[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 15
File: P4AnwLK.png (110 KB, 786x500) Image search: [Google]
P4AnwLK.png
110 KB, 786x500
Prev thread: >>51994090
Intended for users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are three ways to try Linux, you can:

1) Install a Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
2) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full Linux experience".
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with Linux (not recommended)

If you are serious about switching to Linux and if you have Windows dual-booted (recommended for pure newbies),
we recommend you use it exclusively for 2 weeks, and avoid Windows dual booting for that period of time, or it's
likely you will start retreating back to windows instead of getting used to GNU/Linux as your new home and working on
making it feel the way you want it.

>Recommended for beginners:
-Ubuntu MATE
-Debian (For Broadcom devices, use an ISO that includes non-free firmware)
-openSUSE
-LinuxMint (a.k.a Ubuntu LTS + Cinnamon)

Before asking, please find the answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe wine can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
your friendly neighborhood search engine
https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/learn-the-command-line
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/
>>
What is Linux (or GNU/Linux for Stallmanists)?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux

Babby's First Linux (What distro to choose?)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

What software does /g/ recommend? (Please DON'T include the so called infographic -- refer all your recommended software here.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software

Ricing on Linux (Make it good and functional or make it worse like those at desktop threads)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing

A script designed to ease the transition from Windows to Debian
https://gitgud.io/Chocolate-Chip-Computing/DebianNewbieScript

We now have an entry in the install Gentoo wiki!
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php//flt/

IRC No one uses:
irc://irc.freenode.org:+7000/FriendlyLinux
>>
>>51998408
Another one of these?
>>
>>51998408
I don't understand the image in the OP. Can't you just click "open with" on windows?
>>
>>51998445
And how would you know it's actually a text file?
>>
I am planning to dual boot windows 10 and Antergos when I build my new pc in a few days. I have been testing it out in a vm, and am getting used to doing everything from the command line.Are there any tips and tricks for this distro?
>>
>>51998489
Well if you don't know its a text file then why do you need to open it? You don't just go around opening every single file in your OS do you?
>>
>>51998528
>Are there any tips and tricks for this distro?
Sure.
Don't use it.
>>
>>51998542
Opening every file on your system isn't normal

But on Linux it is
>>
I have a huge performance decrease when I have long links in google chrome .
Scenario:
I start to type something , chrome lists the previous stuff i visited and if those links are long everything slows down , especially noticable when I continue to type in adress bar , it goes so slow that I finish typing and the letters are still "typing in" , huge lag .
Why is this happening? Anyone have a clue?
I am using Chrome on Xubuntu/
>>
>>51998574
botnet hogs up your resources
>>
>>51998542
It's fun to learn more about your system
>>
>>51998574
k
>>
>>51998528
antegros is basically arch + installer + repo
so arch wiki
>>
When I type in bash:
sudo !!

it executes the previous command, with sudo.

But when I have an alias in my .bashrc like this:
alias please='sudo !!'

it just gives me "sudo: !!: command not found" when I write "please"

Why is this? How can I fix?
>>
>>51998659
!! is a shell built in. When you use alias it tries to execute !! as is.
>>
>>51998685
Is there any way to work around this?
I really like the idea of a "please" alias.
>>
>>51998697
i maybe have a solution, make a file that says

#!/bin/bash
sudo !!

save it as "please" in /usr/local/bin/, run:
chmod +x ./please while in /usr/local/bin/

now you got that executable from anywhere you are. pic related, how i open my wine stuff
>>
>>51998445
I agree, this is a really stupid image. It looks like the OP opened a dat file with a text editor, so their file Explorer kept that association and updated all dat files with a txt icon. This is EXACTLY the same behaviour as Windows. There are hundreds of legitimate reasons to switch to Linux and this has never been said by anyone, ever except the OP of this image.
>>
>>51998697
>>51998685
...when I make a bash script containing only
builtin !! &

it returns "!!: not a shell builtin"
>>
>>51998697
Search engines are really useful tools tbqh
https://superuser.com/a/240193
>>
>>51998755
nah, a file like that just returns "!!: command not found", like the alias. Thanks though.

>>51998784
I have tried googling, can be difficult if you're not familiar with the terms though. Also both google and duckduckgo ignore "!!" in their searches.

Thanks a bunch though, this solution works <3
>>
>>51998765
>It looks like the OP opened a dat file with a text editor, so their file Explorer kept that association and updated all dat files with a txt icon.

That's exactly what not happens, it checks the file itself. You can create a textfile and call it test.super_special_file and it will still be recognized as a textfile.
>>
>>51998839
>ignore "!!" in their searches
lol mate, how about "double exclamation mark"? But w/e, you're welcome!
>>
Using XFCE. Like it.
Getting a new SSD and will be reinstalling.

