[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 20
File: ss.png (312 KB, 659x161) Image search: [Google]
ss.png
312 KB, 659x161
Previous Thread: >>51872005

Intended for users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are three ways to try Linux, you can:

1) Install a Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
2) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full Linux experience".
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with Linux (not recommended)

If you are serious about switching to Linux and if you have Windows dual-booted (recommended for pure newbies),
we recommend you use it exclusively for 2 weeks, and avoid Windows dual booting for that period of time, or it's
likely you will start retreating back to windows instead of getting used to GNU/Linux as your new home and working on
making it feel the way you want it.

>Recommended for beginners:
-Ubuntu MATE
-Debian (For Broadcom devices, use an ISO that includes non-free firmware)
-openSUSE
-LinuxMint (a.k.a Ubuntu LTS + Cinnamon)

Before asking, please find the answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe wine can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
your friendly neighborhood search engine
https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/learn-the-command-line
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/
>>
What is Linux (or GNU/Linux for Stallmanists)?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux

Babby's First Linux (What distro to choose?)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

What software does /g/ recommend? (Please DON'T include the so called infographic -- refer all your recommended software here.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software

Ricing on Linux (Make it good and functional or make it worse like those at desktop threads)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing

A script designed to ease the transition from Windows to Debian
https://github.com/Chocolate-Chip-Computing/DebianNewbieScript

We now have an entry in the install Gentoo wiki!
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php//flt/

IRC No one uses:
irc://irc.freenode.org:+7000/FriendlyLinux
>>
File: iw.png (31 KB, 642x378) Image search: [Google]
iw.png
31 KB, 642x378
I am getting this error when launching Iceweasel. What do?
Bunsenlabs (Debian 8.2) here.
>>
>>51878520
which version of iceweasel? 44.0a2 works fine on debian.
>>
>>51878548
>>
>>51878612
maybe try updating to beta or alpha versions and see if it works. firefox release cycle is weird.
>>
>>51878634
Can't. I am on Debian Stable and that is the latest one.
>>
Chrome OS question:

How much freedom do I have in developer mode with chromos in terminal?

Is it still worth trying to partition my own 8gb Linux (probably Lubuntu) install?

Essentially I want to be able to install window managers, Java, Eclipse, Libre Office, VLC.

Chromebook arrived yesterday, trying to get my ducks in a row for messing with it tonight.
>>
>>51878647
http://mozilla.debian.net/
i don't have problems with aurora, either try aurora or beta if you need stability.
>>
>shred --verbose --random-source=/dev/urandom -n1 /dev/sda
Could someone give me a stimated of how much time does it would take to finish that command in a hard drive of 320 GB?
>>
>>51878520
You have a tty that is larger then the stream you are allowing. You are ether using a console tunnel that has a set size limit or a up stream that is slower then the allowed bits on the tty and vtty window.

Most case is a bug but user configuration is the best choice.
>>
Anyone have experience using grub on a drive partitioned with GPT, on a UEFI system?
>>
>>51878817
In case you do not understand, it is bash and your browser's interaction. You are using bash as the console to your browser. This is being limited.

As I suggested, user configuration is usually the limitation but a bug is possible.
>>
>>51878822
Yep. I think tones have. Google will tell you millions have experienced grub on partitioned gtps.

I have even used it on a raid gtp. Works fine
>>
>>51878858
Sorry. meant gpt. I am super tied.
>>
>>51878858
I tried doing shit i read on google, I did the 512mb ESP partition. but grub failed. :(
>>
>>51878890
you need at least 200mb. root, boot, and home.

mount boot, install bootloader.

If you winstall it onto the grub partition (200mb) you will load from the wrong partition.

For GUI installs. just select auto configure.
If you must

>boot xfs 512mb (format) unless multi booting

>home ext4 "1000milion gig"
>/ ext4 "same"
>>
>>51878696
Thanks man. I'll give it a shot.

>>51878842
How do I remove that limit?
>>
>>51878768
A helluva lot, you'd better use dd and haveged.
>>
>>51878946
Sorry mate. I forgot the main configuration file for "firefox" copies. I simply modified the bash shells text limits. I allow it to spam 1 more character per line and it fixed the console limits.
>>
>>51878973
But before touching files search for any known bugs.
>>
>>51878926
hmm i guess i need to learn a bit more about mounting.

I think i did something like mount /dev/sdd2 /mnt (this is the big partition not the ESP)

Then i tried mount /dev/sdd1 /root (this is the ESP partition)

Honestly im not really sure how to mount things the first install i did on the laptop I had a traditional bios and the old dos way of partitioning like MPB or something

Thanks for the info tho, it helps. I want to leave windows for good!
>>
>>51879000
Ok what distro? arch?
>>
>>51878926
>xfs 512mb
are you dumb?
>>
>>51879049
yeah
>>
>>51879000
>hmm i guess i need to learn a bit more about mounting.

