[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26
File: Qfo8JXC.jpg (175 KB, 1024x572) Image search: [Google]
Qfo8JXC.jpg
175 KB, 1024x572
Intended for users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are three ways to try Linux, you can:

1) Install a Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
2) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full Linux experience".
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with Linux (not recommended)

If you are serious about switching to Linux and if you have Windows dual-booted (recommended for pure newbies), we recommend you use it exclusively for 2 weeks, and avoid Windows dual booting for that period of time, or it's likely you will start retreating back to windows instead of getting used to Linux as your new home and working onmaking it feel the way you want it.

>Recommended for beginners:
-*buntus except vanilla Ubuntu (Unity)
-Debian (For Broadcom devices, use an ISO that includes non-free firmware)
-openSUSE
-LinuxMint (a.k.a Ubuntu LTS + Cinnamon)

Before asking, please find the answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe wine can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
your friendly neighborhood search engine
>>>/g/sqt
https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/learn-the-command-line
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/
>>
What is Linux (or GNU/Linux for Stallmanists)?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux

Babby's First GNU/Linux (What distro to choose?)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux (Babbies_First_GNU/Linux)

What software does /g/ recommend? (Please DON'T include the so called infographic -- refer all your recommended software here.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software

Ricing on GNU/Linux (Make it good and functional or make it worse like those at desktop threads)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing

A script designed to ease the transition from Windows to Debian
https://github.com/Chocolate-Chip-Computing/DebianNewbieScript

We now have an entry in the install Gentoo wiki!
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php//flt/
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-29_23-06-13.png (2 MB, 1919x1059) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-29_23-06-13.png
2 MB, 1919x1059
>>51606342
Reporting in from Archland
>>
>>51606342
Which Linux distribution should I install on my new chromebook?>>51606342
>>
>>51606608
antergos
it's arch for the lazy man
>>
What if all the numbers and equations are all shite when I take acid or when I am just in a very deep mind state? Talking about the fractal dimensions and for instance the calculations of the Sierpinski triangle...
Weird and very strange stuff happens when I start calculating this with my calculator and it just fits way too perfect into this reality I'm in right now. It just can't be right and also says 50 - which is the codeword for cops as far as I know. And I hate cops.

GNU/Linux forever, br0s. Only here I feel free enough for golden shit like this, I even stopped using drugs so I can into maths again.
But in my opinion this stuff is way too weird.

piC related is one of the most beautiful fractals I've found on the web so far. I'm looking into making more fractal stüff with my new Linux workstation soon.

I wish I could post here with a VPN, but the retarded 4chan homosex keks prevent me from posting here anonymously. I hate them with the hate of about 18 thousand suns for that. I hope they are going to feel that soon.
>>
>>51606608
Ubuntu?
>>
File: bike_fly.jpg (767 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
bike_fly.jpg
767 KB, 1280x720
>>51606342
I am using centOS and I have an issue uderstanding how to use postfix to send email from local root user to a simple admin user on the same system.

Can any of you find resources or help me ouit
>>
>>51606681
http://google.com and manpages would be the most helpful resources, anon.
>>
>>51606689
pls go.
>>
Where can I change mouse wheel scrolling speed in Linux Mint?
>>
>>51606689
google has complex uses and refers to smtp as sendmail. No explanation over using a mta and the use of postfix. In fact some don't even install postfix but install mta. Well start - postfix.

The man page is not help for setting up a service just the options applied to that service. if you try to learn a service or configure a service from install to operation with the man pages then you are simply retarded.
>>
>>51606701

I was just dicking around with this. You can't.

Look into imwheel. You have to install it, fuck around with a text file, and find some way to run the stupid thing at startup time.
>>
xubuntu vs kubuntu vs manjaro vs mint which oneeee
>>
File: 2015-11-30_8fcdd.png (519 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-30_8fcdd.png
519 KB, 1366x768
>>51606608
Only Ubuntu with Unity - unity have awesome integration with chrome and firefox webapps. On my screenshot you can see working 'Cut The Rope' from firefox marketplace and icon for 'Google Keep' from chromium.
>>
>>51606730
Not Manjaro.
>>
>>51606730
xubuntu 15 allows the menu to be changed to any look you want.

