[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are corporations still evil? : My biggest problerm with free software
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7
File: apple-diversity-01.png (1 MB, 1431x541) Image search: [Google]
apple-diversity-01.png
1 MB, 1431x541
I have a question for you /g/eeks and free software nerds.

First I would like to say the intention of creating free software for everyone to access the internet is a fantastic idea.
It really is a social-oriented philosophy, despite the fact most of the time, open source software and Linux are a bit too hard to be understood by the common users, but there have been a lot of progress on the usability part.

Now, there's another thing I wanted to talk about: Are corporations still evil today? There's a social responsibility for all companies to hire a wide diversity of people, and give equal opportunities, and it works. I would even say they are doing an exemplary job. Myself I am a part of these minorities. That's out of this diversity all the industry's creativity and imagination comes from, and after my researches, since the past decade the increased ratio follows the boom of connected technologies and social networking. Smartphones, tablets... It's the art of keeping people connected equally.

Apple, Google, Facebook, Microsoft, and many companies are becoming bigger and bigger because of that diversity driven philosophy, all the people working there have equal opportunities to succeed regardless their social origins.

And I think it's fantastic.
>>
>>51680468
>muh profits
>>
File: apple_diversity.png (2 MB, 2010x962) Image search: [Google]
apple_diversity.png
2 MB, 2010x962
And here's my biggest grudge about free software society.

I have done my research about who create and make free open source apps and software from Sourceforge last night, and various other software like Suse or Red Hat. I analysed and studied the authors and developers.

- 95% are white males. essentially. Wealthy, straight people. Classic.
- There is little or no diversity at all.
- Only Canonical and Mozilla seems to respects some little diversity but are far from being representative of the population.
- The free software and open source community is likely the most elitist community I have encountered, they have no opportunity for diverse social class.
- Because they claim it is a hobby, they prefer to keep their group as-is
- Only a non visible minority are LGBT people among the free software community.

How can you pretend to push a progressive ideal as being a challenger to corporations, when yourself you are totally why we hate corporations?
I would love to switch to free software and install Linux, I tried, but by experience this is a community that is very shallow and not so open, and this is an hypocrisy I can't stand. I have a degree in graphic design and social network management, but after applying for some projects by the past, and gave my resume for some big projects including Mozilla, Debian, Libreoffice devs, I contacted many people, all returns came back as negative.
I even started a discussion on the topic on every linux forums and chatrooms, every time I got banned without a reason. I'm not judging, this is a fact. I'm not saying this is representative of the free software community but this is strange that starting a civil conversation, asking questions is obviously a sensible topic.

Why is the free software community so shallow regarding diversity? I think it's just not right and want you to think about it.
>>
If they aren't evil why are they writing, using and selling proprietary software?

Checkmate
>>
>>51680494
>Why is the free software community so shallow regarding diversity?

The free software community only cares about free software.

However diverse you are, if you care about it more than you care about free software, you're fucked.
>>
File: Not a free software group.jpg (207 KB, 1640x900) Image search: [Google]
Not a free software group.jpg
207 KB, 1640x900
>>51680476
Profits also belongs to the workers there. It's not bad.

- Free software asks for donations, they are somehow corporations who ask politely, but unlike corporations, they are not required to have quotas. Right?

- Corporate software wants you to pay for software so they can pay their employees. Now there have been serious efforts into bringing a relevant diversity in the corporate environment. That's progressive.
Does being in a situation of monopoly like Microsoft really is a reason anymore to hate corporations?
Does selling expensive computers and hardware a reason enough to hate companies like Apple?
From my point of view, I dont think it is.

>>51680503
How is a software being proprietary a bad thing? Can you read code anyways?
Here's for my argument about elitism in free software community. I'm not a nerd, I'm a social person like the vast majority. I don't know what means C, GPL, kernel, GCC, KDE all that fuss!
It's crazy how can you expect people to know all this?

>>51680546
Again, it's the people who make it who make the difference. You should admit Linux is somehow reserved to some kind of intellectual elite and is not really prone to be more open to 'plebs'...

I just want to scratch the fact that corporations did much more for social rights and progress than people, also hackers, who brag about supporting the open source movement against 'evil' corporations. It's important.
Thank you.
>>
>>51680494
>How can you pretend to push a progressive ideal as being a challenger to corporations, when yourself you are totally why we hate corporations?

I'm assuming the whole thing is bait but:
I have problems with corporations because of their lack of innovation and shit design choices, not because they didn't have enough blacks on staff. I didn't stop having a problem with them just because they care more about numbers of race/gender x on staff over hiring the right person for the job. I despise them more for those choices, not less.

Also, FOSS is a niche of a niche, there is going to be far fewer candidates for those jobs compared to people working at MS.
>>
>Why don't niggers and shitskins make my software
Literally who the fuck cares about their skin color you humongous faggot
>>
>>51680574
>can you read proprietary code
No. It's closed, obfuscated and encrypted
For all you know, it's probably spying on you.

