[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>decide to finally build my own PC >blow nearly $1500 on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7
File: ng.jpg (217 KB, 1200x1787) Image search: [Google]
ng.jpg
217 KB, 1200x1787
>decide to finally build my own PC
>blow nearly $1500 on parts
>all my shit comes today

I just need a screwdriver and to plug shit together, right? Surely it can't be that hard, its [current year]?
>>
File: spacer.jpg (7 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
spacer.jpg
7 KB, 300x300
>>52030728
Pretty much.

Just don't forget these
>pic related
And to put them on the case before you put the motherboard in.

And waste some time on propper cable management.
>>
File: nzxt_h2_039.jpg (14 KB, 550x245) Image search: [Google]
nzxt_h2_039.jpg
14 KB, 550x245
>>52030743
There should be a
>Pic related the non black spacer looking thing
In the bag with the screws to screw them on.
I literally (after 20 PC's built) did not notice them until very recently.
>>
Do not plug anything directly from the PSU into the motherboard besides the 24pin power connector and the CPU power connector.
Manage cables neatly the first time.
Take a shower before you start and wear plain T-shirt to reduce static.
Breadboard first to make sure it all works, then add parts.
Make sure the total flow of air out is more than air in with fans.
If you've got thermal paste, clean the stock one off the processor using alcohol and apply it. Reapply it every time you remove the heatsink off the processor.
>tfw you're crying over your dead motherboard
>>
File: cumpensatin.jpg (51 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
cumpensatin.jpg
51 KB, 500x376
>>52030801
I'd like to inteject for a moment and say that is overkill for a first timer, but it isnt :|
>>
>>52030801
A month ago I dismantled my desktop to clean it because it was gutted with dust.

It wouldn't POST properly after that. It would get stuck on initializing legacy USB devices.

Luckily it was on the edge of expiring its warranty, I quickly ran submitted an RMA and got a replacement.

But still, I lost a lot of time.
>>
File: trau2.png (412 KB, 674x380) Image search: [Google]
trau2.png
412 KB, 674x380
>>52030743
>>52030762

I assume this shit comes in the box with the parts? Its probably already on my tower anyway.

>>52030801

Thanks, this is good advice. I assume (hope) much of this is mentioned in pamphlets or something with each component part.
>>
File: Bridget (80).jpg (73 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
Bridget (80).jpg
73 KB, 900x900
>>52030946
Yes it comes.
Unless you bought a really REALLY REAAAALY Cheap Tower.
>>
>>52030801
>More air out than in
I'm confused, wasn't the /g/ meme positive air pressure?
>>
>>52031004
imho higher pressure inside keeps dust outside

so yes
>>
>>52031004
>>52031199
More fans pulling air in brings in more dust as well with the air. More fans pushing air out gives cooler temperatures as the warm air from heatsink/PSU/graphics is removed faste.r.
>>
>>52030743
This this this this this

>first build
>watched like three vids and read through the mobo manual twice
>for some reason none of these mentioned the stupid standoffs
>the fuck are these
>toss bag aside
>install PC
>everything works
>everything works for a month at least, don't remember
>finally board starts shorting when I play BF4
>it ends up frying
>send it back as defective
>by now I've realized my mistake because I'm not a complete retard
>don't say a word
>get new board
>put in standoffs this time
Still going strong 2 years later.
>>
>>52030762
you've built 20 pc's? - holy shit.
>>
>>52030743
>>52030762
What the fuck, I've been using my computer for months without those. I didn't even know what those were. My mobo is just screwed to the frame and works fine.
>>
>>52031465
half the time it doesnt seem to mater, but once your mobo shits itself you'll undestand.
>>
>>52030818
Go big or go home.
>>
File: 1449367922124.gif (1020 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
1449367922124.gif
1020 KB, 500x373
>>52030801
When he says alcohol, he means as pure as you can get 91%+ at most drug stores. Lower alcohols (87 and lower shit) can have added oils intended to not dry out the skin when literally used as a rubbing alcohol. That's not good for your cpu/paste. You want the shit that dries your fingers out with no mercy.
>>
>>52030728
Look at awesomesauce Network. I built my first PC thanks to him.

>Console killer
>my PC cost me 12K CZK (about 500$)
>runs any current gen game on 1080p with average FPS in the 60s
>feelsgoodman.jpg
>>
>>52030801
>static electricity
I've often fiddled inside my computer while its on. I just touch the case beforehand.
>>
>>52030743
my cheap antec case already had these in place. suspect that's the same for most cases
>>
>>52031640
It doesn't make any difference, it could be water, you can just wipe it off you nerd
>>
>>52032244
It isn't the electricity being fed to your components you want to worry about, it's the static electricity that you could discharge from your body onto your components.
>>
>>52030801
>>52031246
You sure are one daft cunt.

For a start, regardless of positive or negative pressure, the intake and outake flow will be equal.
Having negative pressure doesn't mean less air will go in, it just means it will be coming from unexpected places.

The fans have dust covers to stop too much dust from coming in, so positive pressure means all the air will enter via the dust covers.
Negative pressure means the case wont be getting enough air from the intake fans alone, so it will be sucking in air from every little tiny hole available,
including every little gap that isn't not dust protected.

>inb4 my case doesn't have any gaps
Good luck creating your vacuum chamber, I'm sure that lack of air is doing wonders for your cooling.
>>
>>52032340
Holy shit that is horrible advice
>>
>>52031283
What's with that anyways? I've never seen a PC building video with any mention of spacers.
>>
>>52035000
Because most people assume that nobody is retarded enough to use a computer when the I/O ports don't fucking line up with the gap in the case for the I/O shield.

That and most decent cases just have slightly raised mounting points so you don't have to use shitty standoffs in the first place.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.