The speed is also very fast. however when I used it to run virtulized software I kept getting errors on time on.

I switched to centOS and never had an issue while using linux. Although not fancy for desktops it can be adjusted enough to be like fedora.
>>
File: horrifying.jpg (56 KB, 225x220) Image search: [Google]
horrifying.jpg
56 KB, 225x220
>>51606716
And I was about to get really impressed about how everything seems to simply work.
>>
>>51606757
it works but requires you to read the forum on a non 4chan related retarded post....
>>
>>51606757

Things mostly work, and then some little thing is a goddamn unbelievably time sink.

Just now, I wanted to connect to my VPN, but only for Transmission. That's easy peasy, you just connect and edit Transmission's settings file so it only binds to the VPN's address.

Not so fast. Doesn't work AT ALL. Either all my data goes over the VPN, or none of it.

Gotta do a bunch of random fuckery with routing and shit. The first page of Google results have something like five completely unrelated methods of doing it, and I have no idea which would be the right one for me.

Like I said, it's great until you hit a gigantic time sink.
>>
What's the terminal command to see the current time of the machine?

time
just gives me
real    0m0.000s
user 0m0.000s
sys 0m0.000s
>>
>>51606821
Just create a Linux VM, install Linux into it, install openvpn (if necessary) and do whatever you want in that VM with your VPN.
>>
I was running OpenSUSE + Gnome. It was pretty (aside from the fonts), but kind of weird.

I repaved with Linux Mint Cinnamon today. It's Gnome, right? But everything is all weird.

All I want is a proper dark theme.

Under OpenSUSE + Gnome, I ran the Tweak Tool and set Global Dark Theme. It worked perfectly. Everything was gorgeous.

Now, on Linux Mint, Tweak Tool's Global Dark Theme selector doesn't seem to do anything. I screwed around with themes and got a dark theme going, but the window titles were all still light gray. I eventually got window titles to match the dark theme, but, for example, Firefox's tabs and address bar are light gray, as is the slider. WTF?

How do I get OpenSUSE + Gnome's "Global Dark Theme" behavior on Linux Mint Cinnamon?
>>
>>51606831
uptime
>>
>>51606847

Yeah. That seems kind of ridiculous, though.
>>
>>51606821
Yeah split tunneling is a bitch. But frankly, it's even worse on Windows if the program doesn't come with an option to bind it to an adapter.
>>
>>51606868
Now I feel stupid for not trying it for myself when I needed it a few hours ago.
Is there a possibility to see seconds (even nanoseconds), too? I want to know it from 4chan, that's why I ask here and not on a search engine.
>>
>>51606915

>if the program doesn't come with an option to bind it to an adapter.

Transmission, or Transmission-QT in that case, has exactly that.

Before discovering that, I had several firewall rules that worked reasonably well to prevent bittorrent traffic over my main connection.
>>
>>51606897
I think it's way more ridiculous to always have to tell every single program to use the VPN instead of just telling the virtualized system to do so. Once the VPNs data is entered in the VMs openvpn (or similar), you can use IRC, torrents, DDL etc. without having to configure every single thing manually again.
>>
>>51606959
>I think it's way more ridiculous to always have to tell every single program to use the VPN

...but I only want to tell one program, Transmission, to do so.
>>
>>51606975
http://askubuntu.com/questions/37412/how-can-i-ensure-transmission-traffic-uses-a-vpn
Hmm.. Are you that guy?
>>
having some problems, can anyone help?