What's the deal with Fedora?
Any reason to choose it over XFCE?
>>
>>51998964
anon...
>>
>installed pulse + pavucontrol during first setup
>don't understand how anything works and just go back to ALSA and all of its awfulness

>try again
>green check marks
>to toggle between shit (in this case, headphones and speakers)

i'm literally the most retarded person ITT

i just want you all to know this, and also know that even an idiot like me can set up Arch to my desired specs
>>
File: tumblr_kpowqoR2Wn1qzma4ho1_400.jpg (8 KB, 250x231) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_kpowqoR2Wn1qzma4ho1_400.jpg
8 KB, 250x231
>>51998976
... yes?
>>
>>51999102
pls look up what xfce is
then what fedora is
>>
>customizing via .Xresources or similar configs
Gotta be honest, not a big fan of this.
>>
So Xubuntu screen tearing.... I installed Compton and disabled the xfce compisitor and that fixed my tearing for about a few weeks. Recently, the tearing started back up even worse than before. It only happens when a video is in full screen, windowed mode is totally fine.

Anyone have a better fix for this??
>>
>>51999141
crystal meth
>>
>>51999141
Don't know about compton, but compiz has that same problem when playing video at full screen. In compiz, you can resolve the problem by turning off "unredirect full-screen windows" in the composite tab in the Compiz Config Settings Manager.
>>
>>51999134
what's wrong with it?
>>
>>51999205
all right I'll specify
>customizing colors via any config
because fuck colorcodes
>>
>>51999217
colorcodes rule34 where?
>>
>>51999217
Use a graphical terminal which doesn't make us of xresources then
>>
Jesus Christ OP, stop using that image. It's so cringe-worthy
>>
Will someone explain to an idiot what the different distros are? The description of all of them sound identical.
>>
>>51999255
They all have different programs (ie desktop environments) preinstalled. At the core, they are mostly identical.
>>
>>51999238
nah already set up now, but yeah with this i prefer a gui
on the other hand being able to just save a tiny config file is really nice, as much as i disliked doing the colors now it's all set and the colors as well as every other option is in my dropbox
>>
>>51999266
Is that it? I figured it would be something more. So, for example, the only difference between Mint+MATE and Ubuntu+MATE is the default programs?
Then why do people get so attached to their distro of choice?
>>
>>51999255
The essential differences are in:
* The community backing the distro (for example, Ubuntu, Debian, Arch and others have massive community support, while others don't)
* The package manager and types of repositories
* The initial installation: what gets installed and how it gets installed

Everything else is literally cosmetic.
>>
>>51998765
Not the same. file in Linux works differently than Windows' equivalent of it.
>>
So I want to get into using Linux on my PC since windows is going to shit and trying to become a subscription service. Only thing stopping me is mah gamez.

How likely is it that more game devs are going to support linux in the future?
>>
>>51999428
Yeah good luck
>>
>>51998765
>This is EXACTLY the same behaviour as Windows.
Are you fucking stupid? Do you understand MIME?
>>
>>51999440
Please anon, my heart.

I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place here
>>
>>51999428
Use a VM with GPU passthrough.
There, you've got gaymes.
>>
>>51999499
He'd still need to use Windows for that
>>
I've installed a guest OS with KVM, but it won't boot. After GRUB (which doesn't show anything unless I use the arrow keys, and if I want it to show things properly I have to enter "Advanced" menu and exit it again) it simply displays a couple of lines of:
kvm [2295]: vcpu0 unhandled rdmsr: 0x606
etc

I installed it with this:
virt-install \
--name debian8 \
--ram 8194 \
--disk path=./sdv.qcow2,size=70 \
--vcpus 2 \
--os-type linux \
--os-variant generic \
--network bridge=br0 \
--graphics none \
--console pty,target_type=serial \
--location 'http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie/main/installer-amd64/' \
--extra-args 'console=ttyS0,115200n8 serial'

Could the "--console" part be wrong perhaps? I tried setting nomodeset in kernel boot options, but it didn't do anything.
>>
Would switching my 60 year old fathers 10 year old dell running vista over to mint be to much of a culture shock for him? He only uses it for reading forums and watching youtube videos and the thing is on it's last legs.
>>
>>51999428
>in the future?
Maybe.
Wayland will be default on F24.
Vulkan release was delayed on early 2016.

