[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly GNU Plus Linux thread.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33
File: Grand Theft Gentoo.jpg (616 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Grand Theft Gentoo.jpg
616 KB, 1920x1080
Old thread is slowing down.

Intended for users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are three ways to try GNU plus Linux, you can:

1) Install a GNU plus Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
2) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU plus Linux experience".
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU plus Linux (very recommended, for your freedom)

If you are serious about switching to GNU plus Linux and if you have Windows dual-booted (recommended for pure newbies),
we recommend you use it exclusively for 2 weeks, and avoid Windows dual booting for that period of time, or it's
likely you will start retreating back to windows instead of getting used to GNU plus Linux as your new home and working on
making it feel the way you want it.

>Recommended for beginners:
-SourceMage (http://beta.sourcemage.ru)
-Trisquel [Recommended]
-Suicide GNU plus Linux

Before asking, please find the answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU plus Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe wine can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
your friendly neighborhood search engine
>>>/g/sqt
https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/learn-the-command-line
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/
>>
What is GNU plus Linux?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux

Babby's First GNU plus Linux (What GNU plus Linux distro to choose?)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

What software does /g/ recommend? (Please DON'T include the so called infographic -- refer all your recommended software here.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software

Ricing on GNU plus Linux (Make it good and functional or make it worse like those at desktop threads)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing

A script designed to ease the transition from Windows to Debian
https://github.com/Chocolate-Chip-Computing/DebianNewbieScript [CREATED BY A FURRY BRONY FAGGOT]

We now have an entry in the install Gentoo wiki!
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php//flt/

IRC No one uses:
irc://irc.freenode.org:+7000/FriendlyLinux [CREATED BY SAME FURRY BRONY FAGGOT]
>>
how can i hack the gibson
>>
does anyone have experience with Microsoft Visual Studios on GNU Linux? I know it's proprietary, but my Assembly courses require it. It is the only thing holding me back from committing my desktop fully.
>>
File: g600.jpg (145 KB, 1500x1169) Image search: [Google]
g600.jpg
145 KB, 1500x1169
I just installed arch, nvidia drivers, and a greeter, but i looks like my logitech G600 mouse has a problem with linux where it sends multiple scancodes on each click and release of its main buttons. The result of this is that left clicking, right clicking, or middle clicking all move the mouse cursor to a specific X coordinate on the screen, making it impossible to do anything with a mouse.

I've tried all the steps In this blog post documenting somebody else working through the same problem[1], and in this wiki article[2] but neither of them worked, nor did further experimentation and tweaking.

Does anybody have a G600 working on arch or know of a way to fix this bug?

[1] martins-prolog.blo[delete]gspot.com/2014/09/logitech-g600-in-arch-linux.html

[2] wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/All_Mouse_Buttons_Working
>>
>>51698336
Does the mouse work in other distros?
>>
>>51698407
I haven't tried in other distros as this is the only linux box I have access to right now, but checking google it looks like this is a problem everywhere for the g600 and some other logitech mice.
>>
>>51698430
Try removing systemd and installing OpenRC
>>
I'm trying to get sublime-text working on Gentoo, I have added a layman repo I found for it, and running layman -a sublime-text returns

Repository 'sublime-text' was already installed 

But when I try to install it using emerge (apparently under app-editor/sublime-text), it says it can't find it.

What am I doing wrong?
>>
>>51698473
After installing an overlay, you can install packages from it by running:
 emerge -av <category>/<package> 

Portage automatically searches your Gentoo main tree (in /usr/portage ) and all of the overlays that you've installed, and picks the latest version of the package that it can find.

If Portage isn't picking up the package from the overlay, that's normally because the package is marked ~arch, where "arch" is the architecture of your computer. You'll need to keyword the package as explained in the Gentoo Handbook.
>>
Hey, for the past week and a bit I've been having issues with random fteezes with no logs dumped anywhere.