The only issue with mounting is knowing you are mounting the correct drive.

#sudo/su
#mkdir new
# mount /dev/sda1 new
#mount -t -L "shit" /dev/sda (I labeled mine for systemd or init purposes.
>>
I have been trying to create a VM with mutiple images but all I get is the picture related images.
I am using KVM. Has anyone here experienced the same?
>>
>>51879070
Why, you do know how partition tables work when booted.

xfs and EFS and vtfs can all be booted and managed by bootloaders. Grub supports 43 different formats. The avaerage BIOS supports 12 excluding some ntfs features.
>>
>>51879114
systemd and grub I am unsure of tho. I heard it mounts as a sym link for systemd
>>
>>51879114
My bios is compatible with 21 different formats for booting. I made sure it wasn't a useless gaming only system. I guess people on /g/ with no jobs would not understand the true application of partition management in any server environments.

Yes children. Linux is a server kernel that is placed onto ether command line utils or a shitty gui and called a shitty named dsitro.
>>
>>51879183
>Yes children. Linux is a server kernel that is placed onto ether command line utils or a shitty gui and called a shitty named dsitro.

Come on mate. We are friends here. We all have a common relation. We use linux is some part of our lives.
Just chill
>>
>>51879093
Install virt-manager
Or use virtual box.

Virtualbox can be used to interact with kvm and thus be used as a interaction between machines and kvm.

Do you have a supported cd?
Make sure it automounts before boot
>>
>>51879237
Almost forgot. Make sure your user has permission and is added to the correct group
>>
>>51879093
copy disk to system and just load as an ISO
>>
>>51879237
>>51879251
I followed the installation steps of this link
http://www.howtogeek.com/117635/how-to-install-kvm-and-create-virtual-machines-on-ubuntu/
I am using virt-manager already.

>>51879274
I have done it, I am using ISOs but it isn't working.
>>
>>51879093
try to set the boot order at startup
-boot order=d
>>
>>51879092
so i just need to mount /boot to the small partition
and mount /mnt to the large partition?
how do i link the small partition to the large one?
>>
Why does fold break on non-ASCII characters and what can I do about it?
>>
>>51879353
I already did that. Here's my boot order.
>>
File: 1384659037445.jpg (19 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1384659037445.jpg
19 KB, 500x400
I am getting terrible horizontal screen tearing in Fedora 23. It's probably because of X11. Does Fedora 23 come with Wayland? Would that fix the tearing? If it doesn't, how do I install it?
>>
>>51879546
Intel?
>>
>>51879546
which DE?
for xfce/lxde install compton and run compton --backend glx --paint-on-overlay --vsync opengl-swc
on startup.
>>
Why do you have to load shit with modprobe before you can unblock it with rfkill? Thats so fucking dumb...
>>
>>51879572
Yeah, Intel Skylake

>>51879582
Gnome.

I found at the login screen I can select Gnome on Wayland. I will try it to see if it helps tearing.
>>
>>51879667
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_graphics#Tear-free_video
>>
>>51879740
Thanks. So far Wayland seems to be helping.

I did try Wayland in Fedora 22 and it was a horrible experience. So if it is buggy still I will check out the driver options with X11.
>>
Is there a way to know how big a tarball will be before I actually execute it? Also is it 100% safe? I'm looking to back up my music library that's like 113GB and if something went corrupt I would literally kill myself.
>>
>>51879966
>Also is it 100% safe?
Nothing is 100% safe
>>
>>51879966
>My life depends on this data
>I don't have a backup
>>
>>51880010
Did you completely miss the part (aka the entire post) where I'm looking to backup this data?
>>
>>51879996
Well, is it reasonably safe? Is there some utlity, option, flag specially geared towards encoded audio files? I'm not very knowledgeable about this stuff, but an audio file is far more likely to be corrupted than a plain text file, is it not?
>>
>>51879966
Just fucking dd
>>
>>51880082
is dd safer?
>>
>>51880022
Finally after all those years? How did you collect 113 GB of data your life depends on without ever doing any backups?
And you worry about possible data corruption from doing the backup?
How can you even sleep all these years without worrying about a dying harddrive?