>installing Debian on a partition of my MacBook (inb4 eating shit)
>installation completes, no errors
>reboot, Debian won't boot, hangs on underscore
>give up for the time being
>go to erase partition, "Couldn't Read Partition Map"
>install Debian again, still hangs, still can't delete partition

any ideas on how to fix this?
>>
File: ?.png (4 KB, 102x62) Image search: [Google]
?.png
4 KB, 102x62
anyone know the name of these programs
>>
>>51607076
shutter on the right
>>
>>51607076
Right is shutter.
>>
>>51607064
install gentoo+systemd
>>
>>51607189
and do what with that
>>
Removed systemd and rebooted, is dbus why keyboard and mouse are not working in X (work in tty)?
>>
>>51608293
chmod +x /path/to/goddamned
if it's shell script, don't forget about
#!/bin/sh
on the top
>>
File: gnome.jpg (12 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
gnome.jpg
12 KB, 300x300
How do you guys pronounce GUI? Like, "gee-you-eye" or "gooey"?
And what about GNOME? Like "gee-nome" or "guh-nome" or like pic related?
>>
What program do you guys use to read manga?
>>
>>51608414
gooey
(g)nome.

scuzzy
why-fy
sar-ta
ehm-pee-vee
>>
>>51608585
Mcomix, you could also use zathura with cb plugin for le minimal. This is for local archives if you want web integration not sure man.
>>
Anyone get either VNR or ITHVNR to work with Wine? I can't get either to run at all. Running latest wine 1.7.55 on Arch.
>>
Linux for Desktop?

Been using Linux awhile and thinking of doing Xen Passthrough so I can use it as a main desktop and not just on laptops and specialty devices.

Debating between:
Debian
Linux Mint
Linux Mint Debian

As much as I ditched the buntu family some time ago the support for anything based on it is nice and the extra repos are good too. So I'm actually leaning that way.

Usually use LXDE because of shit devices, but for desktop KDE, Cinnamon, or is LXQT actually able to be pretty because getting scaling right on LXDE has been a pain.
>>
>>51607877
Don't remove systemd.
>>
>>51606848
Install a dark theme like arc or numix. I did exactly what you did.
>>
>>51608414
>GUI
gee-you-eye
>GNOME
Gah-nome (I prefer Gee-nome anyway :^) )
>>
>>51608414
Jee, you, I.
nome. Like the place in Alaska. Slitent G, silent e.

>>51609781
Debian is pretty good but thine own choice, it is.

>>51607064
Does grub start? Is OSX still installed?
>>
File: 1448881797941.png (201 KB, 773x1634) Image search: [Google]
1448881797941.png
201 KB, 773x1634
Is this guide correct?
>>
>>51610473
Looks outdated. But should mostly work fine. Most of the configuration is done using systemd.
>>
Can anyone recommend a fun / useful project that'll help me get better at cli and / or scripting in linux?
>>
>>51610523
Contribute to SlackBuilds.org
>>
>>51606916
Forgot how to put code on 4chan, but date +"%I:%M:%S:%N" will show you hours, minutes, seconds and nanoseconds.
>>
>>51610473
It won't give you any root privilages
>>
Anyone use oh-my-zsh or zsh in general? If yes post config?
>>
>>51606342
>independent republic of Fedora
>independent
>>
>>51610727
I use it, but I won't see why you're asking for a config file.
>>
Yesterday I installed Mint Cinnamon as my first ever taste of Linux after using Windows 7 for years, my hard drive is dying and I have already backed it up but when I purchase a new hard drive I am curious as to which distribution I should use, after viewing the prism-break software list and seeing the arguments used to avoid all forms of ubuntu distributions, should I switch from something based off of Ubuntu to something else entirely? Are these different distributions based off of Debian and other forms of GNU/Linux as easy to use? Should I just give in completely and install something like gNewsense? Or is this all paranoia and should I just be happy with what I have?
>>
Ok so I love Linux, I really do.
I use it for my media server, my laptop...but not my desktop
I play games
>inb4 /v/
I've heard that games is getting better on Linux, but I still play games that can't be run under Linux.
Is there any way to play games from EA (Origin) on any Linux distribution, or at least how can I play all Windows games from Steam in Linux? I've tried before with PlayOnLinux but games just crash when loaded.
Any way I can convert to Linux fully?
>>
>>51606831
time measures how long something takes to run, like;
time sleep 1

should give around 1 second

date to get the actual time and date
cal for a calendar
uptime for how long the machines' been running for since the last boot
>>
>>51609957
thanks lennard
>>
>>51606631
yes, i agree, posting from proxies would be nice
>>
>>51608414
Graphical user interface
>>
Are there any special commands to clean up my Linux system or it clean itself? I already did -autoremove and -clean. Linux mint based.
>>
>>51611898
Delete .cache
>>
>>51606608

