[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28
File: y55XtVr.jpg (42 KB, 423x734) Image search: [Google]
y55XtVr.jpg
42 KB, 423x734
Older thread: >>52170085

Intended for users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are three ways to try Linux, you can:

1) Install a Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
2) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full Linux experience".
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with Linux (not recommended)

If you are serious about switching to Linux and if you have Windows dual-booted (recommended for pure newbies),
we recommend you use it exclusively for 2 weeks, and avoid Windows dual booting for that period of time, or it's
likely you will start retreating back to windows instead of getting used to GNU/Linux as your new home and working on
making it feel the way you want it.

>Recommended for beginners:
-Ubuntu MATE
-Debian (For Broadcom devices, use an ISO that includes non-free firmware)
-openSUSE
-LinuxMint (Cinnamon)

Before asking, please find the answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe wine can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
your friendly neighborhood search engine
https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/learn-the-command-line
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/
>>
What is Linux (or GNU/Linux for Stallmanists)?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux

Babby's First Linux (What distro to choose?)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

What software does /g/ recommend? (Please DON'T include the reddit-tier infographic -- refer all your recommended software here.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software

Ricing on Linux (Make it good and functional or make it worse like those at desktop threads)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing

A script designed to ease the transition from Windows to Debian
https://gitgud.io/Chocolate-Chip-Computing/DebianNewbieScript

We now have an entry in the install Gentoo wiki!
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php//flt/

IRC No one uses:
irc://irc.freenode.org:+7000/FriendlyLinux
>>
>trying to be a good citizen
>finished installing a tar.gz to Arch
>now trying to make a PKGBUILD for it and maybe upload to AUR
>ABS, makepkg, PKGBUILD, and Creating a Package are the least well-written things on the Arch wiki
>literally have no idea what i'm doing

god DAMNIT

i'm like 5 seconds away from giving up
>>
File: Capture1.png (26 KB, 661x419) Image search: [Google]
Capture1.png
26 KB, 661x419
I cant even fucking see my own IP with this shit
>>
File: U.jpg (48 KB, 514x597) Image search: [Google]
U.jpg
48 KB, 514x597
>>52183566
it's not windows
>>
How do I install xeyes on Arch? This is important.
>>
>>52183684
xorg-xeyes

also
>implying it's important
>>
>>52183684
 su slapt-get -rpm --add-architecture=arch xeyes && make install
>>
>>52183566
ip addr
ifconfig
>>
File: Capture3.png (23 KB, 665x539) Image search: [Google]
Capture3.png
23 KB, 665x539
>>52183635

So I downloaded the chrome installer but it wont run? Its obviously right there why cant I run it
>>
What does /g/ use as their official music player for Linux Distros?
>>
>>52183726
Thank you.

Also it is important.
>>
>>52183762
Autists: MPD/CMUS
People with Jobs: Clementine/VLC
>>
>>52183761
>being this new
What distro are you using?
>>
File: C.jpg (135 KB, 568x564) Image search: [Google]
C.jpg
135 KB, 568x564
>>52183761
it's still not windows
>>
>>52183761
I'll bite.. or not.
>>
>>52183762
MPD+ncmpcpp
>>
File: Capture4.png (71 KB, 662x535) Image search: [Google]
Capture4.png
71 KB, 662x535
>>52183814

is this it? redhat 4.3.42?

I got this iso from work, i think we use it there
>>
Imagine your operating system being so shit that the init system has to be rewritten from scratch twice in a decade.
>>
File: 1345918956334.jpg (110 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1345918956334.jpg
110 KB, 400x300
>finally thought I got a screen-tear-free setup
>apparently Compton doesn't work with multi-monitor settings and only 1 monitor gets vsync
FUCK
>>
>>52183861
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-install-google-chrome-on-redhat-rhel-fedora-centos-linux/
>>
>>52183420
I still need to fully replace OpenRC with runit-init but I've been lazy.

Bootstrapping at the moment because fuck it.
>>
>>52183880
I've got no tearing on either of my screens and I'm using compton
All I did was specify glx as the backend
>>
>>52183902
Embrace systemd, it's the future, the better future.
>>
When Wayland comes out, will we get a native port of xeyes? weyes if you will.

This is important.
>>
>>52183911
I'm using
compton -b --vsync opengl
on the xrender backend since the glx one doesn't display windows properly (Gallium 0.4 for AMD).

Works fine on my normal monitor, but my portrait monitor still screen tears like hell.
>>
>>52184018
Ah yes, I had an AMD card not long ago and always had terrible tearing. Wish I could help you, anon.
>>
File: images.png (5 KB, 267x189) Image search: [Google]
images.png
5 KB, 267x189
So what's the point of Snappy Ubuntu core? Is there a good reason for me to install this on my rpi2 right now?
>>
>>52183797
>People with Jobs: deadbeef
ftfy
>>
>>52183942
Fuck that, haha
>>
>>52183902
>I still need to fully replace OpenRC
No you don't
>>
>>52183420
CAP WAS RIGHT
>>
>>52184035
if you have to ask, it's pointless for you
>>
what's a good tiling tool for openbox?
>>
>>52184093
OpenRC is shit though, runit is objectively better in any way.
>>
>>52184106
awesome
>>
>>52184113
Not really anon, they both do the job. If you're rebooting that much where it becomes a big deal then you're doing something wrong.
>>
>>52183526
fuck it

this is way too hard
>>
>>52184113
Eh a little hyperbolic

>>52184093
WWhen the goal is to use runit to replace SysV init, I kinda do.
>>
>>52184160
>WWhen the goal is to use runit to replace SysV init, I kinda do.
There's very little reason to need one over the other though.
>>
Dumb question.

