[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/wdg/ - Web Dev General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21
File: wdg.png (747 KB, 824x553) Image search: [Google]
wdg.png
747 KB, 824x553
/wdg/ - 'Web Devs are too lazy to make new threads' Edition

>IRC Channel
#/g/wdg @ irc.rizon.net
Web client: https://www.rizon.net/chat

>Learning material
https://www.codecademy.com/
https://www.bento.io/
https://programming-motherfucker.com/
https://github.com/vhf/free-programming-books/blob/master/free-programming-books.md
https://www.theodinproject.com/

>Frontend development
https://github.com/dypsilon/frontend-dev-bookmarks

>Backend development
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_application_frameworks

>Useful tools
https://pastebin.com/q5nB1Npt/
https://libraries.io/ - Discover new open source libraries, modules and frameworks and keep track of ones you depend upon.

>NEET guide to web dev employment
https://pastebin.com/4YeJAUbT/
>>
>>51702492
Fuck
Previous thread here: >>51667137
>>
File: 1448799448184.jpg (58 KB, 540x531) Image search: [Google]
1448799448184.jpg
58 KB, 540x531
So what's everyone working on?

>currently making a PasteBin clone
>>
File: esa.jpg (927 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
esa.jpg
927 KB, 2000x2000
Hey guys I'm in the middle of project so I would really appreciate if someone could help with this rather simple but weird thing.

Look at http://jsfiddle.net/dwec3kwx/6/ , when you hover the square in Chrome it rotates but if you move your cursor while still on square he will trigger hover effect again. Should this happen?
In Firefox it doesnt happen like this, it happens the way I intended to. It will not trigger hover until you move away from square completely.
Can you see it too? How do I fix this for Chrome? I mean I know how to fix it with adding a third container element but I wanted know how to do it with just these two.
Actually I am more interested in why is this happening at all.
Thanks.
>>
>>51702604
Learning Go. Preparing to rewrite a Node project in it.
>>
>>51702604
I'm working on this: http://www.nask.co/
finished adding the most basic features: audio from TTS engines and videos from images/videos. now I have to add other stuff

do you guys like it? any feedback/criticism/whatever?
>>
>>51702729
Checked it out. Seems pretty interesting.

One thing. It checks for the same input (I tested it by submitting "Hello" twice), but provides another link a second time, while also providing the first link.

Wouldn't it be easier to check if there are two identical inputs and just send them to the same link?
>>
>>51702802
I would have to add a DB for that. I'm not sure that such a feature would be worth much pain, though... I would have to check at most 1600 unicode chars every time someone enters some input. it would be practically impossible, and I don't see the need to do that.
now, I could store inputs and check client-side... but why do that anyway?
I use imgur as a reference, and ther you can upload the same image many times.
>>
Is anyone familiar with pixiv and aware of a way to navigate to the direct image link given the illustration ID, without downloading the illustration page and finding the URL there?

I was going to look at how the Python pixiv batch downloader utility does it, but his link to the source code is broken.
>>
>>51702874
It was just a redundancy I noticed, but it makes sense, since they probably aren't that large on the server.

And you're not using a database? Make sure you implement something like that eventually.

But it all looks pretty good. Is this a first project?
>>
>>51702604
Trying to better my designing skills
seems like the only place freelancing is going ok for me
>>
>>51702802
btw, please check the videos :)
you can import images/videos from, say, imgur, or any other website that distributes videos. you have to use a direct link to the video, though.
>>
>>51702937
>It was just a redundancy I noticed, but it makes sense, since they probably aren't that large on the server.
yeah, they are just a few kbs

>And you're not using a database? Make sure you implement something like that eventually.
this is what I have to do now, to add other features, users, logging, etc.

>But it all looks pretty good. Is this a first project?
well, more or less, yes. I've "made" website, but this one I made it by myself, with the help (advices, etc.) of other people and google, of course
I made it so I could learn webdev and new langs
>>
>>51702604
Learning Swift just because.
>>
>>51702961
I'm not sure if I'm using it wrong, but I found a .webm on Imgur, and tried to use an audio thing from your site, but it says 'There was an error'
>>
How does optimizing robots.txt help getting more traffic from search engines?
>>
holee fuck

the place where I work just got bought out and I'm going from a cozy mobile developer job to full fledged web dev next year. I've never even touched JavaScript.

Is it possible to learn angular js and C# within a month?
>>
Anyone know a good equivalent of Jquery-ui Calendar? Shit only works with an input form (blows my mind how idiotic that is). Basically just want a button that when clicked brings up a calendar.
>>
>>51703453
C# is very similar to Java, if you have used that.

Angular.js/JavaScript might be a bit harder to learn, but its definitely doable to get an understanding.

I'm not sure if you will be a rockstar in those technologies within a month, but you can definitely get a good foundation of it if you start now.
>>
>>51703453
I don't know about Angular, but C# is easy to use/learn.
>>
>>51703453
angular is a little awkward to get a handle of. does your job really require it? or are you just mentally preparing yourself?
>>
What should I as an amateur charge for a website build?
>>
>>51703210
hmm, how did you put the id of the audio file? the id should be something like http://www.nask.co/get/AaAaAaAaAa.ogg (or mp3) , or http://nask.co/hear/AaAaAaAaAa , or simply AaAaAaAaAa
>>
>>51703541
I got this from /g/

Hours of work * rate of pay * payment to get out of bed
>>
>>51703541
if you're asking that you probably aren't good enough to charge premium. work out average minimum wage for hours required, round that up to an even number, then add however much you feel necessary to cover additional expenses. That way you can itemise your bill/receipt so they won't feel ripped off.
>>
>>51703530
From what I heard that's definitely what we're going to be using. Can't remember other technologies they might've mentioned.

>>51703502
Yeah I did native Android and iPhone for about a year, so I'm not totally lost with Java / Objective C.

