[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WM or DE
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 8975789037089450.jpg (264 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
8975789037089450.jpg
264 KB, 1024x576
What do you prefer and which one? Pros and Cons?
>>
>>51688031
>WM
pros:
you don't have to use the mouse, aimed at more advanced users who are not afraid to read a manual or use a trial and error approach to learn how to use the software.
cons:
It just manages windows as the name says and pretty much nothing else. But they allow you to extend the the functionality through scripting, which is a good side and not really a cons

>DE
cons:
offers a similar experience to what most people are used to when they come from windows or OS X
More feature rich since they come with lots of different types of software, like editor, browser, music client, file manager, terminal emulator, etc
>>
>>51688031
Tiling WM are somewhat pointless, at most you might need 3 different windows open at once. Typically for reference or feedback/debugging. Any more than that and you are only dividing your attention. Human beings are not very efficient multitaskers by nature, and things like twitter and email feeds serve only to distract you.

Good DE's are controllable solely through keybinds. Hell even OS X's Cocoa has system wide, definable emacs keybindings. They offer a layer of consistency too which is nice.
>>
WM. I use vim and sublime, a firefox fork and URxvt, thunar and an image viewer that needs to be compiled from source. So preinstalled software is actually a con for me, in the sense that I'll just have to uninstall it.

Other than that, I enjoy config files and find it nice to just use xorg-xinit without messing with a display manager.

>>51688433
mm tiling is really helpful if you're on a laptop or one monitor, or if you're reading off a man page. I do a little web stuff on my laptop, nice to have a window with my page open, and CSS/HTML editors both tiled neatly to save space. You can switch them around with a keybind too
>>
>>51688090
Is this satirical?
>>
>>51688031
if I do a setup like this, will I be the coolest kid in town?
>>
I use a DE (MATE) because I can just click things like a normal person used a computer in the early 00's.
>>
>>51688031
WM, because i usually do alot of system administration and ssh into servers + irssi and web browsing don't need bloated DE for that.
96mb of ram on startup so it's pretty light ( i3 )
>>
I use DE's but only light ones like XFCE and LXDE, XFCE's my preference
I've tried i3 before and I just find that it's not practical for me to use key bindings to open/close new windows, resize them etc, it's a bit daunting for me
>>
wms are convenient, but I don't mind a lightweight DE, since I mostly use one terminal with tmux even in WMs
>>
>>51688031
usually a DE (namely, XFCE -- similarly light to most WMs, but still somewhat feature rich)

if I do use a WM, it's usually Window Maker (pretty polished interface, moderately customizable, works like I expect it to)
did use 90s-era MWM for a while at one point, and had it set up pretty nicely, but as a whole there didn't seem to be much of a point over just using XFCE
>>
>>51688031
>DE
Gnome / Mate are the only two that don't start to bug me within a day or 2. (maybe unity, haven't given it a real chance)

>WM
I like i3 but also don't. Hard to explain.
Maybe I should configure it more thorougly...
>>
>>51688031
WM
>Absolutely autistic son of a bitch. Mouthbreather, have never/never will enjoy sex with a real woman.

DE
>Outgoing, kind person. The "cool Linux guy". Repeatedly has sex thanks to his KDE skills.
>>
>>51689078
I use a DE but replace its WM with a tiling one.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.