>>51880091
No. It's still safer than not having a backup though. Same for a tarball.
If you're paranoid, check every single file you backed up.
>>
>>51879476
can you try to select the medium inside the vm?
activate the boot menu and select it then
>>
>>51880022
back it up into google play music, it's the safest option and you can upload up to 50,000 songs for free

also lets you steam from your phone if you want
>>
>>51880200
>>>/loo/
>>
>>51879966
A tarball of 113GB of files will be approximately 113GB

A compressed tarball of 113GB of music file will be approximately 108GB

>is it 100% safe?
If you aren't doing it blatantly incorrectly, of course it is. It's not like tar rolls some dice to decide if it actually creates a tarball or deletes all your data instead.
>>
>>51880208
ok whatever deal with your corrupted 113gb .tar

personally id rather not have to deal with physical backups of something like music across multiple devices
>>
>>51878482
how's NVMe (PCIe) support? does installing to and booting from these work?
what about driver support for maxwell (including proprietary drivers)?
does SLI work at all?
>>
>>51880200
this is probably a huge troll, but it's not a good idea if you have high bitrate stuff

also >>51880216 is absolutely right. you can also use isos + DVDs if you're extremely paranoid
>>
>>51880169
Will try.
>>
>>51880227
>not owning a backup server
>>
>>51880245
>huge troll
how? unless youre a fucking music producer and you absolutely need the highest bitrate for your music it's senseless to waste so much space on FLAC and keeping physical backups of it

>>51880260
its about ease of use, of course a private server would be better
>>
What exactly gets stored in the /home directory? I know that all of a user's personal documents are located there, but what else? Are programs installed there too?
>>
What are the best open-source web development tools for Linux? I'm interested in learning HTML5, CSS3 and PHP. I suppose Dreamweaver is the go-to if I'm on Windows? Still, I think I can get a better work flow on Linux.
>>
>>51880281
>but what else?
Nothing else.
>Are programs installed there too?
No
>>
>>51880169
Picture related.
Still don't work.
>>
>>51880270
a home server is more convenient once set up.
>>
>>51880332
>once set up
and theres the issue

not to mention it also requires hardware and electricity to keep running in addition to your other devices
>>
>>51880281
mostly .config files

i know steam defaults that location to install video games
>>
>>51878647
can't you add a testing or sid repo to your sources.list?
>>
>>51880281
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard

So yeah. Everything that you'd reasonably expect to change between users is in /home. Other things are someplace else.
>>
File: pepe face of shitposting.jpg (30 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
pepe face of shitposting.jpg
30 KB, 499x499
bash -c "echo $SHLVL; $BASH_COMMAND"
>>
speaking of shitposting,

how and why would I use bash if I'm a just a casual? I see it mentioned a lot as super useful, but I've yet to look deeply into it.
>>
>>51878482
>1) Install a Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
what about qemu? I've read about it in another thread a while ago. is qemu as good as virtualbox?
>>
i want to write a function for dzen wich just prints my ip addr when i have one
but this function
ip=$(ip addr | grep "inet" | cut -c -26)
echo -n $ip

just burns my cpu away and my computer crashes. some advice?
>>
>>51880701
bash is the default, m8.

>>51880740
QEMU is a VM.
>>
>>51880701
when people say use bash they are probably implying writing a bash script

really you dont have to but if you have some tedious thing you need to do in the terminal you can write a simple bash script to do it for example
>>
any easy way i can get mpd to display song info in xfce panel?
>>
>>51880844
>QEMU is a VM
thanks for your hard work anon
I will always be thinking of the day you've helped me figure this out. god speed, anon.
>>
>>51880934
What the fuck did you expect?
>>
>>51880929
get a good panel like dzen2 and pipe
>mpc current
into dzen when opening it
>>
>>51880977
no thats not an answer

xfce panel is perfectly fine for my purposes I just have no clue how to write a plugin
>>
>>51881006
nevermind there's a plugin called genmon that lets me just pipe any command into the panel
>>
>>51880972
an attempt to answer my question and not repeating what was obvious in my own post?
>>
Using a 980 with ubuntu/gnome 15.10.
Graphics driver - 353.63
Using triple monitor setup
Left - Dell e177fp Centre - Dell P2415q Right - Dell 1907FP

Everything is gravy except playing full screen videos youtube/mpv where it has a only what I can describe as a ripple that starts and the bottom and slowly ascends to the top and then repeats, after a while googling and manually changing the refresh rate in monitors.xml nothing has fixed it, any ideas?
>>
hi /flt/!

I'm giving a try with Arch on my old laptop. Is there anything that you recommend me to install after I'm finished with the installation?
>>
>>51881519
if you don't know what to install after the OS is up and running you probably shouldn't use a user-centric OS like arch, gentoo or slackware.
>>
>>51881498
thats screen tearing, try using a plain wm + compton and see if the same thing happens

also update your damn drivers
>>
>>51881519
well what are you using it for
>>
Just spent the last half hour installing Arch in a VM using the beginner's guide. I reboot and if I choose to boot existing OS there's some isolinux "looks reasonable" message stuck there. If I disable the boot ISO image and reboot I just get standard OS not found message. Where could I have gone wrong familia?
>>
File: uptime.jpg (9 KB, 555x30) Image search: [Google]
uptime.jpg
9 KB, 555x30
post uptimes, or not
>>
>>51881844
since you're using a VM, can you take a screenshot? at least, whatever the isolinux "looks reasonable" screen looks like.
>>
>>51881881
Doesn't really belong in this thread
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com(20).jpg (118 KB, 980x660) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com(20).jpg
118 KB, 980x660
Arch or debian?