What's the purpose of the "lost+found" directory in /home? Literally never seen it used for anything.
>>
>>52183566
you want ifconfig, not ipconfig
>>
>>52184216
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/18154/what-is-the-purpose-of-the-lostfound-folder-in-linux-and-unix
>>
>>52184216
it's used when you run fsck and broken files are recovered.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fsck
>>
>>52184216
It's fsck's designated shitting spot
>>
>>52184142
Arch is intentionally hard and silly.

Go for working distros like Ubuntu MATE or Kubuntu.
>>
>>52184180
It's more of a practice in application.

I figured since its init scripts were relatively simple, it would be a nice learning experience.

Dw, not expecting anything magical.
>>
>>52184034
>>52184018
The glx backend apparently works with
--paint-on-overlay
but it still tears. Fucking AMD.
>>
File: *pancake-astronaut pun here*.jpg (63 KB, 463x564) Image search: [Google]
*pancake-astronaut pun here*.jpg
63 KB, 463x564
/flt/, I'm a relative newfag to linux (macfag, inb4 HAHAHHAHAHAHAH). I installed Xubuntu on an external USB 1 TB drive, and I overwrote os x's default bootup sequence using rEFInd.

It works all fine and dandy, but now I have one issue: every time I open the system directory using Thunar, I can't do more than 2 folder operations (just going through directories) before Thunar freezes, then the whole machine hangs and requires a hard restart.

I managed to get around this problem by doing each and every program operation by running Thunar as root (in terminal: sudo Thunar). I can do everything I want when running Thunar as root, but otherwise it crashes. Any ideas on how to fix?

Specs (if relevant):
Macbook Pro Late 2013, 16GB DDR3 Ram, running Xubuntu 15.04
>>
When I SSH in to my server and start a process it runs until I close the SSH terminal, I believe this is because the process is a child of the shell, how do I circumvent this?
>>
>>52183861
Holy shit, man.

Let me give you some basic terminal commands.

> ls
See what's in current directory
> ifconfig
See your internet information
> iwconfig
See your internet hardware information
> cd
change directory. Do cd .. to go to the prior directory. You can go through directory paths with cd path/to/directory.
> rm
Remove. rm -r for removing an entire directory. rm [directory]/* to empty one. -f to force it, so it won't ask you if you want to delete shit.
> su
Switch user. If you're on a single user system, it will be used exclusively to become root. ctrl-d to leave root; if done at the first user, it closes the terminal.
> ctrl-c
Cut off a process. Try not to do this on processes you need to stay running.
> ps -e
View all processes currently ongoing.
> kill [process]
Use ps -e to find the number of the unwanted process. Use kill to kill it. This might need root privileges and should only be done if there's no other way to stop it. kill -9 forcefully kills it. Not recommended.

Since you're on RHEL, I'm assuming your package manager is DNF and you use .rpm packages. (DNF = Dandified Yum, RPM = Redhat Package Management)

> dnf search (package)
Search for a program. If looking for more than one keyword, put them between apostrophes i.e. dnf search 'four chan'
> dnf install (program)
Install a program. Can put multiple items to be installed.
> dnf grouplist -v
Look at groups of software (development software, desktop environments, libreoffice, games, etc.)
> dnf groupinstall (group)
Install all packages in a group
> dnf info (group)
Look at what's in a group
> dnf remove (program)
> dnf groupremove (group)

> rpm -i
Install a .rpm package. Generally used to add repositories. Get http://rpmfusion.org/ the rpmfusion repositories added (only install the free as in freedom one if you care about free software) and I think google has one that can be downloaded at chrome's website or something. That's how you get chrome; enable the repository and dnf install.
>>
>>52184291
Fair enough, they're both good. Have fun.
>>
>>52184329
install MATE.

Thunar and the whole XFCE DE is outdated and broken.
>>
>>52184360
That doesn't really help.
>>
>>52184329
You shouldn't be running Thunar as root really. I can't really help with your particular problem but running something as root because you have a problem as a user is bad practice and often causes more problems than it solves.
>>
>>52184360
Doesn't really help me anon, I want to figure out the basics of linux and not jump around too much
>>
>>52184360
Youll have to elaborate a little more on that anon seeing as though ive used them for years without problems.
>>
>>52184342
Putting -v or --verbose after a command makes it show you everything it's doing. rm -rv (directory) makes it remove the directory and tell me every item that gets deleted. Will slow down the process considerably.

> zip/unzip
Self-explanatory. Used to create and open .zip packages.
> tar xvf
x eXtracts the archive. v is verbose. f Forces it to. For some reason tar needs to be forced. Used on .tar.bz, tar.gz, tar.bz2, .tar packages.

> vi (text document)
vim is a text editor that comes prepackaged with most linux distros. People have very passionate opinions about it. Needs a bit of learning to use.
> nano -w (text)
Nano generally comes installed, if not use dnf to install it. Simpler than vim but I don't like it much.

Once you've got all these commands down (it looks overwhelming when all put out in one place, but it's quite simple to get the hang of.

I hope I've served a little to right your course. You cannot run .exes on Linux, unless you want to go to the trouble of installing and usine WINE, which I refuse to be a part of.

Most proprietary programs have a linux-compatible version or a linux alternative available.
>>
File: conky2.png (44 KB, 1919x59) Image search: [Google]
conky2.png
44 KB, 1919x59
How do I get conky on top of the gnome panel?
>>
>>52184436
the jump to MATE is usually the last you'll make. Everything just works.
>>
>>52184424
>I can't really help with your particular problem
Not to sound like a faggot, but why not? Is there some kind of error report I can get from when the machine hangs to see what's causing the problem?
>>
>>52184506
I jumped to xfce and everything just werked. What makes MATE any better? And how do I pronounce it?
>>
>>52184577
M8
>>
>>52184284
No, I mean, I already installed the thing. It's just that I want to build a package to do things more-or-less the "official" way and maybe put it onto the AUR.