CPU: i5 6500
Motherboard: ASRock H170M
Ram: Patriot PC4-1700

I've used kernels 4.2,4.3 and 4.4rc3 due to help from here. Today I bought a dedicated graphics card (r9 390) and so far I haven't had the same problems. I'll give a heads up if it fucks up again or I'll come back in a week if everything's fine.
>>
>>51698621
>HEADLINE
AMD GPU stabilizes system, Nvidiots on suicide watch!
>>
hey boys i heard it was possible to sideload the rom loader off the flash eeprom
>>
>>51698685
You can install the kernel hypervisor on the Gibson's micro-controller.
>>
How long would installing Gentoo take on a T23 (from 2001)?
>>
>>51698771
You really don't want to know. Single programs can take hours as it is.
>>
>>51698771
Depends. If you get everything pre-compiled, then no compiling time would be involved.
However, emerge chromium, and you'll stay at that for dayssss
>>
>>51698771
install it and see tbhs smhs senpaitachi
>>
>>51699014
f a m s turns into senpaitachi?
senpaitachi
>>
What are some recommendations to follow before dual booting? I got quite familiar with arch in a VM and would like to gradually switch completely but I fear I might fuckup something if I installed it along windows, mainly regarding bootloaders.
>>
>>51699106
Here are some general tips.
>Always install GNU/Linux after Windows or prepare to repair a broken GRUB
>GRUB is the program that starts instead of the OS, then it is possible to select a kernel (and the os with it) and start it from there
>GRUB should be able to probe around your HDD/SSD and find all the operating systems on it, then add those to a menu automatically.
>If you want to gradually transfer to GNU/Linux, then it helps if you place GNU/Linux as the first entry.
>Always remember you can rice GRUB
>>
>>51697929
>GNU plus Linux
I use Alpine faggot.
>>
>>51699287
Alpine GNU pus Linux*
>>
>>51699401
Alpine doesn't use GNU coreutils, glibc, and any GNU tools. So I won't call it GNU plus Linux.
>>
>>51699287
this is a GNU/Linux thread, not a Linux thread
>>
>>51699511
This is /flt/, not /fglt/ faggot.
>>
>>51699486
Fair enough.
>>
>>51699562
/flt/ - Friendly GNU Plus Linux thread.
>>
Has anyone here used GNU's IceCat web browser? Is it even functional enough for everyday use?
>>
>>51699630
it's a forked firefox that's modded a bit, it's currently based on Firefox 38 I think, so yeah it's perfectly usable.
>>
>>51699630
Everything GNU is not functional, it's not usable at all. It has piece of shit LibreJS.
>>
File: why.jpg (3 MB, 3000x1920) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
3 MB, 3000x1920
Is the crap above and below my left monitor normal? I'd like to get rid of that static crap as you can see a bit of the static at the top of the monitor.
>>
>>51699659
I mean, they don't allow non-free addons I think, like they force you to use the libre-alternatives of shit like flash and javascript and other stuff.

>>51699678
Yeah, I knew that the libre-implementation of flash was shit, didn't know how LibreJS worked.
>>
>>51699763
can you disable librejs? i don't bother with flash anymore.
>>
>>51699799
I have no idea, that's why I was asking if anyone had any experience with the browser.

If I can't properly navigate shit like my banking and brokerage websites or the various sites I use to pay my bills every month (cable/internet, electricity, gas, water, credit card, etc.) then it'd be pretty much worthless to me and would only get used as a novelty from time to time.
>>
So I'm running Funtoo and I compiled Firefox from source with the 'system-cairo' flag enabled, but it crashes all the time and produces no dumps or anything where I can look to see the cause, performance is also notably worse than the binary version. Anyone have any idea why? I'm recompiling it now without system-cairo to see if that fixes anything.

>>51699863
LibreJS is just an extension, you can probably disable it in the addons panel. Try it and find out.
>>
I'm using Debian Sid on my shitty lenovo laptop. When i shutdown, the fans etc turn off but the screen light stays on. I have to press the power button every time in order to shut it down properly. I had the same problem with Jessie. Any help?
>>
>>51699891
I might give it a shot. It's not in my distro's repositories though so I'd need to compile it from source and I honestly don't think it'll be worth the effort.
>>
>>51699931
Ah, yeah. Why were you looking at IceCat in particular?
>>
>>51699758
It only occured on screenshots, right?
>>
>>51699758
You: Xorg?
Xorg: Yes?
You: Just fuck my shit up
>>
>>51699945
I can see about a pixel of the stuff at the top of my left monitor, which is why I took the screenshot, but the bottom and most of the top only shows up on screenshots.
>>
>>51699942
No reason other than I got bored last night and was just reading about some different firefox derivatives on wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Web_browsers_based_on_Firefox
>>
>>51699967
Maybe because of monitor resolutions.
>>
>>51699967
it's just junk in the framebuffer that doesn't get cleaned up because it's off-screen

some screenshot programs will clean that up automatically, some don't
>>
File: what.png (2 MB, 3000x1920) Image search: [Google]
what.png
2 MB, 3000x1920
>>51700052
Maybe. Screenfetch is telling me that I have a 3000x1920 resolution, so it's counting that extra space.

What's odd is that I can get rid of the visible stuff by playing around with XFCE settings, but on reboot it comes back after login. Maybe lightdm is messing something up?

>>51700103
That's interesting. Oddly enough I can see some github in the junk but on this login I haven't even visited the site.
>>
>>51700133
LightDM can revert the settings, IIRC.
>>
Can any newsbeuter users explain to me why this highlight rule doesn't work?
highlight-article "title # \"/flt/\"" white red bold

It was working this morning when I was using '/fog/' as a test case with a /vg/ feed, and I changed it to /flt/ and left it at that. Now it isn't working at all.
>>
File: 21911_yotsuba.jpg (420 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
21911_yotsuba.jpg
420 KB, 1920x1200
I'm an idiot and decided I was ready to switch to Debian from Ubuntu, and in the end I don't think I was. I can't get wifi to work, even though I followed the tutorial for installing the correct module for my laptop's wifi card, but I ran into a problem where it is telling me to use modprobe commands to reinsert driver modules, but modprobe seemed to be completely absent from my machine. tried locate modprobe in the console and nothing was found, searched around for people with similar problems and someone said you just had to reinstall module-init-tools, which I did, and now locate modprobe gives results, but modprobe commands still aren't working. Would appreciate help.
>>
>>51700564
Good, use Ubuntu instead. It's functional.
>>
>>51697929
You are using sudo or su, right? modprobe is in /usr/sbin, which won't be part of your unprivileged user's $PATH.
>>
I have an HD 6670 graphics card. Is fglrx better, or would I be better off with MESA? I can't find anything definitive with google.
>>
>>51700564
Should have just installed from the nonfree ISO and saved a lot of headaches.
>>
>>51700821
You're right, I should have.
>>
what does rm -rf / do
>>
>>51702085
permissions allowing, it will delete every file it can, rendering your system unusable.
>>
>>51702171
I know, but how does the command itself work?
rm is delete, I know that.
What is -rf and what is /?
>>
>>51702590
read the manpage
man rm

