[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does buying a NAS have any advantages over just getting a generic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3
File: qnap-ts-569_pro-100391618-orig.jpg (3 MB, 3251x3276) Image search: [Google]
qnap-ts-569_pro-100391618-orig.jpg
3 MB, 3251x3276
Does buying a NAS have any advantages over just getting a generic hard disk for my computer and sharing it on my network?

I want a place to store all my films and TV shows so I can stream them to my media centre pc.

At the moment I just share specific folders on my desktop PC that contain my films and TV shows over my workgroup.
>>
>>52110762
Let see.

>It's easier to use because of the software being made for tech iliterates
>It's low power
>It has Programs that server media to any PC and or TV
>It can share files to any and all computers/phones/TV's/etc...
>It's lower power then your Computer
>It's quieter then your computer
>It's easier to maintain.

The only CON is they are expensive as fuck.
>>
>>52110804
My computer does all this and it's always on so power consumption doesn't matter.

Is it worth the extra cost in my case?
>>
>>52110804
>>The only CON is they are expensive as fuck.
I don't really see the point of a prefab NAS unit because of this. Are hotswap bays really the only thing they offer over, say, a cheap $170 dell server with FreeNAS slapped on? Hell, even a cheap used Xeon power hog would probably be cheaper in the long run compared to a prebuilt NAS.
>>
They're like $200 guys they're not expensive.
>>
>>52110833
Depends , do you have multiple computers and require to acess your files from outside your house and network?
If you do then you can get a NAS and acess in and outside your home all your files.
If you don't then its not worth it.

>>52110876
I know I just got a Cheap ass HP microserver for 80$ slapped another 4 gigs of ecc ram and filled it to the brim with 4 TB drives ( I need to get more ram FreeNAS is about to comit ZFS sudoku kek)
>>
>>52110833
may be a con if you want to be on the safe side using RAID on the NAS. (can ofc be done on the pc too)
>>
>>52110900
$200 Bucks if you get one with an ARM chipset, and those suck donkey balls.
>>
>>52110929
All I want is more hard drive space to store my films and tv shows. Without having to store them on my media centre's storage since it doesn't have one (rasperry pi)
>>
>>52110978
Then your better off spending $100 on HP microserver g7 googling XPEnology and using that.
It's the cheapest NAS you can get.
>Inb4HP is bad meme
It's a given fact that HP microservers are based.
>>
>>52110950
Why does what processor it have matter? It's a hard drive isn't it?
>>
File: 404001ua[1].png (19 KB, 604x421) Image search: [Google]
404001ua[1].png
19 KB, 604x421
>>52110762
i litteraly just bought a new readynas 102 yesterday, to replace my ancient synology diskstation 106. i was overwhelmed to be honest. i can't find a reason not to get one, if you have the money and use for one.

i its even based on linux :)
>>
>>52111005
Processor does matter if you want to make large file transfers and want to do it fast you need a good CPU.
>>
File: 414177ZH[1].png (84 KB, 1274x669) Image search: [Google]
414177ZH[1].png
84 KB, 1274x669
>>52111030
>>
>>52110999
>$100 on HP microserver g7
Where? Genuinely curious.
>>
>>52111087
Seems very nice, I'm just struggling to justify spending the additional money instead of just buying a 1TB HD, installing it in my PC and going right click > share with > homegroup
>>
>>52111134
Everywhere that still sells them.
You just have to get the ones with only the motherboard in them.

There's a few on ebay just under 100$ in auction right now.
>>
>>52111139
having the pc on all the time? scheduled backups? you can host a website on it, run as cloud storage, vpn server built in, you can even make it do normal server stuff as the ssh is open per default, after you enable it.

the thing is not very powerful though
>>
And I just found this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-ProLiant-Micro-Server-N40L-Turion-II-1-5Ghz-8GB-RAM-3TB-HDDs-SSD-Boot-Disk/131687053477?_trksid=p2045573.c100034.m2102&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20131003150253%26meid%3D0727f64b3a644d1d9fc4138dce112d02%26pid%3D100034%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D191768875570
>>
>>52111139
The only real advantage is that it is a separate physical machine which means that if you are sharing a file on your dedicated nas and then have to restart your pc for some some reason then you are fine, it frees up some bandwidth for your main pc (not that this would be a huge issue), or if you actually shut down your machine like normal home users. Otherwise, I can't think of any other real advantages.

>>52111211
What should I search for? I tried "hp microserver" and all I found were $200+.

