[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tor
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
I've always wondered about Tor. You always hear about the deep web and how it's a hive of drug sales, cp and fat white men claiming to be hitmen for hire. And how it's completely anonymous and no one can ever get caught and it will stop the NSA spook men from spiriting you away due to your love of searching info about fertilizer and Mohammad.

But it's funded by the government. And I'm pretty sure that shit like the silk road and the occasional take down of drug and illegal content distributors proves it's not foolproof. I've even heard some people calling it a honeypot.

Is true anonymity even possible? is it possible with tor? By asking this am I putting myself on a watch list? I just wanna know where I can post my gay Mohammad fanfiction without getting beheaded.
>>
>>52103933
We probably all are somewhere in a watch list I remember something from Snowden's leaked docs that everyone who visited www.linuxjournal.com was listed as an extremist or something.
>>
>>52103933
I heard a while back there was an exploit in Tor that broke your anonymity. But if you use common sense you can pretty much stay anonymous. The deep web isn't what it's cracked up to be. I heard about all the stories and decided to dive in myself and check it out, and I was so disappointed.
>>
I don't think tor alone is enough anymore, you can't ever truly be anonymous but you can try to get to as close to it as possible. Doing stuff like whonix in a VM with a host operating system such as qubes then use the whonix workstation to browse using tor. On top of that you would need to use random public hotspots for wifi and connect to a trusworthy VPN for extra security. It'd be a nightmare to track down all of that stuff. Then just encrypt all your stuff or force it into RAM when you load it somehow and it'll get wiped after you end your session.

Not really worth doing anything like this unless you're some big time like osama bin laden lol
>>
I've always wondered about the CP, Drug and slave markets on there. Namely the fact that they seem to be pretty strong and you never really hear about take downs.

Then again, people post CP on /b/ all the time and they never seem to get Van'd. Is the government just strapped for resources because it seems like squatting on /b/ would be a great way to get some arrests.
>>
>>52104151
Because on the mass scale nobody gives a fuck about some faggot who's reposting some CP on /b/, 9.9/10 it's just some fag who saw a pic and saved/screencapped it. Every once in a while you might get a guy who's a collector or whatever but even then it's unlikely since those guys would never be as dumb as to bring attention to themselves or their little cp community. Basically it'd be pointless to waste manpower and hours to just sit on /b/ when they'll just be going through countless "pics you shouldn't share" and tranny threads all day long.
>>
>>52104528
What about the ones on Tor though? I assume if you're using tor you're probably gonna be either a maker or at least a serious collector. And as such a more juicy target. Or is it just too hard and not worth it to target individuals when the real man hours should go into getting the makers.
>>
The internet itself was funded by the government too. You going to stop using that?

Tor is an open tool. You can actively see what it does, and it is not developed by the military. It's developed by some nerds.

>>52104066
It was a false alarm. Generally all these 'tor is broken' news are from academic papers who show that they can do it in very specific use cases on their own private tor networks.
Like showing how you can jump a car over 6 other cars but you wouldn't expect to have a setup like that on a public road. It just wouldn't work.

As for how the silk road was taken down- Tor is a pipe. It's a pipe that you can still put shit down- the SERVER was hacked remotely, its IP was pooped out, they found it in RL, sat on it and collected information about the administrator.
PHP exploits broke the silk road.
>>
>>52104622
I wouldn't know but I'd automatically assume you'd want to go for the makers and the guys hosting the sites. It's one of the reasons why those DMCA faggots never go after some random faggot downloading TV shows or music and instead target the people hosting the site and/or are originally leaking the content. Notice how when the fappening happened they didn't attack random sites and blogs for having the pics but instead were trying to track down the faggots who hacked and leaked the pics. Either way I'm positive they wouldn't waste their time on /b/, TOR maybe but 4chan would be a fucking waste.
>>
>>52103933
>By asking this am I putting myself on a watch list?
You do not understand the snowden leaks. Very few people do.
The snowden leaks told us that EVERYONE is on the watch list. EVERYONE.

You're already on the watch list.

If you want to check out how good tor is- check out the tor talks at the CCC this year, or last year. The talks haven't happened yet but you can find them at
https://media.ccc.de/c/32c3
when they're done and uploaded.
In a couple days.
The yearly tor talk is called state of the onion, but there are some other related talks.

The general rule is china. If china hasn't broken tor, no-one has broken tor. China is attacking tor 24/7.
>>
>>52104750
I've just always been curious because you always hear about the van and see even people with loli hentai flipping their shit about the government coming for them, and yet it seems like cp and people uploading it are rampant on the web if you go to the right places.

I'm just trying to square this idea of the ultra watchful FBI of myth with whatever the reality is. And unfortunately tor and everything around it seems to be propagating lots of questionable stories and assumptions in both directions.
>>
>>52104853
The FBI concentrates on finding the child abusers themselves rather than the distributers. They do arrest distributors and anyone with CP, but they do so on an opportunistic basis.
For example, a typical sting is that they'll run a website promising CP to people who pay for it (with debit cards or whatever), and so dumbass pedos link their personal information with the desire to have CP. Rock solid legal evidence. That's the goal.
>>
>>52104911
Geez, if thats true it's kind of frightening to think how many collectors must just go forever unprosecuted simply because they're not stupid enough to blatantly incriminate themselves.
>>
>>52105043
Well think about it, how would they get caught?

If someone operates with decent opsec they might never get caught.
If someone actually abuses children and puts the pictures online, the FBI can use these images to find the person who took them, but if it's just someone else?

Imagine this with non-illegal material. How would the police know that you have the last image you saved?
>>
>>52105079
Thats a good point.

Guess I'll be sharing that Mohammad slash fic with tor.

I put on my robe and turban.
>>
>>52105155
Remember, tor is still just a tool. It's a pipe. the programs you use with it control what goes in and out of the pipe.
Be careful to isolate everything you can between your activities.

Mudslimes really get annoyed at shit like blasphemy.
>>
Any advice for finding prostitutes on the deep web?
>>
>>52105191

Any advice for keeping isis from butt bumming me? Are you essentially telling me to be careful when submitting a text file because that file my have metadata in it that leads back to me, essentially?
>>
>>52105277
>metadata in it that leads back to me,
Depends on the file format. Microsoft word- maybe.
Just use a blank text file, they're very barebones.
>>
>>52105300
And I'd recommend not using windows.
But these threat models are overkill. Anti-NSA threat models.
If you just don't want to get shot by mudslimes, just using tor is enough.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.