I've used Mint and Antergos so far.

I will be installing this along with an aleady existing Windows.
>>
>>51881927
arch for AUR support and pacman

debian if you really think pure arch is too hard
>>
>>51881916
whoops :/
>>
File: nooo.png (56 KB, 738x478) Image search: [Google]
nooo.png
56 KB, 738x478
>>51881899
Followed all of the steps, installed base packages, created single partition, chrooted, fstab etc.
>>
Slowpoke here, AMD is going open source meaning more developers could patch up Linux drivers.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9853/amd-gpuopen-linux-open-source
That's pretty cool, I hope they get great results.
>>
>>51882046
Yeah, I REALLY hope that this will improve AMD driver performance on Linux. The worst experiences I've ever had with Linux was when I used ATI cards with Catalyst drivers like 3-4 years ago. Shit never worked right and updating the drivers almost always broke something.
>>
Using Debian Testing + MATE.

I can perfectly see and edit files on my network using Caja, but not all the time. My LAN's pc's appear/disappear all together at random. What's going on?
>>
Wait, this isn't a fucking meme? There is no longer an option to stop WU from downloading updates on Windows 10? Microsoft literally forces you to download every single update whenever it wants?
>>
>>51881844
>>51882029
It seems like it's more a problem of your setup as a whole as opposed to incorrect installation.

How did you get the Arch image into the VM? Via CD, iso, USB, or something different?

Maybe VMWare is to blame? VirtualBox hasn't given me any problems. VM software mimics hardware, so the settings in VMWare might not have been compatible with the ISOLINUX on that Arch image.

The bad news does seem to be that your installation is probably dead. But at least it's just 30 minutes gone, and (because it's just a VM) you were probably going to redo it anyway.
>>
>>51882259
Dude, they've been doing that since Win10 first released.
>>
Trying to increase my linux powerlevel because i want to get into networking/sysadmin/programming and later into pentesting.
Linux experience consists of Debian/Crunchbang/Ubuntu without ever changing much under the hood.
Running Kali right now because i wanted to have a look at the shiny pentesting tools, but i realize i should probably start out by actually learning more about Linux in general.

Plan right now is to jump straight into Arch and get a Raspberry pi or sth similar and just start fucking around with stuff.

Opinions? Tips?
>>
>>51882263
Mounted ISO on virtual CDROM.
Maybe VMWare related. Tried Arch before in VM and did manage to install but fucked up network settings meant I couldn't install any packages so thought I'd start over. Think I need more of a grasp on the fundamentals before returning to Arch...
>>
>>51882259
>>51882311
if you think of the average windows user, this makes sense, right? scrublords never install security patches, but get mad at MS when they get exploited through a vulnerability that was patched months ago -- "this would never happen with apple products!!!!!!!"
>>
Does anyone know how to get the volume buttons working in Debian testing on a Thinkpad T420s?
>>
>>51882756
They don't know what a vulnerability is, or how it gets fixed. If they all thought like that, then Apple would not have the lesser desktop market share. OS X does not force users to update, but it nags them with notifications throughout the day if they don't tell it to shutup.
>>
>>51882785
you find the key you want to use and bind it to a command, depending on your sound driver/mixer/whatever, that increases or decreases volume
>>
>>51882605
I'd go with a regular x86 system instead of an ARM system like the R-pi for learning networking, sysadmin, and pentesting stuff.

Also, for learning about pentesting and network security you MUST get a wireless adapter supports all the functionality of airodump and aireplay (packet injection, fragmentation attack support, Fakeauth, etc.). A few wireless chipsets support those functions natively with the official drivers, a few more can be patched with cracked drivers to implement those functions, and a lot of wireless chipsets are missing one or more features completely with no way to get them working.

http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=compatible_cards

http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=compatibility_drivers
>>
>>51882822
the windows users i know would hate the nagging but be incapable of telling it to shut up
>>
Linux noob here, wiped my activated windows 10 enterprise and jumped straight into Arch.. it was a 5 hour long battle. But I won. I used my PS3 for a tutorial, but slow piece of shit PS3 wouldn't connect to the official arch linux site, because it uses https. So I had to search through obscure forums, and a lot of the tutorials had false information. Which I ended up learning was bullshit and I skipped out on. After 4 tries, I got it. The first try, I didn't get the partitions right. The second try, I missed a letter in the AUR repo script in the pacman config.. Third try, the tutorial gave me the wrong script to install GPU drivers and fucked the install once more. So I didn't bother installing them, and waited until I had a DE and I could get them later.

But I did it. And I now have a great operating system. Now I just got gnome because it was quick and simple, and I think I know everything to do now. So I want to "rice it" what DE do people use for ricing, the one that is blank.
>>
>>51882756
No, the people you describe will always do their updates - the people who never do updates don't even realize their system has been compromised for months.
>>
>>51882982
Why wasn't a working browser the highest priority after the basic installation?
>>
File: 1340608352172.png (34 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1340608352172.png
34 KB, 200x200
>>51882982
>The first try, I didn't get the partitions right.