I guess I just don't really know how these two languages even fit together. Like do you build the server code in C# or something? And Angular is just running the front end logic?
>>
>>51703556
I checked the logs. yeah, the way you put the file "ID" was the problem. also, make sure link to the video itself (.mp4/.webm) instead of linking to a webpage.
I guess I could add support for youtube and gifvs in the future... for now, I'll ask users to link directly to videos
>>
>>51703541
10 an hour. Overshoot your work estimate by at least 6 hours.
>>
>>51703467
Pikaday works really well. I've used it on multiple projects when I've needed a datepicker. It's also what we use as a datepicker where I work at.

Ive never used jquery ui calendar so I can't compare it to that but if the jquery ui calendar is at all like their sortable, and it sounds like it is since you've got retarded restrictions, pikaday will be miles better.
>>
>>51703645
C# does handle the backend, with something like .NET probably.

And yeah, Angular is the frontend MVC library that will be handling logic and all that.

Make sure to read up on MVC. I was lost for the first time when I start with it, and then one day it just 'clicked'
>>
Hello /wdg/, what are the coolest features you love to see in website?
>>
>>51703833
Proper support for mobile devices. Nothing as sexy as well designed responsive site that doesn't shit itself as soon as you touch the screen.

>mfw shit bound to touchstart
>mfw hover based navis that shit themselves on touch screens
>mfw absolutely no thought given to xs-m size design and usability
>mfw full size pictures loaded for mobile devices
>mfw I have no face

Also anyone who tries to still offer a separate mobile site in the year of our Lord 2015 should go kill themselves right now.
>>
>>51704065
Thank you a lot buddy, i already implemented responsive design for different devices in my new website project. Other suggestions?
>>
>>51704188
Not him, but what kind of site is it? Since not all kinds of features should be added to a site.
>>
>>51703467
visibility: hidden on your input, then button.onClick do input.focus.
>>
>>51704384
what? why?
>>
>>51703467
Just restyle the input using css to look like your button.
>>
>>51704458
Because you then have an input that isn't visible, but he can still use the datepicker (I assume that by jquery calendar, he means datepicker).
>>
>>51704324
I'm actually baffled how simplistic and lacking in features are most web pages on mobiles. Especially if you test them on older devices which can't even get the Lolipop update (so they're stuck on Kitkat, on which browsers are pretty bad).

Compared to desktop, mobile sites today don't really make you think of the desktop experience as a lesser one, it's rather the other way around. It always feels like mobile sites (the responsive version of the desktop site) are toy versions of the real thing.
>>
>>51704702
I get what you mean, and I think it boils down to speed/data.

When you are on your phone, you are probably on 4G or whatever, so making sure everything is kind of minimalistic helps with data usage/not the greatest speeds.

On the other hand, it could be a mix of people being to lazy to design a proper experience for mobile, or having too much information FOR mobile, so they just boil it down to the most simple content
>>
File: 1434475382912.png (2 MB, 6925x8708) Image search: [Google]
1434475382912.png
2 MB, 6925x8708
Should I go to college for web dev? From what I’ve been reading it's essentially useless.

HOWEVER, I could go for free without having to move out, get part time job, etc...
>>
File: Bootstrap-3.jpg (13 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
Bootstrap-3.jpg
13 KB, 480x270
so what the hell is bootstrap? I always hand code my css and html because it honestly couldnt be any easier... I was looking at some bootstrap code snippets and saw nothing more than that. I thought it would be some kind of library with its own markup like jQuery, in which case maybe I would use it since that would just be quicker.
>>
>>51704870
>College for web dev
kek, might as well do Gender studies or take Music classes.

>>51704920
What the hell is google? It's pre-packaged shit you can use to cut down on devtime.
>>
>>51704920
it's a CSS framework with lots of stuff ready to use.
so you just set some specific classes without the need to write actual css.
>>
>>51704870
For web dev? Probably not.

You wouldn't, technically, want to go for Computer Science. A lot of companies like to see CS degrees. Not always needed, but its a plus.

I don't know your financial situation, but if you can get into a decent school for CS, then I would do that. As long as you don't drive yourself into debt.

>51704920
Its just a CSS framework to help you out. It has buttons/forms that are all styled to look nice, although I don't use it. The most important feature of these frameworks is the grid, which you WILL want to learn, since it allows responsive design.
>>
>>51704920
the theory is everyone tends to design the same frameworks/layouts (big hero image, rule-of-thirds below the fold), so bootstrap simplifies that by offering them prebuilt.

It's basically for beginners.
>>
>>51704870
>From what I’ve been reading it's essentially useless.
You got that right, but having a degree always helps.
>>
>>51704870
You want a degree, a lot of places won't hire without, or at least put you in second tier.

Just go somewhere cheap, make sure you get internships, and don't sweat your GPA, just pass.
>>
Bootstrap is a framework for building sites quickly. It includes layout CSS classes, and a theme (visual CSS styles) which you've probably seen before on the web.

Basically, you can save a load of time laying out a website by starting with bootstrap
>>
>>51702650
thanks guys i fixed it
>>
>>51705050
>>51705024
>>51704975
Thanks qts, so I should go for an associates? Once again money isn't an issue.
>>
I want to enable browser caching and compression on my apache server but whenever i enable deflate suddenly browser caching no longer works.
How the fuck do i fix this? httpd.conf relevant section:
ExpiresActive On
ExpiresDefault A0

SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
>>
>>51705366
Bachelors, not an associates. Honestly, better no degree than an associates.
>>
>>51704702
Mobile version should be simplistic. However they shouldn't be lacking content when compared to the desktop version. The difficult part is deciding what you can strip away from the desktop version and still have a fully usable site that doesn't feel like it's lacking something when you're using it on mobile.

I guess part of the reason why some pages are so bad on mobile is that you get weird behaviour on some devices. And if you're not working for a large company it might be hard to get a wide array of test devices.