It's all explained there
>>
File: loginissue.png (100 KB, 800x573) Image search: [Google]
loginissue.png
100 KB, 800x573
I installed lightdm on arch, and I'm trying to use lightdm-webkit-greeter or lightdm-webkit2-greeter. However both of them have a problem where the <select> boxes are rendering as GTK select boxes instead of the styled html ones.

The pic shows how its supposed to look on the left, and how it actually looks on the right.

This isn't just the theme or just lightdm-webkit2-greeter, because using lightdm-webkit-greeter with a different theme results in the same problem as well.
>>
I just installed Kali on my laptop to fuck around for a while.

I have no Wi-Fi.

I read that I should download compat-wireless but that apparently changed to compat-drivers and then to backports.

Now I don't know if I should even install (compile?) that.
>>
>>51702976
Let me add a bit more info
root@kali:~# ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr d0:bf:9c:89:f9:25
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 7a:d7:5f:12:6b:62
inet addr:172.20.10.2 Bcast:172.20.10.15 Mask:255.255.255.240
inet6 addr: fe80::78d7:5fff:fe12:6b62/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:22925 errors:0 dropped:1 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:16875 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:27083373 (25.8 MiB) TX bytes:1620551 (1.5 MiB)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:65536 Metric:1
RX packets:20 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:20 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:1200 (1.1 KiB) TX bytes:1200 (1.1 KiB)

root@kali:~# iwconfig
eth0 no wireless extensions.

eth1 no wireless extensions.

lo no wireless extensions.

root@kali: lspci | grep "Network"
01:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM43142 802.11b/g/n (rev 01)
>>
>>51697929
Why is it that Unity has the least amount of tearing compared to every other DE that I've used?
>>
>>51698259
Install Gentoo
>>
>>51703347
Mir probably has some sane vsync defaults. But it's not like stopping tearing in any DE is difficult.
>>
>>51697929
lol ur banned in wiki
>>
Got a bit of technical question here: is there a way to block specific IPs/domains (and IPs preferably by using ranges, like 192.168.0.0/24) without dnsmasq, named (bind) or iptables?

I'd rather not "play" with with DNS, I just want to deny connections to and from specified addresses. I've read about hosts.deny, but the distribution I'm currently testing (archlinux) doesn't have that file nor has it a manual page regarding that.

TLDR: simple way to block IPs/domains
>>
>>51704389
/etc/hosts
>>
Is SourceMage worth trying? I'm a bit afraid that the community is too small and it would be hard to get answers.
>>
>>51705268
anyone able to help?
>>
>>51705461
It's a joke. Don't ever listen to this shithead. He just lost a war in the wiki.
>>
File: 1425143417096.jpg (82 KB, 484x471) Image search: [Google]
1425143417096.jpg
82 KB, 484x471
so
according to the ricing wiki its possible to access files without a file manager
how would one go about this
>>
>just finished installing gentoo
Didn't actually take as long as I expected on my T420, all done and logged into xfce in about 12 hours.
>>
>>51705539
Using terminal obviously.
>>
>>51705539
Depends, what file do you want to access?
>>
>>51705506
Yep, I know. I just went to their site and it seemed quite sane to me. So I thought that if I like Gentoo, then maybe I'll like this thing too.
>>
>>51705560
the length of time necessary to install gentoo is usually grossly overstated, because anyone willing to shitpost about it probably hasn't done it.
>>
Is there a way to turn off the machine and make the bios think is hibernating? I want it to make it wake on Lan but it can only use it when it is in a S4 state.

Everything works from Windows but I don't want to use that shot anymore.
>>
>>51705672
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wake-on-LAN
>>
>>51705090
but does that do ranges?
>>
/g/, help

Tried both Debian Testing and Jessie and they've given me nothing but headaches. I'm ready to throw in the towel. Which distro works best with proprietary nvidia drivers? Nouveau hates my card. I was considering Ubuntu or Mint...
>>
>>51706013
The official nvidia drivers work great on Funtoo.
>>
Kodi has stopped working suddenly on my Ubuntu 15.10 installation. I tried purging removing and re installing. It just will not launch. How can I view a log of errors as out launched to see what's broken? Thanks!
>>
>>51706054
That's a joke, right? I'm a total newcomer. Aren't Gentoo and Arch pretty much the hardest distros to deal with?
>>
>>51706087
Wait untill you LFS.
>>
so is lo/g/os a meme? Looks like its' just an easy arch install that you can customize right off the bat?
>>
>>51706013
>Which distro works best with proprietary nvidia drivers?
I'd say *buntu LTS releases.

