[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly GNU plus Linux thread.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25
File: ayylmaotoopeke.png (2 MB, 3000x4000) Image search: [Google]
ayylmaotoopeke.png
2 MB, 3000x4000
Old thread at 300+ posts.

Intended for users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are three ways to try GNU plus Linux, you can:

1) Install a GNU plus Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
2) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU plus Linux experience".
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU plus Linux (very recommended, for your freedom)

If you are serious about switching to GNU plus Linux and if you have Windows dual-booted (recommended for pure newbies),
we recommend you use it exclusively for 2 weeks, and avoid Windows dual booting for that period of time, or it's
likely you will start retreating back to windows instead of getting used to GNU plus Linux as your new home and working on
making it feel the way you want it.

>Recommended for beginners:
-SourceMage (http://beta.sourcemage.ru)
-Trisquel [Recommended]
-Suicide GNU plus Linux

Before asking, please find the answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU plus Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe wine can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
your friendly neighborhood search engine
>>>/g/sqt
http://imswinging.com
http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Main_Page
http://wiki.installgentoo.com/
>>
>>51963515
What is GNU plus Linux?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux

Babby's First GNU plus Linux (What GNU plus Linux distro to choose?)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

What software does /g/ recommend? (Please DON'T include the so called infographic -- refer all your recommended software here.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software

Ricing on GNU plus Linux (Make it good and functional or make it worse like those at desktop threads)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing

A script designed to ease the transition from Windows to Debian
https://github.com/Chocolate-Chip-Computing/DebianNewbieScript [CREATED BY A FURRY BRONY FAGGOT]

We now have an entry in the install Gentoo wiki!
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php//flt/

IRC No one uses:
irc://irc.freenode.org:+7000/FriendlyLinux [CREATED BY SAME FURRY BRONY FAGGOT]
>>
Would it be possible to put QUIX on GNU/Hurd and use GNU/Emacs as a front-end?
>>
I installed GNOME 3 on my fresh Arch install today, and I hate it. How would I remove it? I'll be installing xfce when it's gone.
>>
>>51963537
oh and to add, I got this message when I logged on
Error launching /usr/share/applications/kde4/konsole.desktop. Either KLauncher is not running anymore, or it failed to start the application.

And my IRC client lost it's theme. Is my install just fucked?
>>
>>51963537
Show your fstab
>>
>>51963615
UUID=95b47328-b1a1-4069-b105-79e0b0c605ac    /                                ext4    errors=remount-ro    0    1
# swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
##old UUID=c15a821c-07d2-402f-b382-0d656a1b7584 none swap sw 0 0
##new swap
UUID=4d0eab51-28d7-4874-b7c2-0e0f8dda4c56 none swap sw 0 0

UUID=f9b22a53-670a-4fbc-b278-ea8d2e73c125 /home/()/Files ext4 defaults 0 0

UUID=68F01586F0155B9E /media/()/68F01586F0155B9E ntfs defaults 0 0

First is my Debian install, second is some swap partition that I guess was probably there at some point (doesn't work), 3rd is swap file (located at /home/()/Files/swap), 4th is Windows
>>
>>51963663
comment out two and three
>>
Reminder that Gentoo's portage system is a shit copy of the BSD ports system.
>>
>>51963663
>>51963684
My bad, 3rd is the largest partition (with most of my files on) and the 5th is Windows
>>
>>51963698
epic b8 m8
>>51963704
there are only 4 entries.
>>
>>51963720
Including the one I commented out, that is
So comment out the swap file and files partition? What would that accomplish?
>>
File: GOLEM GET YE GONE.jpg (241 KB, 966x1372) Image search: [Google]
GOLEM GET YE GONE.jpg
241 KB, 966x1372
>>
>>51963735
comment out the swap. You haven't set it correctly, you didn't follow the guide that was linked to you.
>>
>>51963515
is there any SLI support with nvidia drivers on linux? how's maxwell performance?
>>
>>51963752
>you didn't follow the guide that was linked to you
Do you mean the 'sw' instead of 'defaults'? I have a Debian Wiki guide up which is pretty much identical aside from that, and figured I'd have better luck with it than an Arch guide. But I don't know the difference it would make.
>>
>>51963563
if you write a few drivers you may be able to do so.
>>
>>51963720
It's not bait. Portage is based on Ports.
>>
>>51963566
sudo pacman -R gnome