>>51704758
Speed isn't a problem on most phones. 4g is faster than a great deal of wired connections. Even 3g is plenty fast to load the content fast enough. And changing a few pictures to smaller ones won't help much if you're still loading huge amounts of css, js and ads. I got a Nokia e71 when they came out and I never had any problems browsing with it. Tbh it was better user experience on some sites back then than my current phone right now. Where the real problem comes in is when you have tons of js and bloat on your site some phones just don't have the processing power to keep up especially if you're trying to multitask at all. Also the increased number of ads aren't helping at all since they tend to be quite heavy.

>>51705087
>>51704988
>>51704940
>>51704920
Bootstrap is a css an js framework and as long as you use the correct classnames you don't necessarily need to even touch any css if you're doing just a basic site and still get something that looks nice and is responsive.

Don't listen to the guys saying it's shit. It might be a bit bloated and heavy but it does what it's supposed to do really well. If you're just starting out don't start with bootstrap. It's better to learn without any frameworks or at least without something as massive as bootstrap.

On large projects you'll have to use a framework most of the time. Be it bootstrap, something else that's publicly available or an inhouse one but you're gonna have something.
>>
>>51705509
Have you tried turning it off and installing nginx instead?
>>
>>51704758
Yea, basically the mobile experience of the web is still just a watered down, gimped, experience compared to the desktop.

Which - doh - it's the obvious thing to say, but I guess the point I was trying to make is that there isn't some kind of *special, complex*, experience for the web on mobile that would make you forget about desktop.

The desktop is still *the* best way to experience a site. People are just switching more to the mobile just because it's available almost everywhere and it's very convenient. Other than that, it's quite poor compared to what you can do on a desktop.

And since you can't really go further than 6 inch phablets, I don't see what progress can be made in this area. Except that devices will get more capable to allow for more content density and dynamicity.
>>
>>51702913
A friend is developing a Pixiv extension. Perhaps you can ask him or figure something from the source. https://github.com/KoinoAoi/Koi-Pixiv-Extension
>>
>>51706077
Mobile web doesn't have to be a gimped watered down version of the desktop web. It's just that most people don't know how to do it properly, it isn't even demanded from them and designers don't know how to design good mobile layouts yet. Once people get used to good mobile sites they will start demanding companies provide them a proper well working mobile site.

The project I'm on right now is just as good on mobile as it's on a desktop. But it doesn't happen by itself. It's been a 2 year trial and error process of hard work with prototyping different solutions and fixing tons of defects on all kinds of mobile devices. Obviously there is a bit more scrolling but everything scales properly and you don't miss anything that's actually important. The desktop and mobile versions don't even look the same. Obviously the theme is the same but the actual content places itself differently so it fits a smaller screen better.

And that is the secret to creating a good resposive site. Don't even try to use the same layout for mobile and desktop sizes. It won't work no matter what you do. Just give up and do designs for various screen sizes and how the content scales between them.
>>
>>51705603
So do you think it's worth spending 4 years of my life to get a piece of paper that "helps" getting a web dev job? How much does it help exactly?
>>
>>51706673
Dude, once you get your first job those 4 years are a waste. Do something useful and study for a year on your own and make a nice portfolio.
>>
>>51706673
People get a degree either to study something they like or to get a degree to help them hunt a job.
I agree with >>51706801
>>
>>51706514
>Don't even try to use the same layout for mobile and desktop sizes. It won't work no matter what you do.

Seriously, get the fuck out. You're basically saying responsiveness doesn't exist. If you're happy making multiple designs for the same fucking content then be my guest, but don't try to dismiss the fact that responsive web design eliminates the need to do so.
>>
>>51706821
go to college*
>>
>>51706673
Well, if you were to go the entire length, its less of a piece of paper. You do get knowledge, but you also make connections.

If that 4 year span, you could be learning more. CS is fairly broad subject, but if you are going to school for something web dev relation, it should be that. Maybe some sort of art, but that might even be more of a waste.

Follow what >>51706801 said. If you dedicate yourself to this, you can end up with a larger skill set than what CS can teach you.

You need experience and a portfolio to show that off. That's all companies really want
>>
>>51706673
It's a question of options. You'll find some doors closed if you don't have that paper.

But college shouldn't just be about the paper.

1) Make connections - find other people in school who look like they're going to succeed, get to know them, have them tell you about job opportunities or vouch for you. Cut out the dead weight, don't hang with losers, but try to avoid making enemies.

2) As a student, you can get free or discounted shit from a lot of companies, take advantage of this.

3) Take internships. Not shitty 'go make copies and get coffee' internships, but basically junior dev at a real company where they teach you but don't expect much.

4) Nothing says you can't work at the same time part-time, or even run your own company on the side.

5) Don't fall for the grad school lies.
>>
Need advice /wdg/

I got approached by someone the other day and got offered the possibility of an internship. Guy seems nice enough. Says he's looking for someone to do some Web dev for his marketing company, dunno if he expects me to make graphic designs or just Web designs he honestly wasn't too clear.

Explains to me that his company uses a CMS similar to word press. I don't know shit about WordPress other then it probably gets frowned upon in the Web dev community when it comes to experience.

I don't have any experience in this field, I have experience in help desk mostly and my school's Web program is laughably bad. I'd like my internship to teach me the most possible. Is it worth looking into working with a CMS that probably won't carry over into another job? Or should I start looking into interning at a firm?

I get the feeling he's trying to jew me into doing graphic, Web design, and once he finds out about my tech support background probably that as well for his small company. While paying me intern wages. What do?

What should I look for in an internship?
>>
>>51707130
Get an internship at a real company, tell this guy to pay you or fuck off.
>>
>>51707130
Similar to wordpress? Find out what the CMS is and take it from there. It could be a number of things, like Drupal, which is still fairly popular.

