[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I fell for the >stock Android meme. For years all I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
I fell for the >stock Android meme.

For years all I've read is that skins are bloated, laggy and heavy. That stock Android was light and clean and would set me free. So when my Samsung Galaxy S2 finally died after 3.5 years, I got the Moto X Play two weeks ago.
>It checked more hardware boxes for me than any other phone
>Great low price
>The (practically) 'stock Android' I've read so much about, that promised me a 'better software experience' than the LG G4 or another Samsung

How disappointing. It's a lot of little shortcomings, but they all add up. Little things I took for granted in my S2.
>can't show battery percentage in the status bar
>have to swipe down twice or with two fingers to see the quick toggles
>can't toggle adaptive brightness from the quick toggles
>vertical scrolling app drawer
>can't hide apps
>bright white eye sore menus
>can't remove Google search bar from homescreens, leaving one less row for widget space
>and possibly the worst, although arguably it's a hardware issue that would be found on LGs as well, but... on-screen buttons. What a scam. in every situation except watching full screen video, it takes up valuable screen space. It turns my screen from 5.5" to 5.0". I paid for a 5.5" screen! And they're not even customisable like they supposedly are on LGs, so I could have the back button on the right, or add a menu button or drop down menu button.

I really like the hardware. The LCD display is much easier on the eye than AMOLED. Easier on the battery too; battery life is better than my S2 with a 4800mah battery. I don't play games or run 30 different messengers, so the 615 and 2GB RAM are more than enough. The camera is fine for anyone but professionals or autists.

But stock Android is the real letdown here. It's restrictive rather than liberating. How can you bash Apple yet shill stock Android? Stop propagating this meme. Skins are not bad. Features are not bad. Getting the amount of screen space you paid for is not bad.
>>
>>51708006
That's what root and xposed are for
>>
>>51708006
>>can't show battery percentage in the status bar
>>have to swipe down twice or with two fingers to see the quick toggles
>>can't toggle adaptive brightness from the quick toggles
>>vertical scrolling app drawer
>>can't hide apps
>>bright white eye sore menus
>>can't remove Google search bar from homescreens, leaving one less row for widget space
>>and possibly the worst, although arguably it's a hardware issue that would be found on LGs as well, but... on-screen buttons. What a scam. in every situation except watching full screen video, it takes up valuable screen space. It turns my screen from 5.5" to 5.0". I paid for a 5.5" screen! And they're not even customisable like they supposedly are on LGs, so I could have the back button on the right, or add a menu button or drop down menu button.
Haven't used stock android in a while but CM can do this
>>
>>51708006
Well, you don't have to stick to exactly stock Android, try a different launcher.
>>
>>51708024
This. Exposed + gravitybox will give you all the features you're asking for without any bloat.
>>
>>51708024
>>51708120
I know, but that's not the point. If >da big bad ebul bloated Touchwiz can have these nice touches, then why can't the supposedly superior stock Android?

Plus I'm not rooting and flashing some some custom ROM or using root access software modules made by an autist currynigger or eastern European credit card thief, just for these features. I use my phone for important emails, cloud docs, my KeePass file, banking app and occasionally some naughty photos.
>>
>>51708006

There's literally an app to do everything you mentioned.

Look for them on the Play Store.

The beauty of stock Android is that you can customize it however you want.

Many other people don't even want those things you mentioned, but you can get an app to do them if you want.
>>
>>51708328
Touchjizz has a few nice features but overall it's not worth all the bloat and lag. Thanks god we have xposed and gravity box and all the complaints you had can be fixed with a decent launcher like nova launcher.

As for onscreen buttons, fuck you, onscreen buttons are the best thing to happen to android. If you're so pissed about them gravity box then to auto hide them or use pie controls.
>>
>>51708006
Most of your problems can be solved with Nova launcher
The other half you're going to do some research and decide if you want to go for a custom rom
>>
>>51708006
>I want a customized experience
>Too autistic to customize my own phone

Go make an iPhone thread
>>
File: Wow-its-fucking-nothing.jpg (33 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Wow-its-fucking-nothing.jpg
33 KB, 500x375
>>51708373
>There's literally an app to do everything you mentioned.

Wow, what a great thing, do you also like to buy clothes with holes in them saying "there is enough material to stuff all of them".
Of course you can patch and fix everything with a custom rom, a launcher..etc, but if you pay several 100$ you deserve to have a finished product.