This should work. If it doesn't, oh well, you don't really NEED to uninstall it. Just open up your .xinitrc and remove the line that launches gnome.
Then just install xfce4 and add `exec startxfce4` to your xinitrc.
>>
>>51963817
yeah and made improvements on it
>>
>>51963760
>is there any SLI support with nvidia drivers on linux? how's maxwell performance?
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/845462/current-state-of-sli-support-is-broken-across-all-linux-distros/
>>
>>51963819
Oh. I'll definitely use the .xinitrc method, but what about GDM? Whenever I turn on my machine I'm booted into GNOME through that.
>>
>>51963845
Fresh off the boat, from reddit, kid? heh I remember when I was just like you. Braindead. Lemme give you a tip so you can make it in this cyber sanctuary: never make jokes like that. You got no reputation here, you got no name, you got jackshit here. It's survival of the fittest and you ain't gonna survive long on 4chan by saying stupid jokes that your little hugbox cuntsucking reddit friends would upboat. None of that here. You don't upboat. You don't downboat. This ain't reddit, kid. This is 4chan. We have REAL intellectual discussion, something I don't think you're all that familiar with. You don't like it, you can hit the bricks on over to imgur, you daily show watching son of a bitch. I hope you don't tho. I hope you stay here and learn our ways. Things are different here, unlike any other place that the light of internet pop culture reaches. You can be anything here. Me ? heh, I'm a judge.. this place.... this place has a lot to offer... heh you'll see, kid . . . that is if you can handle it...
>>
I'm able to partition my hdd but when I reboot my computer it says no bootable devices found. I only have one hdd so I can't be booting from something else. Is it the partitioning that didn't work or can my laptop not find my hdd only when booting? I'm not manually partitioning so I don't think that there are any mistakes with how the partitions are set up and when I do partition it finds the hdd so I don't understand why it says that there aren't any bootable devices when I restart after the installation. Any help?
>>
I had a problem with the sound (having no sound is a problem, right?) in my Arch linux install so I tried to fix it.
I did a ton of things I didnt understood by navigating from Youtube tuto to forums and the Arch wiki.

Then, as I turned on my computer this time, I heard white noise for like one quarter of a second and when I tried again, I had sound.

Now, I am failing to tune the volume in a "easy way".
I have Alsa and PulseAudio installed.

amixer sset Master,0 5%+

gives back
amixer: Unable to find simple control 'Master',0

without modifications on the sound volume.

pactl set-sink-volume 0 +10%

Gives back a clean prompt but again, the volume did not change.

To modify the volume, I have to go in aslamixer, type f6 and select the intel PCH card, then use the keyboard arrow to change the volume.
>>
>>51963856
gdm is part of gnome so uninstalling gnome should uninstall gdm.
>>
>>51963566
>>51963819
>>51963856
No use
pacman -Rs package_name

This removes all dependencies, bloat, and other bullshit installed by gnome. Just removing the gnome package leaves a lot of useless shit behind.
>>
>>51963912
gnome is a group, not a package. According to my brief lookup it contains 47 packages. Removing the group will remove all 47.

And even if it didn't, all the dependencies and whatnot would get wiped away the next time he does a cleanup.
>>
>>51963875
epic pasta son
>>
>>51963945
so just use
sudo pacman -R  gnome
then change .xinitrc

How do I do a cleanup?
>>
>>51963515
How hard is it to make your own WM?

I'd like to make a custom one.
>>
>>51963969
There's a couple ways. This is the one I use:
sudo pacman -Rcns $(pacman -Qdtq)
>>
>>51964022
I know fuck all but it looks like I'm removing pacman...
>>
>>51963883
$ pactl list
to find what sink you're using, look for a sink that says running and run, for example for 5, which was my case
pactl -- set-sink-volume 5 +10%
the -- is to prevent it from taking -10% as an option
this worked for me in debian at least
>>
>>51963878
Why do you think that partitions and bootable devices are the same thing?
>>
>>51964083
I myself am not entirely sure what each flag does but basically `pacman -Qdtq` lists every package that you don't need (is a dependency that isn't needed anymore, ghost packages, etc.) and then `pacman -Rcns` removes those packages.
>>
>>51964083
>>51964022
Disregard me, I'm retarded.

>>51964105
Thanks. I googled it because I don't want to fuck my shit up
>>
>>51963778
Someone help please I've had this issue for months and my brain is shutting down due to sleep deprivation
>>
>>51964148
Follow the advice you were given.
>>
>>51964158
I did. And after reading this post, I removed the swap file completely, and went through the entire section of that wiki again, following every step precisely to make sure I didn't miss anything I could've fucked up before.
Rebooted, had to wait 90 seconds again - only this time, the UUID shown in the error msgs is the one I just added
Dec 20 16:26:01 Admin systemd[1]: Timed out waiting for device dev-disk-by\x2duuid-c79c81db\x2da40e\x2d472e\x2db2fb\x2d0c234dd9e603.device.
Dec 20 16:26:01 Admin systemd[1]: Dependency failed for /dev/disk/by-uuid/c79c81db-a40e-472e-b2fb-0c234dd9e603.
Dec 20 16:26:01 Admin systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Swap.
>>
>>51964285
show fstab
>>
>>51964285
>>51964293
haha wow I managed to mess it up again
replaced the UUID I entered with the swap file location, it rebooted quickly this time. Thank you anon

i need to fucking sleep man
>>
>>51964334
>i need to fucking sleep man
You need to follow instructions, that's all.
>>
>>51964340
nah I woke up at ~10pm last night and had a pretty fragmented sleep the couple days before
I know when I'm out of a function mental state thanks
>>
>>51964091
There are two sinks appearing but both appear to be suspended.
>>
for a personal server, would debian be okay?

I do like bleeding edge, but arch might be a bit too fast for a relatively stable server purpose, or?
any other interesting choices?
>>
>>51964439
yeah, debian is perfect. it's a very stable base and you can always add more bleeding edge stuff from other repos or by building it yourself.
>>
>>51964544
>add more bleeding edge stuff from other repos or by building it yourself
The farther you go from the official repos, the less benefit of using a stable distro over a more bleeding edge one you will have.
>>
>install and configure files with nano for 20 minutes
>works on the first try
Didn't expect it to but it feels good
>>
I've got a bit of a problem with my Manjaro install, which has become almost totally unresponsive.

