[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Old graphics cards
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: 51oEdxjp-nL._SY355_.jpg (29 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
51oEdxjp-nL._SY355_.jpg
29 KB, 355x355
What does /g/ do with their old GPUs?

I am thinking of maybe making an M-ITX build. No point for an HTPC because I live in a studio apartment.

Can't use it for DX12 either because I will never install the superbotnet.
>>
>>51644821
use it as a dedicated physX processor
>>
It is pointless to use old graphics card

GTX 750 Ti outperforms GTX 560 Ti at a fraction of power usage
>>
>>51644869
>It is pointless to use old graphics card
>
>GTX 750 Ti outperforms GTX 560 Ti at a fraction of power usage
Sure, and I agree, but this is what I have, it's basically worthless on the second hand market, and I don't know what to do with it.

>>51644868
>use it as a dedicated physX processor
...Would this really matter when my new card is a 980?
>>
>>51644896
>...Would this really matter when my new card is a 980?
if you're playing a really demanding game a demanding resolution maybe
>>
Keep it for my next frankenstein build that I can sell to some pleb for $5oo as a modern gaming pc.
>>
>>51644869
Also, where the fuck did you get 250W under load for a 560Ti? Nvidia's website lists it at 170 for the normal version and 210 for the 448 version.
>>
>>51644821
Sell them on ebay, I had a ZOTAC gtx480 back then
sold it for 350$
Fucking miss that card
>>
>>51644941
Total system power I think

Nvidia's page lists only the TDP for the graphics card
>>
>>51644821
I just keep mine as an emergency spare in the event the current one dies.
>>
>>51644965
>Total system power I think
I was going to claim bullshit, but then I looked up how little power a 750ti draws at full load: 70W.

Holy shit.
>>
Just keep them around as backup parts.
I guess you can get like 50 bucks for 560 ti, but it's pretty hard to find a buyer for older parts.
>>
>>51645011
Yes, the 750 Ti does not need any PCI power connectors, it can run straight from the PCI slot as that supplies 75w.

Isn't the 500 series Nvidia's famous housefires GPU or was that the 400? I'd probably not want to use it just in case.
>>
>>51644821
I have my 460 sitting in it's box in case I ever need to use it. Better to use that than the meh iGPU if my video card bites the dust.
>>
>>51645107
>Isn't the 500 series Nvidia's famous housefires GPU or was that the 400? I'd probably not want to use it just in case.
I think 480 was the infamous housefires and wood screws card. The other 400 series cards weren't so bad. I had been running the 560ti since release in my current computer and it has never given me any problems. Still runs great, even overclocks, despite me being an idiot multiple times a few years back and locking the fan to 30% and then starting a demanding application. My card has seen 100C far too often.
>>
Can't 560Ti still run modern-ish games on medium settings just fine?
>>
>>51645107
My 550 Ti was a house fire.
Card is basically dead now it needs 100% fan speed ear rape or it goes to 90°C with fresh thermal paste...
>>
>>51645163
>Can't 560Ti still run modern-ish games on medium settings just fine?
Not really. I was getting tons of frame drops on SOMA in 1600x900 windowed mode with default detection settings on.
>>
>>51645011
That's why the 750TI is still so popular nowadays.
You can just stick it in your desktop from work and play games.
>>
>>51644914
using an older card for physx actually bottlenecks the newer card more than the single newer card doing it all by itself.

linusniggertips did a video on it where they tested some setups like that .
>>
If you are a streamer you can use your old GPU to stream and new GPU to play games without the extra load of streaming on the same card
>>
>>51645134
It was the 480, 470, and 465 that were the housefire cards, as they were based off GF100, which was primarily built for compute, not graphics.
The mid and lower ranged cards (GTX 460 and below) used tweaked designs that ended up much more efficient in terms of Perf/watt, but sacrificed some compute performance as a result.
The 500 series used the same modifications and a much more mature node on all of its chips, avoiding the housefire issue entirely.
>>
http://www.3dcenter.org/news/reihenweise-pascal-und-volta-codenamen-aufgetaucht-gp100-gp102-gp104-gp106-gp107-gp10b-gv100

GP107 is coming, the successor to GM107(GTX 750 Ti) with full fixed function HEVC 10bit hardware decoding unlike GM107 which didn't support fixed function HEVC hardware decoding
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.