[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So Ive decided I want to abandon Windows and move over to linux.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
File: 1450872951936.png (113 KB, 911x911) Image search: [Google]
1450872951936.png
113 KB, 911x911
So Ive decided I want to abandon Windows and move over to linux. Only problem is that Ive never used Linux in my life. I have some questions.

1. Is it as hard to learn to use linux as everyone says?
2.Whats the most user friendly Linux os that can provide a jumping off point?
3.How hard will it be to get mah steam gamez working? I understand that some like tf2 will run already but most wont.
4.Are there drivers avaliable for all rigs?

Thanks
>>
File: Bridget (13).png (8 KB, 217x243) Image search: [Google]
Bridget (13).png
8 KB, 217x243
>>52016020
>1
No
>2
Manjaro or Ubuntu depending if you want to learn Arch or Debiam based distros
>3
Depends on the games some have Play on Linux compatibility that is basicly a program that runs scripts and setups wine and everything for you other then that you will have to learn how to use wine.
>4
Yes and no. There are quite a few proprietary drivers that fuck up but you should be mostly fine so long as you don't use some obscure laptop from 2009.
>>
>>52016071
Can you explain the difference between Arch and Debiam?

Also I use a desktop I ordered custom about 7 months ago so its fairly up to date
>>
File: Bridget (10).gif (33 KB, 138x148) Image search: [Google]
Bridget (10).gif
33 KB, 138x148
>>52016111
You should have no problem.
It's mostly just how they compile their programs and stuff and the package manager.

Also let me correct myself I ment to say Debian.

Honestly your better off using Manjaro and it's not going to be straightforward but it will easier to use after you get over the learning curve.
>>
>>52016111
If you have to ask just use mint. Then try another linux distro with higher difficulty (challenge and learning) after that if you choose.
>>
>>52016111
Use Ubuntu Gnome
>>
>>52016161
Alright. I guess Ill make a manjaro partition tonight and give it a go. See if I can live with linux or if I will be forced to keep getting fucked by Microsoft and made to upgrade to windows 10 so they can start charging me
>>
File: monotaurs.png (44 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
monotaurs.png
44 KB, 1024x768
>linux
>not recognizing monitors' max resolution
>inb4 "works for me with my hardware so i don't see the problem"

no.
>>
>>52016020
Gaming is good especially since Wine 1.8 was released and the terminal is night and day better. That and no bontnet. If none of this interests you stay on winders
>>
>>52016168
Doesnt Ubuntu spy on you?
>>
>>52016111
Arch is basement dwellers' choice and you don't want it unless you are one of them. Debian is as stable as it gets, but has old software. Ubuntu is based on debian, but it's plainly better for everyday use if you are new. Also, if u use prerealese repos and ppa ubuntu is as up to date as arch yet less demanding for the user. Mind u that unity is widely recognized to be shit and most ppl choose gnome, mate, xfce or kde spins
>>
>>52016247
I think Mate, Xfce or Cinnamon are the most Windows user friendly desktops. Try one of those.
>>
It isn't hard to learn. The people who say it is had no desire to learn in the first place.
No idea about that particular model, but I've never had a problem with any hardware on any distro at all. openSUSE in particular seems to be the best at automagically getiing everything working.
>How hard will it be to get mah steam gamez working?
Don't bother. Just keep your Windows partition and play your games on that. Right tool, right job etc.
>>
>>52016303
>keeping a windows partition
>implying microsoft wont use that to spy on your linux partition
>>
> Whats the most user friendly Linux os

Android
>>
>>52016334
>le spying
You're being spied regardless of the OS you use. If you were ever truly bothered by it you would have pulled the ethernet cable a long time ago.
>>
Lol good luck op, it won't go well.
>>
File: problems.jpg (47 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
problems.jpg
47 KB, 700x700
>>52016234
Yes it does.
Use Mint instead. or any real Linux distro.