I added the app 'Configurable Menu" to my appbar (not for the first time, just wanted to try it again) and immediately got a notification that read (roughly) "repos source actor is undefined".

After that, everything went to shit. The mouse moves, but can't interact, and pressing the super key opens the old menu, though there's no interacting with it either. Restarting is futile.

I can get into the text terminal with crtl+alt+fn, but haven't been able to do anything useful.

I'm on Windows now and will try to find some solution, but I'd appreciate any assistance.
>>
>>51964693
Yeah, configurable menu doesn't work on cinnamon 2.8+. Boot with a live CD and delete the applet files.
>>
Can someone tell me how to use the "post installation script" for tlp on http://linrunner.de/en/tlp/docs/tlp-developer-documentation.html? I want to mask systemd-rfkill to remove an error message during boot. Do I just have to execute the portion with "# Mask conflicting systemd services" once or does it go in a tlp config file?
>>
If I install Antergos am I obliged to spend ages tweaking? I like the idea of almost no packages and me just installing exactly what I need, I just don't care for spending hours setting up my wifi or whatever
>>
>>51964593
i'm not saying you should be adding loads of unstable shit, but using debian stable with, say, a php 7 build and recent (1.9+) nginx is simple and effective.
>>
File: thanks.jpg (44 KB, 405x348) Image search: [Google]
thanks.jpg
44 KB, 405x348
>>51964735
That worked. Thanks.
>>
Why do people say Arch is hard?

As I understand it, it requires 2 skills: reading and typing. Ok, maybe it needs a bit of memorization as well.
>>
Trying to install Debian and when it's trying to detect network hardware it says in missing firmware files iwlwifi-6000g2a-6.ucode and iwlwifi-6000g2a-5.ucode can skip that and install the firmware later? I assume without these I can't connect to the internet
>>
>>51965370
skip it and install later after adding non-free to /etc/apt/sources.list
same thing on my laptop.
>>
>>51965427
wtf does that mean sorry for retardism
>>
I'm installing Gentoo in a few hours. I'm aware that this is going to take about 30 hours.

Anyone installed Gentoo and can give a rundown of the process?
>>
>>51965466
You need to get an old optical disk, stick it into your anus until it cuts you, then you need to take the disk out without disturbing the pattern of shit and blood that formed on it, then you need to take out your HDD, open it up, and take one of the highly reflective aluminum disks out, and replacing that with your shit CD. Only then will your computer work.
>>
>>51965494
nice meme
>>
>>51965479
The wiki details is.
Or read funtoo's install guide, it's more streamlined.
>>
>>51965285
Because autists like to pretend that they've accomplished something by installing arch.
It's the only sense of achievement they'll ever get in their lives, so let them have it.
>>
>>51965285
>reading
You do realize a lot of people on /g/ don't know how to do that?
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-20_19-10-46.png (122 KB, 961x542) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-20_19-10-46.png
122 KB, 961x542
>>51965466
install it, then open the file sources.list in /etc/apt/ with your favorite text editor/nano and add the word non-free after the word main.
>>
Can I rice Ubuntu too? Or do I have to install Arch?
>>
Posted in old thread, but gone when I woke up this morning:

XFCE or LXDE?

On LXDE, contemplating a shift.

Semi related, anyone recommend Kali as a daily driver even if you're not trying to be l33t haX0r ?
>>
>>51965598
kek you can rice any distro as much as any other.
>>
>>51965598
you can rice any distro. arch will just make you think your e-peen grew a bit.
>>
>>51965612
XFCE has more features than LXDE.

>kali
Did you actually fall for this?
>>
>>51965612
>anyone recommend Kali as a daily driver even if you're not trying to be l33t haX0r ?
no, that's the opposite of what it is meant for.
>>
>>51965612
kali is not a good idea for a daily driver. you run it as root by default which is insecure. use debian if you tried kali and liked it.
i like XFCE better but it's a matter of choice.
>>
Why do some people use window managers and not DEs?
They make their desktops look like tablet interfaces and stuff.
But tablets UIs are not very good for productivity, so why do that? Sounds pointless to me.
>>
>>51965577
Easy as that? Thanks,you the real mvp!
>>
>>51965654
Window managers are low on system resources. Also, you can install what programs you actually need and avoid the complimentary bloat. WM is better for ricing.
>>
>>51965672
after this you need to type these into terminal:
sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude dist-upgrade
sudo aptitude install firmware-iwlwifi
>>
>>51965654
>They make their desktops look like tablet interfaces and stuff.
No, they don't
>>
>>51965740
Butthurt animefaggot, go back to the ricing general.
>>
>>51965654
I think you've got it the wrong way around, gnome and kde look like tablet interfaces, they're actually designed to be usable on tablets.
>>
>>51965724
So since I won't have Wi-Fi after the install I'll have to have an Ethernet connection?
>>
For some reason my clock keeps setting to 5 hours behind. I think it's setting it on shutdown. How do I fix this?
>>
>>51965790
yes
>>
Does anyone here use Feh to display images? I'm using the --scale-down argument with it and it's making Feh briefly flash the full size image before showing the scaled down version. Is this normal for Feh?
>>
>>51965951
No such behavior on my system
>>
>>51965648
>>51965633
>>51965624

Thanks - I don't know anything about Kali other than it installs a metric shit-ton of penetration testing utils, hence why I was asking.