>mfw I'm still using my single root partition because I misread the partitioning wiki
>>
>>51882990
fair point
>>
best terminal?
>>
>>51883033
Like what?
>>
>>51883170
U R X V T
R
X
V
T
>>
>>51882939
I knew about the wireless chipset part, probably gonna end up buying an adapter until i install coreboot on my x220t because of the bios whitelist.

any recommendations for single board pc's that are cheap? i moved to another country and gave most of my spare parts away so throwing sth together is not an option. plus portability would be nice
>>
so emacs has
-its own package manager
-its own api
-its own terminal with shell
-its own tiling window manager
-its own web browser
-its own assorted library of games

why would you ever need any other program? Hell why do I even need linux? Can I get my EFI to just boot straight to Emacs?
>>
>>51883460
You need a kernel for that.
>>
>>51883488
Ok what's the smallest kernel out there? GNU Hurd?

Fuck this is actually sounding like a good idea. GNU Hurd with GNU Emacs as the userspace.
>>
>>51883508
Hurd or Linux-libre. You may want to install GuixSD
>>
>>51883374
Just throw linux on your laptop and use that to learn everything, you don't have to buy any new/special equipment to learn the things you want to learn.

The only thing a single board pc would be better for is learning about embedded systems or controlling simple stuff via GPIO pins. If you really want to get into embedded systems then get a microcontroller or PLC (I'd recommend a microcontroller like one of the Arduino models to begin with over a PLC, there seems to be a lot more hobbyist projects out there for them). The Raspberry Pi is okay for doing simple projects and messing around with controlling stuff via GPIO pins I guess, it wouldn't hurt to have one at least. I just think that microcontrollers/PLCs are better for embedded stuff and standard laptops/desktops are better for writing code and compiling on.
>>
>>51883616
You're right. I've been looking at x86 single boards a bit and I'm sure it'd be cheaper to just buy a used laptop somewhere if I really needed something that's not ARM.
Probably going to end up ordering a raspberry or something similar(there's probably better stuff out there now, but i haven't done my research yet), just so I have something to play with for programming practice etc.

Ty for the helpful replies.
>>
I want a minimalist customizable distro. I've tried Slackware, void, crux, arch, and gentoo. I'd stick with void if it had some more packages.. Am i missing the reason arch isn't the best or should i just install arch?
>>
>>51883508
GNU Hurd is not a kernel, it's Unix kernel replacement.
>>
>>51884011
be lazy and use architect if you can get it to work
>>
>>51884011
just install arch, its minimal without being insane and has the best software repositories
>>
>>51884054
I like the insanity, all i do is mess with my computer so i want challenges. but at the same time i dont want something stupid like lfs..
>>
>>51884025
It's a fucking kernel, then.
>>
>>51884080
gentoo then

but really from what you said lfs would be your best bet
>>
>>51884011
have you tried installing debian minimally yet?
>>
>>51883890
No problem man. The newer Raspberry Pi would be a good, cheap single board PC to just mess around and experiment with. The only issue I have with running a Linux Desktop on an ARM platform is that there isn't near as much software available compared to x86 architecture and the limited CPU/memory on most ARM systems will make it feel pretty sluggish at times.

The newer model Raspberry Pi would probably be your best bet if you want to go that route just because of how popular they are; there will be a lot more documentation and community support available for it vs a more obscure ARM board.
>>
>>51884117
I have, it's fine but i can't really see the difference other than having older software that is more stable. I'd rather just use Arch for the update packages.
>>
>>51884157
use unstable or testing anon. debian stable is for servers. if you want a challenge debian unstable minimal will keep you occupied if you do bug-reports.
>>
Can anyone give me the arch install guide that someone posted the other day?
>>
>>51884200
Alright thanks, i may try it, what's the difference between testing and unstable?
>>
>>51884229
testing is for normal users and unstable is for people who like muh bleeding edge and can handle some errors.
>>
>>51884212
>>
>>51884256
How are the debian unstable packages compared to packages in Arch's standard repo?
>>
>>51884322
>How are the debian unstable packages compared to packages in Arch's standard repo?
a lot more at least. pretty recent, even compared to arch.
>>
Anon from last thread asking about TF2 here. glxgears -info says my laptop is using the dedicated gpu but I still get the same garbage framerate. (I'll fuck around with that later.) My question now is how do I get the steam applet to appear on my taskbar?
>>
>>51884515
I'm also using cpufreq to save battery life. How do I have the indicator appear on my taskbar too? I had no problem having it on ubuntu.
>>
So pulse couldn't detect my headset properly, so I moved to alsa, but alsa is confusing as fuck. Are there any guides to a good .asoundrc? The Arch Wiki is disappointing me for once.
>>
>>51884515
>>51884567
What DE are you using? Xfce4, which comes with xfce4-panel obviously, by default has steam show up in the system tray.