It literally does not matter what race/ ethnicity/ cultural background writes code. The computer doesn't care, as long as said code is efficient and well written. Let's leave politics out of this. As far as I know, you're not going to be discriminated against for those things in the OSS community. It just so happens that the biggest autists willing to give away their time to writing free software are heterosexual white males. I see nothing wrong with that
>>
Becouse. They dont have money for equality and support group for minorytys or other shit.
The code is most important and donations are mostly few thousands so they can nake any projects.

Every one can make opensource. And if the group is a dick just merge it and mage your own india homosexual fork that respect all you minorytya things
>>
>>51680468
Diversity is simply not important for software.

If you write worse software than that white male, then the white male is getting hired before you.

Unless the company is afraid of the social justice mob, in which case they will need to hire people based on skin color rahter than programming skills.

What about the FOSS and OSS communities then? They're open to literally anyone, just start writing software.
>>
>>51680831
>Diversity is simply not important for software.
I'm a transgender female and I would second OP about that issue. Trans people and females are frowned upon by this community. Yes it's real, you can ignore it but it's a fact.

>>51680616
Language.
>>
>>51680831
>What about the FOSS and OSS communities then? They're open to literally anyone, just start writing software.

A simple Google search will reveal all of them being cis white people, some does support causes like the LGBT but remains not much involved.
A lot of them however can be pictured as "truther" with anonymous hackers state of mind.
I still applause Mozilla for ousting that republican asshole. Things are going better without him.
>>
>>51680862
>I'm a transgender female
Talking like that ensures you are frowned upon everywhere outside of your hugbox communities.
And rightly so.
Holy shit.
>>
>>51680862
Do you write worse software for being transgender?
No.
Do you wirte better software for being transgender?
No.

It doesn't matter.

Don't rub your transgender ass on people's faces and people won't hate you for it.

Did you know that Linus, for being swedo-finn, is in a minority inside of a minority? That's a minority that doesn't even have a real name in English.

Oh but he's a white male right? He couldn't buy movie tickets with his native language for years and there are only a handful of towns in Finland that can provide day to day services in Swedish.
>>
diversity in skin color is not diversity when there is no diveristy in thought. conformity in thought is not diversity.

case: a manager hires a black guy who walks in wearing a suit, vs a guy who walked in wearing a suit with ear rings, and a do-rag. clearly both of these people have diffrent thoughts on how to make themselves presentable, but one is obviously preferrable to the employer.

another case: BEN Carson is a neurosurgeon because of affirmative action. no one who's dumb enough to think that the pyramids are grain storage units, and that china is fighting in syria, and that an angel taught him chemistry (since by his own admission, he's ostensibly too stupid to learn it on his own) is truly intelligent enough to be a good neurologist
>>
>>51680494
>>51680468

Nice copy pasting from some SJW NeoGAF limpdick
>>
File: chucknorris_450x400.jpg (26 KB, 450x400) Image search: [Google]
chucknorris_450x400.jpg
26 KB, 450x400
>Fucking social justice warriors declaring war against /g/entoomen and Free Software Community
I've seen a lot of shit like that on Facebook / Twitter but not on /g/ yet. You faggots won't make it there, and I just came here to watch fellow /g/entoomen destroying your tranny logic.

Yes, cis white male people make better software than degenerates like OP. It is a fact, accept it.
>>
>>51680862

You know something moron, your average person even a fairly bigoted one, has bigger worries in their life professionally and personally that what you have in your pants.

This is the same problem I have with the vocally visible gay community. If you didn't go out of your way to rub it in everyones faces, and force people to give a shit, you wouldn't face 1/10 the derision you do. 90% of the people out there are too busy worrying about mortgages, kids, promotions, deadlines, or traffic to give a damn.
>>
>>51680468
8/10 bait
>>
>>51680862
go kill yourself faggot
>>
>>51680468
>>51680494
This is why Im on Mac.
Pretentiuous pseudoiintellectuals and hackers shouldnt rule the technology market, but it should be the people.
>>
>>51680574
>can you read code, anyways?
Yes. I can.

And free software organizations don't want idiots that don't know how to code fucking up their code base. It's elitist because it can be. However, if you want to get into it, then literally nothing other than your own inhibitions stops you from reading all of their code and becoming intimately familiar with it. They've rejected you because open source is not a freelance side project, it's a through and through hobby made up of devoted individuals that love it. Idiot code hipsters looking for a quick job threaten the rigidity that hobby. Open source software is made up of hackers with a passion only for code, not dumbass SJWs.

