[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Slackware: Is it worth it? I installed it on a VM and it feels
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
File: bluepiSW.jpg (48 KB, 232x227) Image search: [Google]
bluepiSW.jpg
48 KB, 232x227
Slackware: Is it worth it?
I installed it on a VM and it feels good but I don't know how much of a pain in the ass dependency resolution will be. Any issues you guys have had with it?
>>
File: 1449877282635.jpg (812 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
1449877282635.jpg
812 KB, 1200x1200
"Manual dependency resolution" is NOT a slackware thing, dont believe the misinformation.

First of all, the default slackware install (With xfce or KDE, doesn't matter) comes with so many packages that installing packages usually isn't an issue, because every essential is covered right off the bat.

Now, the default "package manager", slackpkg, doesn't have automatic dependency resolution. However thats because this package manager is an UPDATING SYSTEM that can also be used to add and remove package groups. The repository it pulls from includes no packages that are not already in the DVD. Its just there if you decide later you don't like XFCE and want to move to KDE, or you want to entirely remove X. And it's meant to be used in that way with full package groups and not single, individual packages.

Now, the nice thing about slackpkg is that since it's just a simple shell script, your system isn't chained to it and you can install other package managers. There's sbopkg which automatically downloads, compiles and packages software for your system or slapt-get, which is a more debian-style package manager. The rest is up to you.
>>
>>52042381
Thanks for the response. I've been using sbopkg which is pretty alright. Seems like you've used Slackware a bit, were there any standout issues you had using it? I might try setting up multilib and installing Steam for games, as well as installing graphics card drivers. Any issues you had maintaining the system?
>>
>>52042442
Any issue with Slackware mostly comes down to preference. Some people actually like using Systemd or more "modern day" Linux technologies.

Also, there's no pre-configuration for packages. Everything is completely vanilla, pulled directly from the source without any distro-customized patching. This probably means you'll have to dig into configs and get things working to your liking, but you can be confident that everything will probably be stable and bug free since the developers aren't meddling with the packages.

Basically it's a solid distro but you'll have to expect some tinkering to be done. Right now I use opensuse because i'm too lazy to go config diving and can just make YaST do everything for me...
>>
>>52042573
Fair enough. Thanks, I think I'll jump to a full install tomorrow, I like the design philosophy and am interested to see where it will take me. OpenSUSE is really full-featured, I used it forever. One of the best examples of a complete experience in Linux.
>>
Slackware is stable as fuck. And it is comfy. The community is friendlier than average for Linux. Odds are, you will not regret it.
>>
>>52042381
Thanks for wasting your time. I am then OP and I use Windows 10 with all the botnet turned on and I am never gonna switch.
>>
>>52042915
Post comfy slackwares
>>
My problem with slackware was my own stupidity. I didn't know how to do the stuff i wanted and gave up after a few days.

Every six months I try to use it since it is my dream distro, cause I've read somewhere that if you know slackware, you know linux.

Here is my transitions:
Windows XP -> Ubuntu -> Fedora -> Xubuntu -> Tried Slack -> Arch -> Tried slack -> Manjaro -> Tried Slack -> Arch
>>
I haven't used Slackware much, but the slackbook and the READMEs are excellent material and made me a more proficient Linux user.
>>
Slack is a shit outdated.

Install Gentoo, BSD* likes or LFS.
>>
>>52043100
My Slackware is Desktop Thread tier.

>>52042573
Except that you can install openrc or systemd.
>>
>>52043616
>My Slackware is Desktop Thread tier.
post it
>>
File: bureau-2015-12-25_071215.png (88 KB, 1384x786) Image search: [Google]
bureau-2015-12-25_071215.png
88 KB, 1384x786
>>52043637
If I was a girl I would say you're harassing mec, dud.
>>
>>52043676
kek, looks comfy. Merry Christmas hon hon
>>
>>52043695
Merry Christmas, hurr durr-
>>
>>52043676
Comfy
>>
>>52043676
You were right, your Slackware is Desktop Thread tier in the sense that it's giving my eyeballs cancer.
>>
>>52043854
Dare to share your ?
>>
>>52043676
>taked
>>
File: EPIC OS.jpg (145 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
EPIC OS.jpg
145 KB, 1920x1080
>>52042269
http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm
>all you need in life
>>
Fucking love slackware, just wish it had a more up to date kernel
>>
>>52043676
Did you minimal install?
>>
>>52043892
I don't run Slackware, so I can't share.
>>
>>52044143
No, 'cause minimal install is a meme. As >>52042381 said, Slackware is divided in groups, each one means to be fully installed to work.

>>52044180
>Implying DE/WM is distro dependant.
>>
Install slapt-get if you want a package manager
>>
>>52042442
multilib is awesome.
>>52042269
you can use slapt-get and gslapt and add repos
>>
>>52043100
>>
>>52043396
citation needed
>>
>>52043100
Slackbro reporting
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.