I wasn't sure if it was something you could actually use day to day or just a specialized tool.

Alright, well; I've been rolling with LXDE and a Lubuntu-desktop... I think I'll check out XFCE.

Thanks much for the help.
>>
>>51965790
>>Recommended for beginners:
>-SourceMage (http://beta.sourcemage.ru)
>-Trisquel [Recommended]
>-Suicide GNU plus Linux
I swear to god this thread is made by a /b/ memelord
>>
Is there a guide to debloat korora?
>>
I'm building a gaming PC and intend to install Linux first so I can have some fun with it then later install Windows 7 when I want to spend time getting a dual boot to work. I only have experience installing Linux after Windows so how much of a pain is it to partition and reinstall GRUB? Have I got things ass-backwards?
>>
>>51966506
boot into a live medium and fix grub, it's not that hard.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/88384/how-can-i-repair-grub-how-to-get-ubuntu-back-after-installing-windows
>>
>>51966556
Well that seems pretty retard proof. Thank you! Just saved me a lot of stress!
>>
>>51966108
>>51965951

It's a bug with tiling window managers.

>feh was created with a floating window layout in mind. However, as of 2.0.1, it has limited support for tiling window managers.

>Specifically, the --scale-down and --auto-zoom options will detect a tiling environment and scale the image up / down to the current window size. Unfortunately, this causes every image to be rendered twice: First in a normal fashion, and then (after noticing that the window is being tiled) again with the correct zoom level.

>This is a known bug and will hopefully get fixed some time. For now, it can be avoided by using --geometry 500x500 (or any other geometry). This will have the same behaviour as --scale-down, but without the flickering.
>>
File: gentoo.png (79 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
gentoo.png
79 KB, 1366x768
I've been trying to get Alsa (or just sound in general) to work on this installation of gentoo on an X230T.

Made sure I had the alsa USE-flag enabled and also unmuted everything in the alsamixer. Even added alsa to the runlevel manually to be extra sure but it still doesn't work.
The mute button LED is lit up and mpv reacts to it when pressed while playing a video. However there is still no sound and the LED does not turn off.

Any suggestions?
>>
File: tumblr_mnceg3dU1f1razvfio1_250.gif (2 MB, 210x368) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mnceg3dU1f1razvfio1_250.gif
2 MB, 210x368
pls stop bullying Arch
>>
>>51966712
Have you played around with /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf yet?
>>
>>51966716
>>>/hugbox/
>>
>>51966716
Don't worry. Once enough people switch over to Debian, it'll be the new thing to hate.
>>
>>51966716
how about you suck my cock and ill think about it
>>
>>51965577

testing-updates my resolve, but it's not a repo.

See here:

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html
>>
>>51966716

Who's bullying Arch?
>>
>>51966865
i just replaced all instances of jessie with testing. any disadvantages in that?
>>
Is Ninite good to use? I'm reverting back to Win7 and thought I'd give it a try. Also, which antivirus (included in Ninite) shoud I use?
>>
>>51966968
You'll autoupdate to the new testing once it's available and you do dist-upgrade. This might break things.
>>
>>51966981
What the fuck!? I thought this was the /sqg/. Disregard me.
>>
>>51966981

I don't know about Ninite, but Chocolatey is bringing a package manager to Windows.
>>
>>51966987
so i should rather use stretch and change the name once it changes? or just switch to unstable completely?
>>
>>51967019
Depends on what you want
>>
>>51967039
debian testing for all eternity without changing sources again.
>>
What's the fastest possible way to dual boot W10 and a linux distro on a slightly decent PC (average SSD, UEFI)? W10 here boots pretty darn fast with fast startup disabled, which is why I'm asking.

Also is it possible to hide grub/syslinux and have the system just choose to boot one system automatically and the other by holding a key while booting? Cause that'd be fucking metal.
>>
>>51967053
Then use testing. Don't blame anyone if shit breaks though.
>>
>>51967083
no problem with that, i'll fix it or wait a few weeks if i have to.
>>
>>51967060
>Also is it possible to hide grub/syslinux and have the system just choose to boot one system automatically and the other by holding a key while booting?

I get what you'd want this, but it's dumb and dangerous.
>>
A useful thing that the Arch wiki doesn't outright tell you:

If you're dual-booting and your most used Windows files are still on the Windows partition or drive, then use NTFS-3G. It mounts the partition, allowing everything to be read and wrote to with ease.
>>
>>51963515
those recommendations are mean. SourceMage is confusing, Trisquel has firmware issues OOTB and Suicide literally breaks off typos.

Actual recommended noob distros: Kubuntu and ElementaryOS
>>
>>51966802
I have not. I'll see to that.
>>
>>51967295
>elementary
>Kubuntu
no
also i don't think OP was serious.
>>
>>51965811
pls respond
>>
>>51967567
Check the time in the bios. Other than that, more info needed. Check which services are running during shutdown (I suspect it syncs with hardware/bios clock).
>>
>>51967567
Maybe your timezone wasn't set correctly?
>>
>>51965811
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Time

This is expected if you dual boot with Windows, but it also happens for other reasons.

I'm personally too lazy to edit and tinker with Windows' registry, I just follow:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Time#Troubleshooting
>>
File: ayaro.jpg (27 KB, 316x306) Image search: [Google]
ayaro.jpg
27 KB, 316x306
>>51965479
Welp, didn't even manage to start before running into a problem.