Now nvidia/amd need to catch up with their drivers (the hardest part).
Then as long as game devs use vulkan instead of dx12, porting games should be easy as fuck
>>
>>51999538
Probably not. I switched my 55 year old father to Ubuntu and he hardly even noticed.
>>
>>51999551
>as long as game devs use vulkan instead of dx12
How likely will that be?
>>
How do I make a new user account and get into a terminal session under that account without ever logging out because I'm a lazy piece of shit and this Dorf Fort game is going to keep going while I set up gogs
>>
>>51999538
As long as you ensure the things he usually uses actually works.
>>
>>51999538
>>51999640
Also, don't expect him to ever update the system. Ever.
>>
>>51999640
>>51999655
>>51999567
is there something similar to remote access in linux so i can help him if he needs it? I live 2 hours away from him.
>>
>>51999669
Maybe you 2 can learn how to use this Linux thing together
>>
>>51999669
Just enable ssh server. Simple as hell and will work on Windows through Putty.
>>
>>51999586
2bh I'd expect any sane game developer to do it.
They're both low level APis based on the same technology - AMD Mantle so the performance difference should be negligible if not nonexistent and the development process should be the same (this wasn't the case with earlier version of DX and openGL, DX was helluvalot easier to develop for)

The only difference is DX12 is Windows/Xbox exclusive and Vulkan is cross platform meaning it will run on anything, Windows, Linux, OS X, consoles, portables.
So obviously if you want to hit wider audience, you choose vulkan because it let's you develop a port for any platform without rewriting everthing from scratch.

And If I remember correctly EA is interested (and supports) vulkan. EA alone means metric shitton of popular game titles that could end up using Vulkan.
>>
>>51999637
tty ?

Add the normal as you normally would, then Ctrl + Alt + F2 to get to a new virtual terminal where you can log in. You can go back to your regular one with Ctrl + Alt + F1 and cycle up to F6.
>>
>>51999699
>>51999637

and forgot muh link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Getty_(Unix)
>>
>>51998542
>Well if you don't know its a text file then why do you need to open it? You don't just go around opening every single file in your OS do you?
Should I be afraid to open files or something?
>>
>>51999740
sudo cat /var/log/btmp
>>
>>51999692
What if the Xbox won't support Vulkan?
Than you'd either have to make a DX version anyway or DX + whatever PS will support.
>>
>>51999699
>Add the normal as you normally would
my god

*Add the user as you normally would (via useradd or a GUI or whatever)
>>
>>51999524
Well, now I can confirm that the guest OS is working, because I just ssh'd to it.

So why don't I have a virsh console (which I can escape and which displays something other than "Escape character is "^]" without ctrl-j working, except the first time after you start the guest OS)? And how can I get/fix it?
>>
>>51998408
/flt/ is obsolete.
The replies go here
>>51996231
>>51996231
>>51996231
>>51996231
>>
File: 志麻しのじ - butterfly.png (1 MB, 740x1020) Image search: [Google]
志麻しのじ - butterfly.png
1 MB, 740x1020
What is the main succesor original Crunchbang?

BunsenLabs or Crunchbang++?
>>
Is there a piece of software in Linux that is comparable to Open Hardware Monitor or HWMonitor?

I really liked keeping an eye on my system temps and resources when I ran windows, but I have not found anything to replace it after switching full time to Fedora.

Using sensors in the terminal is inconvenient and isn't real time.
>>
>>51999921
Miyu does mysterious things to my dick.
>>
2016 = year of linux on desktop
>>
>>51999919
>>51999936
>>51999948
>>51999965
>>51999979
What's this jelly shit?
>>
>>51999997
yeah didn't think so
>>
>>52000005
Replies go here
>>51996231
>>51996231
>>51996231
>>
>>51999116

Oh, neat. I thought XFCE was only available on Ubuntu flavored distros (which is why I thought the question would be obvious).

So then, let me rephrase:

Reasons for Fedora over Ubuntu?
>>
>>51999927
>>51999927
Look for a sensors plugin for your DE.
xfce has one, kde has one, i'm fairly sure there's one for gnome as well.
>>
>>52000000
who dis
>>
>>52000005
Just ignore that piece of shit. He's just a jelly sandnigger.
>>
>>51999927
I don't think the Windows-thing is real time either
>>
>>52000121
Programs like Speccy exist, though, and those are real-time
>>
>>51998408
I should have posted this here instead of erroneously making a thread about it:

First time setting up Linux.

In the debian installer, it is time to partition. I am intending to dual boot an a 500GB HDD. There exists a Windows 7 install that currently takes the entire drive. It seems I can resize the windows partition (to maybe take only, say 400GB of the drive).

Am I headed in the right direction? I don't want to fuck this up.
>>
>>52000148
I think it's pretty weird for software like that to be real-time.
>>
>>52000208
Good luck with partitioning with Debian. I'd prefer to shrink it from Windows first or use GParted.
>>
>>52000208
Shrink the partition from the windows volume manager instead.
>>
>>51999323
Package Managers (yum, dnf, apt, portage, pacman) are usually major players.
Then there's also packages, some have newer packages (Bleeding edge, or stability?), different packages (lubuntu desktop, or plain LXDE?) or varying levels of tolerance for non free software.
Also release schedules like rolling release vs every year, 6 months, 5 years, etc.

Any combination of those variables can make the difference in different use cases. Development, Ricing, Server, or animu uses for example.
>>
>>51999808
>What if the Xbox won't support Vulkan?
That's not something likely to happen.

