[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GPU sag fixes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6
File: sag.jpg (3 MB, 4128x3096) Image search: [Google]
sag.jpg
3 MB, 4128x3096
>Recently found out my GPU is sagging pretty bad.

Is it harmful?
Is so whats the best way to fix it?
Ghetto fixed appreciated.
>>
>>51736526
It can be destructive in some situations. Theres an image floating around somewhere of a Gigabyte motherboard's PCI-E x16 slot completely destroyed by card sag.

In most cases though it results in the far end contacts from the notch having a harder time maintaining contact. If the sag is too far the lanes will lose the connection resulting in malfunctions, and in worst case scenarios board and card damage.

Best way to fix it is to either get a card that is properly supported (backplate or other support mechanism connected to the PCI bracket), or keep the current one and use something to support it (fishing line tied to the top of the case works, as is using something from below to prop the card up.).
>>
I'm using a spare bit of 7/0.2 wire I had.
String would fine too but I found the wire first
>>
Just route the GPU power cable above the GPU, and make sure that shit is tight. That way your cable is holding up your card, it helps a bit.
>>
>>51736526
i put dominos under that corner.
>>
File: sag2.jpg (2 MB, 3096x4128) Image search: [Google]
sag2.jpg
2 MB, 3096x4128
I had some zip ties lying around so I went that route. I attached them to the end of the fan shroud and it pretty much lines out now.
>>
File: sag3.jpg (3 MB, 4128x3096) Image search: [Google]
sag3.jpg
3 MB, 4128x3096
>>51737088

much better than before, thanks /g/ents
>>
>>51736787
I have employed this tactic many times.
>>
File: IMG_20151128_215857275.jpg (2 MB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151128_215857275.jpg
2 MB, 1836x3264
>>51736526

my ghetto temporal fix after i noticed my card was not giving signal, when it did it wasnt pushing all the pins on the pcie slot so sometimes it was x8, x4 or even x1, with this its x16 all the time
>>
Ive used twisty ties on the gpu power cables and fastened it near the cd drive bay. Not doing that anymore its not necessary for me.
>>
How many years are gonna pass before mobo/GPU manufacturers are gonna start addressing this issue?
Would be really easy to fix
>>
>>51740301

Didn't they fix it with the reinforced PCIe slots on Z170?
>>
>>51740842
Yep, and now the CPUs bend!
>>
File: IMG_20151207_223739_HDR.jpg (3 MB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151207_223739_HDR.jpg
3 MB, 1836x3264
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.