They have large userbases and the kernel/xorg version doesn't change often so they usually have just a script that does everything for you.
>>
>>51706212
Thanks. Guess I'll give Unity a try, if I don't like it I'll just install XFCE. Is it hard to get rid of the amazon spyware stuff?
>>
>>51706087
I feel like Gentoo is misunderstood (because of memes). It's not a hard distro to work with, but it is overwhelming. Emerge is one of the smoothest package managers I've ever used. It gets a bad rep from lazy people who want their hands held, even though the documentation is top notch and tells you everything you need to know to get an operable system and more. My system has been nothing but stable, and I've seriously not had an single issue with my nvidia driver and xorg, mainly because I made sure nouveau wouldn't be introduced into my system in any way.

Not a fan of Arch though.
>>
>>51706239
>Is it hard to get rid of the amazon spyware stuff?
Just flip a switch in the settings menu
>>
>>51706087
Gentoo is not hard, it's time to wait is too damn long. And it uses hipster init like OpenRC, a piece of shit. Arch is technically and arguably better.
>>
>>51706362
what's "hipster" about using openrc? you sounds really ridiculous.
>>
>>51706198
is this really still being developed?
>>
>>51706442
LOL. Who the hell uses piece of shit "OpenRC" besides Gentoo? NOTHING. All distros use systemd which is functional and better.
>>
>>51706198
What the fuck is lo/g/os?
>>
File: 1444095244298.jpg (296 KB, 1024x826) Image search: [Google]
1444095244298.jpg
296 KB, 1024x826
>>51706506
boring
>>
>>51706516
it was a failed /g/ project that promised an out of the box riced Arch installation. they were developing an app alongside it that would fetch ricing configs from a repo for easy sharing and configuration. it was an alright concept if you're into the ricing bullshit, but like most /g/ projects it died quickly. you can find the repos if you google.
>>
I want to try a LFS but my craptop can't handle VMs. How small of a partition can I get away with to set up LFS?
>>
>>51706583
I'd go with at least 30gb
>>
>>51706566
But does it actually work at all?
>>
>>51707123
>>51707024
To whomever asked.
>>
>>51697929

I need to install uvc_driver.c on an arm machine (ODROID) so I can get a USB device working on it. The aptitude repo doesn't have the linux headers for our kernel version, so I'm currently attempting the generic headers.
If the driver isn't in there would there be any issue with manually downloading a copy of it? And if so, where am I supposed to compile it to get the driver working correctly?
>>
Hey /g/, GNU/Linux noob here.

Is it possible to leave only / and, at tops, swap in one drive, and move /home and anything else to another?

I wanna dualboot Kubuntu 10.15 (for that gorgeous Plasma 5 DE) with Windows 10 on my SSD, but as you'd expect space is at a premium.

I do have space at another drive, but I feel it's gonna be too slow and unresponsive. Would rather install the core of the OS in the SSD and keep everything else in a separate drive.
>>
>>51707317
i don't know how flexible the partition manager is in the kubuntu installation tool but it's definitely feasible through the terminal.
>>
>>51707317
Yes.
>>
>>51705643
About 6 years ago I tried installing gentoo as my first ever linux distro. I spent a few hours going over the instructions and followed it basically word for word. I went through all the steps; optimizing my kernel, compiling everything, chrooting into the new system and configuring shit.. then I rebooted, logged in, and quickly discovered that I didn't install any compatible wireless drivers. I really didn't know shit about linux so I had no clue how to get them on the system. I ended up just wiping the hard drive and installing Ubuntu instead...

Looking back that was probably for the best because I would've been in WAY over my head trying to figure linux out while running Gentoo.
>>
>>51707350
>>51707353
I see. What would you recommend keeping in the SSD and what is okay to mount in a separate hard drive?
>>
>>51707363
you could've booted back into the rescue media you used to bootstrap the system initially, mounted your partitions, and chrooted so you could emerge the wireless drivers, but hindsight's 20/20.
>>
>>51707367
/ at SSD, /home at HDD
>>
The botnet is on Unity and not on the kernel or anything? I really liked Lubuntu and I'd use the shit out of it.

>also taking suggestions on how to have it free and Stallman approved, if this is capable on Lubuntu
>>
>>51707452
If you want a Stallman approved Ubuntu derivative you have to use Trisquel.

https://trisquel.info/
>>
>>51707394
Yeah, I know that now but I honestly had no idea what I was doing back then. I'd never used linux at all and the CLI was completely foreign to me. The only way I got it installed in the first place was by following the installation manual verbatim. I had no clue what any of the commands I had used actually did. Once I got it all booted up and realized that I'd forgotten wireless drivers that was pretty much the last straw because I couldn't see my experience getting any better going forward.
>>
File: 1449049272913.png (4 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1449049272913.png
4 KB, 800x800
>>51707499
>Latest release: 7.0 / November 3, 2014; 12 months ago
>>
>>51707437
Thanks.
>>
>>51707538
Haha yeah, one of my first times installing Gentoo I was up pretty late and forgot to passwd in the chroot before I rebooted and found myself unable to login. I came really close to saying fuck it and wiping it in frustration.
>>
>>51697929
can you install xf86-video-amdgpu on fedora yet?
>>
File: imageedit_9_9224690597.gif (358 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
imageedit_9_9224690597.gif
358 KB, 640x360
>>51703091
Hello there, it seems we share the exact same wireless chip
Although I havent used debian derivatives as much, I can tell all you need is:
1. b43-firmware-classic
2. broadcom-wl
Just werks for Arch
>>
File: screenFetch-2015-12-06_00-37-23.png (217 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2015-12-06_00-37-23.png
217 KB, 1600x900
Welp, LFS next I guess.
>>
>>51707829
Getting a girlfriend is next, anon
>>
>>51707840
Married and have 2 kids already. I need to find some distractions from the monotony.
>>
>>51707829
I wonder if I'll ever be masochistic enough to follow you into the LFS abyss.
>>
>>51707968
>LFS-BOOK-7.8-systemd.pdf