Corporations are just hiding their evil with a facade of diversity. Most new tech companies are even less diverse. Look at uber and snap chat.
>>
>>51680862
Here's a protip: Pretend to be a white male when submitting code to get it accepted more often
>>
>>51680600
Literally this

Companies make shit design choices and unethically track all of our information but that's all okay because they're racially diverse! Most fucking idiots are going to understand that closed source is bad but they'll see diversity and think oh, they're better than Debian!

I'm so pissed off lol. Bait or not, this is a real issue and now jewgle and joyent and others are pushing SJW into the management of their relevant open source projects! I literally cannot understand this, to what financial goal is Google playing by restricting hate speech in the maintenance of go?? I guess it could just be beaurocratic spill-over, since they have paid employees contributing to the go project.

Either way, open source is not supposed to be concerned with anything other than the code and the licenses that apply to it.
>>
>>51680904
>I still applause Mozilla for ousting that republican asshole. Things are going better without him.
Mozilla is on it's way to absolutely destroying Firefox, to make it into a worse Chrome, while Thunderbird is looking to spit from Mozilla because of how terrible the company has become. I'd hardly call that "better".
>>
>>51680468
>>51680494
>>51680574
>this isn't copypasta
10/10 I AM FUCKING ANGRY
>>
OP, I'm pretending this isn't bait for five minutes.

I look in the FOSS groups and see a bunch of straight white men. What does that tell me?

Nothing.

I'm trans. I'm bi. I have written FOSS. All it takes is the desire to learn and do. Most other trans people are either hiding and segregating themselves from the trans "community", or spend all their time in a hugbox doing nothing. I'm part of the former. Most trans people are whiny little bitches that are too busy complaining about stupid shit to do anything worthwhile.

Diversity in skin, sexuality, and gender identity as a hiring practice is stupid. Hire the best, get the best. Hire the mediocre for quota, get the worst.
>>
>>51680862
>transgender
You probably aren't even fooling yourself, don't expect anyone else to buy into your chuuni shit.
>>
>>51682168
You are not trans.
>>
>>51682202
There's no trans people anywhere on this planet, because there isn't any medical procedure that can actually reassign your sex.
>>
Can anyone explain me the concept of transgender? As far as I'm concerned it's technically impossible (yet).
>>
>>51682228
The concept is entirely based in the pseudoscientific idea that gender is a social construct and that you can control it. Believing that chopping off your penis and taking hormones will make you female is akin to believing in chakra realignments or other woo. Transgenderism is a cult with political power, not a concept that has any merit.
>>
>>51680494
You're retarded if you don't know FOSS devs suck a hell of a lot of dick
>>
>>51682266
Well that is true but 1% of transgenders actually have the ability to look like a female. Most look like kinda manish to extremely manish. It's easy to tell the transgenders from the face, humans are good at facial recognition.

Generally I'd be okay with TS if the technology was there to make the majority look like women instead of the tiny minority that had feminine bone structure when starting.
>>
>>51682266
Some pseudoscience has actually became scientific fact
>>
Is this what performance art looks like?
>>
File: inertia.gif (3 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
inertia.gif
3 MB, 480x360
Alright you fucking brain dead retards. Are corporations evil? No they amoral. They have no social duty other than to generate money for the shareholders. As they should. Their social function is to generate wealth and production on the most efficient basis possible.

And that's why they're fair. They don't really care about about your race or religion or how you like to get fucked, they only care about how good you are at your job. Do you really think a corporation that only cares about profits is gonna forgo a more productive employee because of their sex or skin color? And even if they do, that only means the other company down the street is gonna hire that person instead and eventually outcompete the discriminating company untill they adopt better hiring practices or file for bankrupcy.

That's why you fucking retards whinning about diversity this diversity that are the cancer of the modern world, and contribute to nothing but economic and social decline.
>>
>>51680494
>I have done my research about who create and make free open source apps and software from Sourceforge last night
>>
>>51682405
Pseudoscience can never become scientific fact by very definition.
To become scientific fact it has to cease being pseudoscience.
>>
Yeah, I don't have a feminine skeletal structure, which is why I'm not bothering with hormones and surgery. Expensive, can only go so far, and I'd rather appear as a half decent male than an ugly woman. If science gets us far enough, then sure, I'll transition.
>>
>>51682695
>To become scientific fact it has to cease being pseudoscience.
you don't say?

btw, did you know that racism, when talking about humans, is pseudoscience?
>>
>>51682227
He meant transvestite.
>>
>>51680503
Because everyone has to earn money you fucktard. You really expect people to work for free? Would you work for free without wanting anything for it?

Checkmate, fag!
>>
>>51683295
You can sell free software you know.
Or operate as a charity. Like mozilla. Or work as a business providing support for your free software. Like redhat.
>>
>>51680468
>Are corporations still evil today
They're motivated by profit...
They yield easily to pressure from the government.