But goddamn, it's hard.
>>
>>52184577
ive used xfce for years and never used mate.
>>52184360
>>52184506
hasnt helped to make me change my mind.
(Although ive heard good things about it).
>>
>>52184442
I hang out at /g/ almost daily and I see at least 2 times a week a thread of someone having issues with XFCE/Xubuntu. Yet people keep recommending it, God knows why. XFCE is not a bad DE, but it's really not for regular users. Too many things can go wrong, and the benefits are not enough to justify it. RAM use? MATE has the same. Looks? MATE has compiz/mutter. Xubuntu's look helps noobs get a "Windows-ish" experience out of the box? Ubuntu MATE/Preferences/Appearance/MATE tweak/Interface and you can choose between pre-made panel configs to make it look like Windows, Mac OS, early GNOME2, etc.

I used XFCE for years, but I got tired of stability/customization issues. MATE looks and feels almost identical to XFCE, minus the issues.
>>
I see a lot of anti-XFCE sentiment here. I intend to use LXDE with my gentoo install (it just werks, goes blisteringly fast, I find it easy to navigate).

I'm assuming whatever complaints you have about XFCE apply also to LXDE. Can someone redpill me on why not to use it?

> christmas gift captcha
Best present ever.
>>
>"Oh, boy! A /flt/ full of Xfce-experienced users!"
>only two replies on post asking for help
Any suggestions are appreciated, pls >>52184329
>>
>>52184642
If you want everything to just werk you shouldn't go for gentoo in the first place. LXDE is ok tho.

Maybe you should go for Debian netinst + LXDE. You'll get a very fast setup + stability.
>>
>>52184705
>I installed Xubuntu on an external USB 1 TB
That's a really unconventional setup. The problems you're experiencing might not be limited to xfce behavior, and there are too few details to continue.
>>
>>52184739
What else do you need to know? If it helps, here's a screenshot of diskutil list from mac terminal.
>>
>>52184329
I have some questions:

* Describe what you mean by "folder operations". Basic or complex? Lots of files or very simple stuff? Give some examples at the very least.
* Have you tried using a different file manager or just using the terminal instead?
>>
>>52184577
Mate rhymes with "cafe".

Mate and Xfce are different. One isn't necessarily better than the other.

Mate is a fork of Gnome 2 and is still actively being developed. It will eventually go to GTK+3 and have Wayland support. Xfce is still being developed, they've always been less aggressive about tackling things. Mate, in contrast, has a new version released on a regular basis and has clear objectives, most of which get done. You can compare the roadmaps:

https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.14/roadmap
http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/roadmap
>>
>>52184722
I never expected Gentoo to just werk (I blew 12 days of my life trying to install it, then gave up for a day before getting a second wind and installing it within 30 hours).

I realize after posting that that "just werks" was a bad argument for it. I mean I just find it easy to use once it's install without needing to go and adjust things. (I installed Fedora 22 with LXDE on a VM once; best decision I ever made).

I though LXDE was based on XFCE? My laptop can handle MATE but LXDE is a lot faster. What's wrong with XFCE to make the speed not worth it?
>>
>>52184839
>Describe what you mean by "folder operations"
Very, very basic. No transfers of any kind. Just opening directories and looking through folders, no opening files.

Example:
>Open "File System" shortcut on desktop using Thunar
>Open any folder, say /sys
>usually freezes before I can open another folder from there

>Have you tried using a different file manager or just using terminal
terminal works fine, and I haven't tried any other file managers. I did find a workaround by using sudo Thunar in terminal, but apparently that's bad practice.
>>
>>52184892
>>Open any folder, say /sys
Uhh. Hmm... So, this happens with *every* folder, or just root-level folders?
>>
>>52184884
LXDE, as a concept, is an "extremely lightweight" XFCE. That's the developer's objective. It has very little code from XFCE, and that's it. Not really "code based", just "spirit based".

Since LXDE is a very abstract DE, issues are rare. If you're ok with the way it looks (which is literally the only downside), go with LXDE. MATE is a good idea when you want a more robust, customizable, eye-candy distro without going for the RAM hogs (KDE, GNOME3, Cinnamon)
>>
>>52184640
All i ever got was the occasional screen tear nothing else compton fixed that.
Besides ive never recommended anything here.
>>
>>52184951
This is *every* folder. Did a fresh test just for you <3. I opened File System from the Desktop shortcut, then went to /home, then /home/documents, then the machine did its same routine. First Thunar stopped responding, then the whole machine died. Had to hard reset, booted back in to mac oh eh sex, typed what happened, and posted this very post :^)
>>
>>52185014
Hm. My only other tips would be to check your logs:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd#Journal

Find messages from around the time of a crash and see what they say.

Also, try updating your system and/or reinstalling Thunar.

The fact that you're on a 1TB USB is probably the actual culprit, but it doesn't hurt to be check for other things.
>>
>>52185227
Thanks, anon. Will do
>>
Bumping.

Why does my gentoo system try to mount the root lvm before decrypting the drive? Using systemd and GRUB2.

Yeah, I know I asked it last thread; I generated an initramfs with
genkernel --udev --luks --lvm --mdadm --install initramfs

And added
crypt_root=/dev/sda2 vgchange -ay

to grub.cfg under the kernel selection options.