If he just wants you to intern, then he probably isn't looking for a fullstack developer. When you talk to him again, ask about your responsibilities at the company/what technologies you will be using.

A lot of the technologies will be similar, so you don't have to worry about much, as long as you have experience in a few, your knowledge should be able to carry over.

As for what to look for in an internship, if its your first internship, you don't have to look for much. Find something that will help you improve your skill set. Later on, you wont want something boring and dull. You would want something that is challenging but fun.

Make sure you also aren't getting underpaid. Sure, you might be an intern, but that doesn't mean your work comes at a fraction of the price. You should get paid for the quality of your work, not how long you have been in the field.
>>
>>51707130
Mostly what >>51707201 said, but I'd say it's also up to you, if you feel like being ripped off for a (short?) amount of time for the experience and ability to put it in your CV then go ahead.

Find out more before making a decision.
>>
>>51704870
mine teaches shitty outdated techniques, but it's not exactly a web dev program
>>
Thanks for the responses guys, sorry for the late response. Had to drive across town.

>>51707201
Hmmm Yeah I might be able to try my hand at the hospital nearby, I know some people that work there that would vouche for me.

>>51707236
Yeah I've actually hear Drupal is pretty legit and learning something about it would never hurt. I'm going to ask him for a sit down and hear exactly what he wants while keeping my options.

>>51707239
Exactly.
>>
>>51704870
The only companies that require those degrees are old outdated companies led by dinosaurs that you don't want to work for because basically, to them, you are doing voodoo magic on the mysterybox.

If you want a good job, then build a portfolio and send it to local startups. They will treat you right if you do your job and you most likely won't have to double as the IT person because everyone will know how to computer.
>>
>>51707130
You have two choices:

Get shit done quickly and as lazily as possible or do your best not to sign anything and use the job as an excuse to build your portfolio. I chose the second.
>>
>>51708182
I'm not sure I understand what you mean anon. You're talking just slap shit together and don't care about the quality of code?

and what do you mean by don't sign anything? Contracts?
>>
I have a VPS with a working OS and everything set up. I want to develop a piece of code that when accessed via TCP/IP and HTTP, the VPS is serving a webpage whose content has been generated according to a set of variables passed with the request. What do I need to achieve this? Requirements:
>no scripting, the software should compile (JIT compilation is allowed)
>absolutely no OOP
>must be libre and gratis
I was thinking about Go, as it provides me with the familiar C syntax, but I am not sure if it's mature enough yet.
>>
>>51708250
>You're talking just slap shit together and don't care about the quality of code?
Yes. Give them what they're (not) paying for.
>and what do you mean by don't sign anything? Contracts?
You don't want them to end up owning all your work/making it impossible for you to legally find a new job after you're fed up with them, do you?
>>
>>51708560
are u talking about a website m8
>>
>>51708560
why don't you just do it?
learn Go here: https://tour.golang.org
>>
>>51708560
https://caddyserver.com/
>>
I already know web development basic, how do i do SEO for websites i create?
>>
>>51708572
Oh! I didn't even think of the second part at all! Wait so assholes try to trick you into doing that shit? For how long?
>>
>>51708572
is this common practice where you live?
>>
Learning react currently, which flux should I flux?
>>
File: P_20151205_212318_HDR_1.jpg (2 MB, 3072x3754) Image search: [Google]
P_20151205_212318_HDR_1.jpg
2 MB, 3072x3754
Who's working on something this evening?

Mocking up a web/mobile app I'm going to try building in Ratchet, been working on this for about seven hours
Adding the mockup pages to my portfolio as examples of Photoshop/Illustrator ability
Watching Chinese cartoons
Drinking shitty instant coffee
Doing it in a cabin with no internet access save my phone

How's your Saturday, /wdg/?
>>
File: goodshittumblr.gif (3 MB, 1005x257) Image search: [Google]
goodshittumblr.gif
3 MB, 1005x257
anyone else like to make gag pages in html?
>>
What exactly stops you from making one website for a client and then re-using the same thing and just modifying it slightly for their needs for another client?

Is it really that easy? Because that seems like it would make you tons of money with no work really.
>>
>>51711172
nothing stops you except ethics
people would do that but instead sell it off as a framework tuned by you instead of a project for the client from the ground up.
>>
>>51711294
So can it work?

Could I work hard on some parts of a website for a couple weeks then just keep it and re-use it when possible for another client?

Because I know a whole bunch of people want pretty much identical websites done, using same APIs, same design, everything.
>>
>>51711327
do it
nothing's stopping you but your conscience and the risk of a bad reaction of it's made known what you did. hell, i bet no one will be mad if your prices arent high
>>
>>51711347
Thanks senpai I will.

I used to think even copying someone else's code snippets was "cheating" and doing everything on your own is much more "respectable" but I recently realized no one gives a shit and people just do whatever they want and the ones that tend to make the most usually do that the most as well.
>>
how many people are using letsencrypt
>>
>>51711472
yo. because fuck CAs wanting $300+ for wildcards.

the only thing that's annoying me is SSL security guides suggest generating your own dhparam to avoid logjam, and 4096-bit primes take like an hour to generate, so automating that shit is annoying.

Had to tell myself to stop playing around as devops and get back to actual webdev.
>>
>>51711472
I am.
>>
File: shouting-goose1.jpg (104 KB, 437x640) Image search: [Google]
shouting-goose1.jpg
104 KB, 437x640
There are no fucking jobs where I live, but an ad finally popped up for one. What is the best website to learn PHP within the scope of a few days?

I'm 3 years into a CS degree, so I would prefer a tutorial that just shows the differences in syntax/semantics between PHP and other common blubs instead of one that explains concepts from scratch to someone with no coding background.
>>
>>51713097
>3 years into a CS degree

So you should know 156 programming languages since CS goes through a new language every week so you can add it to your resume.

