[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MIPS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: mipssucks - Copy.png (33 KB, 660x520) Image search: [Google]
mipssucks - Copy.png
33 KB, 660x520
MIPS makes me want to kill myself.

>I wish I wasn't such a shit student

Any /g/entooman who were shitty college students want to share how life turned out for you?
>>
I work on a service desk doing 1st line support which the vast majority of the time is just AD password resets or email password resets, talking people through how to discharge a motherboard or how to remove a paper jam or do a drum reset on brother HL series monochrome laserjet printers.

It feels like I have absolutely no where to go, I'd have to stick with this same company for years to get onto the 2nd line team and the pay is so bad that I cannot afford to go get my CCNA/ITIL/Security + certs to try speed things up.

The only challenge comes from trying to get all the phone calls answered before they breach SLA at 1 minute or 2 minutes. Any interesting calls or problems I have to log because you're never given enough time to really get stuck into something. If you know it's a big problem you get as many details as possible and just log it for someone on second line or tech services to deal with. It's a vicious cycle where we are kept too busy with mundane shit to ever learn anything advanced. I come home from work exhausted but try force myself to study but without the money to pay for certificate courses I feel trapped.

Please OP if I could go back and put the effort in again to even be a code monkey I would do it in a heart beat.
>>
>>51910504
Why do they make you learn things that will have zero value in your life?
>>
>>51910584
Computer Architecture is apparently a part of every other aspect of programming, and is something you need to keep in mind to be a good programmer.
>>
>>51910565
Damn son, did you flunk out, or not go in the first place?
>>
>>51910609
I scraped by and managed to get my CS degree but it's not a great one, had to go to a low end community college because I didn't get the grades coming out of secondary school. Mainly because I was obsessed with being neet/playing MMOs. I've started quite a few rungs down the ladder because of all of that
>>
>>51910653
fuk, I'm heading down the same path, and I'm already a Junior
>>
File: 1417554779876.jpg (106 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
1417554779876.jpg
106 KB, 720x540
>>51910653
Shit, same here bro
>>
>>51910504
I thoughts MIPS was pretty good tbqh, Computer Architecture was the only module I really enjoyed during my course.
>>
>>51910703
Huh, so far I've only enjoyed Database
>>
>>51910707
Nah couldn't stand databases, that was fucking boring.

To be honest though I've basically gotten the minimum marks to pass my degree so far with only one semester left. So going to start coding projects now. So many job listings I've seen say that a degree isn't essential if you've got a portfolio/experience.

Feel like uni was a waste of time and money now because I could have been making stuff rather than losing sleep over exams.
>>
File: fedora9.jpg (55 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
fedora9.jpg
55 KB, 640x480
>camel case
>>
>>51910728
My uncles in the industry said that GPA only mattered for the first job, and then ever other job basically relies on your performance at previous tech jobs.

The big thing is I'm on college on mummy's money, and here i am being a stupid faggot who fails their classes.
>>
I'm gonna be here for five years because I keep failing classes
>>
>>51910772
Yeah it sucks, If it didn't cost me £8,000 a year I would have dropped out ages ago. But once you're already £16,000 in debt you basically have to finish it.
>>
>>51910565
Have you ever considered learning a trade? In the US at least employers are desperate for plumbers, electricians, welders, and machinsts. They are willing to hire nearly anyone off the street and train them. The situation is only going to get worse too as more babyboomers retire or die. It's good opportunity for young people, but unfortunately too many of them would rather work at McDonalds hoping to make shift leader someday, because they've been raised to believe that manual labor is beneath them.
>>
It's fucking like math, and I hate math.

They teach you the basics parts, and then make you put them together in specific ways to solve complex problems.

Problem is, I'm too lazy or fucked up to put in the time. I realized I'm that stupid faggot in school who you laugh at because they don't do the minimal amount of effort required to do projects and homework. What the fuck is wrong with me. I don't care if it wastes my money, I don't do the work. I honest to god know my shit is important to learn, but why the fuck can't I bring myself to do it?
>>
>>51910565
>AD password resets or email password resets,

shit tier organisation detected, they should be the same
>>
>>51910772
>GPA only mattered for the first job
That's what I figured, but I'm glad to hear that if I can get one shitty job with my barely-standing 3.06 I'll be fine.
>>
>>51910884
Shit son, 3.0 is what people desire.
>>
>>51910884
Start developing shit now, because when they're like
>Why u grades so low?
You can admit you weren't great with exams, but you're much better at practical work as you can see with XYZ I've coded.

I've come to realise that I was disillusioned with CS because I was expecting to come out of it with the ability to say write my own Kernel or just being able to code whatever I dreamt up with a moment's thought. But really it's like doing a Music degree, you don't walk of it with top scores and get handed a platinum album or asked to conduct the soundtrack to the next Star Wars. The degree is irrelevant when you're doing stuff that gets you noted and that just comes with practice than it does in exams.
>>
>>51910824
No, I do enjoy working in IT, specifically network administration and security is where I would like to end up. I have started two apprentices before, one in sheet metal fabrication and another in general mechanics when I was younger but they were in Ireland and there are too many people for every job going over there and trades were completely saturated at the time.

>>51910872
True but the email servers are part of a nationwide service, the domain controllers are located in each site and manage tiny networks in comparison.
>>
MIPS is so easy compared to other types of ASM.
>>
>>51910969
>True but the email servers are part of a nationwide service, the domain controllers are located in each site and manage tiny networks in comparison.
>not having a nationwide network with site to site VPNs
>not having local RODCs
>not having centralised IAM with FIM

no excuses, it's 2015.
>>
>>51910969
You won't get anywhere in networking without a cert in red hat Linux..
>>
>>51910504
x86 is worse
>>
>>51910504
>MIPS
>difficult
When you start to study x86, you'll want to destroy the universe.
>>
>>51910504
>I cannot handle of the most easily readable and programmable assembly languages on this planet
Just drop out. Don't just consider it, just do it. You're going to hate your life if you continue in this field
>>
>>51911075
>>51911069
I dream about when I had MIPS assembly classes instead of x80 shit
>>
>>51910504
don't be a bitch and keep studying

it all works out if you do. my gpa was just sub 3.0 and my first job is 69k
>>
>>51910584
>somebody wrote this.
>>
>>51911019
Thanks blood I'll bear that in mind
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.