Not sure what the issue is.
>>
File: Sapphire R9 380X.png (935 KB, 1713x1013) Image search: [Google]
Sapphire R9 380X.png
935 KB, 1713x1013
Passing a 380X to a Qemu VM. What am I getting into?
>>
File: coding.gif (3 MB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
coding.gif
3 MB, 500x375
Been having hella trouble installing metasploit. Tips? Other pentesting installs?
Been on Debian jessie for 2weeks now w/ zsh
>>
is it autism if i go through every screensaver in xscreensaver and find which ones i like best?
>>
>>52186386
boarding on it
>>
>>52184333
screen is a nice tool
>>
>>52184596
Try irc, you might find help on #arch on freenode or something.
>>
>>52184342
>>52184446
Is there a meaningful difference between RHEL and CentOS? Other than RHEL you pay for the support, aren't they both free and largely the same?
>>
>>52186600
The meaningful difference between RHEL and CentOS is the Red Hat.
>>
What distro should I write to a stick and carry around to show to friends/family? I was thinking Mint normies could use it and get behind it, since most of the people who'd want to switch off of botnet10 don't need it for anything other than a facebook machine.
>>
>>52186600
Centos is community enterprise operating system. It's based on Fedora which is based on RHEL and sponsored by Red Hat.

I tried it once and it wouldn't detect my wireless cards. If you want a RGEL-like distro without paying for anything use Fedora.
>>
>>52183762
cmus/rhythmbox
>>
>>52183942
It's his computer. Maybe he likes runit because he won't need to worry about service files or stop jobs.

Enough shilling.
>>
>>52186768
Cent and RHEL are both based on Fedora.
>>
>>52184113
Runit is simpler, OpenRC is kind of like the emacs of modular init systems. Runit also manages services and keeps them alive.

What is interesting is that OpenRC is not an Init, it only starts programs, so Runit can start OpenRC runlevels. So you can have a nice hybrid setup. However, I don't think Runit can restart any OpenRC spawned daemons, but considering OpenRC doesn't restart them anyway, it's fine.
>>
>>52186877
So, runit is the vi of init?
>>
>>52184446
The -f option on GNU tar causes it to read from a file, rather than make an archive, as far as I know.
>>
>>52184446
The vi command doesn't open vim on many distros, but I believe it does on Debian derivatives.
>>
What Desktop enviroment should I get if I want something not super intensive (kde plasma is a bit much for my laptop) but smooth, snappy and uncluttered, I hate having big application docks. So far I've found cinnamon alright but a bit bland, plasma is too intensive. XFCE looks a bit bland to me, is there a way to pretty it up? What about gnome? how do people feel about that. Ideally suggestions could come with a picture of a desktop and info on what customisation took it there from the stock version.
>>
>>52184577
Pronounced either way. Some pronounce it like the Spanish word, other read m8. It's open to interpretation, any one who tells you otherwise is autistic.

As far as I know, MATE uses a bit more memory than XFCE, and while XFCE uses GTK2, MATE (I think) uses GTK3. Mate sticks a bit closer to modern GNOME, which is a plus or a minus depending on your opinion. Try both and see what you like.
>>
>>52184596
The worst part probably is when your package conflicts with something, and you gotta hunt down he different forks of that package in the AUR and Community repos. Package management is so overly complicated.
>>
>>52183762
Deadbeef is nice.
>>
>>52184642
I used LXQT for a week or so, and that shit was blazing fast. Didn't last long though, I was using Arch with Runit, and I didn't set everything up properly. Nice while it lasted. PCmanFM is also nice.
>>
>>52186924
MATE/GNOME.
>>
>>52186935
MATE is literally GNOME 2.
>>
>>52184838
Probably not an issue with the installation being on an external disk. Try opening a terminal, running thunar, and seeing what messages appear in the terminal as thunar crashes. In theory, Thunar should not crash the system by crashing. Pretty serious issue you are having. It might eventually be fixed by an update, but I have no experience w/ Xubuntu, and very little w/ Ubuntu.
>>
>>52184884
How is Gentoo going? I've been wanting to try it.
>>
Is it possible to not even understand the beginners guide to installing arch linux on the arch wiki?
I feel like I'm making that possible, can't even get past disk partitioning.
Somebody walk me through this please.

I'm on cfdisk on the disk i want to install arch onto (my ssd) with the directory /dev/sdb right, so as far as I'm aware I'm supposed to create a new partition thats 110GB (/dev/sdb1) (its a 120 something GB SSD), make the type for that one linux filesystem, then make another thats the remainder of the storage space (/dev/sdb2), change that type to linux swap, then commit the changes.
Theres no selection in this "gui" that can change the flag on a partition to bootable, which is a kick in the balls

Then im supposed to go mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdb1 right?
But, it tells me that directory doesn't exist.
I'm stumped, absolutely stumped.

Maybe I should just keep using linux mint
>>
>>52186386
No. It's just reminiscent of those days in childhood spend fucking around with the XP screensavers. Xscreensaver is like a candyshop.
>>
>>52187013
Just use GParted and mount it later.
>>
>>52186206
A fun ride if you see it that way.
>>
>>52186891
Maybe you could say that. And sinit is like the nano of inits. Systemd like Atom, and Upstart like Sublime.
>>
>>52186341
Put Kali on a stick and don't pester you debian install with that stuff.
>>
>>52187041
I bricked over the OS in the process of all this so I only have a macbook available to me now, should I install mint on another usb, run it from there and use gparted from that to modify the partitioning on the ssd?
>>
>>52183420
how did canonical get away with upstart and no one said shit and then they freak out over systemd
>>
>>52187069
Instead of Mint, just download the GParted Live.
http://gparted.org/download.php
>>
>>52187013
The command line partition tools can be a little intimidating to new users, and they certainly took me a couple tries to understand. If you want, boot up a live DVD of a distro w/ a GUI and use KDE Partition Manager or GParted to do the partitioning, then complete the beginner guide. That's what I did my first time. Don't be discouraged. Keep going.
>>
>>52187059
Sublime is useless though.
>>
>>52186703
Mint for normies is great. You might have problems showing cinnamon off on old computers though. I suspect cutting edge hardware is not something normies usually have so the ancient kernel versions shouldn't be a problem.
>>
File: 1449075593384.png (62 KB, 1253x604) Image search: [Google]
1449075593384.png
62 KB, 1253x604
>>52183420
>>https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/learn-the-command-line
into the trash it goes
>>
>>52187097
Atom is pretty shitty too. But they all have their charms to some people. Some people like editing code with nano and pico for some reason. When someone uses nano becuase they've never tried Emacs or Vim, those are the people you should feel sorry for.
>>
>>52187107
>Scroogle
>Botbook

cp -r ~/codeacademy .Trash
>>
>>52187059
systemd is the geany 2bh familia
>>
Pulseaudio doesn't make my USB DAC the main source of audio output, what do?
Stuff like music player shows up properly but for example Thunderbird still plays notification sounds off the speaker which is annoying.