Seriously though, if you know how to code then you should just be able to Google what you need when you need it. Fizzbuzz requires modulus. Enjoy your job.
>>
>>51711472
I do.
I already screwed up too.

>add 301 redirects from http to https
>add more and more subdomains to certificate
>want to clean up and test automated script
>delete all certificates
>request certificate
>error: too many requests per domain, need to wait 7 days until can get another
>can't server https because missing certificate files
>browser now only remembers 301 and everyone gets redirected to unusable https

feels bad.

Also their client is massively bloated, not sure how to feel about that, I'm kind of disappointed.
>>
Ive been doing web design for about 10 years and ive gotten good enough that i was able to make some good $$$ out of it freelancing for the past 5 years. Im interested in diversifying my skills and going over to the dev side of things but i have no idea where i should start and what technologies i should learn. Ive basically mastered branding, html/css and really basic js.. What do anons here recommend i do next?
>>
>>51714985
Killing yourself sounds about the best next step.
>>
>>51714985
>10 years
>basic js

How did that happen?

Look into ES2015 and MVC frameworks like angular, ember, react and hundreds of others.
>>
>>51715000

Too lazy to try

>>51715005

About half of that time i worked with projects that either didnt require it or worked with someone who took care of that part. The later half was only the time it kind of gradually started to become a necessity.
>>
>>51713097
PHP is basically C if it walked into a barber shop and said "just fuck my shit up senpai" and the barber replied "say no more"

If you know C you can learn PHP in one day, probably less.
>>
Are people using ES6?
>>
>>51715729
transpiled mostly.
>>
File: Capture.png (10 KB, 502x151) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
10 KB, 502x151
Is this some kind of joke, why is it written like this?
>>
>>51715989
what's the problem?
>>
>>51716034
Maybe the extremely poor english and the fact that it's suggesting to disable UAC?
It reeks of shoddy chinese malware.
>>
>>51715729
Transpiled and separate builds for Chrome/FF/Opera through feature detection. As soon as FF44 moves to stable, I can drop the block scoping transformer. Muh performance feels good.
>>
>>51715799
>>51716108
That's way too much work, I'll just keep using 5 until 6 becomes common enough to not be a hassle
>>
>>51716120
>too much work
>literally 1-3 lines in your build script
>>
>>51716146
I don't use a build system

The jokes on me brah
>>
>>51716154
Then how do you modularise and minify?
>>
>>51716163
:^)
>>
>>51716175
>being a shitter that writes everything in one file
:^)
>>
>>51715989
Install it on C:\xampp, otherwise you will have file permission issues.
Chrome installs itself outside of the Program Files folder, because they know better.
>>
File: antiquesmde.jpg (270 KB, 1273x709) Image search: [Google]
antiquesmde.jpg
270 KB, 1273x709
Don't know where else to post this so i'll try here.

Does anybody know where i can find an archive of daily wikipedia xml dumps going back to 2011?

I've tried wikimedia/internet archive.
>>
>>51702729
audio not stopping when I close bootstrap dialog
>>
>>51716146
Also, >not using jspm
>>
>>51716163
He's so hardcore he writes everything minified by hand.
>>
>>51716090
It's also suggesting you to install it somewhere that isn't program files.
>>
>>51716272
>jspm
Looks like a gimped browserify to me.
>>
>>51716282
>he doesn't write minified code
I bet you even comment your code
>>
Currently using Golang do build a backend application. I've no idea how this system is called (last time I did webdev the way to go was PHP+MySQL+Apache) but it gets HTTP requests, does stuff with the PostgreSQL database and returns JSON.

How do I frontend?
>>
File: branding_256.png (6 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
branding_256.png
6 KB, 256x256
Is Brackets a viable program?
>>
>>51716811
(...)
As in, can I use GoLang to do some nice stuff, or is using [framework]JS (I have no idea what the difference is between all these JS frameworks are, I find it very confusing) better?

At the moment, I've never used javascript. I really like GoLang at the moment. I've always been fond of languages that are strict and don't have the synthax 'magic' languages like Python or Ruby have. It's a bit like C, but with actual libraries and luckily no pointer aritmetics.
>>
>>51716307
>Not writing ultra neat, commented code so a prospective employer can view source and see you're a decent developer
I bet you use PHP.
>>
>>51710463
Ben?
>>
>>51710463
>>51717025
>Photoshop
nvm
>>
>>51716882
Last I checked, it was horribly slow.
I'd say you're better off using Atom with gulp and browser-sync.
>>
Is there any elegant way to model collections of data in SQL? Like, a User has a 1:N relation to a Resource but Resources need be referred to with IDs unique and sequential with respect to each User (so that for example Users/1/Resources/1 and Users/2/Resources/1 are different). I'd rather not create tables like user1_resources. A single Resource table possibly with a composite key and some backend logic to resolve its real ID?
>>
>>51717126
Tables:
1. user (id)
2. resource (id)
3. user_resource (user_id, resource_id)
>>
>>51717000
>implying I'd touch PHP even if someone paid for it
>implying I'm not already employed
>implying I'm not praised as the greatest thing since sliced bread by everyone I work with
>implying I don't have headhunters calling me frequently
With the references I have finding a job won't be a problem.

Also java and node for work. I've been fiddling with erlang/elixir lately just for fun.
>>
>>51704920

There is a main issue with using bootstrap, and that's you'll make a site that just looks like every other bootstrap site.
>>
>>51716907
Look into Typescript and some light libraries like Backbone or Mithril.
>>
>>51717000
Dude, I think that's sarcasm.
>>51717278
Good thing somebody keeps you motivated.
>>
PHP is like that cousin you hate but he still shows up every holiday. Get over it, PHP isn't going anywhere any time soon. The bitching and moaning won't help.
>>
>>51718409
Webdev is like pancakes, yellow and warm.
>>
php is shit and if you like php you're probably shit at your job too lol
>>
>>51718960

Yes, let's all gather in a circle and hope PHP dies a horrible death. But until that actually happens, there will be a demand for PHP developers, websites, and web applications. Cry me a river.
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 421x399) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 421x399
>Php is shit
>Java is for indians
>Ruby is for women and faggots
What do you guys use for backend?
>>
>>51718960
>I don't know how to use it so it's shit
Depressing
>>
>>51719298
It doesn't matter what you use. Everyone will hate something

People even shit on Python.