Try to go through your panel settings but I think all the big friendly distros have system trays by default
>>
File: Installing Arch.2015txt.png (2 MB, 3502x9294) Image search: [Google]
Installing Arch.2015txt.png
2 MB, 3502x9294
>>51884212
>>
>>51884694
Unplug all of your usb devices, and all other connected devices.

Reboot

enjoy
>>
>>51885031
My headset shows up as two devices and my monitor shows up as another 7
>>
>>51884942
Thanks anon
>>
>>51885078
In alsamixer how many sound cards are there? (f6)
Maybe you need to set the default sound card in alsa?
>>
DEBIAN VS ARCH

Fight!
>>
>>51885291
no.
>>
>>51885291
Go away, this is the FRIENDLY Linux Thread.
>>
>>51885331
Fuck off, ushifag.
>>
>>51885320
>>51885331
>>51885347
No but seriously I don't know which to pick.
>>
>>51885425
For what purpose
>>
>>51885291
>>51885347
Get the fuck out memelord.
>>
>>51885442
To begin learning to rice and some development.
>>
>>51885425
debian

Now go do something productive
> implying
>>
>>51885460
No, you get out. This is my territory.
>>
>>51885482
Finished your homework?
>>
>>51885478
I think I'll go with deb this time. Only ever had mint and antergos.
>>
>>51885471
You will never get past the rice stage
>>
I'm running Arch Linux currenty, I was wondering if there is any tool out there that can let me watch content that isn't accessible from my country. I don't really want to use a browser add-on
>>
>>51885513
>Only ever had mint and antergos.
>DEBIAN VS ARCH - FIGHT
Kill yourself my child
>>
>>51885616
Why won't you take a simple solution?
>>
>>51885616
>>51884275
How to cuc.k an archfag:
1. Link to wiki
>>https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Proxy_settings
2. Pretend elitist
>>If you don't know how to search within the wiki you should fuck back to *buntu
>>
Going to try Elementary OS and if I don't like it, Move on to Bodhi Linux.

What kind of problems am I likely to run into?
>>
>>51885733
Shitty devs.
>>
>>51885733
What do you want to have in your system? Is it a server or a desktop? How long have you been using GNU/Linux for?
>>
>>51885709
thanks m8 real good of u
>>
>>51885761
It's my laptop, which is far shittier than my desktop but fulfills the niche when I want to be web browsing while watching TV or whatever.

I'm pretty experienced with linux. Used slackware, gentoo, ubuntu, and was looking real forward to e17 before rasterman went all commercial.
>>
>>51885794
eOS is probably going to be buggy but considering your experience you can handle them.
If pantheon is what you are looking for you can install them on top of Arch or Debian.
I don't know why you are opting for bodhi linux for.
>>
>>51885879
>>51885879
>I don't know why you are opting for bodhi linux for.
Basically just to try new things. I don't follow anything linux anymore, so if something is objectively terrible, I have no idea.
>>
>>51878683
You can't install a lot of those normal linux applications on chromeos, however you can ssh into a box.

You would probably be better off going straight lubuntu.
>>
>>51878482
This is weird... I've barely used any Linux whatsoever, like maybe 5 hours on a Live CD in my entire life, but I'm feeling increasingly compelled to install Arch... can anyone talk me into or out of this?
>>
>>51886137
What you need is mental counseling, you are influenced by people very easily
>>
I'm setting up a Ubuntu web server for the first time and have no idea what I'm doing.

I've managed to install the OS and nginx, however I'm still not connecting to my server through my browser. The server's IP is private, so I'm assuming that's the problem, however I'm not sure why it's that way or how to fix it. Any help?
>>
>>51886137
I'd start out with a distro that comes pre-configured with a working desktop environment and a decent selection of default programs installed if I was you.
>>
>>51886218
>nginx
use Apache tbqh familia
>>
>Using arch
>Have to install Windows because work
>Reinstalling Grub2
>mount everything right
>chroot that shit
>grub-install
>lol can´t find your boot folder :^)
>pop in the old ubuntu liveusb
>run boot-repair
>USB drive GPT so you gotta make a grub partition even tho you specified the drive, bud :~)
Things like these are why people don´t use linux.
>>
>>51886298
Have you done grub-mkconfig ?
>>
>>51886275

B-but the article said that nginx was more powerful

http://arstechnica.com/business/2011/11/a-faster-web-server-ripping-out-apache-for-nginx/

I don't know what to believe anymore.
>>
>>51886298
>using UEFI
Your fault.
>>
>>51886298
>im incompetent so i'm going to plain the OS
>>
>>51886348
Yes.
>>51886343
Yes, but it´s been solved. Thanks though.
>>51886414
>i make assumptions randomly
>i think anyone writing something about his encounter with a bootloader is complaining about an OS
Found the special needs child.
>>
Should i switch to Xubuntu?