Nevermind.
>>
>>51707939
bet ya regret not being NEET and having a 2D waifu, huh?
>>
>>51707620
guise?
>>
How do I set my default alsa INPUT device in .asoundrc?
>>
>>51707367
I also recommend putting /var and your swap (if you have one) on HDD
>>
>>51698430
I have no issues with my G502 or G602 on Mint or Ubuntu. I was going to try Arch out, but never got around to it.

I think my brother was having issues with his G9x, but honestly his mouse is just falling apart.
>>
So, I installed debian. How do I install firefox? after some searching around, I found out I had to edit my sources.list, but when I go to save the changes to this file, it says permission denied. How would I go about editing my sources.list file? Is there any other way that I can install firefox?
>>
>>51709020
Iceweasel faggot.
>>
>>51709020
>I found out I had to edit my sources.list, but when I go to save the changes to this file, it says permission denied. How would I go about editing my sources.list file?

sudo
>>
>>51709020
sudo nano /path/to/file/sources.list
>>
>>51709020
Debian doesn't package Firefox as it's licence doesn't allow their logo to be used.
You can grab a binary version though by:
wget "https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-latest&os=linux64&lang=en-US"
>>
I have this old laptop, 522mb ram, amd c-50 dual core 1ghz. I installed arch on it but everything was abysmally slow and the WiFi card didn't work properly so I could use it only with the Ethernet cable, after a couple weeks something broke while upgrading and decided to try Debian instead.

It's still slow but is usable now, and if I use lightweight applications it works fine. I can't have more than 3 big apps or have a bunch of tabs open, but In comparison with arch, its much faster and it supports my WiFi card without a hassle.

Why is the arch being a lightweight distro meme around? Debian is much better with old hardware and, in my experience, even faster. And you would not even notice you are running an older version of the kernel or libc or xorg or whatever and if you need an updated package just use backports.

Arch is OK, but everytime someone with an old machine is looking for a distro, arch is recommend right away, and it is a stupid advice.
>>
Bored of Ubuntu.
What should I try next?
>inb4 install gentoo
>>
>>51709128
Install Gentoo.
>>
>>51709128
dubs confirms gentoo
>>
>>51709170
You failed.
>>
>>51709128
Arch, fedora, Suse or gentoo. Depends what you want from your install.
>>
>>51709128
Honestly, ubuntu is the least shit of the normalfag distros. I've tried them all over the past 10 years. It was besto hands down before unity.

You have to go deep. Arch is probably your best bet and what I'm going to give a go next. As a 'power' user, I want something with massive repositories and no nannying or stallmanism. That is all. Gentoo isn't fun, compiling isn't fun.

If you don't feel like cheating and using Architect like I will be or dealing with shit if you don't want to, there's always fedora or some fork of that. It's my number two number one.
>>
>>51709231
>Gentoo isn't fun, compiling isn't fun.

I think it's fun :^)
>>
>>51709257
>add a new USE flag
>emerge --ask -uvDU @world
>fun
>>
File: 1436219009216.jpg (43 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1436219009216.jpg
43 KB, 1280x720
>>51709257
>portage
>>
>>51709288
adding global use flags and rebuilding world is something that rarely happens. it's really simple to get your use flags right from the start as well, just read the documentation. I enjoy having granular control over my OS and making it my own. sorry :^)

>>51709341
one of the best package managers.
>>
So why is virtualbox such a massive piece of shit compared to vmware? I can't even get a goddamn vpn working on it.
>>
why are you not running Archlinux right now?

>because im running windows 10 for muh gaymes
>inb4 gpu passthough
>>
>>51709363
>oracle
>open source

There's your answer.
>>
>>51709363
apt-get install virt-manager
dnf install virt-manager
pacman -S virt-manager
>>
>>51709203
Might check out Suse
Anything I should know before going in?
>>
>>51709363
virtualbox is dead and nobody cared enough to fork it

>>51709376
because i don't want a useless meme distro
>>
>>51709376
I have Arch, gentoo and win 10 installed.
What now?
>>
>>51709418
Its objectively the best distro

prove me wrong
>>
>>51709421
give a unique anime wallpaper to each
>>
>>51709410
Not much, it's a solid distro with a God tier config system. Just decide which DE you want before installing.
>>
>>51709426
Shit logo, YUM, sketchy past or something that made me avoid it for the better part of a decade, not fedora, you use it.
>>
>>51709426
garbage community, as proven by you
>>
>>51709444
>YUM
>sketchy past
U wot m8? You seem confused.
>>
>>51709444
>archlinux
>yum
what the fuck?
>>
>>51709467
>>51709473
Yeah, got lost in the replies. i was talking about suse, if it wasn't obvious. Arch is pretty okay, better than the next 10 in the same class.
>>
>>51709447
>>51709444

