[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mac owner for about 3 months now. I notice there are a lot of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4
File: steve-jobs-31.jpg (370 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
steve-jobs-31.jpg
370 KB, 1920x1200
Mac owner for about 3 months now.

I notice there are a lot of Macfag vs. anti-Mac posts on here. As someone who's fairly impartial (I own one Apple product, the mac I'm typing this on, and nothing else) I feel I can give a pretty decent verdict on these computers. So here I go.

My verdict: these are very nice machines but somewhat overpriced.

I'll go over some common pro-Mac and anti-Mac claims and why I think they're crap.

> Pro-Mac: Just werks!

I don't think this is really a valid point. The OS isn't any easier than Windows. They both "just werk." Viruses are not that hard to avoid in Windows. Also none of my Windows machines in the past 10 years have had issues with crashing or whatever.

> Anti-mac: It's overpriced by $1000 or more!

Macs are overpriced but not by the huge margin anti-Mac fags say. It's true you can get entry level MacBook pro specs for under $500, but computers aren't ONLY about specs. Macs have a very nice keyboard, screen, and trackpad. They're also unibody so you don't get that issue with some laptops where they crack at the seems after a while. I'd say the typical mac is overpriced by about $300, but it's not the gigantic markup the anti-macfags claim by disingenuously only focusing on specs.

> Pro-Mac: huge battery life!

This isn't because of a better battery, it's because of how macs handle idle time. They effectively just shut off after a while.

> Anti-Mac: You can't do __________ In OSX.

I haven't noticed any lack of important functionality in OSX. This seems like a complaint that only hobbyists would care about.

I've had ample time to get used to the operating system
>>
desktop macs are way more overpriced, macbooks are well worth it
>>
My overall verdict is that macs are pretty cool but not as cool as Macfags claim. The physical hardware is very, very nice. They are probably the best laptops you can get in terms of how the physical elements are designed. I especially like how the screen isn't "wobbly" like many laptop screens are, it seems they've gone the extra mile in terms of making sure the screen stays solidly in place. The software, on the other hand, is nothing to write home about. I don't think OSX has any obvious advantages over Windows. Also office is generally better than the Mac Productivity suite (with the exception of Keynote). I also feel that Yosemite has certain bugs that are for some reason never talked about, like sometimes the screen will turn black for no reason when I'm trying to boot up.

Overall I think macs are good. Not really fantastic or amazing or anything, but good. I'd buy another one if I got a deal on it. I'd probably never buy one brand new and at full list price. You need to take at least 2 or 3 hundred bucks off the price of these things before they're worth it IMO.
>>
>>45620973
Pro tip: only losers argue about someone else's OS choice and computer choice. I never waste time arguing about that.

And considering how full of creeps /g/ is, that would be an even worse idea. I've learned never to take advice from /g/: it's either bad, severely biased or incomplete.

For example, if you ask /g/ Windows 8.1 is total crap, it's unusable, metro is crap, bloat, etc. I installed 8.1, configured it as I wanted it, and it has no bloat, no crap, no botnet, local user, etc. It's perfectly usable, as long as you don't invest too much attention to how an OS is, which is what losers do, since they don't have anything else in their life but their computers.
>>
cool opinion m8
>>
>>45621025
Wrong. Desktop Macs are better than any equivalent priced Windows PC.
>>
>>45621069
Ayyyy lmao
>>
>>45621086
I don't understand.
>>
>>45620973
Fuck you macfags.

It's a matter of freedom, not usability.

Read this: https://stallman.org/apple.html
Watch this video: http://fsf.org/blogs/rms/20140407-geneva-tedx-talk-free-software-free-society

You'll understand why /g/ hates macfags.
>>
>>45621095
I was laughing at the joke you made.
>>
>>45620973
Epic blog OP! I love it! +1
>>
>>45621104
It's not a joke though. Stay mad, winfag. Enjoy your HP with 1 GB of RAM, 1366x768 'high res' display and a year of Norton, all for the low price of $1500!
>>
>>45620973

I got a 15" Macbook Pro Retina $2600
16gigs, core i7, 512 pcie ssd

Fast as fuck, reboots in less than 10s (on a bad day)

machine is sexy as fuck, no other laptop can ever compare to the build quality. ever.

