[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
AMD alternative to shadowplay
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: maxresdefault.jpg (55 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
55 KB, 1280x720
I really tried to google it, but I am having a hard time coming up with anything. I read about GVR but I'm not sure if it's discontinued? I don't see anyone talking about it since a few months. I saw they came out with some sort of new codec or whatever it is called VCE, but I don't get exactly how it's meant to be used and if GVR is dead then.

I am planning on building a new PC coming from ancient hadware. I was thinking of getting an AMD GPU, but i was interested in shadowplay. The thing I care for the most is being able to save the last couple minutes of recording without just saving everything all the time and then deleting everything if I don't need it. is there a valid AMD alternative that won't make me take a big hit on FPS? I especially don't want added input lag since I would be playing competitive games.
>>
>>52013846
plays.tv
>>
>>52013846
Nice shitposting attempt, nvidiabot.
AMD Gaming Evolved by Raptr offers Game Video Recording, Replay feature, direct upload on plays.tv and also the possibility to stream on twitch.
>>
>>52013859
Thanks, that looks interesting. You can just save videos on your HDD without uploading them, right?

>>52013921
I am not an nvidiabot, I am just out of the loop and I hear how good shadowplay is and how it takes no resources, but I'm stuck with very old hardware and using OBS which kinda tanks my performance on this piece of shit already, so I was interested in what I could find for AMD. I kept googling for "AMD alternative to shadowplay" and all it came up with was 1 year old threads of people talking about GVR but nothing new as if it had siappeared so I wasn't sure.

Would this be better than the plays.tv client?
>>
>>52013980
>You can just save videos on your HDD without uploading them, right?
yes

>>52013980
raptr is bloated
>>
Shadowplay kept crashing recently on w10 on my gtx 650 ti.
I just upgraded to a 380 a couple of weeks ago and the only issue I had with raptr was the initial preset settings for recording quality was atrocious. Took me 5 seconds to increase the resolution and quality though so its not really an issue in my opinion.
With shadowplay when I'd try to record my screen would freeze up. Extremely annoying. I assumed it was drivers crashing.
>>
>>52013846
Nope. Nothing comes close to shadowplay. Shadowplay uses the free cuda cores that most games don't fully utilize to record and encode the video with almost no performance hit.

AMD alternatives works by running another app (pretty a game itself) that reduces your performance by at least 25% and fights over resources with the game you're trying to record. Raptr is adware and is fail attempt at copying GeForce experience.
>>
File: 1435352635578.jpg (244 KB, 1846x1212) Image search: [Google]
1435352635578.jpg
244 KB, 1846x1212
>>52014043
>I have no idea what I'm talking about
>>
>>52013846
I've been an AMD fag my whole life, and just did a GTX 980 build.

Shadowplay is really really fucking good; I've got it recording a 3440x1440 ultrawide constantly with a 5 minute trailing clip, and there's virtually no performance hit, and the video quality is basically perfect, albeit a huge filesize because it isn't doing a full compress in realtime.

I searched forever for a Shadowplay alternative when I was on AMD, but the best you'll get is likely OBS with the replay feature running.
>>
>>52014101
Fuck off nvidiot
>>
>>52014115
No, you fuck off.

Like I said, I've been 'rooting' for AMD the whole time, but it's apparent that if you're willing to forego cost-effectiveness, AMD doesn't have the better product.

Phys-x, Gsync, and any other proprietary shit NVIDIA does is fucking cancer, but it just works better.

I've got money, and I'll be using the better product.
>>
>>52014043
>Shadowplay uses the free cuda cores
Wrong. Both shadowplay and plays.tv use h264 encoder built in modern gpus. Plays.tv barely affects fps for me
>>
Playstv fucking sucks. It'll just flat out refuse to record some games, will crash others and doesn't even record if focus is on a different window other than the game. I wish there was a better program for this.
>>
>>52014138
>>52014101
I don't see a performance hit either when using raptr to record either?
>i7 870
>r9 380
>8gb ram
Shadowplay used to work great for me but lately it's just been fucking up so much.
>>
>>52014189
>I don't see a performance hit either when using raptr to record either?

I don't know. Do you? Why are you asking me?
>>
>>52014101
>>52014043
>>52013980
You guys should really work on your searching skills, AMD has had hardware video encoding since at least the introduction of the HD7xxx series. There's a fork of OBS that uses it perfectly.

http://developer.amd.com/community/blog/2014/02/19/introducing-video-coding-engine-vce/
>>
>>52014227
>AMD has had hardware video encoding since at least the introduction of the HD7xxx series
lol nvidia cards were able to do that since like 2006

Anybody remember coreavc?

Some AMD knock offs:
Shadowplay - raptr dvr
Gfe - raptr
Hairworks - tressfx
physx - never EVER
cuda - licensed to AMD for a very high price
>>
>>52013846
OBS, but it's going to rape your cpu unless you have a Quicksync enabled intel cpu.

It's either that or get a capture card
>>
File: Capture.png (9 KB, 639x223) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
9 KB, 639x223
>>52014227
The main OBS hasn;t got it implemented, what fork are you on about?
>>
>>52013846
https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/obs-branch-with-amd-vce-support.13996/
>>
>>52014320
No, nVidia had awful accelerated video encoding back then just like AMD did. They didn't introduce the NVENC hardware encoder until 2012 with Kepler.

>>52014361
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=obs+amd+vce
>>
File: Senzanome.png (30 KB, 414x763) Image search: [Google]
Senzanome.png
30 KB, 414x763
Use MSI afterburner, it just works
>>
>>52014749
can't use VCE, NVENC or QuickSync, so why should i use that instead of OBS?
>>
>>52014814
best quality/resource load if you set it right
and you can use all the GPU for the game
>>
>>52014842
>and you can use all the GPU for the game
What? Yes, of course, but thats what you do with every recording program that uses VCE/NVENC/QuickSync. The decoding blocks are useless for gaming workloads.

"Best Quality" is bullshit.
>>
>>52014842
>>52014855
and without using VCE/NVENC/QuickSync you obviously waste ressources that could otherwise be used for your game, be it GPU or CPU performance.
>>
So, VCE fork of OBS would be the best choice for AMD users?
>>
>>52015099
yes. It also works for NVENC (and QuickSync). So use OBS and not raptr/geforce experience bloatware.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.