[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I was asked by my friend to make a Mini ITX build in a games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
I was asked by my friend to make a Mini ITX build in a games console like case (he's a console pleb) so that he could play steam games with me.

He used the price of the Alienware Alpha for comparison, which is basically i3, Geforce 860M, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD for £450 bongs.

I put this together: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/WpFWgs

for about £400 bongs.

Any way to improve it?
I used the 750Ti because I did some research and the 860M apparently has similar performance.

It HAS to be small/console and he has to be able to carry it around, because he will take it to people's houses, hook up to TVs etc.

Thank you /g/

Pic related is the case.
>>
Tell him to kill himself, fucking console pleb. A pc isn't exclusively for gaming, a gpu is the only part in a pc that's important for gaming. A decent cpu should be top priority, so bottlenecking should not be possible on a half-decent pc. A $400 gpu is enough to beat any console by a huge margin, so that's the only price you should compare to consoles. My whole /bst/ cost me €1800, but my gpu cost me €405, and it fucks consoles in every possible way. I didn't spend €1800 just to play games. I spent €1395 to do productive and non-productive shit that isn't gaming. I only spend €405 to game.
>>
>>52023285
>>52025374
>>>/r/pcmasterrace
>>
>>52023285
He's gonna be saving money with free multiplayer, Steam sales and piracy, so tell him to increase his budget so he can afford a better graphics card and processor.

See if you can nab a used i5 2nd gen and then dish out more cash for an R9 380.
>>
>>52025374
Wow you sound mad tripcunt.

Some people have different use cases for all different kinds of hardware. Nowadays, people buy consoles not just for gaming, but the social and app experience. (Netflix, Facebook etc.)

My friend will use this machine for general browsing use and also for playing games. The primary use case will be gaming.

I couldn't give a flying fuck about how much you spent on your autismomachine. Its not about fucking console performance, its about introducing him to PC gaming, and also giving him something modular that he can upgrade on the way. Which the Alpha doesn't offer in terms of GFX power.

So unless you have something better to contribute, go sperg in your battlestation threads.

>>52025411
>not /r/buildaPC

>>52025499
>He's gonna be saving money with free multiplayer, Steam sales and piracy, so tell him to increase his budget so he can afford a better graphics card and processor.

He's minimum wage, about 20-25 hours a week so highly unlikely. I could probably go max £500, but he would settle for the alpha if I didn't know better.
>>
>>52026075
Then ask him to save up if he can. But if hes adamant that he wants it now, the build should suffice. He wont be able to max it out, but it should offer at least console level performance.

There are budget builds on pcpartpicker that you can see and read reviews of. Contact them and see if their performance is satisfactory.
>>
>>52026075
If you want your friend's computer to modulate, you're not going to do much with an LGA 1150 and an old mITX board lol. The only thing he could probably change/add is cooling, Gbs of RAM (max clock for that mobo is 1600 DDR3) if i were you, get ATX and cheapocraigslist
>>
>>52026224
>>52026261
has to be mini ITX
>>
>>52023285
No way to improve it when under a budget, except for swapping the 750Ti for some AMD card.
>>
>>52023285
Maybe he could do without the disk drive. I'd ditch that and use the cash for a network card.

Also, does he really need 1TB? I use a lot less storage than most people, but if money is a concern you may want to downgrade that to 500GB or something.

I'd strongly urge him to increase his budget so he can afford a better CPU. Doesn't need to be an i7, but an upper-range i5 would future proof him well, and a 750ti isn't going to get him far.
>>
>>52026520
Which card would be fine for a 300W PSU
>>
>>52026541
>>52026520
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/8CBfXL

1TB is actually cheaper than 500GB here
Yes he will want the rice KB/mouse.
He has game controllers from his consoles also.

Case has changed and so has CPU to i5-4460
>>
>>52026544
Something below 200W tdp and within budget.
>>
>>52026618
R7 260X?

Limited to 1 PCIE connector with PSU
>>
>>52026672
*R7 265
>>
Save up for a bit better gpu
>>
File: build.png (57 KB, 633x424) Image search: [Google]
build.png
57 KB, 633x424
>>52023285
>>
File: pc_master_race_mako.gif (4 MB, 350x197) Image search: [Google]
pc_master_race_mako.gif
4 MB, 350x197
>>52025374
>>
tell your friend that videogames aren't a poorfag hobby
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.