I burned the minimal AMD64 install ISO to a cd-r and it wouldn't boot; it just went to the hard drive and booted normally.

So I burned it to a flash drive and it won't boot.

I'm following a guide from the wiki now; can anyone tell me why it's doing this?

Also
> TFW your laptop doesn't have fucking wget installed.
>>
>>51967357
Fuck, I can't figure this shit out.
>>
>>51968072
The HDD is higher in the boot order?
>>
>>51968072
You should consider installing gentoo from a graphical live environment like Ubuntu.
>>
>>51967388
just why the fuck not?

>Ubuntu -> Just werks
>Kubuntu -> Ubuntu + KDE Master race
>EOS -> Ubuntu + Better looking DE + Gnome apps + less firmware/update drama

Remember we're talking about normie-proof distros. We know Debian is far more stable/customizable and Arch is bleeding edge, but normies don't give a fuck about that. They want something that works and doesn't require much reading to fix/customize.
>>
>>51968157
KDE is not "Masterrace" and elementary is buggy. xubuntu and LMDE are good beginner distros.
>>
>>51968191
XFCE is over dude. Prefer MATE.
>>
>>51968115
I made certain to place the flash drive and the cd-r higher in the boot order.

>>51968143
You mean a hybrid ISO? I feel like using a graphical installer sort of defeats the purpose of installing Gentoo.
>>
>>51968261
>XFCE is over
never
>>
>>51968319
>gtk2
>compositing throught xrender instead of opengl
>no plans to porting to wayland
>>
>>51963748
golem get ye gone
>>
>>51966712
what de/wm is that
>>
>>51968098
http://alsa.opensrc.org/Troubleshooting
http://alsa.opensrc.org/MultipleCards
^ help directly from the ALSA team themselves

Reading your original post more, I'm guessing your problems are more about any kind of sound as opposed to just headphone sound.

I'm not gonna lie: ALSA problems are confusing and most solutions I've found are basically voodoo and handwaving. And, of course, things are doubly weird with a Gentoo install.
>>
So is there anything like Arch but using stable packages? Perhaps there is a way to install Arch using only stable packages?

I'd like to set up my own system but bleeding edge isn't for me.
>>
>>51968394
WindowMaker
>>
>>51968345
>>compositing throught xrender instead of opengl
pretty sure everybody that uses XFCE uses it with compton.
>>no plans to porting to wayland
why would they do this just now? there's no point in adapting it before it's stable.
>>51968345
>>gtk2
stability>adapting everything ASAP
>>
>>51968424
Thank you. I really appreciate you pointing me in the right directions.
>>
>>51968425
debian net install?
>>
>>51968072
If you're installing from a USB drive, make sure to use a USB2.0 port. I've had a problem where it would refuse to continue loading the initial livecd environment from USB3.0.

Just keep going, faggot, you'll make it.
>>
>>51968191
LMDE is silly, Using Debian directly is way better and less confusing even to normies.
>>
>decide to switch
>end up settling for arch
>can't give a reason as to why i need rolling releases
>don't actually have the time
>really no objective reason for me to pick arch
>but i really want to
fuck it, starting in virtualbox tho
>>
File: 1448821681260.png (871 KB, 650x4377) Image search: [Google]
1448821681260.png
871 KB, 650x4377
>>51968809
if you hate arch, test something else.
>>
>>51968837
if i end up hating it ill jump straight to *buntu + i3
>>
>>51968855
why use i3 from the start? do you love memes this much? i3 is great but using it as a beginner may not be a good idea.
>>
>>51968885
i3 is part of the reason im switching, i'm practically already using windows "tiled"
>>
>>51968901
KEK Get ready for surprises
>>
>>51968546
Regular Debian doesn't have the Mint Tools though.
>>
>>51968980
watched few vids, it's not exactly rocket science
>>
>>51968981
you say that like it's a bad thing, anon.
>>
>>51968901
i3 is for lolis
>>
>>51969013
for normie users it may be.
>>
>>51969013
It has its fans.
>>
File: 1448821596245.png (972 KB, 641x4513) Image search: [Google]
1448821596245.png
972 KB, 641x4513
>>51968837
anyone got more of these?
>>
>>51969008
>watched few vids
see >>51968980
>>
>>51969062
literally /g/
>>
>>51969106
whatever you say anon
>>
File: 1448821903425.png (913 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
1448821903425.png
913 KB, 1280x800
>>51969062
>>
File: 1304376955940.png (844 KB, 2300x2540) Image search: [Google]
1304376955940.png
844 KB, 2300x2540
>>51969062
Actually many catalyst users got their X broken because the updated Xorg-Server 1.18.0 was not supported.
>mfw manjaro blocked this update and stayed with 1.17
>mfw Archfags installing highly unstable package downgrading tools to fix their X
>mfw antergos kids have no idea what the fuck just happened
>>
File: IMG_0324.png (29 KB, 381x399) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0324.png
29 KB, 381x399
>>51969062
>>
File: 1447779338109.jpg (924 KB, 1660x1940) Image search: [Google]
1447779338109.jpg
924 KB, 1660x1940
>>51969062
>>
>>51969301
>>51969316
see >>51969266 for future reference KEK
>>
File: IMG_0159.jpg (128 KB, 492x611) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0159.jpg
128 KB, 492x611
>>51969062
>>
>>51969008

HAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>51969062
probably the best image ive ever seen on /g/
>>
>>51969408
please elaborate
>implying learning a few hotkeys is hard
>>
File: 1448962901040.jpg (12 KB, 258x245) Image search: [Google]
1448962901040.jpg
12 KB, 258x245
>>51969431
>learning a few hotkeys
>>
>>51969449
seen it from a fresh install anon you must be literally retarded
>>
File: 1448822223957.jpg (124 KB, 676x673) Image search: [Google]
1448822223957.jpg
124 KB, 676x673
>>51969062
not te same but kinda related
>>
Why did Arch get all those memes about 1337 hackers? It's not hard to install. There are even custom installers like Architect if you really don't wanna install it the regular way. Post-install it's very similar usage-wise and stability-wise to Debian.

