[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Consindering changing from win8.1 to linux because of reasons,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2
File: Protools9screen.png (288 KB, 1413x1045) Image search: [Google]
Protools9screen.png
288 KB, 1413x1045
Consindering changing from win8.1 to linux because of reasons, the only thing holding me back is that there's seems to be no daws for linux (adacity doesn't cut it).

Or is there any serious daws you could recommend?
>>
Bitwig, but it's pretty shitty.
>>
>>45509752
there are guides for fl studio, but nothing offical
>>
no matter what you're doing

making music in linux IS PURE FUCKING PAIN.

if you don't want to go insane, don't fucking do it.

if you want to tinker around with some notes here and there and editing audio, it's okay.

if you want to work with midi instruments, low latency audio interfaces or even work with VSTs, you'll spend more time getting shit to run than actually being creative.

linux is a beautiful thing but people involved in working on linux are too fucking smug to admit it's HORRIBLE for musicians so far and won't do anything to make make it better in that aspect.
>>
>>45509816
The possibilities in Linux to create amateurish music creations are sufficient and Linux enthusiasts usually completely lack the talent in music creation, so they're fine with what Linux provides to create minimalistic little songs.
They don't feel anything missing and therefore nothing changes.
>>
>>45509816
They're to smug to admit a lot of software is shit and bad for professionals honestly....
>>
>>45509816
Well, as much as I love linux, I have to agree that the sound system along with ALSA is pure pain. I don't know why that is, it just is.
You should have sufficient knowledge of ALSA when working with audio in linux.

Anyways, I like lmms, you shouldn't get all the ALSA problems with it. Custom synths from the reps will fuck up ALSA.
>>
>>45509752
bitwig
>its not professional tier
because you need professional tier to make your shitty soundcloud dubstep...
>>
>>45509752
Bitwig studio runs natively (and is hilariously easy to crack).
There's a few trackers too that run natively, if you like trackers.
FL Studio runs really well in WINE and I believe Ableton works in WINE too.
Ardour and stuff work fine if you record stuff, less so if you do midi editing and whatnot.
>>
>>45509965
>>45509974
Oh, okay, cool!
Can you give me a github link?
>>
>>45509752
Make you shitty frootyloops on wangblows.

It is not something that Linux is good at.
>>
>>45509987
github is not free software. It doesn't have a github.
Just torrent it somewhere and crack it, there's probably instructions in the torrent.
>>
>>45509946

it's not so much the sound system itself as much as the lack of dev and distributor interest. there are very few decent audio applications and there is hardly any distro that has a sane, unified GUI to configure the sound system. the technical possibilities with JACK+ALSA are amazing, it's just that no one gives a shit to put it into a polished package. apart from kxstudio, all media production distros i've come across are a usability nightmare.
>>
the world needs (I need) a FLOSS crossplatform daw
>>
File: ardour-2.5.png (774 KB, 3840x1440) Image search: [Google]
ardour-2.5.png
774 KB, 3840x1440
What's the current state of Ardour?
>>
>>45509862
I'm actually a pretty good composer. Or at least my teachers say I have talent.

By the way, your way of thinking is stupid. Like the people who think you have to use a mac to be creative.
>>
this >>45509816
dual boot windows
>>
>>45510747
>By the way, your way of thinking is stupid. Like the people who think you have to use a mac to be creative.

He is saying that there is no push for professional development of music production software on linux, that the scene is amateurish and so they content with less quality tools, it lacks a ''market'' for real daws.

this is what i do >>45510783; save the windows for music and use lunix for the rest. If you want download a simple synth or anything like that for sketches, but that's it.
>>
Ardour.
Bitwig.
LMMS.
Ableton Live works perfectly in Wine.

