[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need some help with people who built a computer before. Right
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: 1.jpg (119 KB, 1388x881) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
119 KB, 1388x881
I need some help with people who built a computer before. Right now I have the computer parts to build a pc but would I have to do it with a anti static wrist strap, since I don't want to destroy valuable hardwares.
>>
Where THE FUCK ARE THE JANITORS
WHO IS GOING TO FUCKING DELETE THIS THREAD??? HMMM???
ITS BEEN TWO FUCKING HOURS THIS THREAD HAS BEEN SITTING HERE WITH NO POSTS.
FUCKING RETARD MOD ASS MONKEYS, FUCK.
>>
>>51860873
you can also plug the psu in an outlet and touch it once in a while to ground yourself to prevent static build up.
>>
>>51862859
Stop spreading the "ground yourself" meme. It just makes retards like OP scared when there is no fucking reason to.

>>51860873
Answer me this OP:
>In your house do you often get static shocks when you touch door handles or something?
Most likely your answer to this was no. So just go ahead and assemble your shit.
If you have crappy shit carpets and or sweaters and you belong to the 1% that do get static shocks randomly around the house, then yes touch the stupid power supply occasionally.

In general though there is zero danger of you actually destroying shit.

I'm a sysadmin, I can't count the number of computers I thumbled in while giving zero fucks about static. As a matter of fact I touched four E5-2699 v3 (aka 20k Euro worth of CPUs) the other week without giving a fuck about static. Never destroyed a single component ever (well, a RAM slot once sort of, but it still worked). Also I've built around 12 pcs for me and family/friends over the years.
>>
>>51863124
also the RAM slot had nothing to do with static, just to make that clear. I have to this day no idea why, but the RAM just wouldn't come out and after a while I just brute forced it. The slot was sort of split in two at the one end, but it worked with the new RAM. Also the memory was fine as well.
>>
>>51860873
You're retarded for not already purchasing one, you can get them for $2 off Amazon with free shipping.

>>51863124
The static shock doesn't even have to be enough for you to feel it for it to damage components.
>>
>>51863317
>t. child who watches youtube videos and just built his first computer

The chance of that happening is tinier than you getting hit by a car tomorrow. Fuck off.
>>
My brother told me to get a anti static wrist strap, and its not worth the risk of damaging valuable hardware. So I was asking, since I don't want to pay £5 for one
>>
Also hows this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anti-Static-Wrist-Strap-Grounding-Discharge/dp/B004XBBYSY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450126283&sr=8-1&keywords=anti+static+wrist+straps
>>
>>51864209
There is no risk. The risk is much higher that you get actually struck by lightning than the chance of you damaging your components. I wouldn't take one for free.

Honestly I'd feel very confident to rub a balloon and then touch the CPU pins.

>>51864244
Please make this fad stop.
>>
>>51864176
What are you trying to prove? People get hit by cars every day, you'd have to be retarded to not pay $2 once and not have to worry about that every time you work on a computer for the rest of your life as long as you don't lose the damn thing.
>>
>>51864285
btw my whole house floor expect the kitchen is carpet
>>
File: 1447274947970.png (234 KB, 439x374) Image search: [Google]
1447274947970.png
234 KB, 439x374
>check /g/ for the first time in months
>there are people arguing about buiying a shitty wrist strap
MOTHERFUCKING COPPER WIRE, STRIP AN END AND TWIST IT AROUND YOUR WRISTS AND ANOTHER ONE ON A GROUNDED THING
>>
>>51864326
It's a fucking fad, there's no need for it, at all. Obviously you have nothing to lose except your dignity.
You need to stop at least from recommending these. I swear to god there is this one guy in China who gets actually rich of making these.

Just go ahead and google for "destroyed cpu static" or something. You will only come up with 100000000 results of people wanting to buy this shit or asking if there is a danger in doing it without and 0 results about people actually destroying their CPU. Maybe you'll find 4-5 in all of the internets, but I can guarantee you 3-4 were actually something else entirely and the last one was someone with crazy carpet/sweater static.

>>51864329
doesn't matter, buy the placebo if it makes you feel better whatever
>>
>>51864419
Even this is entirely pointless and I'm trying to bring this point across, but anyhow, I give up.

Go ahead and buy these shitty bracelets, just know that people who actually know shit, will laugh at you when they see you with one.
>>
>>51864521
Which is why anyone who works on computers for a living uses them?
>>
>>51864526
I'm a sysadmin in a big datacenter. Nobody uses them.

People who are actually producing stuff, need to give a fuck about static.
>>
>>51860873
Simple flowchart:
>Are you fucking retarded?
Yes > wristbands
No > nice, me neither
>>
>>51860873
Better safe than sorry.
>>
>>51862851
what?
that isn't what the janitors are here for, their job is to remove threads that are off-topic or against the rules

if you hadn't bumped it the thread would have been dead by now
or are you just OP and wanted to bump your thread without saying anything
>>
>>51860873
One of the first things I learned was to keep one hand in my pocket while working on live stuff.
Having part of my body grounded is a death trap.
Live stuff can look exactly the same as non-live stuff.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.