Gentoo install is a lot trickier (and lengthier!) and I never finished it so I can't really comment on post-install ease of use.

You get newer packages, and the AUR makes things easier.
>>
File: 1448974229037.png (218 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1448974229037.png
218 KB, 800x600
>>51969062
>>
>>51965541
That's not true, I've never even seen ANYONE like that. What happened is kids with an inferiority complex like yourself assume that was why people installed Arch and then the memes started from there.
>>
>>51969505
I actually can relate.
>used to have a girlfriend. But later realized she was too immature.
>normies get hyped over simple things too easily
>tfw objectively more intelligent than any normies I see everyday
>98% score average with no female in my maths/CS/Phys classes
Why live?
>>
>>51969554
using a user repo because the default one is pretty much empty is not a plus
>>
>>51969555
Did you actually read the wiki before memeing the link, fucking moron?
>>
>>51969602
did you read the filename before assuming i made this picture?
>>
File: IMG_20151220_144619599.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151220_144619599.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
Can someone help me, I was using Debian with xfce and went to the settings area to mess around some stuff. I ended the open box process and the xfe4 whatever and now my screen shows me this
>>
>>51969702
Why did you do this? Have you tried rebooting yet?
>>
>>51969698
>I-It wasn't me
>>
>>51969757
yeah, because anyone is autistic enough to use unix time + checksum as a naming scheme for the pictures he makes.
>>
>>51969753
Thank for trying to help, I forgot I installed gdm.
>>
>>51963515
Hello, I'm the guy on created a thread because boot-repair almost destroyed my HD. I had no Internet for 3 days and I just want to say thank you to those who were willing to help.

My eOS install went to hell unfortunately. Gotta install it again. Maybe I'll try a new distro.
>>
>>51969585
>used to have a girlfriend. But later realized she was too immature.
Spotted the pedo
>>
>>51969449
yeah its really not that complicated but i dont like it. thing is with WM's not used by mainstream ive found. is that they will have weird behavior with some applications like fullscreen chrome stuff like that. thats why unless working in almost exclusively the terminal i wouldn't recommend i3 or any tiled WM to anyone
>>
>/g/ isn't tech support
I'm gonna ask for some tech support now though.

I got myself an expresscard to pci adapter, so I can use a dedicated graphics card on my T420.
The graphics card seems to be running, the AMD open source drivers installed fine, and in lspci the graphics card shows up as "VGA compatible controller: [the GPU model no.]"

However, when I plug in a DVI cable to the external GPU, it doesn't show up under the output of xrandr.
Obviously, what I want is to have my machine output video through the eGPU instead of the internal, as it currently is.

Any help is deeply appreciated, even >RTFM answers. I just don't know what to do at this point.
>>
How's Debian for an everyday use distro? Switching it up from my usual Xubuntu install.
>>
Is there an alternative to krunner that I can run on something else that kde?
There are other launchers but they can't switch to an open application or function as a calculator.
I really need the calculator.
>>
>>51969910
its ok. my favorite
>>
>>51969910
IMO it's great, i use it on everything. you need to decide if you want to use stable or testing though.
>>
>>51969874
She was 21, didn't have matured critical thinking skills.
>Get hyped for no real reason
>Shit taste in music
>Get mentally week very easily
>Shit taste in movies

>inb4 fedora
>>
>>51969950
she left you didn't she? it's okay, we don't judge here.
>>
>>51969950
Not liking what you like does not make one immature.
>>
>>51969901
maybe cause xrandr is using internal gfx card and showing its outputs

check here:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/56427/external-gpu-system-in-linux

first answer says somethin about setting the default device to somethin PCI
>>
>>51969950
sounds like all women lol
>>
>>51969981
thanks, I'll try it out
>>
>>51969948
Quick run down of advantages vs disadvantages? Going to use for browsing/programming as well as running a simple LAMP server. So uptime is important to me.
>>
>>51969910
go for Testing. stable has software compatibility issues.
>>
>>51969969
We talked this through. We both decided to stop seeing each other. Both of us were sad, but we were incompatible.
>>51969975
I do not wish to justify my statement but I'm pretty confident you'll agree with me.
>>51970003
No some women are both strong and intelligent.
>>
>>51970049
>stable has software compatibility issues.
what?
>>
File: scs.png (497 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
scs.png
497 KB, 1366x768
>>51970083
Steam for instance. It just won't install/run nicely on Jessie. I went for Testing and the OS juzt werks. After weeks of messing with commands the damn thing refuses to break. Using it right now.
>>
>>51970189
That's not in the official repos.
Well, that kind of software might benefit from newer packages.
>>
>>51970189
whats running so hot ~70 C?
>>
>>51970042
Stable is extremely stable and robust while testing has newer packages (about the same as ubuntu 15.10 while a little bit newer) and still stable enough. But if it needs to be rock solid stable with backports is the way to go.
>>
>>51970222
My ancient AMD CPU.