Fedora somehow manages to be more broken than ubuntu, it is literally a meme

Its also the only community that has any idea what they are doing. theres a reason why the Arch wiki is godlike
>>
>>51709496
I wouldn't go that far. Some of the arch community are definitely more on the CS side than the IT compared to other distros, but most are no better than anywhere else where the know the right wizard words but don't know how they do what they do.
>>
Can I install any distro to an external drive by just selecting it when at the install menu? Or do I have to use some special formatting?
>>
>>51709577
It should just werk, but you'll need to tell the motherboard to boot from that device.
>>
>>51709421
Give your computer to someone else since you have no use for it.
>>
>>51709128
Debian or Arch
>>
>>51709678
I can select that from the bios and can just keep the drive plugged in, just wanted to make sure that I didn't need to format it differently.
>>
>>51709356
>one of the best package managers
I can't say you're wrong since apt and yum exist but so does pacman
>>
>>51709376
>gpu passthrough
not all of us have two video cards
>>
>>51709729
pacman didn't have package signing for a decade
>>
>>51709800
Point taken, but now it does
>>
Using Chromium on Arch, and it seems to have a..."CPU leak?"
About every hour or so of using Chromium, I'll notice my system running noticeably slower. Opening the chromium task manager reveals that the "GPU Process" is taking 70-80-90% of my CPU time (it gets worse as time goes on). Simply terminating the process fixes the problem temporarily, but it always comes back. It SEEMS to come back faster if I watch a lot videos like on YouTube or Netflix (which would make sense, but I haven't like scientifically tested it)
Does Chromium just have a CPU leak in its renderer or something?
Are CPU leaks even a thing?
>>
>>51710094
screenshot "Chrome://gpu"
>>
File: screenFetch-2015-12-05_21-15-01.png (219 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2015-12-05_21-15-01.png
219 KB, 1280x800
>>51709376
But.. I AM running Arch Linux right now.
>>
>>51710296
gross, shawn.
>>
>>51710119
>>
>>51710336
Are you referring to my WM theme looking like shit?

Yes, I know it does and I need to work on it. This is only a backup laptop for the most part and I never put much effort into making it look pretty.
>>
>>51710119
>>51710364
>>
>>51710094
>>51710377
>>
>>51710119
>>51710400

>>51710400
meant to reply to >>51710119
>>
So whats the easiest way to set up a vpn on linux because all of the ways I'm looking at are a pain in the ass.
>>
A problem with linux is that you can't turn off mouse acceleration...
>>
>>51711510
i don't know how to turn accelleration ON in linux (which is fine because i prefer it off)
>>
>>51710680
I've always just used ssh tunnels.
>>
>>51699678

Which you can remove or deactivate since it's a plugin...
>>
>>51699763
>>51699799

You can disable LibreJS and install whatever addons you like. I tried it for a few hours, but the problem is rather that it's generated solely by script based upon the mozilla build - hence it will also follow all their changes regarding removing XUL/XPCOM.

So you'd be better off with palemoon or something else entirely.
>>
>>51706013

Ubuntu or ubuntu fork - or if you don't want to get spied upon use fedora.

I'm running fed22 with nvidia blobs (gtx 660 ti) and it runs really good.
>>
>>51699942
I used Icecat for a bit, it's usable but it's based on firefox ESR so it's outdated in some ways. I replaced it with iceweasel 42.0 which is based on firefox 42 obviously. They're very similar other than icecat has some pre-installed addons. But I prefer ublock origin and noscript over spyblock and librejs anyway.
>>
>>51707620

Yes, use rpmfusion.
>>
thinking of switching to linux because fuck windows, hows Archbang or should i just do ubuntu or mint
>>
>>51711774
trisquel
>>
File: scrot.png (34 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
scrot.png
34 KB, 1366x768
I am trying to extract an audio stream from a bluray but ffmpeg says that it can not export the 'pcm_bluray' codec as a 'wav' file even if I ask it to simply copy the codec (seriously I always have issues with file extensions while using ffmpeg, since when is it even needed?). I also tried with others file extensions as '.pcm', '.bluray' or even '.pcm_bluray' but the same error results. Its looks like ffmpeg can not export this specific codec cause if I specify the wav equivalent like pcm_s24le it just werks even if its still copying the content of the stream (note it don't works with a big endieness even if its supposed to be the original one refering to mediainfo).

TL;DR pic related
>>
Tried to open thumar as root using "gksudo thumar" in the command line, but it immediately crashes as soon as it opens. Any idea as to what im doing wrong?
>>
So I installed Ubuntu on my new laptop last night, I haven't done a whole lot with it so everything is still default, but I have a problem. Anytime I click a link on Skype (and maybe anything outside of my browser haven't tried it) it will open a new window of Chrome regardless of if I have a window open or not, and just take me to my homepage without actually taking me to the link I clicked. Anyone have any ideas.
>>
>>51711774
If you're gonna do arch do flat arch, but yes go Debian minimal or *buntu for your first distro.

>>51709376
But I am. And gentoo. And Windows 10. And OSX.