Thanks, m8
>>
>>52111255
See this one is fully loaded >>52111240
>>
>>52111062
It also matters if you want to set it up as some akin to a Plex server, because that involves transcoding which requires a fair chunk of muscle.
>>
>>52111233
>having the pc on all the time? scheduled backups? you can host a website on it, run as cloud storage, vpn server built in, you can even make it do normal server stuff as the ssh is open per default, after you enable it.
Can you not just configure your normal desktop PC for all this stuff?
>>
>>52111299
That too
>>
>>52111233
I guess if you put it that way I could probably find some use for those features.
>>
>>52111307
Yeah but its a bit redudant to make backups of hard drives to stick them in the same machine.
>>
>>52111307
but it consumes more power and some would say its not good for the computer, but yes, you could.

also factor in the noise, my computer is loud. then again i have both my NAS and a commercial server running around the clock, so leaving my computer on won't make much difference
>>
>>52111299
I don't think I need any of that transcoding stuff. At the moment Kodi is just reading the files straight off my computer and playing them.
>>
>>52111405
Yeah I know but assuming it's a different physical disk then it's no different from any other onsite backup.

>>52111408
I know it wouldn't be proper, I was just pondering the logistics. I (not op) am setting up a dedicated box but mostly so I can hook it to my tv and not have my desktop on all the time.

Thanks everyone, your info has been very helpful.
>>
>>52111482
Actually there are multiple ways a backup can get fucked up in the same PC.
Also
>Onsite Backup =/= On Machine Backup.
>>
Are "NAS ready" hard disks just a marketing ploy? Are they any different to a normal hard disk?
>>
>>52111623
Depends on the hard drive and the Brand.

For example.

WD's NAS RED drives are lot better in some aspects in 24/7 working enviroments for a multitude of reasons.
>>
Anyone ever tried using a rasperry pi as a nas?
>>
>>52111561
>Actually there are multiple ways a backup can get fucked up in the same PC.
>>Onsite Backup =/= On Machine Backup.
I'm sorry, I'm failing to see a difference but that may be because I've been up for 18 hours straight and can only envision my setup. In a home server setup where I have a deskop that is not always on (only on when I'm home and using a computer) or a server that is always on, what difference does it make which pc the backup drive is in? The backup drive is a separate physical drive that contains a complete copy of data that exists in at least one other physical location.

My actual set up is a bit different. The data exists in two complete copies, one internal drive on my server (network share) and two external hard drives. The server drive is mirrored monthly (or whenever I feel like it) to another drive that I occasionally rotate (so essentially it exists in three places). The vast majority of my data is just bluray and dvd rips so if somehow manage to lose data, I can just redownload or rerip my stuff. The actual important shit is handled differently (encrypted cloud storage).
>>
>>52111854
probably. can't see why there would be a problem with it except for the the fact that storage would have to be on usb harddrives and no option for raid
>>
>>52111901
You can use any device in a RAID if you use software like mdadm. It's not like there's some magic requirement that forces you to use a hardware RAID controller.
>>
>>52110876
But when you pay for the readymade solution, you get easy to use software, which gets preinstalled and preconfigured so you dont' have to worry, plus you get a tested solution and warranty - so you can sleep well.
OFC you can do it yourself, but remember, your time is worth money. If you have too much free time (and yes, ti requires times to build those things RELIABLY) go ahead and build yourself one. Otherwise just buy readymade.

>>52110900
Yeap, $200 ain't that expensive, especially when you take into account that it will server you around 5 years and disk that you need to put inside cost around $700
>>
>>52111062
Umm nope...
I ahve a very old ReadyNAS 4 Pro, it has two 1 gigabit ports, i use both. When writing and ready at the same time, i get around 80MB/s on both, and CPU load is around 20%.
It's only transcoind i would be worried about: >>52111299
>>
Related question. Is it worth it to buy a cheapo server(rack) of eBay for a simple nas setup? I've seen some go for under a 100 $ but they had ddr2 ram
>>
>>52112294
Depends on what do you mean by 'worth it'.
You want dirty cheap solution and you can find cheap server on ebay with raid controller and disks' backplane populated. Sure, go ahead it will work (with some time spent on setting it up).
I'd rather pay double that and get factory made thing with warranty.
>>
>>52111964
speed and reliability, mostly. like, the two main points of a raid array
>>
>>52110762
For the price I got a WD My cloud and I plan on getting another to create a redundancy plan.

This way if the NAS board fails altogether then I have two separate systems. And the NAS itself isn't much more expensive than the drives I was buying when using a coupon.

If you got the money to spend go Synology. It is fucking amazing and the four bay systems won't let you down.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.