Xbox one will not support it, because it's hardware doesn't support it.

We still have few years until next generation consoles.
And in this time Vulkan will have the opportunity to mature enough to be used.

So there will be two scenarios.
Either Vulkan will become the "go to" solution for most game developers, replacing DX in which Microsoft will have absolutely no fucking reason to not support it because it would be a business suicide for them.

Or Vulkan (as the successor to openGL) will remain the underdog, in which again Microsoft will see no business not supporting it, which would result in games written for it being released as Windows / next playstation only, again, something that Microsoft will not want.

Microsoft doesn't want Vulkan "to happen" because as a competition to DX12 they're afraid to loose their monopoly on the market.
However they cannot afford to "block it" from happening because Microsoft is primarily interested in software being developed for their platform so their users will continue to USE their platform.
Whether they like Vulkan or not, they will support it.

It's not like windows users will loose something on Vulkan, they can only benefit from it.
>>
>>52000081
I'd just answer "go Ubuntu, then go from there". Fedora is a rolling release but this shit won't matter to you when you're figuring out what a package manager is the first time
>>
>>52000240
>>52000233
How can I safely exit/cancel the Debian install to boot back into windows?

Also, I tried it from the windows side a couple days ago but it didn't really want to give me much space (something like 17GB, almost non-adjustable) so I'll check out that GParted program.
>>
>>52000081
>Reasons for Fedora over Ubuntu?
Developing for Fedora is way nicer than developing on Ubuntu.

Fedora tries to keep the packages as close to the upstream as possible, meaning no distro specific bugs (like in apt based distros)

From my experience Fedora spins are lighter than Ubuntu flavours with the same DE.

Fedora has more rapid release cycle (every 6 months).

Fedora has less packages than *buntu.

Fedora is more secure ootb than ubuntu

That's the most major differences between these two.
If there's something you need, use Fedora.
Otherwise, you should be fine with Ubuntu.
>>
>>52000288
Just quit.
As long as you didn't do anything stupid in the partitioner and saved the changes, nothing will happen.
>>
>>52000303
I did a lot of option hunting but I made sure to always back out before submitting any changes. Thanks.
>>
>>52000288
> exit/cancel the Debian install to boot back into windows?

Just don't write changes to the disk and quit, at the partitioning step no changes are made yet,

>something like 17GB
Yeah it can be shit like that, did you try defragging before shrinking though? May help
>>
>>52000290
>Fedora has more rapid release cycle (every 6 months).

Both Fedora and *buntu has 6 months release cycle.
>>
>>52000290
>Fedora has more rapid release cycle (every 6 months).
Same as Ubuntu

>Fedora has less packages than *buntu.
How is that a pro?

>Fedora is more secure ootb than ubuntu
The biggest security risk is still the user.
>>
>>52000315
Aight my bad.
I thought it's generally accepted that using Ubuntu for anything but their LTS releases is just wrong.
>>
>>52000328
>How is that a pro?
I mentioned major differences, not the pros.

And let's be honest, tiny repositories is the single biggest drawback of Fedora vs other distros.
>>
>>52000332
I think you have issues
>>
>>51999921

BunsenLabs

They are honest about what they are and what they're not. On the !#++ website (a few weeks back) I couldn't even find out whether or not they have their own repos. Fuck that noise.
>>
I've been using Linux for about 5 years now, but I feel I haven't transitioned to the next level. I've been a SysAdmin in some positions, but I'm no hard-core kernel hacker or anything like that. How can I get to the next level?
>>
>>51999997

Off by 2. Maybe 2017, eh.
>>
File: swing.jpg (136 KB, 1425x950) Image search: [Google]
swing.jpg
136 KB, 1425x950
I want to test something in debian 8
Jessie is the codename I assume

I feel retarded but I have hard time to find a general use ISO

can someone just plainly link to it?

or should I just:
https://kat.cr/debian-8-2-0-amd64-dvd-1-iso-t11220657.html

I dont have underage anime girl picture that debian fags like but heres perry
>>
>>51998528
>Are there any tips and tricks for this distro?
Best trick: Not using a piece of shit distro
>>
>>52000495
why the antergos hate? it's an arch installer with some added packages and their respository
>>
>>52000506
Install arch with the architect installer.
>>
>>52000506
it gets hated by debian fags for not being debian
it gets hated by arch fags for being arch proxy for people who will be too stupid to use it and will pollute their environment with stupid question