I use Node.js, which will get a lot of flack. I also use Ruby/Rails, which will also get flack. I use Python/Flask which will also likely get flack.
>>
>>51719333
>I use Node.js, which will get a lot of flack
There is no excuse for this
>>
I am a PHP developer who wants to look into other languages that are good for web development and have nice frameworks. What do you recommend? Ruby or Python?
>>
>>51719383
No excuse in what way? I like it. I'm a frontend developer, so I'm very familiar with Javascript. Node.js/Express uses Javascript, so it was a lot faster to get into backend.
>>
>>51719392

oh and if python which version? 2 or 3?
>>
>>51719298
I'm using asp.net.
And the latest version even runs on linux, so I could scrap my windows server.
>>
>>51719298
PHP.

Can't complain. It does exactly what I need it to do.
>>
>>51719592
Not him.
Does it run natively or do you have to use some third party environments like Mono? I wanted to learn C# a while ago but there was no way of running asp on Linux (unless you ported your app to Mono which makes no sense to me)
>>
>>51719298
>implying anyone in here does actual work
>>
>>51719639
you need mono if you want the full framework.
CoreCLR is multiplatform and runs on its own.
https://github.com/aspnet/home

so far I've only run the full framework with mono to test how older webapi projects run.
>>
don't use girly languages
>>
>>51716252
thanks, I'll add this as an option
>>
>>51719841
such as?
>>
>>51719969
well people attack C++, PHP, but other ones like Ruby sound like they have been made to attract 12yo girls to programming
>>
>>51719988
and why is that?
>>
>>51720008
I also don't understand people attacking c++, php. it sounds like they just find it hard to handle
>>
>>51702604
post some Source?
>>
>>51719841
>>51719988
Ruby is a girly language?

How so?
>>
>>51702604
too scared to post link b/c I'm not great with security and people will hack me.
>>
Does it matter if I got paid for website I made that I put in my portfolio?

As in, can I just make a bunch of stupid websites for myself that show off all the shit I can do? Or will an employer want to only see stuff I got paid to do?
>>
>>51719392
Erlang/elixir is the future. It's kinda new and small in web right now but erlang is awesome and has proved to work well with communication stuff.
>>
>>51720585
anything is fine if you made it.
>>
>>51720593

interesting, I remember reading about it, but I'll take a closer look at it.
>>
>>51720636
What's the cheapest way to host a shitty website that I make?
>>
>>51720823
github pages
>>
>>51720847
thanks pal
>>
>>51720164
I'll probably post it tomorrow or later tonight. I'm redoing a lot of it at the moment lol.

>>51720499
Whats the function of your site? You don't have to give out the URL.
>>
File: 1444765887849.jpg (51 KB, 960x490) Image search: [Google]
1444765887849.jpg
51 KB, 960x490
>mfw learning javascript withouth using any library
>>
>>51722013
man, you r so edgy
>>
>>51722013
Git gud
>>
I'm >>51702729
how do I promote my website? people keep telling me that it's good, yet still I don't have any userbase
I've been posting links with funny memes, people will just hear/see the stuff I post and don't even check the homepage :/
are the "share" pages too ugly or something? how do you guys promote your websites without being banned?

>>51720823
openshift is free, as in beer and as in freedom
>>
>>51719298
C# and Node.js.
Go looks promising, but its dependency management is utter shit at the moment, which makes it hard for me to really get into it properly.
>>
>>51719988
>C++
Is C++ even viable as a web backend language?
>>
What are proper html folder permissions?

Also what is the best way to store database login info? All the files where I work just store it at the top of the php file or in an inc.php file.
>>
>>51722779
Not the guy you're responding to, but yeah it is. At my old company, we had a C++ backend for the web application.
>>
>>51722598
http://www.nask.co/hear/4KB67p1OPw
>>
>>51722598
>openshift is free

What's the catch? There's always one. Are you restricted to an .openshift domain name?
>>
>>51719298
Go
>>
>>51723076
https://www.openshift.com/pricing/plan-comparison.html

Read the FAQ, can't see anything terrible there, but no mention about bandwidth or speeds, probably very limited.
>>
>>51722920
thanks. I guess I really need to ask frontend people for help, because I have no idea how to make it more user friendly, tbqh

>>51723076
>What's the catch? There's always one. Are you restricted to an .openshift domain name?
https://www.openshift.com/pricing/
it's redhat's cloud service, they use amazon. for free users, they restrict you to 3 instances(? "gears"): 1 CPU, 512MB of RAM and 1GB of storage spaceand 1 public port per "gear". to use it you have to understand the documentation, otherwise it will be a mess
google for more examples on how to use your favorite framework with openshift
>>
>>51723194
Hey, is it open source? I'm doing some frontend stuff, and if you need a better looking site, I can help out .
>>
Any tips and guidelines for Laravel?Where do you recommend I start?
>>
>>51723585
Some other language.
>>
>>51723604
Don't start with memes.
>>
>>51723429
>is it open source
not yet, not sure if I will open-source it. for now, I'll keep adding stuff. if the site isn't successful as I'd expect, I'll open source it, so I can get a job...
anyway, the backend is relatively simple, and the tools I'm using are all free and open-source

>I'm doing some frontend stuff, and if you need a better looking site, I can help out
I just need some advice/references on how to improve the UI/make these pages more user friendly: http://www.nask.co/hear/Rw6PSOq9vQ and http://nask.co/see/8Is9gmuwnx
right now I'm only using bootstrap. I want to keep it simple.
>>
>>51723628
>I want to keep it simple.
or, rather, I'd prefer to keep it simple.