Any way to force it? Disabling the speakers just mutes the sound.
>>
>>52187099
I've been able to use Cinnamon Mint on a 1gb ram core2duo as a media PC for the parents, it's actually pretty ok, better than how they were plugging a laptop into the tv from the floor.

>>52187090
I would be all good, I was following a youtube tutorial, and that was working exactly up until the point where his cfdisk was different to mine
>>52187085
I'll try this because it's probably smaller than mint to redownload, cheers
>>
>>52187150
I said Atom because I've used Atom, and I found it inelegant, slow, and useless, despite having buttloads of features. Haven't used geany.

>tfw 3 stop jobs when shutting down
>tfw gotta write a service file for that thing I want to do

Sysvinit is probably cat, though.
>>
>>52187169
I've always used gdisk, on GPT/EFI. Or fdisk if on a MBR/BIOS setup.
>>
>>52187190
The wiki suggested 3 different partition managers that could be used with command lines, cfdisk was the most ideal but even then I wasn't getting anywhere.
Downloading Gparted ISO, 10up, 10down but somehow taking a million years to download it
>>
I'm using SSH over ethernet + wifi, and the display is pretty slow. The host is a just-installed Linux Mint 17.3 and the client's putty on windows. I would expect it to be much less...laggy, for lack of a better term, and i recall it being better last time I did this on a different install. Anything I can do to tweak things?
>>
>>52187231
Have fun. Be sure to read carefully. Don't get frustrated. Be patient. Research anything you're doubtful about. Good luck!
>>
>>52187275
I tend to find linux mint runs sluggish until I change the graphics drivers to the recommended ones and restart, might help you, might not
>>
File: before after pol.jpg (213 KB, 1659x1000) Image search: [Google]
before after pol.jpg
213 KB, 1659x1000
Will I be looked down upon by elite Arch users if I install Manjaro Linux?
>>
>>52187275
belay that....

More in-depth and accurate representation of problem:
Linux Laptop is on wifi.
Windows Desktop is wired to the same router.

Pinging the laptop from the desktop results in wild variance - 50-200ms
Pinging the desktop from the laptop is as expected ~1ms

What could be causing the slow ping?
>>
>>52187378
http://allanmcrae.com/2013/01/manjaro-linux-ignoring-security-for-stability/
>>
>>52187378
Probably. Arch users look down on everybody for some reason.

Manjaro is pretty nice.
>OpenRC support
>MHWD automatic HW detection
>YAST-like GUI for configuration
>Installer
>Good default desktop configurations for loads of desktops
>More stable (3-week pkg delay)
>Yaourt installed by default

Not bad, IMO.
>>
>>52187275
sounds like the wifi is going to sleep or something. try another kernel module/ driver whatever you're using. maybe even pick up a cheap usb wifi and see if there's any change.
>>
>>52187408
see >>52187396
>>
>>52187410
WiFi sleep problems can be remedied w/ powertop.
>>
File: fuckmanjaro.jpg (538 KB, 610x1420) Image search: [Google]
fuckmanjaro.jpg
538 KB, 610x1420
>>52187408
>More stable (3-week pkg delay)
nice meme
>>
>>52187426
>Implying desktop OSes have any meaningful security
Nice shitpost.

It certainly is a tradeoff. I wouldn't recommend it on a computer that is open to the internet, like a server. I wouldn't recommend Arch on a server either.
>>
>>52187079
they didn't get away with it. the reason is that systemd has bugs that an init should never have. this is not the right place to discuss systemd though.
>>
>>52187396
>>52187414
>>52187426
That's a very idiotic rant. How can you be sure that the latest software don't bring more security problems?
>>
>>52184385
It may not help, but it has some underlying truths.
The competition for Thunar is mostly Dolphin for KDE, or Nautilus for Gnome. Both of these are as close as Linux gets to THE file manager (like Windows Explorer). But where people developed alternates to Explorer to get features like dual-pane views that Microsoft just wouldn't put in for a decade, there isn't a similar case in Linux.
Thunar isn't a more feature rich choice that many users avoid because it's too complex, it's a more light-weight choice, that many users avoid because they have beefier systems that can run more. And support people and developers are not exactly known for having old slow machines that need a light-weight file manager, so there's not as much support. This makes Thunar, (and lighter weight desktop environments like XFCE or LXDE) only attractive if the user can't or doesn't want to run modern Gnome, go back to Old Gnome that's more customizable, switch to KDE that's really customizable, etc.
If the user is in that situation, they have to decide if they are willing to learn enough about the terminal to compensate for an old machine's shortcomings, etc, and Thunar is only one part of a multi-step solution to deal with tight memory and processor requirements - it stops being something you compare head to head to, say, Nautilus, by itself.
>>
>>52187420
>>52187410
How would I fix that problem with powertop?
>>
>>52183902
I'm currently running OpenRC because it was preinstalled with Gentoo.
What is the whole debate about init systems anyway? Should I care? What is is about runit and OpenRC being like "vi and emacs of init managers" or whatever?
>>
>>52187469
systemd rocks i wasnt trying to start anything lol. people who cant write units should be exempt from any discussion though for sure
>>
>>52187527
systemd doesn't "rock". it's not even necessarily better than sysVinit. the problem is that we don't have a better alternative at the moment (for most users). i really hope the development of gnu dmd in guixsd keeps up. (no, it didn't stop and the actual development is still active)
>>
>>52184342
Not him.
Didn't actually know about ps -e one. Used htop all the time instead.
>>52184446
>>52184446
> tar xvf
>x eXtracts the archive. v is verbose. f Forces it to. For some reason tar needs to be forced. Used on .tar.bz, tar.gz, tar.bz2, .tar packages.
Wait, you don't need to to add j J z or whatever in options? Didn't know that. I've been bothering with stuff that didn't matter, apparently.
>>
>>52187502
fixed without powertop by just turning off power management with the wifi driver.

