[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/lg/ - Laptop General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: laptops.jpg (136 KB, 960x480) Image search: [Google]
laptops.jpg
136 KB, 960x480
Right, that's it.

I want a laptop thread that isn't just about used ThinkPads.

What are the best laptops? Dell XPS 13? Retina MacBook Pro?

There are enough people (including me) asking what are good laptops, so why don't we share that information? For most people, a used ThinkPad is just not an option. So what are the best laptops you can buy right now?
>>
>>51903831
I'd recommend a thinkpad anon
>>
File: l_10135223_001.jpg (180 KB, 600x532) Image search: [Google]
l_10135223_001.jpg
180 KB, 600x532
>>51903831

OP here and the Dell XPS 13 looks like a great laptop but it's pretty expensive, and 13" is quite small. The 15" is even more expensive.

What are good, solid laptops that are around 14" - 15" and aren't too expensive? Is pic related a good laptop?

>ASUS X555LA 15.6"
>1080p display
>Intel Core i5-5200U (2.2GHz)
>8GB RAM
>1TB HDD
>£379 (€522 / $568)

I mean that's a pretty good deal right?
>>
thinkpads.

ok, Fujitsus are not bad at all, HP business line are decent, but by experience ASUS are terrible. Compaq is no more, and Nintendo does not makes computers.
>>
>/g/ - Generals
>/g/ - Generals
>/g/ - Generals
>/g/ - Generals
>/g/ - Generals
>/g/ - Generals
>>
why does that look like vapour?
>>
>>51903941
>I mean that's a pretty good deal right?

If you have to make your own thread just to ask, then any laptop will suit you. Yes it's a good deal. No it's not. Buy whatever you want because you don't know enough to know the difference, and don't care to learn.
>>
>ever buying consumer laptops
reminder that if your the keyboard does not have a backspace key is a consumer piece of shit
>>
>is just not an option
Except it is? sub $80 C2D complete laptop easily capable of almost everything that isn't games or rendering. Unless you mean, you are scared of using ebay.
>>
File: generals.jpg (203 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
generals.jpg
203 KB, 1920x1080
>>51903972
You will not out-general my General, General.
>>
>>51903831
hijacking this thread. im actually looking into buying a laptop to throw linux on. any general recommendations?
i only buy new
>>
XPS 15?
>>
>>51907258
Chromebook pixel or XPS 15. Don't get any touchscreen shit.
>>
>>51903831
Well I already posted another thread, but about to bite the bullet on this machine:

> IPS Matte Display with G-SYNC (1920 x 1080)
- Nvidia GTX 970M 3GB GDDR5
- 6th Gen Intel i7-6700
- 16GBDDR4 RAM
- 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
- 1TB 7200rpm HD

Seems aight
>>
>>51907628
where?
>>
>>51907655
I posted the Sager thread. Seems like the most bang for your buck with the most customizable machines. This in-particular is the 8657-S. Most Sagers have expandable memory up to 64gb which seems stupid for laptops, but whatevs I prepare for the future.
>>
>>51903831
>ITT: consumer garbage

Enjoy your MUH THINNESS 'aesthetic' and planned obsolescence
>>
>>51907708
This 100%
Business class laptops are the only way to go. HP Elitebook masterrace
>>
>>51903831
>I want a laptop thread that isn't just about used ThinkPads.
go away
>>
i've got a 13" rMBA. it's better than any other laptop i've owned. nice screen, nice keyboard, great touchpad, and it feels nice in general. i miss the trackpoint a bit, but i don't miss anything else.
whatever you buy, check the hinges. i've had and seen more fucked up hinges over the years than any other problem, but no one seems to talk about it. the only companies who seem to do hinges right are apple and lenovo. some of the other business class models might be good as well, but i haven't bothered looking.
>>
I'm pretty sure this is a bad idea. Talk me out of it.
>>
Lenova g50

Everything in it is cheaply upgradable (and easy)

Except the graphics card of course.
>>
Well if we're going to have a laptop general then I've got a question

What is the absolute smallest laptop on the market, with usable specs for the modern web and general computing? I've got a Dell chromebook 11, which, with crouton, is a great little computer, but I've found myself wishing it was even smaller. My dream system would have an iPad sized screen (so 10.1 inch, 4:3 aspect) with a decent keyboard, x86 processor, no trackpad, and no bezel. Does anything remotely comparable exist?
>>
>>51908780
Why not get a decent 2-in-1 if size is your issue?
>>
>>51908730
Intel Atom? Are you kidding me? There's newer generations with Celeron and Pentium N. It's still an Atom, but it has more power for both CPU and GPU, its TDP is as little as 8W. Also,
> DDR2
>>
>>51908730
hahahahahah
>>
>>51908730
You can get a chromebook with better everything for the same price?
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.