>>51723154
afaiu, no limits whatsoever. it's like the $5 digitalocean plan, without 20GB, without root account/complete control, and otherwise unrestricted
>>
What does "enterprise" means in web dev?
>>
>>51723799
C# .NET + ASP .NET

Typically SharePoint + some Oracle integration
>>
>>51723811
and its always mean something related to .NET framework?
what languages does ASP covers?
>>
>>51722876

As restrictive as possible. Execution should only be allowed for Apache and never allowed in upload folders.

DB info should be stored in a central config file that is outside of the document root (ie not in the website folder).
>>
I never understood, can Python be used for backend just like php for example?
How do these languages can be used to communicate with server/database and to do other unrelated stuff too? Why cant i do server-side with C or javascript?
>>
>>51724177
But anon you can do back end with pretty much any language.
>>
>>51724216
But how is that possible? :( I always imagined that in order to communicate with server the language needs some specific stuff inside it.
And now you tell me that pretty much every language already has it?
>>
>>51724177
>>51724260
one example: django
>>
>>51724177
You CAN do server side with Javascript (Node.js) and likely with C/C++. I'm not familiar with it, but I'm certain there there is probably a framework or something that will help you do backend with those languages.

And yes, Python can be used for backend. ITs fairly popular. Django is one of the most popular frameworks for Python.

>>51724260
Its fairly complicated, but most languages, at least modern ones, can talk to a database of some sort.
>>
>>51724177
google "python wgsi"
>>
>>51724288
>Its fairly complicated
I'm interested in how does this thing works , I mean I want to know how does the whole path/communication between commands in language and server goes.
>>
>>51702604
Trying to fix all the spaghetti shitcode of my radio thing
>>
>>51724260
Anything with support for sockets can be used to make websites without help from other applications.
>>
>>51724455
where can I learn about sockets and that technology? Any tips or books? Anything really , I'd appreciate
>>
>>51724580
"socket <your language>"
>>
>>51703453
Angular has a bit of a learning curve... c# if you've ever object oriented you basically know them all.
>>
>>51703467
hide the input and tie your button to trigger the event, or style your input to look like a button as >>51704505 suggested. Also it's totally possible to initialize datepicker on a div or span.
>>
>>51717324
I typically just use bootstrap as a RWD template and customize from there all it takes is a little css.
>>
How the fuck do I get css applying properly to iframes in Chrome?

>inb4 iframes
>>
>>51724866
Have you tried setting yourself on fire yet
>>
>>51724177

Yes, quite easily. Try Django. I use it at work for all of my projects, it is really great.

Here is a personal project I worked on recently:

https://github.com/erm/iwctxt
http://iwctxt.com

I used Nginx and uwsgi-emperor to deploy. There are a lot of different options for deployment, that is probably the most difficult part, but there is a lot of good information out there.
>>
>>51723799
>>51723811 is somewhat correct, but it could also be Java EE.
>>
>>51724177
i like flask
>>
>>51724960
So why uwsgi-emperor as opposed to the other modes?

Uwsgi has a stupid number of options, I can't imagine they're all used or tested. I mean, it does WSGI fine, but it's also got cron, caching, routing, HTTP, spooler/task runner, and a bunch of other shit shoved in it.

>>51726342
Flask is good if you're doing something simple. Once you've got a complex DB schema, sessions, middleware and other stuff, I start using Django because the work's been done already.
>>
>>51723585

The official docs
>>
>>51724866
Replace the iframes with Ajax.
>>
File: leoture3_1389966694.gif (241 KB, 1162x839) Image search: [Google]
leoture3_1389966694.gif
241 KB, 1162x839
>>51702604
making a scoop bucket.
http://scoop.sh is a package manager for windows.
here is mine:https://github.com/mgarbvs/scoop-bucket
>>
So apparently almost every popular SQL variant has native JSON support now. How the hell do I get that data as say: an associative array in PHP without using json_decode()? What about other languages? Not seeing any obvious answers for Perl's DBI either.
>>
>>51724960
>420chan's /wooo/

wat
>>
inb4 archived
>>
>>51728345
It always slows down at this time
>>
http://www.nask.co/see/aLL8VC9lSE
lel
>>
As someone who recently began self-learning html and css , i am having trouble understanding exactly what display: table; is in css. Knowing some history i udnerstand layouts were made with tables, but i dont know what this is as i dont know what this really means.
If only i could have access to some kind of dictionary that simpy describes what display : table ; means and all the properties it includes.... i keep running into people saying oh its just like tables. Well i dont know what tables are or their properties besides cant i just have the css definition?

can anyone help?
>>
>>51723799
Java EE from my experience.
>>
>>51722876
honestly, the best way is to not store the user information... look into oAuth.
>>
>>51727583
Anyone?
>>
>>51729484
ask >>>/g/dpt
>>
function add(firstName, lastName, email, phoneNumber){
contacts[contacts.length] {
firstName: firstName,
lastName: lastName,
email: email,
phoneNumber: phoneNumber
}
}

add("AAA", "BBB", "CCC", "666");
list();

What's wrong with this code? Says syntax error but I don't see it.
>>
>>51729995
>contacts[contacts.length] {
what do you want to do here?
>>
>>51730016
creating an object into the next index of an array.
>>
>>51730016
Ohhh I just got it...
>=
>>
>>51730075
> contacts=[]
[]
> contacts.push("asd")
> contacts
["asd"]
>>
hey, would janitors/mods ban me in /g/ if I talk about my website?
>>
>>51730302
would hope so
>>
>>51730314
:(
ok..
>>
>>51729081
When in doubt check MDN.