you need to be smart and ask manjaro or antergos?
and then you actually get recommended antergos, cause they hate manjaro way more
>>
>>52000535
or install antegros, both does the installation for you, don't even need to install a DE with antegros
>>52000573
kek i can see why people would dislike manjaro, if only because it's that different
with antegros it just seems like muh sekret klub, as you say
>>
Why the fuck does keys.gnupg.net has to be down right now?
>>
>>52000573
Why do they hate it more?
>>
>>52000607
Installing a DE, so damn hard, eh?
Select your desktop
Enter the correct number
Done
>>
>>52000644
because it's successful
>>
>>52000644
because both antergos and manjaro forget to post their problems in THEIR own community forum and pollute others'
>>
>>52000669
you misinterpret, meant to say
>it doesn't force any DE on you

so again what's so wrong with it? other than arch way autism
>>
>>52000689
>Changing the topic
>Bring autism to the table
Get out
>>
Still can't select from image thumbnails when uploading images to 4chan when using Linux. That alone makes windows superior, imo.
>>
>>52000573
Arch has no reason for a terminal install.
It's as customizable as openSUSE
>>
>>52000706
Works on my machine
>>
I want to start dual booting my windows 10 with some Linux distro. Problem is I want to move my windows installation from SSD to a partition of my HDD. I already created the partition and cloned the Windows partition from ssd into it. However the bootloader partition is not moved or modified. What are my next steps? I have to be 100% sure my windows will keep working (for work). The cloned windows is also on "F" partition, not "C" obviously.
>>
>>52000769
Show me it working on Pale Moon and using anything other than KDE.
>>
>>52000787
Why would you want to move Windows of all things from the SSD?
>>
>>52000787
>I have to be 100% sure my windows will keep working

well that I cant guarantee

but you can say fuck bootloader, install on ssd and during grub installation os-prober will find that windows partition and add it to the grub
>>
>>52000801
So that I can put the linux distro on the SSD
>>
>>52000796
>on Pale Moon
No thx
>anything other than KDE
got that checked already
>>
>>52000813
Windows is in most needing of the SSD.

In your situation, I'd get an extra SSD for Linux.
>>
>>52000820
>No thx
Yeah, didn't think so, kid. Check and Mate.
>>
>>52000809
Tempting....
>>
>>52000835
You moving the goalpost doesn't change shit.
>>
File: Installing Arch.2015.png (2 MB, 2720x8048) Image search: [Google]
Installing Arch.2015.png
2 MB, 2720x8048
>Arch Beginners' wiki
>Summarized
>>
File: Arch_recommendations.png (958 KB, 2646x6592) Image search: [Google]
Arch_recommendations.png
958 KB, 2646x6592
>>52000860
Arch general recommendations
>>
>www-client/chromium-48.0.2564.41::gentoo ...
>1,436,404 KiB
in the name of all fucking wut. I think I'm gonna stay with sjwfox for now.
>>
>>52000831
That's a way, but I want to eventualy move completely away from windows
>>
>>52000860
>grub
>AUR helper
>>
>>51998659
Probably not the best way but try
echo "sudo !!" | bash
>>
>>52000884
But, what about your work? I thought you needed that Windows 100%?
>>
File: What_the_fug.jpg (37 KB, 348x342) Image search: [Google]
What_the_fug.jpg
37 KB, 348x342
>>52000888
Yes?
>>
>>52000911
That has strange behavior on my system.
Somehow always goes for sudo thunar instead of the last command.
>>
>>52000918
I need it to work for now, as a backup if things go wrong or whatever. Fingers crossed wine and photoshop will work. I work with PSDs often
>>
>>51999141
add this to your startup stuff in session and startup: compton --backend glx --paint-on-overlay --vsync opengl-swc
>>
>>52000967
You're killing me.

https://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=17
>>
>>52000879
>actually using gentoo
>afraid to compile
Figures
>>
>>52000858
I'm not moving the goal posts at all.

Firefox has gone to SJW shit, is removing functionality, while packing in crappy features that no one wants and should be left as add-ons. Chrome and Chromium phone home to Google. That leaves PM as the only browser worth using.

When I am uploading images from Windows I can browse through large thumbnails, even in Pale Moon. I can't do that in Linux.

I'm just taking your word for it that you can do it outside of KDE, but I never found a way to do it without having to install a shit load of KDE garbage.
>>
>>51999428
this year has been great for gaming on GNU/Linux actually and with vulkan and amdopen i am pretty sure it will improve even more. but it will take time so the best option at the moment is either dual-booting or trying to get a gpu-passthrough to work.
>>
Which distro is visually better? Papyros or Solus?
>>
>>52001036
I use Seamonkey. And I don't have KDE-shit installed either.