I have 4.4,not stock and reading this i think i will never upgrade to 5 or get any stock version.
>>
>>51708711
I don't think that the lack of customization is op's problem.
It's rather how android gets more and more watered down for retards, so they cant customize shit and therefore not make anything "bad". google just wants to get the iphone crowd to android.
>>
>>51708088
Yes, CM does this. I was using a Moto G, praised because the "nearest stock experience possible". Flashed CM on day 1, mainly because the themer, but also all this.
>>
>have G3 for the last two years or so
>stock Android (4.4?) for the first six months or so
>lets go ahead and fuck with ROMs!
>install CM
>random reboots
>install something else
>random reboots
>install third
>random reboots
>fuck it, go back to rooted android for another year
>few months ago decide to fuck around with CM again
>random reboots
>G3 is a fucking oven if the screen is on for more than a minute
>battery life down the drain, charging twice a day
>RANDOM FUCKING REBOOTS

Sitting comfy on rooted 5.1 waiting for a clean 6.0 image to come out. Those random reboots made me damn near smash my phone to bits.
>>
>>51709238
>I have 4.4,not stock and reading this i think i will never upgrade to 5 or get any stock version.
every smart person in the world thinks this.

only the truely intelligent users stopped upgrading after 4.2x
>>
>>51710307
What CM did you flash? CM 11 is generally a lot more stable in my experience. Flashed CM 11 on my S4 Mini and never had a single issue.
>>
>>51710347
What's so good about 4.2?
>>
>>51709238
Holy shit you are fucking dumb. If you like bloatware then keep using whatever the fuck you want. Stock is meant for people that want to tinker with their phones because that's the only way to make certain software universally compatible. It's hard to maintain Gravitybox as compatible with every rom out there (Touchwiz, MIUI, Xperia, whatever) but it's fairly easy to keep it AOSP compatible. Now get the fuck out of /g/ normie,
>>
>>51709238
Retard, the point is most people don't want shitty touchjizz features, so stock works great.

Then for retards that want shitty touchjizz features, they can also download them.

It's the best of both worlds.
>>
>>51709238
>I have 4.4

GTFO Pleb
>>
>>51708006
I felt the same way when I got my X Play. I got used to it after about a week or 2
>>
>>51709283
>It's rather how android gets more and more watered down for retards, so they cant customize shit and therefore not make anything "bad".
Welcome to real life where vast majority of people don't know shit about the things they use everyday. Ask most any random person on the street what OS their phone has and you'll get, "I don't know but it's an iPhone/Samsung/LG/etc".
>>
>>51710653
Lollipop was a fucking downgrade from Kit Kat in all honesty. But you're probably 14 and having the latest piece of tech to brag about to your friends is the most important thing in life right now.
>>
>>51708006
>not running CyanogenMod + xposed + GMScore
enjoy letting google know everything you do and your shitty battery life m8
>>
>>51710744
OK buddy. While real tech enthusiasts are sitting on 6.0, you're all the way back at 4.4. You don't know shit about shit.
>>
>>51710757
GMScore is alpha quality and half the apps that use GCM force close on launch. It's way easier to just use a tool like System Tuner to turn off Google's botnet services.

Keep in mind you're still using Google's servers no matter what, so you're still technically part of the botnet unless you don't use Google shit at all.
>>
>>51710767
6.0 has just as many issues as 5.1. Anything past 4.4 is an unstable, buggy mess.
>>
File: 1446675796745.jpg (47 KB, 753x452) Image search: [Google]
1446675796745.jpg
47 KB, 753x452
>>51710851
>manually disabling 89 google services to play flappy birds 4 super star wars edition
>>
File: 0e9.jpg (24 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
0e9.jpg
24 KB, 499x499
>>51710895
Worth it.
>>
>>51708006
This is probably a troll post but I'll give it a go
>can't show battery percentage in the status bar
I'm running 6.0, sure can.
>have to swipe down twice or with two fingers to see the quick toggles
Nova launcher gestures.
>can't toggle adaptive brightness from the quick toggles
The point of adaptive brightness is to always leave it on and micro-adjustments with the slider, you're talking about auto-brightness that needed to be toggled on/off
>vertical scrolling app drawer
Nova launcher.
>can't hide apps
See above.
>bright white eye sore menus
Layers themes work on stock 6.0.
>can't remove Google search bar from homescreens, leaving one less row for widget space
Nova launcher.
>and possibly the worst, [...], but... on-screen buttons [...]
Can be disabled thought build.prop and replaced with superior alternative (pie controls).

Jesus, I can't believe I answered half of those with Nova, money so well spent.
>>
>>51710973
/thread
>>
>>51710767
>"upgrading" to a version of Android that took three releases to become somewhat almost as stable as 4.4 was just for the sake of it
>Implying I'm not gonna try 6.0 soon
>Implying I didn't choose to sit back and let everyone else suffer bugs and problems with 5.0+ while I cheerfully went about my day with nice stable 4.4
Nice no true Scotsman fallacy though
>>
File: kitkat_homescreen-100067526-orig.jpg (182 KB, 1160x1031) Image search: [Google]
kitkat_homescreen-100067526-orig.jpg
182 KB, 1160x1031
>He isn't apart of the new XP ers
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.