>>51680494
>And here's my biggest grudge about free software society.
Your reasons are shit.
No one is stopping anyone from contributing to free software projects.
You don't have to show up anywhere in-person to contribute to a free software project; most of them are online only because that's the more efficient way of having a free software project.
You don't even have to live in the same fucking country (i.e. does away with the bias of location and all the social-economical disadvantages one may have that prevents contribution; an internet connection is still however a requirement obviously).
You never have to mention your gender or sexual orientation; no one gives a shit.
People can't even see the color of your skin.
Your code is all that matters; if what you're saying is true then you should turn around and ask every other race, gender, and sexual orientation why they suck at programming. Oh but wait - Indians make up a huge portion of the programming population but generally a small portion of the US population. I guess you can't pin it on racism after all can you?

>>51680574
>but unlike corporations, they are not required to have quotas. Right?
The ones you're talking about need to cover server costs, or else they go down (and therefore will cease to exist).
>>
>>51680468
10/10 troll OP very nice job
>>
>>51680468
Wait, why is diversity important? In my opinion, workers should be hired based on ability alone. If it so happens that only straight white males have the ability, then only straight white males should be employed. Skill before all.
>>
>>51680494
>I have a degree in graphic design and social network management, but after applying for some projects by the past, and gave my resume for some big projects including Mozilla, Debian, Libreoffice devs, I contacted many people, all returns came back as negative.

That's because your degree is useless to them.
>>
Stallman will save us from these bluepilled zombies.

Right?
>>
>>51680494
wait so they didn't want to get to be your best friend and buddy buddy with you, and show you how to do the most basic things since you're incapable of reading the substantial documentation
>>
There's a female programmer at my company. One day this new hire who was some MRA type went to her desk and said: "Hey little girl, why don't you go make us a sandwich and leave the programming to us men?" He talked other kinds of shit too, and a crowd gathered around them. She just smirked, said "watch this" and pulled out a second keyboard. She started typing on both of them at the same time, so fast that we could barely keep up. She wrote an operating system in Assembly in just five minutes and it booted on the first try. We were all stunned into silence, except for the new guy who got mad and said: "Time to teach you a lesson, bitch!" and lunged at her. She casually unleashed a deadly barrage of martial arts attacks, instantly severing his spine (keep in mind this guy was built like an NFL quarterback). The whole office broke into applause. He was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics, and our CEO announced she would become his successor effective immediately, before castrating himself and jumping off the roof with a smile on his face. The whole office broke into applause. She said: "If any of you boys want to learn some coding, my door is always open," tipped her fedora, turned around 360 degrees and walked away. I was so impressed and so in awe that when I got home I told my girlfriend that we're buying a strap-on.

This really happened.
>>
>>51680976
>BEN Carson is a neurosurgeon because of affirmative action. no one who's dumb enough to think that the pyramids are grain storage units, and that china is fighting in syria, and that an angel taught him chemistry (since by his own admission, he's ostensibly too stupid to learn it on his own) is truly intelligent enough to be a good neurologist

god damn it, it's true
>>
>>51680862
you've got your head so far up your imaginary pussy it's not even cute. get mature.
>>
>>51682227
how's it feel to still have the chromosomes of a male, but the mutilated genitals of a female
>>
Transgengers want to make the phrase "Hey man, how's it going :)?" a form of harassment.
>>
This entire thread is completely fucking retarded. Op is a vapid cunt and everyone who replied, myself included, is a waste of space for getting baited.
>>
you are obviously young, but as an oldfag let me tell you: these companies did not contribute shit. apple fought against the ibm pc revolution an sold increasingly locked down black boxes called computers. microsoft was a monopoly and did horrible things. facebook didn't invent jpgs, tcpip, whatever... they just built a framework where they can control it. OP you are a naive youth, but read about UNIX, linux, FSF, BSD vs ATT, eff... these are the reasons we are where we are today. your arguments are in exact opposite from reality, and it genuinely disturbs me. it's like saying tesla [the company] is responsible for civilization having cars, and then going further and claming it's the reason we have roads.
>>
OP is definitely functioning in some sort of jobs-esque reality-distortion-field
>>
File: 1384706198304.png (185 KB, 298x360) Image search: [Google]
1384706198304.png
185 KB, 298x360
>>51680468
nice /pol/, free-fag baito OP, pls kill yourself soon, arigato
>>
>>51680468
Next to Hispanics, blacks, and transgender people, white males are becoming a minority in the USA.

Any company with a high percentage of white males is by definition helping minorities find their jobs.
>>
>>51688113
>turned around 360 degrees and walked away

A 360 degree turn is a full circle, you'll end up facing the same direction after that.

What you mean is, she did a 360 degrees turn and moonwalked away.
>>
It's a good thing you SJW types aren't around in my area in Midwest TX.

I would slap your shit and people would applaud.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.