>>52001048
There were a few big names, but how has it been great?
>>
>>52000705
>never changed the topic
>>
>>52001113
You did.
I was referring the ease of selecting out a desktop environment in the architect installer
You, sir, were forcing the false idea of "not forcing a DE" onto this.
I don't see any point in arguing over this

>>52001071
Budgie desktop actually looks convincing
>>
>>52001090
I think you are missing the point here. On Windows, it doesn't matter which browser you are using.
>>
any reason not to start x at boot?
>>
>>52001157
On Windows, it matters which Windows you are using
>>
>>52001157
Haven't used KDE myself. Pictures appear quite small in my file picker, it's one of the issues I face.
But thumbnail+filename > select for bigger thumbnail works for me though
>>
>>52001090
open amd drivers got a lot better, drivers in general got better, there have been many game releases, engine ports (UE4) have gotten better, development tools, steam dev days cleared stuff up for gamedevs(see:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd8ie5R4CVE), gog made sorting by OS easier, vulkan was announced... i know a lot of this was 2014 but game development takes time.
>>
>>52001169
You won't have the fun of starting X by typing startx
>>
>>52001036
you can patch it or just open thunar or another filemanager and drag and drop the images you want to upload. it's the most convenient way.
>>
>>52001171
It works on every modern version of Windows (7 - 10).
>>
>>52001193
This.

Plus, starting with a virtual terminal makes you a leet hacker.
>>
>>52001234
Yes, but it didn't on XP, which is the last one I used at home.
>>
>>51998765
It's not the same. Windows has registry entries for association that only check the file extension. This is part of what makes it so easy to cornhole Windows systems by loading executable payloads in files that don't end in .exe or .bat or .com or .cmd. Linux identifies files by scanning for MIME types and magic bit sequences (e.g. #!/bin/sh for a shell script, ELF headers for binaries, gzip compression) as well as looking at the extension. You can have a file named niggers.tongue.my.anus but if it's C source code it'll show up as that just as if you'd named it niggers.c.
>>
>>52001144
>Budgie desktop actually looks convincing
Sure, and it doesn't fucking work.
Buggy as fuck (couldn't even get it to start) and at this point guessing from it's github its abandonware.
>>
>>52001260
XP is almost a decade and a half old. Linux distros from that same time period were complete garbage.
>>
[[ -z $DISPLAY && $XDG_VTNR -eq 1 ]] && exec startx

>added to bash_profile
>not getting any startx on boot
what do?
>>
>>52001269
But sometimes, I want the same file to behave differently depending on the extension.
>>
>>52001269
this anon speaks truth.
>>
>>52001296
You have strange desires
>>
>>52001291
Revise your ~/xinitrc
>>
>>52001310
It's not really strange at all. For example, *.rar and *.cbr
>>
>>52001350
I changed a .zip file with .png once
It actually worked
>>
>>52001274
>and at this point guessing from it's github its abandonware
Nigga, they are working on it. The RC1 was released last month and the 1.0 will be released the 25th.
>>
>>52001368
It's the exact same file, but I want a rar file to open with something like 7zip, and I want a cbr file to open in a comic reader
>>
>>52001392
>>52001392
>Nigga, they are working on it. The RC1 was released last month and the 1.0 will be released the 25th.

https://github.com/solus-project/budgie-desktop

are we looking at the same project?
>>
>>52001350
"open with" doesn't do it for you?
>>
>>51999912
I've added "console=tty0" and "console=ttyS0" to kernel boot parameters (and removed "quiet"), and I've added "serial console" to GRUB_TERMINAL.

I get the same problem right after starting the guest OS before exiting with ctrl+j. When I virsh into the guest again, I have a console, but ctrl+j (ctrl[+alt]+[j/5/+]) doesn't do shit anymore.

Honestly, I'm going insane.
>>
>>52001421
No, just clicking it is faster and more concise, especially if you don't recall which file is a series of comic pages and which is an archive of other files type.
>>
>>52001464
But, that's what the extension is for - oh wait, you don't display extensions for known file-types, do you?
>>
>>52001500
Yes, I do. Even so, just clicking it is faster.
>>
>>52001416
I don't specifically follow the github, but I follow their news and yes, it's the same project.

https://solus-project.com/2015/12/20/this-week-in-solus-install-15
>>
I'm about to jump on the linux meme this week, /g/. One thing I'm not decided on yet though - systemd, yay or nay? Could you tl;dr me the obvious downsides of using it?
>>
>>52001724
If you are going to use Linux, then just install Linux Mint CInnamon.
>>
>>52001724
You won't even notice. I myself don't like sysemd but as a new user, don't bother
>>
>>52001724
just use systemd for now and don't bother to manually use something else until dmd is stable. i would recommend xubuntu for a new user.
>>
>>52001724
>downsides of using it
There are none. Reasons some decide not to use systemd are for the most part political, all technical downsides I think are mitigated by now (and anyways they were mostly present for admins not regular users)
>>
>>52001746
i'm going Debian, or maybe Devuan
>>52001752
I'm just wondering whether it won't bite me in the ass later on.
>>
>>52001724
>the obvious downsides of using it?
If you are not a developer then there is none.
>>
>>52001800
Then just install LMDE2
>>
>>52001521
>https://solus-project.com/2015/12/20/this-week-in-solus-install-15
It mentions budgie-next as their desktop.

but
https://github.com/ikeydoherty/budgie-next either doesn't exist or is kept private.

