[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/RMSG/ #2
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: Richard Stallman.jpg (2 MB, 2183x2183) Image search: [Google]
Richard Stallman.jpg
2 MB, 2183x2183
Welcome to Richard Stallman General
/RMSG/ #2

Here we discuss our lord and master Richard Stallman and the role of the Free GNU Operating System in today's modern Free Society.

Join us now and share the software;
You'll be free, hackers, you'll be free.

Hoarders can get piles of money,
That is true, hackers, that is true.
But they cannot help their neighbors;
That's not good, hackers, that's not good.

When we have enough free software
At our call, hackers, at our call,
We'll kick out those dirty licenses
Ever more, hackers, ever more.

>>
I'd like to clear up some erroneous information about where I stand that is circulating on 4chan and perhaps elsewhere.

I have a low opinion of Gentoo GNU/Linux.
Gentoo is a GNU/Linux distribution, but its developers don't recognize this; they call it "Gentoo Linux". That means they are treating me and the GNU Project disresepectfully.

More importantly, Gentoo steers the user towards nonfree programs, which is why it is not one of our recognized free distros.

See the GNU distros list for the distros that I do recommend.

The latest Intel PC processors are useless in the Free World, because they require a proprietary program to initialize the memory and a signed proprietary blob in the northbridge chip.
I don't know how much better the current AMD processors are, but they are surely not worse.

Regarding graphics accelerators for PCs, ATI mostly cooperates with the free software movement, while nVidia is totally hostile. ATI has released free drivers.
However, the ATI drivers use nonfree microcode blobs, whereas most of nVidia's products (excepting the most recent ones) work ok with Nouveau, which is entirely free and has no blobs.

Thus, paradoxically, if you want to be free you need to get a not-very-recent nVidia accelerator.

I wish ATI would free this microcode, or put it in ROM, so that we could endorse its products and stop preferring the products of a company that is no friend of ours.
>>
>>51626733

Android is not, in practice, an entirely free operating system. It has problems , larger or smaller depending on which product. The problems of nonfree driver libraries, and the universal back door in cell phone radio communication software, are imposed by the hardware and are not directly the fault of Android, but that does not make them ok.
There are two different licenses that some refer to as "the BSD license". Both are free software licenses, but the difference has major practical consequences. To avoid confusion, please always say which one you mean — don't say "the BSD license" as if there were just one.
If you support the idea of free software, how about helping our work? Most of the movement's work is done by volunteers, and you can be one of them. See gnu.org/help for a list of suggested ways to help. It is not necessary to be a programmer, because there are other kinds of help we need too.
>>
File: p1000842.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
p1000842.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
http://rms.sexy/
>>
>>51626827
I came buckets
>>
i hope all of you are subscribed to fsf@info
hurd reached 0.7
guix reached 0.9
linux-libre reached 4.3
i am pretty hyped for guix package manager.
>>
>>51626827
That man belly tho.
>>
>>51626827
>Installing gentoo around the world
>>
I wonder of we ever had a greentext story about RMS teaching the true meaning of freedom to Anon.
>Turn on my Thinkpad
>RMS:"Hah!"
>Try to hide the boot-up screen
>RMS:"Gentoo! And the biggest irony is that you proudly hang a Free Software Foundation on your laptop!"
"Richard, please... It's just functional."
>RMS:"You've got a lot to learn, kid."
>>
>>51628394
kek'd hard
>>
what is this called
:^)
>>
Please don't be surprised if I pull out my computer at dinner and begin handling some of my email. I have difficulty hearing when there is noise; at dinner, when people are speaking to each other, I usually cannot hear their words. Rather than feel bored, or impose on everyone by asking them to speak slowly at me, I do some work.
>>
To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies, foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example.
>>
What's the freeest single board pc out there, RMS friends?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.