I will never understand the "ONE OS IS THE BEST OS" mentality.
>>
>>51711854
Yeah, uninstall skype and chrome.
>>
>>51711835
my question is: how to I export the original codec?
>>
>>51711854
Use web skype.

web.skype.com
>>
>>51697929
>wanna use a freedom respecting computer install gnu+linux

>install librejs
now i can no longer browse 4chin you guys are not willing to sacrifice 4chin for your freedoms.I feel depressed
>>
>>51711849
Actually, I can't even tell if it opens at all to be honest.
>>
Legit installing lo/g/os
Is the installation the same as Arch essentially?
>>
File: Screenshot_2015_12_03_14_22_35.png (289 KB, 794x517) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015_12_03_14_22_35.png
289 KB, 794x517
Autist here who couldn't get his dell XPS L401X to work.
I finally got it working fine by using the "403-update" package from the device manager.
Just in case anyone else has deez problems.
>>
>>51711977
why tho
>>
>>51711854

Sounds like a problem with ubuntu's shell wrappers (more often than not you don't start the binary directly but execute a shell script that does additional things like setting environment variables).

Execute this in a terminal:

>file $(which google-chrome)

If it says something like 'symbolic link to /some/path' execute

>file /some/path

do that untill the output says something like 'Bourne-Again shell script'.
Upload that shell script to pastebin and link it here - or call the linux guru you trust and ask him nicely.
>>
How do I install Webmin? I'm trying to install it on Ubuntu server but it doesn't want to connect with wget.

I'm using http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/webadmin/webmin_1.680_all.deb

Anyone know why it's not working?
>>
>>51711835
Not sure I follow, isn't pcm_s24le what you want, assuming you want 24bit.
ie.
ffmpeg -i something.m2ts -map 0:1 -acodec pcm_s24le audio_1.wav

If you want the DTS then use copy
ffmpeg -i something.m2ts -map 0:3 -acodec copy audio_3.dts
>>
>>51711872
>>51711889
Any other options besides that?
>>51712228
>or call the linux guru you trust
I have no one ;_;
>>
>>51712279

Then you either have to find the shell wrapper and pastebin it or find a lug (linux user group) in your area.
>>
>>51712229
Wrong version?
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/webadmin/webmin_1.770_all.deb
>>
>>51712279
>>51712296

... or send a mail to the maintainer of the google-chrome package, or open an issue on ubuntu bugtracker (if they have one, I have no idea desu).
I bet they use trello or some other hipster shit that doesn't work properly.
>>
>>51712228
>file $(which google-chrome)
What exactly do you mean by which google-chrome?
>>
>>51712304
It just sits there connecting. I assume that means it's not downloading?
>>
>>51712376
And it timed out.
>>
>>51712374

which is a program that looks for the given string in your path and returns the first find.

Hence `which google-chrome` tells you what you're executing when you start google chrome.
>>
>>51712246
How can I be sure ffmpeg isn't re-encoding the stream? It should be using big endianness but if I specify it the same error occurs. The original codec is labeled as pcm_bluray (with big endianness), why cant I simply extract it?
>>
>>51712849
converting to an equivalent pcm_* format is lossless, just match the sampling rate (automatic, provided the output format supports it), sampling depth (for example, pcm_s16le for 16bit source) and channel count (also automatic)

note that converting endianness is a lossless operation

speaking of lossless, i recommend you you use flac instead, unless you have some special reason not to compress the output, you will lose no information

>why cant I simply extract it?
it needs to go into a container that supports it, i'm not all that familiar with that particular type of pcm, but .m2ts and .mkv should support it
>>
>>51712849
IIRC WAV doesn't support big endianess[1], you could use AIFF format, it should support it.
But there shouldn't be any differences, so it doesn't matter.

Also latest ffmpeg should be smart, so you could just use
ffmpeg -i something.m2ts -map 0:1 out.wav

and it should work.

[1] http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/WAV
>>
>>51712410
Oh, my bad thought that was something I had to put in with info.

Anyway here's the file I found http://pastebin.com/7dLUy883
>>
>>51713185
Mhm, looks fine. Then skype is the problem =/
Not much you can do there, I don't think they continued support for linux.
>>
>>51713214
fug

o well thanks anyways
>>
File: contentment.jpg (120 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
contentment.jpg
120 KB, 700x525
file /etc/xdg/menus/mate-preferences-categories.menu conflicts between attempted installs of mate-menus-preferences-category-menu-1.10.0-2.fc23.x86_64 and mate-control-center-1.12.0-2.fc23.x86_64

I run fedora 23; I'm trying to get MATE desktop working, but whenever I boot into it it infinitely spawns caja processes that never fully initiate and dragging windows leaves frames like the end of a solitaire game.

That error up there gets thrown when I run dnf groupinstall mate-desktop. I googled it and found a bug report from 8 days ago explaining that the file it mentions is obsolete and they forgot to remove it; someone alleged that they fixed that but it still throws the error.

Anyone know any reason it might be shitting itself the way it does? I'm sure eventually the file will get taken out, but is there anything I personally can do.
>>
>>51706604
Why so much? I think 16 is more than enough.
>>
>>51708214
That's a great way to cancel most of performance gains from SSD.
>>
File: 1448953875321.png (472 KB, 795x1100) Image search: [Google]
1448953875321.png
472 KB, 795x1100
Post Arch install

I can't get catalyst to install through yaourt, nor can I via downloading it from AMD's website. In addition I can't seem to get sound to work, nor middle clicking to scroll in firefox.