Battery lasts till the next fucking coming, charges faster than I can recharge my weiner.

Display is sexy, although PS and MS office look like shit because they are not made for retina

It just works. Support is very good. If I break something, I take it to the store, not send it in for two weeks and talk to some indian on the phone for 5 hours.

Got parallels from TPB, works great, and I am going to buy it eventually because I think they deserve my $80

>My windows laptop

Shitty plastic, shitty build, lots of bloatware, although that was easy to remove with a fresh install

Battery gives after 1 year (almost exactly)

charger plugs in and is not magnetic

idk I like the mac more than any windows I've ever had
>>
>>45620973
>Macs are overpriced
I don't agree with this for a reason you might discover later on.

A low spec macbook pro can handle impressive amount of tasks at once, something you wouldn't be able to do with with the same specs on a windows machine.

For example, a macbook pro with intel HD 4000 is able to run 4k video without problem.

The thing is, that "margin" you are talking about is the reason why Apple computers are designed the way they are. The hardware is powered by a very efficient software foundation, things you wouldn't be able to do with such a broad computer range such as Android or Windows.

It'd be interesting to see computers with the exact specs and see how they perform, but unfortunately these comparisons are always biased since they always use a laptop or desktop with a higher or lower generation of processors, faster or slower ram, or even lower or higher bandwidth in motherboards. Things the common user wouldn't notice. And the reason why a lot of people believe "Same spec computers are cheaper" but not necessarily better/faster compared to an OS X based computer.
>>
>>45621128
Is this not /g/? Who here bought a prebuilt?
>>
>>45621129
OP here.

Oh yeah I should have touched on all that crap that PC vendors add on to your machine. The bloatware and the fucking stickers they put on the case are really lame. Especially the fucking stickers man WTF talk about ruining the aesthetic. Why do PC manufacturers do this anyway?
>>
>>45621144
Prebuilts offer a better value per dollar, plus great warranties and included software. I'd say that's worth it over building my own PC.
>>
>>45621181
Oh my bad. I have been trolled.

8/10 because you dropped the ball.
>>
>>45621103
>https://stallman.org/apple.html
> I can't sympathize much with those app developers, since they are making proprietary software. They all deserve to fail. However, that doesn't excuse the way Apple treats them.

Yeah this sounds like the work of a really reasonable guy.
>>
>>45621129
Me again, I also wanted to say a cons about mac

My brother has 2012 macbook pro 13" (which convinced me to get one)

Upgraded SSD to 256 Samsung Evo or some shit
Hard drive cable broke twice, more on that later

anyways, we both get Yosemite beta, works great through all 6 versions. Yosemite final slows my bros computer down like a fucking snail thats sleeping

>Go to the mac store, they said we need a new hard drive

>We dont but out of curiosity we ask how much
>Fucking $150 + $50 labor for hard drive
>must be error
>Was an error, that was for a HDD, not an SSD (Which came with the mac)
>new price was $450+$50 labor for new 128 apple SSD
>Fuck no
>Walk away
>Go back the next day, new guys says its the HDD cable
>$15 no labor since he felt bad
>took 3 days to repair when its a 10 minute job
>Never going back to that store again

This is at the mac store by our university, but we had this problem before and took it to the store by our house

We go and its a 1 hour job and $50 (including labor) and we come back 30 minutes later and its done. We looked at the macbook and:

They scratched the shit out of that fucking gorgeous CNC Billet laptop. Fuck them

So they apologized, told us to come back the next day
Got new screen (the back side was scratched) and free repairs on the hard drive cable.