No, you are, because you're dumb as hell.
Mac/Windows8 and beyind does have built-in botnet features.
>>
>>52016111
You should use debian based, most stuff on the internet has debian/ubuntu based solutions. best to start with something like Linux mint, Ubuntu gnome, lubuntu, xubuntu or kubuntu. avoid plain ubuntu except if you like how it looks, only because many people dislike using unity which plain ubuntu has.
>>
>>52016234
No, ubuntu don't really spy on you, but there is a amazon searc in the unity version of ubuntu. ubuntu gnome do not have that. Arch is the LEAST beginner friendly distro. only use it if you want to spend a year making it useful.
>>
>>52016334
Microsoft windows can not see any other file system except NTFS
>>
>>52016189
works for me with my hardware so i don't see the problem
>>
>>52016020
just use ubuntu unity and disable the "search online sources". ubuntu has good software support , u can find installers or official repos from program creators so its not hard to find shit thats missing/old in your repo, also unity is pretty sane transition from windows. Also u dont have to fuck around with configuring fonts/codecs/other shit that will annoy you when you dont even know how to use command line
>>
File: 1450823863955.jpg (357 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
1450823863955.jpg
357 KB, 1440x900
>>52016646
Yeah, using arch is good for people who like to sit down for hours changing configs and trying to get drivers to work. It's a fun way to troll noobs to install a linux distro they will be fustrated with and hate. Ubuntu is a distro for people who need to use the computer for something other than getting stuff to work.
>>
>>52016020
>hard to learn
depends on your IQ and who you are learning from/how you are learning
>most user-friendly
mint if you want things to start working as fast as possible and look nice. if you have a second computer, i highly recommend installing arch or slackware and using it as much as possible until you can either replace mint or gain enough knowledge to power-use the fuck out of it
>steam gamez
honestly, i don't know, but a lot of games work well on wine. playonlinux is a python-based scripting toolkit that contains user-contributed scripts for installing and properly configuring games to run on wine. most of the time if something doesn't work ootb on wine, it's because there's some missing DLL, or some other quirk. in theory, you can just look them up and fix them yourself using winetricks, but until you know enough about wine and linux to do it yourself, you're better off using PoL. I mostly play old games and many of them work perfectly.
>drivers
in my experience, linux has drivers for nearly everything, especially things that are standard. just don't use some freetarded distro that refuses to package non-free drivers.
>>
>>52016710
but anon I >>52016646 am using arch , and the configuration is not that hard or time consuming , but you need to learn how to config shit properly, thats what's time consuming.
>>
>>52016710
>google "how to do x in linux", x ranging from expected functionality to actually kind of technical
>top results are Ubuntu forums every single time
Uh-huh.
>>
>>52016769
its because arch users use the wiki and are required to fix shit for themselves , this gives 1 good article on the topic and noone spamming "ask ubuntu" on how to fix some trivial problem or a duplicate of a duplicate of a duplicate question.
>>
>>52016710
is this an actual icon theme?
>>
>>52016189
I have literally never had that problem

Also I can guarantee that that's not your machine and it could very well be some windows shill
>>
If you're only moving over because the memebois here convinced you with terms like "botnet" and "freedoms", you're a faggot.
>>
>>52016234
https://fixubuntu.com/

done!
>>
>>52016020
Try a few different distros in a VM before you switch over. Pick the one you like the best. I recommend Ubuntu (Gnome) or Mint if you want the most user-friendly distos. Seriously just stick to these if you're used to windows and don't want to spend time relearning how to do everything
>>
1. It is not hard.
If you run into a problem, there is a lot of people willing to help you if you ask nicely and don't take them for granted.
A lot of the time people will give you a weirdly constructed sentence as a reply and that will be a command you type into a terminal. Understand what it does before you run it so it doesn't break your system.
2. Probably Ubuntu.
Ubuntu has very good hardware support and a large repository so that will probably be the easiest to start with.
There are many different *buntus but it is mostly the look and feel which is different.
3. The easiest way is to install it from the package manager.
Open a terminal.
Type sudo apt-get install steam
And you have steam.
They have a graphical installer but they stopped shipping it by default for some reason.
It is called synaptic.
4. Not all but most.
A better question is if they are good enough to use for games.
Try.
If you go with Ubuntu, search for "additional drivers" and see if you are running the driver you think is best.

When I was a kid, I switched and did all my gaming on linux.
It is a lot less limited now and a lot of the quirks I grew up with is fixed.
Try it out. Spend a weekend with it and see how far you can go.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.