Odd thing to cause problems, but whatever.
>>
>>52187477
You can't. But you'd be an idiot to knowingly not install security fixes to avoid unknown possible security issues.
>>
>>52187507
Runit is neat because the service scripts are real simple, and much of the time, you can just make a symlink to an executable to make it start at boot. Not only that, Runit (and the daemontools init that inspired it) restart services when they die, and provide nice, simple tools for creating service scripts, written in Bash. OpenRC has a lot of features, leading to us jokingly comparing it to emacs. OpenRC only starts up programs, and nothing else, but is quite powerful. You really shouldn't care too much. It's a fun thing to fool around with. A lot of us don't like systemd because you need to write a service file (like a config file) for each program you want it to start, and it has a custom syntax. It also can hang (stop jobs on shutdown, for example). It's okay, but not my favorite. You really should not care, just learn a little about each one, and pick whatever one you like, as long as you don't shill for it. Doesn't make a big difference for most people.
>>
>>52187559
We have a lot of great replacement init systems, many with a large amount of features that people usually won't miss from systemd, but that some need. These include OpenRC, daemontools, Runit, Upstart (not recommended unless on Debian or Ubuntu), and a few more. The main thing is that a Logind reimplementation needs to exist, that isn't dependent on systemd-init. Logind provides a way to run X.Org without root privilege, but otherwise provides only a few advantages over consolekit2, it's competitor on the scene of session managers. Loginkit by the GNU Guix people should serve this purpose, but I haven't tried it.

TLDR: Lot's of replacements, logind on them is not quite widespread, but logind isn't necessary by any means. Just nice to have, if you can tolerate DBus.
>>
>>52187648
Don't you need a service for every program you autostart in OpenRC too? Isn't it what /etc/init.d is?
>>
>>52187011
Installed Gentoo about half a year ago, from scratch, before that only worked on Linux in VMs, use it every day now. Also have a neighbor in a dorm who runs Arch.
If you have something more concrete to ask, might be able to answer.
>>
Would switching to linux be a bad idea if I play a lot of games? That's the only thing holding me back. I don't really feel like dual booting and switching to windows every time I want to play something

I know there's WINE but I'm worried about compatibility and any input lag it may add?
>>
>>52187836
dual-booting is convenient. takes like 20 seconds to switch between windows and GNU/Linux. you could use windows in a VM and do a GPU-Passthrough. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF
compatibility depends on what you play. could you list your 5 top most played games?
>>
>>52187883
>GNU/Linux
but I use busybox.
>>
>>52187883
Not him.
>dual-booting is convenient. takes like 20 seconds to switch between windows and GNU/Linux
Not with my Windows load times.
>you could use windows in a VM and do a GPU-Passthrough.
Requires VT-d and two graphics cards, unfortunately. The second one I have, the first one I don't.
That said, most of my games worked surprisingly well on Linux, but I am mostly into indie or old stuff, and most old things run just fine on emulators. Those few relatively new games I play I got lucky with Wine.
>>
File: surf-20091028.jpg (109 KB, 1024x600) Image search: [Google]
surf-20091028.jpg
109 KB, 1024x600
Has anyone tried StaLi Linux? How does it compare to, say, a vanilla Arch Linux kernel?

http://sta.li/
>>
>>52187576
>f Forces it to. For some reason tar needs to be forced.

f is files, not force. By default tar extracts it to stdout.
>>
>>52187559
suit yourself then haha. wow people get so uppity

thanks for your opinion tho : )
>>
>>52184446
>>52187974
>>
>>52187922
have fun running steam without glibc
>>
>>52187883
>could you list your 5 to most played games
Dirt Rally and some other racing games
Mushihimesama and other shmups
Guilty gear xrd and other fighting games.
Pretty much all games where performance and no added lag are important.

I'll look into that pass through thing and set up a dual boot to see how long it takes on my machine, but I still don't like the idea of going through all that trouble
>>
>>52187974
Don't you mean that by default it reads from stdin, or do I not understand something?
>>
>>52186341
just type sudo apt-get install hack

and then type 'hack server' and you win all the internets
>>
>>52188001
>implying you can't use glibc and busybox at the same time

Don't be dumb, anon
>>
>>52188005
First things first check your processor on ark.intel.com , in case you have Intel, or wherever you check the processors for AMD.
Look for VT-d function. VT-x is prerequisite for it, but is not enough for itself.
If your processor doesn't fit, you can't use the passthrough. Also, two graphics cards are essential too.
This thing basically takes one of these graphics cards and assigns it permanently to a virtual machine, so that there's no overhead in calling to it. VT-d is pretty much the capability to do that, which is why it's important.
>>
Why is cron such a finicky piece of shit?
>>
>>52188038
you effectively use a part of GNU then.
>>
>>52188007

By default it should read from stdin (when using the c switch [create]), but it refuses to do so.

tar: refusing to read archive contents from terminal

In the same way, by default it should write to stdout (when using the x switch [extract]), but it refuses to do so.