Free screen and cable, not bad apple, not bad

Also, Yosemite blocks SMART or TRIM on SSDs that are 3rd party. FUCK YOU APPLE
>>
>>45621169
IDK, they need to get the dicks out of their ass and see that making quality products attract more customers even though its more expensive
>>
File: lel2.png (906 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
lel2.png
906 KB, 1680x1050
>>45621103
>still believes GNU was the biggest piece of linux.
Stallman is the most retarded person there could ever exist. His logic just does NOT work anymore.

Imagine if video games were open source? There wouldn't be a story line or a way to keep you from cheating in multiplayer. What if video games have backdoors too? You have to open your network to play some of them anyways.

Also he brings absolutely no reliable sources to the things he is saying. He immediately blames Apple and Microsoft for this problem. There's about 7 billion of people in the world, I doubt no one has ever gone inside the code of these two companie's operating system to search for malware.

When a computer connects to the internet is game over, it's like a girl going outside her house dressed like a slut and expecting creeps not taking pictures of her.
>>
File: 1417250540195.png (789 KB, 942x810) Image search: [Google]
1417250540195.png
789 KB, 942x810
>macshit
>ever
>$1500+ for $200 chromebook performance
>>
>>45621361
GNU is in fact bigger than Linux
>>
Macs are terrible simply because they are over priced and gaming in particular is terrible on them due to large amount of incompatible games. Those two reasons are enough for macs to be terrible. There is simply no reason to give apple those extra 300$ for the exact same thing as a Windows/Linux machine.
>>
Arguing with people over this shit is a huge waste of time.
>>
>>45621128
What?
>>
File: 1373950940266.jpg (7 KB, 242x208) Image search: [Google]
1373950940266.jpg
7 KB, 242x208
>>45621361
>videogames
>>
>>45620973
My experience with OSX
> app quit unexpectedly, send bug report?
> right click force close
> swirling lollypop
>>
>>45621931
Nice meme picture
>>
>>45621361
How does giving the source code when publishing a game remove story line from the game? You're not making much sense.

Many anti-cheat systems would work just as well with public source. Security through obscurity is not the only way to do anti-cheat.

On the topic of free(as in free software licensed) games, the game's assets(graphics and stuff) can be licensed differently than the executable program. So game studios wouldn't even need to change their business models at all if they moved to free software.
>>
I was thinking of tweaking my desktop's hardware into being a hackintosh, but I'm concerned about stability and the effort I'd have to put into tweaking it each time a big update comes around. Would it be easier (and cheaper) to just get a Mac mini? I'd need a new mobo and CPU. Also, I think my current GPU has issues with hackintoshing.
>>
>>45621744
Who keeps spamming this picture? Jesus
>>
>>45620973
>it's because of how macs handle idle time. They effectively just shut off after a while
please clarify
>>
>>45621103
>Apple banned from iTunes the erotic novel, The Proof of the Honey, saying it was because of the cover.

He is so lonely
>>
>>45622121
I wouldn't bother. I spent a decent amount of time trying to get OS X working on my desktop and I could never get the GPU drivers working.
>>
>>45622178
I knew Jesus would save us from the macfags.
>>
>>45622121
>installing macbabby OS
>ever
>>
>>45621931
Do you have any idea how big the game industry is? It's not insignificant so that you may just brush it aside like it's not software/tech related
>>
>>45622201
It makes a huge difference if you build with OS X in mind and buy all OOB components. If you do that it's stupidly easy.
>>
>>45623324
The issue with that is that I already hava a custom built rig, and in order for it to be a compatible mackintosh, I'd need to replace a few pricey components. Also, I've read that it isn't uncommon for shit to break when a new osx comes out. I was wondering of it'd just be cheaper and easier to invest in a Mac mini and a simple KVM switch.
>>
>>45621141
So many claims so little data. You don't need to spend more than 600 on on a laptop unless you have VERY SPECIFIC NEEDS
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.