What display table does is that it tells the element to behave like a table would even though it isn't an actual table. As tables should be used to only display tabular data it's a way to get the behaviour of a table without having to use tables for the layout.

It doesn't do much by itself but is used in conjunction giving it's children some display: table-* properties that change the way those elements behave. It's getting less useful now since flexbox can do most of the stuff you'd use display table for just as well or even better.
>>
>tables are bad
>uses css classes that emulate tables
okay

They are bad. But it was 2005.
>>
>>51726368

I use emperor because it is (thus far) the best means of mutli-app deployment I've found. Anytime I want to deploy a new app on my server it is as simple as:

>Clone app into my apps directory
>Copy uwsgi-emperor vassal skeleton
>Change variable names in skeleton and point to app directory
>Create corresponding site in nginx sites-enabled

And every time I update the app, it is as simple as
sudo touch /etc/uwsgi-emperor/vassals/iwctxt.ini
and it gracefully reloads the app.
>>
>>51730016

Looks like he's trying to append the object to the end of an array outside of the function.
>>
>>51730658
Ah, didn't realize you were doing multi-app deployment. That makes sense then. I usually run one VM, one app, just for isolation purposes.
>>
Anybody here ever used Ratchet? I've never made a web app before and it seems like a good idea to be able to build web and mobile app at the same time.
>>
>>51730571
Tables aren't bad. Using tables for anything that isn't tabular data is semantically bad. Using them for layouts is bad for various other reasons besides semantics.

However sometimes you want elements to behave like table-cells(or other table elements) even when they aren't in a table or don't have tabular data in them. There are various legit use cases for using them, the last time I used css tables was last week. I'll gladly take 3 lines of css that make the elements behave exactly as I want to instead of spending my time finding an alternative way to do the same thing.

Flexbox will help a bit in this regard and does some things even better than css tables would do. But as long as we have to support older browsers that isn't happening.
>>
>>51730302
As in advertising or asking for help with it?
>>
>start learning html +css
>website looks pretty fucking good
>looks like shit on smaller sized resolutions

how do i stop this?
>>
im workin on a lil project and this shit is giving me an error when i insert some values into my database even though everything links up ok to me
it says that the @smokingOption has an incorrect syntax but i cant see why or how
//define ado.net objects
string insertSQL;
insertSQL = "INSERT INTO ReservationForm_1 (";
insertSQL += "arrivalDate, numNights, numAdults, numChildren, roomTypeBusiness, roomTypeSuite, roomTypeStandard, bedTypeKing, bedTypeDouble, ";
insertSQL += "smokingOption, ";
insertSQL += "specialRequests, name, email )";
insertSQL += "VALUES (";
insertSQL += "@arrivalDate, @numNights, @numAdults, @numChildren, @roomTypeBusiness, @roomTypeSuite, @roomTypeStandard, @bedTypeKing, @bedTypeDouble ";
insertSQL += "@smokingOption, ";
insertSQL += "@specialRequests, @name, @email)";

SqlConnection con = new SqlConnection(connectionString);
SqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand(insertSQL, con);

//add parameters
cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@arrivalDate", arrivalDate);
cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@numNights", numNights);
cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@numAdults", numAdults);
cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@numChildren", numChildren);
cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@roomTypeBusiness", roomTypeBusiness);
cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@roomTypeStandard", roomTypeStandard);
cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@roomTypeSuite", roomTypeSuite);
cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@bedTypeKing", bedTypeKing);
cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@bedTypeDouble", bedTypeDouble);
cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@smokingOption", smokingOption);
cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@specialRequests", specialRequests);
cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@name", name);
cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@email", email);
>>
>>51733090
pls respond.
>>
>>51733090
Responsive design, my friend. Find a HTML+CSS framework that's set up to be responsive, then modify it.
>>
>>51733171

depends.

for one, try setting the viewport

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1, minimum-scale=1, maximum-scale=1, user-scalable=no, minimal-ui">

also look up mobile-first design, media queries, EM sizing, vertical rhythm, etc.
>>
>>51733186
so shitty bootstrap?

theres no way to do it with css only?

i dont want to learn bootstrap... my website finally looks a lot better. I made so much progress
>>
>>51733099
You are missing a comma before it and after bedTypeDouble
>>
>>51733099
Get a linter so you can catch syntax problems right away
The best ones will even tell you where the problem is
>>
>>51733221
jesus im dumb. thanks anon
>>51733224
this sounds cool, what should i look up? just linter?
>>
>>51733221
>>51733099
Usually when you get a syntax error for SQL, it's right before the reported word.
>>
>>51733201

protip: frameworks are for people who can't webdev

you can do it in pure css

see this:

>>51733193
>>
>>51733201
>theres no way to do it with css only?
Bootstrap is CSS.
>i dont want to learn bootstrap...
There really isn't a lot to learn, spend like 30-60 minutes going over the site's examples of the things you need. The important thing is that you should use SASS or LESS to customize it and remove everything you don't need.
>>
>>51733201
Yes, you can do it with CSS + your current HTML. But it's a pain, which is why I suggested using an existing framework. Doesn't have to be Bootstrap. There's Foundation, Materialize, Semantic UI, Pure.

At least look at an existing one and see how they made it responsive.
>>
>>51733257

learning from bootstrap if you don't even know CSS is a bad idea.

you should start with the basics and move your way up. SASS or LESS are good once you actually know CSS.

frameworks are good once you're building sites big enough to even need them.

otherwise it's major overkill.
>>
>>51733235
thanks for the tip. i havent done a lot in sql so this is pretty new to me still
>>
>>51733272
>current year
>wasting time learning CSS
why
>>
>>51733238
Frameworks are for people who's time is too valuable for them to reinvent the wheel every time they do something. Writing your own responsive grid and all the other shit from scratch is fine if you're a neet living in your mom's basement but if you have to do actual work it's much better to have a framework you know well so you don't have to do the same shit every single time you're starting something.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.