[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/CCT/ Career and Cert Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: CCNA.jpg (85 KB, 1674x1674) Image search: [Google]
CCNA.jpg
85 KB, 1674x1674
What are you working towards? Need advice? Share your study resources!

If you've got a tech career:

>Job Title
>Years of Experience
>Degrees/Certs
>How did you find/get job
>Pay
>Location
>>
>>51668991
>What are you working towards?
My PhD

>Job Title
PhD student
>Years of Experience
3 years full time developer from the industry
~1.5 years doing part time software development before that
Some less relevant tech stuff such as help desk and TA'ing before that again
>Degrees/Certs
MSc computer science, no certs
My old research group encouraged me to apply for this project
>Pay
~450k NOK a year before taxes, not a lot, but it's manageable
>Location
>>
>>51668991
https://training.linuxfoundation.org/sysadmin-cyber-monday-sale
>>
>>51669227

still too expensive imo. RHCSA or bust.
>>
2nd year student.

do freelance webdev to make rent and eat

west coast
>>
>>51668991
>What are you working towards? Need advice? Share your study resources!
>If you've got a tech career:
>>Job Title
Entry level Medical IT
>>Years of Experience
>>Degrees/Certs
Nope
>>How did you find/get job
Nepotism bitches
>>Pay
~45k a year
>>Location
Texas

Self taught, used to have some certs but they expired long ago. Started out doing IT for an agriculture company but my bosses were all pajeets in designatedstan with no benefits or paid time off. Did my time there and about a year in a friend of mine recommended me for a grunt position swapping keyboards for doctors at a regional hospital. Better pay, actual benefits etc. Jumped on the shit like a neckbeard on a waifu pillow.
>>
System Administrator
2 yrs of web hosting tech support
LPIC/Linux+ and Security+
Just keeping an eye out online
$25 an hr (first job as sysadmin)
SoCal
>>
>Job Title

Sr. Solution Analyst

>Years of Experience

>Degrees/Certs

Cisco CCIE

Generic recruiter

>Pay

>Location

Midwest, US
>>
>>51669429
Mirin friend

Hopefully be on the same level one day
>>
>>51669283
is RHCSA lifetime or 2/3 year renewal?
>>
File: aalq001361.jpg (147 KB, 640x404) Image search: [Google]
aalq001361.jpg
147 KB, 640x404
Free exam answers for everyone, kids http://www.examcollection.com/ Don't pay for anything there, just download a cracked VCE reader.
>>
>>51670100
kek at people using dumps for ccie written and complaining that they failed

what's the fucking point to cheat when you're clearly not going to be able to pass the lab anyways
>>
>>51670243
Exactly, I hope they all kill each other.
>>
>>51670100
Has anyone used these for CCNA? It seems like a bad idea to use it and if I got a job dealing with cisco routers and couldn't actually do jack shit.
>>
>>51671887
Everyone cheats, so should you.
>>
>>51672150
I get the sentiment, but that doesn't exactly seem like it would work out. I mean if you get a job under the pretense that you know the CCNA material then how the fuck are you going to be able to keep the job?

I don't know if these would even work for the newest test that they just released. What about the sims?
>>
>>51672431
Quite right. And yes, the dumps are recent, they always have been because they're updated so damn fast. The whole cert system is a complete joke.
>>
So if I used these braindumps just to make sure that I'd positively ace A+ and Network+ ...how fucked would I be entering a job since they're pretty much beginner certs?

I ask this not because I don't believe that I couldn't pass them both with a little brushing up, but I'd like to just get them knocked out.
>>
>>51672679
That's up to you, how much you actually study and how much you're going to cheat. But don't believe for a second that certs are a good metric to say anything about someone's competence. Not while there's nothing stopping anyone to cheat.
>>
>>51672783
Are you currently in the IT field anon? If so, what position do you hold?
>>
>>51673056
I've held some system and network administration positions, but I worked with too many nutjobs. I soon grew tired of the whole cert system, I really felt being memed and fucked over. If everyone can cheat, without anything to prevent you from doing so, then the system is broken. I saved up, and earned my bachelors instead. Still finishing my masters though, because fuck certs.
>>
I have rhce and rhcsa... They expire pretty soon (3 years life) and I don't think I'll renew them. Been a sysadmin for ten years now, my next move will be into systems architecture
>>
>>51673166
I appreciate all these answers, anon. I ask just because you seem to have a plan which is more than I can say.

What did you major in for your degrees? What positions are gunning for after you finish your degrees?
>>
>>51673166
your job experience != everyone's job experience
>>
>>51670271
>>51670243
I'm killer in the labs. I missed one damn question on the test. Twice. I'm guessing the finer points of how STP works (like I even have to know that shit to know when to use and how to turn it on, I'm talking the nitty gritty background shit).
If I take it, you damn right I'm cheating next time.
>>
>>51673341
I agree, but I've had similar experiences. A degree does matter more and it sucks having to chase after certs, especially if you don't have the money. I work in the Government industry and it's pretty much required to have certs even if you have a degree.
>>
>>51673298
Cool. Yeah sorry, my defences are up... My bachelors was something you could call computer engineering, with an emphasis on networking and digital forensics. My masters is a direct continuation in that field. I already have found some employers, but I'm not sure which to pick yet. My first position would probably be an IT security consultant / IT forensics investigator or something similar.

>>51673341
Quite right. That doesn't change the current cert system though.

>>51673374
Of course you'll cheat, it's like an unwritten rule. But STP is very interesting to study nonetheless. Radia Perlman is a brilliant woman. You should read the STP poem she also wrote, which arguably took her longer to write than STP itself, hehe. I still haven't looked into TRILL though.
>>
>>51673525
Certs are definitely weird things. They're proof of "something", even if not proof of skill. They at least show someone is dedicated to their own bullshit. That's significantly more merit than no proof.
>>
>Job Title
Tier 1 help desk
>Years of Experience
4 days
>Degrees/Certs
A+
government
>Pay
30 grand a year
>Location
nah
>>
File: beyonce.jpg (58 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
beyonce.jpg
58 KB, 540x960
>Job Title
IT student
>Years of Experience
null
>Degrees/Certs
null (Bachelor in IT and Information Systems 2 years from now)
>Location
Scandinavia

What certifications should I start with after finishing my IT degree?
>>
>>51673374
>>51673545
Found it for you:

I think that I shall never see
A graph more lovely than a tree.
A tree whose crucial property
Is loop-free connectivity.
A tree that must be sure to span
So packets can reach every LAN.
First, the root must be selected.
By ID, it is elected.
Least-cost paths from root are traced.
In the tree, these paths are placed.
A mesh is made by folks like me,
Then bridges find a spanning tree.

-Radia Perlman

Going to bed now.
>>
>>51673927
>>51673374
I don't hate that it exists. On top of all the other crap I had to remember exactly correct something about the background processes of SPT just never clicked for me. I was reading chapters about it over and over.
And then I failed the test by just a few points.

Bah.
>>
>>51673674
When Americans say 30 grand a year, that is before taxes, right?

How much do you actually get per month?
Also how much do you spend on healthcare per month? Just curious.
>>
>>51674065
typically americans don't include their taxes
>>
>>51674065
It all depends on the company/state that you're in. Along with how much you make. Some states don't take state taxes and some companies pay more for your healthcare but as an example I make about 68k a year and take home (after taxes) about 54k a year. My company also pays 100% of my insurance

I pay somewhere around 22% tax
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.