I guess I have to wait till 25th

I hope it's gonna be good and relatively lighweight.
I'm definately going to compile it for le tip hat distro
>>
>>52000261
>>52000290

Thanks. I'm pretty comfortable in Ubuntu / Lubuntu; but after seeing Fedora users in the desktop threads I figured I'd ask and see what the fuss was about.
>>
>>52002258
Fedora is a big deal because it is closer to what you would be using in a corporate environment.
>>
>>52001918
accidentaly posted in the wrong thread
>>
>>52002326
In most corporate environments he'd be using Windows. And if he'd get to use Linux, Fedora isn't the most likely one either.
>>
>>52002326
Fedora is a big deal because it's an early adopter.
It's usually the first major distro to make use of new stuff (pulseaudio, systemd and soon wayland).
>>
>>52000860
That's ridiculous. Can't they at the very least put a fucking, even if minimal, manual in the install iso?
>>
>>52002377
>hurr durr, what is Red Hat?
>>
>>52002436
Not the only Linux used by companies
>>
>>52002518
Isn't that goal post heavy?
>>
>>52002538
Not really, you just can't predict which Linux you'd be using in a corporate environment.
Assuming that you get to use Linux at all.
>>
>>52002398
At least they used to have a netinstaller 2/3 years ago, the architect dev forked it.
>>
>>52001317
how do yo umean
>>
fedora
>>
>>52002648
>tips
>>
>>52002588
Wow, you're actually retarded, aren't you.

Me:
>red hat linux is the MOST used in the corporate world.
You:
>OMG! You can't predict that it will be used at EVERY business!!!11ONE

Seriously, just shut the fuck up. I can only stand so much stupid per day.
>>
here's a problem I'm having:

video playback(I've only tested youtube) is fucked for me right now. running firefox on arch and these horizontal flickers appear during playback. It doesn't quite look like screen tearing but it seems like it is a refresh rate issue. The same thing happened with smooth scrolling turned on.

I've no idea if it is a flash/html5 issue, driver issue, compositor issue, or what. I'm using the xf86-video-ati driver with a radeon r9 390 and compton compositor with a glx backend.

Any ideas ?
>>
>>52002721
What OS and desktop?
>>
>>52002709
>red hat linux is the MOST used in the corporate world.
in the US
SLES is used more often in europe.
>>
>>52002733
arch linux no desktop environment just openbox
>>
>>52002721
you use intel the intel GPU. this is an intel issue. use the output of your 390 and see if it helps.
>>
>>52002742
Most of the people on this site are in the States.
>>
>>52002764
? I don't understand. how am I not using the 390?
>>
>>52002772
>corporate WORLD
>WORLD
>>
>>52002772
Check your statistics
http://www.4chan.org/advertise
>>
>>52002772
That depends what time you post, overall sure.
>>
Are there some good youtube channels to subscribe to?
>>
>>52002794
Just stop talking. It's painful how stupid you are.
>>
>>52002803
>Check your statistics
>posts link to statistics that confirm what I am saying
>>
>>52002721
make sure if it's not just a flash/html5 issue by playing some video with mpv or whatever your prefer
>>
>>52002838
>numbers are hard
>>
>>52002838
>less than 50% are from the united states
>most of this site are from the united states
does not compute
>>
>>52002838
47% is most of the people?
It's more than the 53% not from the US?
Really now?
Back to elementary school
>>
>>52002838
>47%
>most
>implying
>>
i've had some issues with a few torrent programs and I'm kind of sick of it.

I want to just jump in openSUSE. I've only used Ubuntu before and I'm not a faggot that will come and complain I didn't know what I was getting into. I just want a diff environment and a torrent program that will work.

Should I

1. Read/Watch videos on openSUSE, lurk these threads for a week or so and then install

2. Just fucking install it.
>>
>>52002904
>>
>>52002904
just do it
>>
>>52002869
The US has 47% the next highest has 8%. Even if you add up every European country, it still doesn't have close to 47%.

Hell, if you include Canada with the States, since Red Hat is more popular there too, you get 55%.

>>52002870
Compare that you any other country. Hell, compare that to any other continent.
>>
>Install Linux Mint
>Ugly fonts
>Try to fix it with infinality or some shit
>Still ugly
>Chromium > Firefox, but Chromium has this ugly grey bar at the top, even in fullscreen
>Can't use any of my Windows knowledge
>Even Skype behaves differently

Fuck this bullshit, I'm back to Botnet 10. At least I'll be able to get shit done.

Fucking Linux doesn't even have something equivalent to Voidtools' Everything.

I'll maybe run it in a VM instead.