I use mint with XFCE, Cinnamon and WMaker. Love it. It just works. But i want software that isnt outdated as fuck and i dont want to have to add a ppa for newer software.

If not xubuntu, Then what? I want something that JustWorx and is supported and wont fuck itself during an update.
>>
>>51886298
Sounds like everything was working fine until you went and installed Windows on your computer, how is this Linux's fault again?
>>
>>51886478
antergos
>>
>>51886504
am i being memed or are you serious
>>
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda1

Will this make the data on a drive completely irretrievable? Is this what DBAN does?
>>
>>51878482
God this reminds me of my high school IT class.

After describing what an OS is, it said "Examples of operating systems include Windows 95, Windows 98 and Windows NT".

It's not wrong but jesus fuck. Even as a high school kid I could name 10 non-Windows ones.
>>
>>51886515
It's a severe meme
>>
>>51886529
Short answer: yes.
Long answer: by far most of it.
Practical answer: it's fine, just add bs=1M so it won't take forever.
>>
>>51886548
Thanks for confirming that. I cant fuck around with arch. Even the Architect Installer didn’t work as my wifi card didn’t have drivers for it.
>>
>>51886347
>arstechnica
kek
>>
>>51886573
Architect couldn't discover my wifi card either. But Im still using Arch, Antergos is a meme, arch isn't
>>
>>51886529
DBAN is useless.

http://www.noah.org/wiki/Dd_-_Destroyer_of_Disks#Tinfoil_hat_paranoia
>>
>>51886573
So get a WiFi card that isn't shit of you intend to use Linux. They're like $5.
>>
>>51886610
I need something that's debian/ubuntu based cause i'm a big baby.
>>
>>51886644
Xubuntu or Ubuntu MATE for newbie friendly distro
Move to Arch when you used linux for a month
>>
>>51878482
How are you guys doing?
I'm in a bit of a perdicament. I am trying to install a virtual machine (mint), and it is failing it start. I managed to install a 64bit version on my 64bit windows host, but I wanted to install a 32bit system since I'm only allocating 512mb of RAM. Now it freezes when it tries to boot up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
>>
>>51878482
I wanna see how far Linux can be pushed, has anyone got some videos of a heavily riced arch Linux? I wanna see Arch at its coolest and sexiest.
>>
>>51886724
>>>/desktop/
>>
>>51884011 here
How do you install a minimal xorg, currently debian is pulling in a lot of unnecessary packages such as xorg-xserver-video-vmware
>>
>>51886745
He said sexiest not little anime gi... oh
>>
>>51887277
i think its fairly simple, use a non retarded distro or compile from source
>>
>>51887277
find xorg-minimal or whatever package if it has such a thing.
>>
anyone know how to fix arch giving me a blank screen with a non flashing cursor sometimes when i open the lid to my laptop

i cant even get into tty
>>
>>51887371
No such thing, at least not that i can find. The only thing i can think of is installing the individual packages..

>>51887345
:<
>>
>>51887376
>he fell for the systemd meme
>>
I opened up an Ubuntu VM on an old server rack I have in my basement because I needed a free OS to run a few dedicated servers for some steam games my friends and I play. I've only used it for a little while, but something about the "nothing on this OS works the way it says on the box without a few terminal commands first, if you're lucky" feel the OS has is actually quite endearing.

If I ever get this one working, I might actually use Ubuntu or similar on my PC.

Though honestly, if anyone has any advice on running steam dedicated servers on it, I'd appreciate it, it took me a day to install steam because it was missing libraries and refused to download them.
>>
>>51887376
Does your computer suspend to RAM automatically when the lid is closed?
>>
>>51887393
Ok, well that kind of makes sense. Debian is designed to 'just work' for most things, it looks like it takes the same approach with packaging as it does with its kernel (compile in every damn thing possible). What difference does it make? It's like a few mb to download, it doesn't change the performance at all.
>>
>>51887437
no clue
>>
>>51887446
>install arch anon, you'll learn loads about your system and linux
>doesn't even know what his computer does when the lid closes
>>
>>51887463
i used architect because i just wanted a minimal system to do work on that didnt take any resources and had non retarded repos

i didnt even consider the sleep/hibernate functions because that wasn't an issue until recently
>>
>>51887487
miminal doesn't = uses less resources.
>>
>>51887444
Well i'd like to use as little pace as i can so that i can download hundreds of shitty anime pics.. but i guess the full xorg will have to do
>>
>>51887446
It probably suspends, there's a well known bug that causes freezing/crashing when entering or exiting suspend/hibernate on Linux. I've never experienced it personally but there is no official fix for it. You can disable suspend/hibernate if you want or, if you don't need the newest kernel available, downgrade your kernel to the last LTS version.
>>
making my third attempt at installing arch on my desktop( Im the faggot struggling with UEFI and GPT)

I didnt realise there was a beginners install guide on the wiki, I only saw the normal one. I made some key differences and I think its going to work, so wish me luck!
>>
how do i make xsnow work when using compton
>>
Ok, I installed Xubuntu on another drive, but I think the drive might be faulty.