>inb4 housefire
>>
>>51968885
the real meme is that beginners have to use shit software to start with..

i3 is plenty easy to use, as is openbox
>>
>>51963515
>GNU plus Linux
Just Linux. We've gone over this before. Just stop.
>>
>>51969883
can always go into floating with i3 if there are issues
>>
>>51970299
>not using superior term: Lignux
>>
>>51969217
pacman can't fuck up configs.. just the other day I saw a message that it was making a new mirrorlist file ending in .pac instead of fucking with my existing one
>>
>>51969590
that's not why, though, it's for things that wouldn't have been there anyway
>>
>>51970299
GNU with Linux
>>
>>51970189
Steam is my favorite example of how the "stability" meme just leads to your computer not working as well or as easily

To be fair, though, Steam on GNU/Linux is extremely buggy.

My status is permanently set to online. It can't tell when I'm not there to set me to away. Can't close the main steam window with the x, it minimizes unless you hit alt-f4 or middle click it on your panel. (I think there's a fix for this on the arch wiki but I haven't gotten it to work yet)

and this isn't really valve's fault but the latest nvidia driver makes steam just crash every few seconds to minutes for seemingly no reason. I'm not even running any games. It just fucking crashes.
>>
>>51970299
There's no reason to say Linux instead of GNU/Linux unless you're talking about the kernel.

Don't bring politics into this. It's about being correct and not making people assume things. "Linux" is much too ambiguous, or really just incorrect when used to refer to things besides the kernel.

I do think GNU plus Linux as a name is meme-tier, but GNU/Linux is the official way to address it.
>>
So linux then
>>
can someone who has switched from Arch to Debian explain why they did? I've been thinking about it for a while
>>
>>51970299
>>51970436
I know you're new to /g/ but you're making yourself look pretty bad right now.
>>
>>51970450
linux it is then
>>
>>51970445
I did the other way around due to issues with stability and ancient packages.

I don't use KDE, but someone pointed out once that Debian Unstable didn't even have KDE 5 while Arch and Fedora both did. Made me realize that even Debian Unstable was pretty old. I also had a lot of breakage related to fonts and GTK themes after updates on Debian. Weird shit that no one in IRC could ever really help me figure out. Haven't had any issues on Arch so far.
>>
>>51970445

see >>51969316
>>
>>51969981
Hey dude. I just got it working.
Spent days on this, and it finally is functional.
Thanks!
>>
>>51970468
I replied to you to let you know you were misinformed. You can't really make me or anyone else here mad just by making inane posts like this.
>>
>>51970299
>>51970436
>>51970468
>>51970476
leave
>>
>>51970445
I switched a few years ago. It was when arch would completely alter it's file tree structure for libraries and such every few days. This would break the entire OS every time they did it. At one point I did a clean install of the newest image on the arch website and then updated after the install and it immediately broke. At that point I said fuck it.
>>
>>51970485
I know what you are implying and your reasons for it, I am not misinformed in the slightest, I just choose to call it linux though.
>>
>>51970513
Thank you for replying normally.

When you choose to refer to the OS as a whole as "Linux" you're just making yourself harder to understand..

Like I said, this isn't about politics.. It's not a Stallman versus Torvalds debate. I don't give a fuck about those guys. I just want to have clear conversations where people speak using regular terms and know what the other person is talking about without having to clarify or just assume things.
>>
>>51970543
How many times have to you encountered someone in these threads talking about linux and busybox or android? It's a given unless stated otherwise.
>>
>>51970508
What DE do you use with debian? Just curious
>>
>>51970564
This is the problem I'm talking about. You want me to assume things, and I don't, nor will I do that. I'm just confused, and I'll either continue being confused or have to ask what they're talking about.

Let's say I do assume I know what they're talking about, I could be wrong. It could all be prevented if people just spoke properly.
>>
>>51970445
To follow up with this, I want a distro that does that follow:

doesn't try to emulate windows/OSX
doesn't break randomly
just works for the most part
has large repo and up to date packages
respects my freedoms/no amazon spyware
allows me to get work done

Is debian the obvious choice? or is Arch better?
>>
i think i just fucked up my arch install again. what is the best live cd distro to edit some arch files and easily chroot into it? i heard about KNOPPIX but i don't know how that is. anyone got any kind of experience with it?
>>
>>51969062
DELETE THIS!!!
>>
>>51970632
You sound like you're on the spectrum.
>>51970673
porteus
>>
>>51970673
>Thinks he can into Arch
>Doesn't even know shit about Knoppix
>>
>>51970593
I use openbox and conky.
>>
>>51963566
If you want to remove it, its dependencies, its config files, and any orphans, it's pacman -Rscun
That's basically the undo button for pacman -S
>>
I just installed guake in Arch running xfce4. If I run it by typing guake it works until I close that terminal window. How do I get it to run without having the terminal window open?
>>
are they any tutorials on how to install debian 8 server with rtorrent and rutorrent on a home network? I've only ever installed desktop linux distros so far.
>>
>>51970664
>doesn't try to emulate windows/OSX
that's more dependent on the DE/WM
>doesn't break randomly
Debian has that problem worse than Arch...
>just works for the most part
ehh I mean I'd say breakage aside it's as useable as Arch, probably more so out of the box since lots of services run on startup without configuration like ssh and all that, although you still have to install sudo
>large repo and up to date packages
medium-sized repo I'd say.. not at all up to date packages even on unstable
>respects my freedoms/no amazon spyware
yes! Debian respects your freedom a ton
>allows me to get work done
sure.. but the breakage really is a serious issue in my experience