tar: refusing to write archive contents to terminal
>>
>>52187922
Then you're on your own.
>>
>>52188079
Seriously though, using a part of GNU doesn't make your WHOLE system GNU.
An OS is comprised of the kernel (the Operating System Proper), the shell (bash, I've replaced it with zsh) and Utilities, which is comprised of many things, such as editing files (vi, GNU can't make a proper editor, nano and emacs are shit), copying files (coreutils, subsitituted with busybox) etc.
>>
>>52188189
>Kernel (Operating System Proper)
where did you get this definition?
>>
>>52188057
Ok, definitely can't do the pass through then. Looks like I'd be stuck dual booting if WINE is no good
>>
>>52188217
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoVQTPbD6UY#t=1m28s
>>
>>52188189
why use alpine other than personal beef with the gnu project or the fsf? and if you have that beef, why use parts of GNU at all?
>>52188234
>the OS is made out of three parts
you only hear what you want to hear don't you?
>>
>>52188268
He said "Operating System Proper" though.
>>
>>52188268
>why use alpine other than personal beef with the gnu project or the fsf? and if you have that beef, why use parts of GNU at all?

I care about bloat. And GNU is bloat.
https://gist.github.com/pete/665971
>>
>>52188290
>>52188268
And who said I use Alpine?
>>
>>52188219
Check the appdb.winehq.org , it lists the compatibility for all kinds of games for Wine and it's user-managed.
Just check the ones you play and the ones you might want to play.
Also, if the game is not very graphically intensive, you might get away with running it in a VM anyway.
>>
So uh... What kind of things can you do on Linux?
>>
>>52189540
Everything Windows can but play games it's just more freeTM :^)
>>
>>52189556
You can play games at gnu/linux.
When will this meme end?
>>
>>52189573
You can't play game on GNU. Because it's proprietary. But you can play game on Linux, because Linux isn't bound to a philosophy.
>>
>>52189617
wat
>playing games on a kernel
>playing games on gnu coreutils
read some books
Also GNU/Linux doesn't "disallow" running games.
>>
>>52189617
you're the shitty apps guy aren't you?
>>52189540
do whatever you want. install shit, break shit, learn stuff, play games, use stuff, change stuff...
>>
>>52189631
Games is proprietary, and it is clear on GNU website that:

"You can't run proprietary software."

Game is software, and according to us, GNU, proprietary isn't allow. So we have no games because it is proprietary.
>>
>>52189573
You can play games, you can't play all games. Probably not the ones I want to play.
>>
>>52189617
>philosophy
The philosophy is about licensing the shit free so you can do what you want with it, except making it non-free. What you actually do with your free shit, is your own cup of tea.
>>
>>52189657
Shitty apps guy has moved to reddit, anon.
>>
>>52189661
Pretty subtile windows shilling m8.
Spread your disinformation somewhere else.
>>
>>52189707
Read again what I say in >>52189617.
You can't run games in GNU, but you can run games in Linux.
>>
>>52189694
i sure hope so.
>>52189661
learn to read everything instead of just the things you want to hear busybox anon.
>>
>>52189714
Kill yourself.
>>
>>52189717
>I sure hope so
https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/3ya67j/install_arch_infographic/
>>
File: 1448029848597.jpg (7 KB, 240x237) Image search: [Google]
1448029848597.jpg
7 KB, 240x237
It boils my mind why would you come to this thread every single fucking day and waste your time shilling windows.

It's ridiculous.
>>
File: 1428360862287.jpg (223 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
1428360862287.jpg
223 KB, 1200x1200
>>52189714
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>52184238
because you care about interfaces not ip addresses
>>
File: 1430093438259.jpg (234 KB, 688x1434) Image search: [Google]
1430093438259.jpg
234 KB, 688x1434
>>52189752
>>
>>52189727
>I can't argue
>>
>>52189755
Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

Stallman wouldn't say "basically"
>>
>>52183420
Why are Linux faggots so shitty when their os is proven to be shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFR7C6peQhY
>>
File: 1444509162464.jpg (330 KB, 806x938) Image search: [Google]
1444509162464.jpg
330 KB, 806x938
>>52189755
>>
>>52183911
I can eliminate the scree tearing if I only use one monitor. As soon as I add an external to my laptop, it's starts tearing. I have to disable one of the two screens to get the tearing to go away again.
>>
>>52187967
vanilla arch kernel is bloated..
almost all modules are set "m"
and as for the static linux, it won't be as lightweight as gentoo or arch linux.
>>
>>52189817
with compton that is
>>
>>52189806
>Mint
well, his fault for using an Ubuntu rip-off.
>>
>>52189834
play with the settings
try
compton --backend xrender
>>
>>52189856
Ok, I'll try, thanks.
>>
>>52189801
>arguing with NSA shills
>>
>>52189810
Fuck
#wrecked
>>
>>52189810
>not even real copypasta
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>52189755
I watched that interview where he speeled that off
Aspergers/10

>>52187013
>>52187169
>>52187231

I'm this guy and I'm back
I made big progress, installed most of the important junk, now I want to put on GRUB for my bootloader but its pretty tricky and I'm not getting everything the wiki is trying to tell me

before I go any further my prompt is stuck as
[root@archiso /]#
Is this going to stop me from installing grub? if it is how do i get back to just root#

right so i divvied up my ssd into four portions with gparted (thanks to >>52187085)
and they go as follows
/dev/sdb1 size 512M EFI System
/dev/sdb2 size 20g Linux filesystem (intended to be /home)
/dev/sdb3 size 8g swap (yes, I'm entirely retarded)
/dev/sdb4 size 90g linux filesystem (intended to be /)
I made sure that the 20g home was mounted as home, the 90g was mounted as, well, mount, the swap was on and that the 512m efi system is fat32 and has the boot flag on it.