>>45509816
> low latency audio interfaces

Easy. Low latency kernel and JACK, or even pulseaudio with the correct settings, is going to providelower latency than Windows out of the box.
>>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_audio_software

Fuck people telling you to install Windows.
>>
Linux is good for experimental music (using puredata, Supercollider, chucK, Cmusic, Processing etc.), but not so much if you want to use DAWs. You have a bunch of free ones (mostly shit), Renoise, Bitwig and if you're lucky, some other ones on wine (I've had no luck with running Ableton for example). Also Audacity is pretty good for sound editing.
>>
>>45511581
Ardour.
>>
Linux is for servers, embedded systems, development and other environments. It's not remotely feasible for desktop use because there's not enough money to support development of every niche productivity usage.
The people suggesting it'll be easy are knowingly lying and failing to mention the non-trivial amount of problems you'll encounter with absolutely no support provided beyond 'you get what you pay for'. I say this as a guy who makes $100k developing systems on top of Linux exclusively.
>>
>>45511593
>ardour
>>
One way of thinking about it is audio creation has not yet been commercialized on Linux.
>>
>>45509878
I honestly can't think of too many professionals who can actually make use of Linux and aren't in some form of STEM industry (and even a lot of quality engineering software is quite lacking).
Just about every migration to Linux by some naive company, township or country in the EU tends to backfire horribly.

It's a problem that won't ever be solved until there's enough demand and enough money/talent/marketing backing that demand. The current market direction is toward SaaS so it's not likely to happen any time soon.
>>
>>45509752
lmms
https://lmms.io/
>>
I use LMMS in windows, it isn't absolute shit.
>>
>>45511598
>It's not remotely feasible for desktop use

It's objectively far superior to Windows or OSX for desktop/workstation use though. This is already false.

Literally the only thing Linux does worse than Windows is running Windows software.

>because there's not enough money to support development of every niche productivity usage.

There actually is, most of the money goes into core compenents like the kernel itself. IBM for example gave 1 billion dollars, but their is people like Redhat who put quite a fuck load of money into the desktop/workstation.

>The people suggesting it'll be easy are knowingly lying and failing to mention the non-trivial amount of problems you'll encounter

Sounds like someone doesn't know what they're doing. I have absolutely no problem with my setup now, if I used Windows or OSX? Yeah I would.

>>45511689
>Just about every migration to Linux by some naive company, township or country in the EU tends to backfire horribly.

A lot of these people seem to be doing good: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_adopters

>The current market direction is toward SaaS so it's not likely to happen any time soon.

Well unfortunately that's actually more likely to make it happen, because people may want to use Linux to create thin clients for their services. Google does pretty much this with ChromeOS.

Stop with the FUD.
>>
Just leaving this here
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb04/articles/mirrorimage.htm
>>
>>45510739
>Ardour
trying out now, looks beautiful
>>
>>45511767
>>This thing sucks
>But it clearly doesn't suck, because kernel development, and M$
Every Stallmanite apologist post ever.

Here's a guy wanting a specific use-case, and the support for it is lacking, and rather than admit to this let's just talk about how much money IBM is pouring into the kernel to improve cloud performance.
>>
>>45509752
Don't do it, man.
I am a composer and work as a producer a lot (on OSX).
I'm also a geek (former software engineer) and like to tinker around Linux. I use my linux laptop for PureData noodling and shit like that. I've tried every possible way to work with audio in Linux at a professional level for at least a decade and it is just not good enough.
>>
>>45511525
have you tried any? i have, they are all shit
>>
Presumably there's a reason why every professional designer, graphic artist, audio producer or other content creator uses a Macbook.
I have no idea what it is but they can't _all_ be wrong. And besides, almost none of their software works in Linux and the alternatives are poor imitators lacking basic functionality or stability.
>>
>>45512937
They all use Mac because then they can be sure their files are compatible with the other guys. Music creation is mostly team work and your sound engineer doesn't want to waste time dealing with driver issues. He wants to produce music. It's not just a preference thing.
>>
>>45512999
Not so coincidentally, this is also why every dumbass debate on /g/ about coding style, development methodology, IDE, and workstation desktop environment is pointless. You use whatever everyone else is using on your team, and if you lead a team, you tend to use whatever every other team is using in your org.
>>
>>45513121
Truer words could not be spoken.
>>
Bitwig runs great on Linux, better than any Windows DAW. Only problem is no VSTs.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.