what throws me off is that you're on arch, where you shouldn't be having problems with these things..
>>
>>51970962
why would it be any different?
>>
>>51970832
run it from a non-terminal (e.g. launcher such as dmenu, gmrun, etc.) or put an ampersand after the command to make it a background process and then you can safely close the terminal

however it sounds like you just need to run it once and then it stays going, so I'd add it to your autostart file
>>
>>51971036
i am not confident with adding users, installing sudo, configuring network etc on debian server to make sure the server I create is safe and good
>>
>>51970962
debian doesn't have server versions, just stable/testing/unstable
>>
>>51971052
use the adduser command, it's simpler than useradd. it asks you lots of info that you fill in instead of requiring flags for each thing

>installing sudo
switch to root with the su command and then just apt-get install sudo

configuration isn't too hard:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sudo#Configuration
>network
should be auto configured if you're just plugging into ethernet..

otherwise your options are editing /etc/networking/interfaces (pretty simple and well-documented) or using a network manager to automatically handle networking, such as NetworkManager

comes with an ncurses interface in case you're doing everything over ssh also, just run 'nmtui'
>>
>>51971112
thanks anon
will try this week
there is a really good guide here:
https://jes.sc/kb/rTorrent+ruTorrent-Seedbox-Guide.php
but it isn't updated for Debian 8 (systemd)
>>
>>51971052
Learn then, it's not difficult and nothing really more than you would do installing any minimal or server distro.
>>
hi /g/, please help I did something really stupid.
Just installed mint 17.3 which comes with Python 2.7something.
An application I tried to use showed the "SNIMissingWarning" from urllib3 and advised to visit https://urllib3.readthedocs.org/en/latest/security.html#snimissingwarning for more info.
There I read "If you encounter this warning, it is strongly recommended that you upgrade to a newer Python version, or that bla bla...".
So like a happy little faggot i decided to upgrade python to 3.5.1. Downloaded sources, extracted, ran
./configure
make
make install
and all seemed to go well. But it didn't, now there are conflicts and some python apps won't even start. Later I read in the README of python about installations of multiple versions and how I should have ran "make altinstall" instead.
How fucked am I and is there anything I can do to salvage the situation (by uninstalling python 3 preferably)?
>>
>>51971255

rm -rf /usr/bin/python; ln -s /usr/bin/python2 /usr/bin/python
>>
>>51971255
>Downloaded sources, extracted, ran
>./configure
>make
>make install
Don't do this, especially not with something as important as python.
>>
File: 1440029979550.jpg (48 KB, 462x462) Image search: [Google]
1440029979550.jpg
48 KB, 462x462
sqt isnt giving answers and MPD is a pretty useful thing for linux so I ask here

if I run an MPD server, how would I access it over LAN?
>>
>>51971299
Won't that delete python altogether? stuff like cinnamon will stop working

>>51971331
Yes I learned that about 15mins after i pressed enter on the
>sudo make install

I guess we learn from our mistakes. Maybe I'll reinstall the OS, not much work desu, I spent more time to figure how to solve my fuckup.
>>
>>51971030
I've just heard that Debian is a just-works distro that is good for getting work done. Is that not true? or is Arch even moreso?
>>
>>51971404
It should have installed to /usr/local/ somewhere so you can safely remove everything inside there.
You can compile stuff but it should be an exception and certainly not for things as central as this.
>>
>>51971404

no, it will just replace /usr/bin/python with python 2, if you do ls -la /usr/bin/python, its sym linked. in python, files begin with #!/usr/bin/python so whatever its linked to will execute that python version, i believe this is your problem, not all python2 programs are compatible with python3.
>>
>>51969316
Oh come now seriously that's a little much. Arch is NOT for everyone, and some people DO use it just so they can brag about it, but not everyone. Plenty of people use Arch because they want a minimal system (that's not gentoo) or because they like pacman or because they want extreme configuration (again that's not gentoo) or because the AUR is godlike or whatever it may be. Also Arch really does NOT break that often unless you're trying to break it
If you don't want to use Arch, don't, any reasonable user won't blame you, but there ARE legitimate reasons for using it
>>
>>51971478
>>51971481
Thanks for the feedback. I'll try it tomorrow and if it goes to shit I 'll just reinstall.
>>
>>51971429
Normally Debian is a just works distro, but there's an exception: apt hell
Apt has a nasty tendency to break itself, or sometimes the whole operating system every so often.
The problem gets especially worse when you mix stable/testing/unstable packages/repos, since then apt fucks up the dependencies a lot.
Also upgrading Debian releases tends to break the OS just about every time for a lot of people.
>>
I installed KDE on debian, however for whatever reason Kwin, kde's window manager, does not want to start when i login. Does anybody know what i can do?

>>51971679
This senpai
I had to reinstall Debian due to some weird apt problem
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.