Fuck this gay earth.
>>
>>52002904

nah just install that shit. everyone likes to talk like everyone about to install linux is running some multimillion dollar server.
>>
>>52002721
>>52002750
>>52002791
you know what, I'm just going to install fedora. I'm tired of every new piece of software I install requiring hours to make functional. Thanks for the help though.
>>
>>52002930
>Can't use any of my Windows knowledge
That's the main issue, isn't it?
>>
Just installed Linux mint. Two obvious problems so far.

1.) how do I go about installing wifi drivers?
 Network controller [0280]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8723BE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter [10ec:b723]

2.) it booted in software rendering mode, so I assume my graphics drivers aren't up to date. I'm using one of those brand new AMD APUs. Where should I look to start fixing this?
>>
>>52002930
The only way you will get use to Linux is by using it exclusively for at least a month, preferably more.

That is, don't go back to windows to get shit done. Find a way to do it Linux instead.
>>
>>52002930
>do things incorrectly
>dismiss the idea that you may be at fault
>still know you're at fault
>get mad on /g/
>>
>>52001310
It's actually useful sometimes.

You can get a .doc word file, make it .rar, uncompress it and find out that it's actually XML.

You could easily make an application to edit that XML, automating the creation of .doc files.
>>
>>52002923
>Compare that to*
>>
>>52002930
>stuff behaves differently being the main complaint
you really shouldn't have expected it to be similar to windows in any way.
>>
>>52002923
Your ego is pretty fragile if you can't acknowledge you were wrong.
>>
>>52002915
>>52002917
>>52002938

3 out of 3. Alright, will just back up and put my media on an external and get to it then.

Will post here only if I can't figure it out after actually trying/reading and I'm not gonna be a bitch like >>52002930
>>
>>52002976
You don't need to make it .rar for that, just open it with the appropriate program
>>
>>52002965
use a distro with a newer kernel, i got a r9 390 and it works fine on debian testing (kernel version 4.2)
if you use the non-free debian iso your network stuff will probably work OOTB
>>
>>52002987
Tell me what country makes up a larger portion of 4chan than Americans.
>>
File: 2015-11-03_18-21-46.png (909 KB, 886x456) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-03_18-21-46.png
909 KB, 886x456
Going to try Debian net install. System includes 2 disks: 250gb ssd with win 7. Half Full. 2tb hdd, with 600gb of stuffs.
I need to partition in win7 before I start the install, correct? I would like to run Debian from the hdd to minimize system interference and boot issues from win7.
So I should: Make a partition on my hdd (@1tb?) first, then net install. How do I make sure Debian does not mess with my other windows partitions in the menu? Pretty obvious?, or is there something I should take note of? thnks.
>>
>>52003020
can i update the kerrnel while running, if not would you mind just linking me to a distro that will work instantly for me?

I don't mind if it's not Mint. I just want something I can get started with. I'll switch to something that requires autism once I'm used to babby-linux.
>>
>>52003072
He just told you one that works?

Or just update your kernel.
>>
>>52003035
it's not about countries anon, as soon as your english skills are proficient you can work anywhere. the point is that there are more people from outside the US on this site than there are from the US. calm down and stop posting about it.
>>
>>52002996
Dick around in virtualbox first if you're unsure?
>>
>>52003093
he probably did, but I'm also ignorant, so I can read the answer and not realize it's an answer.
I'll try to get it to work now.
>>
>>52003072
debian just works. as long as you can read it should be fine. it's not the perfect beginner distro but it's not hard either. try this iso if you want:
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/8.2.0/amd64/iso-cd/
>>
>>52000095
Most (if not all) of the Gnome extensions are outdated and don't work.
>>
>>52003072
you can update your kernel but that's harder than installing and configuring debian testing.
>>
>>52003160
There must be some way to get that information. You should even be able to just write a script for it.
>>
>>52003134
Nope, I'm not unsure. I'll enjoy figuring things out and learning. I'm getting a new PC in about 2 months anyhow. I'll have win 7 on that pre installed with option to 8.1 if anything so I'll be alright.
>>
>>52003110
>insults someone else's English skills
>doesn't know that Most doesn't always mean above 50%

Hey, if you have 4 apples, 3 oranges and 2 grapefruit, which do you have the most of?

Certainly not the apples, amirite? LEL
>>
>>52002962
Basically, I have ~10 years of built-up knowledge and I can't use any of it >:(
>>
>>52003048
I'd make space in windows before starting, but IIRC you can resize NTFS disks in the installer also.
Grub can handle Windows installs just fine, so you might just use the SSD.

If you want, you can download virtualbox and install Debian in a virtual machine, so you can see how the installer works.
>>
>>52003155
>>52003188
thanks.
>>
>>52003202
dude give up
>>
>>52002982
I wouldn't be as butthurt if things weren't so inconsistent and/or broken. Can't even install a widget because reasons.
>>
>>52003212
I had double of that and still switched to Linux just this year.
And I should have done it earlier.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.