Did I mess anything up or am I clear to move on and install GRUB, and how exactly would I do that?
The wiki says
"# grub-install --recheck --target=i386-pc /dev/sdx
# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg"
but that seems super dodgy to me, surely the "--target=i386pc" part isn't the same on every system? or am I wrong?

Cheers fellas
Also if I were to turn this off soon would I be able to turn it back on tomorrow and pick up where I left off or would I bone it by doing that before it's 100% done? I'm pretty tired.
>>
>>52189900
no real scotsman
>>
>>52189909
I just came here to clarify that I did not read anything of that because the text provided is too long.
>>
>>52189877
Fuck off, Topcuck420.
>>
>>52189909
>20G
>/home
Are you fucking dumb?
>>
>>52189961
>I can't argue
>>
>>52189909
You got / and /home backwards.
>>
>>52189961
Get out, Morpheus.
>>
>>52189979
>tinfoil that much
>>52189985
>implying I'm Morpheus
>not Galactus
:^]
>>
Maybe the serious helping anons should use tripcodes so we can differ who we can trust.
>>
>>52189984
I think I would much rather run out of space in /home than in /
>>
>>52190009
1) help yourself
2) tripcodes are for fags
>>
>>52189984
well crap

>>52190009
Yeah would be nice
I think they've gone away because there's too many assholes in the thread atm
>>52189972
This isn't the only hard drive in my system, friend.
>>
>>52190009
Good idea but we are not on reddit so no
>>
>>52190053
>I'd rather accidently delete my hard drive than getting associated with plebbit
>>
>>52190071
I'd rather have a working copy of arch linux and a non-formatted hard drive then get upset over an internet website.
>>
>>52190071
Get out, shitty apps guy.
>>
>>52190087
>I can't argue
>>
File: 1447339710543.jpg (14 KB, 634x450) Image search: [Google]
1447339710543.jpg
14 KB, 634x450
>>52190087
who is this shitty apps guy i've been hearing so much about?

It's the guy who asks for help and then repeatedly makes dumb mistakes on purpose just to piss people off?
>>
>>52190114
It's some faggot who made an infographic about lunix apps, inclusive non-free software.
>>
>>52190114
He was famous for making shitty infographics.
>>
>>52186924
MATE + MATE tweak + Compiz or Mutter.
>>
File: 1432618537792.jpg (89 KB, 800x544) Image search: [Google]
1432618537792.jpg
89 KB, 800x544
>>52190133
Where is the problem?
>>
File: 1445806004276.jpg (40 KB, 256x259) Image search: [Google]
1445806004276.jpg
40 KB, 256x259
From my nearly 2 years worth of ganoo/loonatix experience I can safely say that from all the desktop environments I've tried Mate (former gnome2) provides the most "complete" experience.

Which in return boggles my mind why on fucking earth gnome foundation ditched it for the sake of this crazy behemoth called gnome3.
>>
>>52186935
MATE and XFCE use the same memory. difference is impossible to distinguish. Now, if you change the default's WM of MATE (Marco, sometimes Openbox) to openGL animated WMs (like Compiz or Mutter) more resources will be needed.

MATE is still GTK2, maybe later this year that will change.
>>
>>52184545
I just don't know what the problem might be. You could check your logs in /var/log, see if there is anything unusual in there. Otherwise search google, chances are someone else had come across the same problem. And check arch/gentoo wiki for what you're trying to do, make sure you have everything set up correctly.
>>
>>52190162
Everything.
>maim bloat over scrot
>Dolphin KDE bloat over thunar
>bloated terminology
>dropbox
>VIVALDI
>>
>>52190180
Perhaps in another 2 years you will understand enough about gnome to know why they are doing what they are doing.
>>
>>52190192
scrot is also bloat
>what is import

>Dolphin KDE bloat over thunar
>bloated terminology
>dropbox
>VIVALDI
kek, what the hell
>>
>thread still full of retards
righto I'm off to bed
>>
>>52190238
it's 1503 anon
>>
>>52187836
I use Linux Mint MATE x64 + Steam for Linux for compatible games, and Wine for the others.

I don't feel the difference between Linux and Windows performance while gaming, but I'm not fps-obsessed. Maybe you should try it and see if it satisfies you.
>>
>>52190238
Thanks mate, one less.
>>
>>52190212
I' just leaving this here. Take screenshots with ease using import (Imagemagick should be standard on most systems).

from xbindkeysrc:

# Screenshot: screen
"import +repage -window root ~/scrots/scrot_$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S).png"
m:0x0 + c:96
F12

# Screenshot: window
"import +repage -screen ~/scrots/scrot_$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S).png"
m:0x8 + c:96
Alt + F12

# Screenshot: crop
"import +repage ~/scrots/scrot_$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S).png"
m:0x4 + c:96
Control + F12
>>
>>52190238
it's 11:04 here. Where are you anon, India?
>>
>>52190301
>11
Ah, Amerifats.
>>
So i'm using arch on my laptop right now. Not having a problem, but I'm afraid it'll bite me back sometime. Should I go to Xubuntu? the reason that made me go to arch was rolling release and newer packages ( I had to use some newer versions than available on ubuntu repos for college)
>>
File: 1447269179898s.jpg (1 KB, 124x108) Image search: [Google]
1447269179898s.jpg
1 KB, 124x108
>>52190296
yall niggers don't just press "prt scr" on ur kb to take a screenshot?
>>
File: 0091211.jpg (53 KB, 350x302) Image search: [Google]
0091211.jpg
53 KB, 350x302
>>52190357
>he uses a bloated preconfigured distro
>>
>>52190357
>shitty ass save as popups
>no formatting
>>
>learn about spacemacs
>as a beginner vim user this sounds pretty sweet
>not in arch repos
>not in AUR
I really don't want to get it from github..
>>
>>52190411
Just use emacs friend
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.