Did I fall for the Arch meme?

I just want a distro with lots of gui customization (I'd like to be able to switch from riced out awesome and gnustep for when I'm feeling retro), quick updates to packages, and works well with games. Rolling release is nice for muh bleeding edge, and the less time spent configuring bullshit the better.

What should I use?

How stable is debian testing and unstable?

did i fall for the arch meme
>>
>>51709114
Use Gentoo then. It will be much more responsive.
>>
File: [004503].jpg (222 KB, 800x1400) Image search: [Google]
[004503].jpg
222 KB, 800x1400
>>51713511

Also which distro fits those critera while having an official repository where I don't have to jump through like 8 hoops to download le evil proprietary software or fucking build packages
>>
>>51709800
Portage still uses unencrypted rsync for syncing the tree.
>>
>>51713511
>I can't seem to get sound to work
Did you remember to unmute the output? It's muted by default.

>nor middle clicking to scroll in firefox
Preferences -> Advanced -> Browsing -> Use autoscrolling
>>
>>51713511
>Archlinux decided to go with Xorg-Server 1.18.0 even with the fact that Catalyst doesn’t support that server yet.
>>
>>51713614
Just downgrade to a version that is supported by catalyst?

aur/downgrader 1.8.0-2 (138)
Powerful packages downgrader for Archlinux. Works with libalpm, ARM and pacman logs
>>
>>51713606

Yes I unmuted it but still nothing.

What about the catalyst drivers?

When I try to install via AUR yaourt says it can't build xorg-forgotwhatitsayshere<18.something

And I have no idea how to install it after I download it from amd's website
>>
>>51713631

ty anon I'll try that

also other than windowmaker how do I install the full gnustep DE, is it in the AUR?
>>
>>51713614
That's the one thing that's bad about rolling releases - what if A is upgraded but B still needs the older version of A?
>>
>>51713675
Install Gentoo. There are different versions for each package in the tree, slots to install multiple versions of a package and masks to avoid accidentally installing unstable or unsupported version.
>>
>>51713675

So should I stick to arch?

I want to but right now I'm feeling really discouraged about the sound and the amd driver thing
>>
>>51713727
Sounds neat

>>51713729
You won't have problems of this scale too often, but I can see why you are worried.
There might be a solution on the Arch forum though, I didn't check those threads since I don't have an AMD
>>
>>51713758

Ok, thanks for the hop.

What other 90's looking de's are there like GNUstep, do any look like BeOS?
>>
>>51713675
Look, fucker, that kind of retarded shit won't happen if you only use packages from the official repos. AMD Catalyst drivers are apparently so shit, that they were removed from the official repos, and are now only available through AUR or other unsupported channels.
>>
Where code structure is used to manipulate linux/ubuntu in the terminal?
>>
>>51713924

ok but I wanna play games on steam so le libre drivers aren't gonna cut it.
>>
>>51713924
That's a general problem and not restricted to shit from outside the official repos.
>>
>>51711566
It's on by default if you are using Xorg, unless your distro overrides the default settings.
>>
>>51713729
Install manjaro, don't listen to the memes
>>
>>51713949
>That's a general problem
No it's not. The package managers keep track of dependencies for you so you don't have to worry about this stuff. There will (almost) never be a situation where an official package A requires a version of official package B not existing in the repos, and if there is, it is a mistake and not a "general problem with rolling distros".
>>
File: this_is_bullshit.gif (974 KB, 500x246) Image search: [Google]
this_is_bullshit.gif
974 KB, 500x246
>>51713968
>manjaro
>>
>>51713998
General problem doesn't mean that it needs to happen often, that it may and does happen is bad enough.
>>
>>51714033
Yeah no, you presented it as a problem that is inherent and unavoidable with rolling release distros, when in fact it is rare and only caused by human error. Mistakes happen with every kind of software.
>>
Use void linux it's great.
>>
Whats the best gui for pacman that works with yaourt?

Should I use a different AUR helper than Yaourt?

How do I uninstall Mate and its related packages without messing up other packages in pacman?
>>
>>51713675
I mean there's a reason for changelogs guy - think before you hit yes on Syu

don't updade if shit will break. Wait for it to be patched out and then do it. Same goes for almost anything.
>>
>>51714135
why are you even using arch

install ubuntu or something
>>
>>51714147
Since when do changelogs tell you which other packages will break by upgrading this package?
>>
>>51714179
Read, my man

https://www.archlinux.org/news/xorg-1180-enters-testing/

This kind of thing. Google your xorg updates. Research a bit before you upgrade shit.
>>
>>51714135
1.There's none
2.Not really
3. sudo pacman -Rns mate mate-extra
>>
>>51714201
Not >>51714179 but how often do you perform full sync?
>>
>>51714213
Whenever I remember, so usually once every couple of days.
>>
>>51714201
When they bumped Ncurses from 5 to 6 there was no news entry on the site
>>
>>51714221
Do you research every two days before updating your package?
>>
>>51714243
I research every time there is a major upgrade.

Obviously updating gimp, or firefox isn't going to break a thing. But if there is an xorg update, which is rare, yes. Welcome to maintaining a rolling release bleeding edge and ever so slightly unstable distro.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.