How do I migrate it to my main windows drive?
>>
>>51888052
good luck man!
>>
>>51888059
Ask ushifag.
>>
File: 1437241241654.gif (1 MB, 260x195) Image search: [Google]
1437241241654.gif
1 MB, 260x195
Every time I update gtk2 I have to reinstall the filechooser icon patch, and this time it doesn't fucking work despite installing correctly.
Is anyone else having the same problem? I wish the shitty developers would just integrate the patch already, this is bullshit. Image related, I can't tell what the fuck I'm uploading anymore.
>>
>>51888658
werks fine here tbqh familia
>>
>>51888052
so i do everything the damn guide tells me, restart boot into linux from uefi, go into emurgency shell because the file system is ntsf
how is this possible?
>>
after installing a font from git, where do I put it?
I'm trying to enable it in .Xresources from ~/.fonts
after putting it in urxvt wont start :'(
>>
>>51888801
gunna try my fourth install, I sure hope i didnt write over 1T of photos on a HDD

Can drive names change when replugging in the bootable usb drive? my ssd was /dev/sdd then it was /dev/sdc now its /dev/sdd
>>
>>51888078
disk cloning bruh, clonezilla or arconis but unless you've done a lot of ricing and shit to the install, just do a fresh install over windows and move any files you want over
>>
>>51888837
Back your shit up before trying to install another OS.

I hope to god you did this before your first try because there's a chance you've already lost your shit.
>>
I run Fedora 23 with Cinnamon.

I want to run it with MATE, but when I installed it from the repos it was missing a bunch of shit.

I downloaded the MATE spin and intend to install it.

If I don't delete my home partition, will I be able to keep all my shit? I don't feel like backing my laptop up again.
>>
>>51881881
>1 user
do you always login as root?
>>
>>51888924
yes, just don't use the autopartition feature, do it manually and set /home in the same spot and don't mark it for formatting
>>
>>51888721
Fuck, I don't know what I've done wrong then. I'll probably reinstall my entire OS to fix it just because having icons in the fileviewer is that important to me.
>>
>>51888986
what you're doing wrong is using gtk+2 instead of gtk+3
>>
>>51888658
Do you mean in firefox?
Firefox just moved to gtk3 senpai.
The reason developers are shitty and won't do what you want to gtk2 is because gtk2 only receives security updates and minor fixes theses days. it's almost dead.
As to why gtk3 doesn't receive the patch, well... that's gnome for you.
>>
>>51888986
that's pretty sad and pathetic son, learn how to fix things. You're not using windows now.
>>
>>51889061
hey now! the thread subject clearly has the word friendly in it, so you just back up off his junk
>>
>>51889117
get fucked cuntymcjibnibly
>>
How hard is an arch install on a newer thinkpad? I've used Debian and Mint a fair amount but I love the idea of full customization that arch has.
>>
So everything I try to upgrade to Ubuntu 15 it breaks

Ubuntu 14.04 is missing some packages
It won't upgrade properly
What do /g/uise.......
>>
>>51884275
Thanks man this is actually helpful for me.

>>51889151
Install Debian
>>
>>51889151
>What do /g/uise.......
Maybe post something other than a vague description.
>>
I posted a couple threads ago about how I'm fucking retarded and couldn't install gentoo. Well I figured it out finally. Helluva crash course. So what DE should I use and then what?
>>
>>51889184
don't use a DE, they're all shit and you get a fuck ton of compiling to do everytime it fixes a bug or two.
Use a tiling window manager, preferably not plebby i3.
>>
>>51888876
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeee

Nothing was lost, but after following the guide i cant boot into linux, and now the drive is remembering shit even though im re partitioning and recreating the file system. When i did fucking loceale-gen, it the two uncommented things showed up twice when it said done!!

WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON. I HATE UEFI

i follow the guide to a T
then I cant seem to boot into it
fuck
>>
>>51889213
Use BIOS
>>
File: pepemrrobot.jpg (101 KB, 1170x900) Image search: [Google]
pepemrrobot.jpg
101 KB, 1170x900
>>51878482
Is it true that swap kills SSD?
I have 8 GB RAM and 4GB of swap + zram
On another computer I have 16 GB ram + 8 GB swap

Wat do?
>>
>>51889204
I don't even know the difference. This is my first time using Linux. I wanna make my desktop pretty like in the desktop threads, can a windows tiling manager do that or should I go with KDE or something?
>>
>>51889213
If GRUB broke boot into some live CD and run boot-repair
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.