I put Debian Testing minimal install with i3 on my new Chromebook.

Running pretty slick so far.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-30_07-15-27.png (1 MB, 1922x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-30_07-15-27.png
1 MB, 1922x1080
whats a good minimalistic icon package that works with fucking pasystray
>>
>>51612417
Why is suddenly everyone using Arc theme?
>>
>>51612458
i'm just too busy to bother trying to find anything more unique
>>
>>51612492
but how come everyone knows about this theme?
>>
Has anyone used elementary OS? It looks kinda comfy, but I haven't had much time to mess around with it yet.
>>
>>51612533
like any other gnome 3.
>>
>>51612512
is it a super sekret klub?
>>
>>51607076
The first one must be Qclip or something maybe.
It automatically saves your clipboard and it's rather extensive.
>>
I have no clue what the fuck I am doing and I would like some help, my USB isn't working and I don't know what to do and googling isn't helping because it's all mumbo jumbo to me. I had Linux Mint which i instaled from a liveusb and then i deleted everything from the usb when I had mint installed, but then I wanted to try out elementary so i used the same usb stick and installed elelmentary and now elementary is installed but package managers dont work or something and everything on the usb is read only and i can't delete anything on it, it also only has on the file header thing / and not anything else, how do i fix this and what information do i need to give you people to help me fix this issue, i want to keep distro hopping but not if i have to buy 20 usb storage devices
>>
>>51612554
I dont know. Is it somewhere popular? How did everyone hear about it in a matter of few days. Arc theme on every desktop lol..
>>
>>51612619
open startup disk creator and erase the usb
>>
>>51612759
i can't install it when i try to open software center it just closes right back up
>>
>>51612852
also when i unplug the usb it still says its plugged in and named File System, even if i plug in a different usb with nothing on it, should I just reinstall a different OS or should I give up and wait until I get a new hard drive?
>>
>>51612458
Dunno cause it's shit.
Numix frost is much cleaner.
>>
>>51612973
>numix
pleb detected
>>
>>51610219
grub starts and then once I select Debian or Recovery or anything it hangs, and yea OSX is all g
>>
did the thing, installed gentoo

now I can't mount my usb hard drive to watch movies and stuff. It's probably in a weird format or something, also says it can't be found in fstab. Do I really need to add a removable drive to fstab?
>>
>>51612991
There is nothing better and you know it, who the fuck wants to use a theme with transparency (arc) or one where you can't see any borders (paper)?
>>
I have fucking had it with windows and I dont know what to do

basically what I want to do is
>code (learning C# in Visual Basic)
>watch films, stream shit etc
>play world of warcraft and war thunder
>write shit, preferably in original microsoft office

office is not mandatory, I have my macbook for that mostly

please help before I fucking straight up stab my monitor
>>
>>51613538
Stab it. Post the result.
>>
>>51613548
I probably wont since I cant afford a new one but if I do I will post
>>
What do I put in mpv.conf to get some kind of GUI for seeking. Is there a go-to .conf?
>>
>>51613538
Easy, linux is designed to have sane build environments
Also easy, mplayer, mpv, and vlc all work beautifully
Maybe? https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=1922
you could try libre office and see how that works for you
>>
>>51606748
>adjusted to be like fedora

Implying that's a good thing
>>
>>51606831
"date" prints the current system date, including time.

You can supply a format string to print the date according to you wishes. Pls refer to the appropriate man page.
>>
>>51606916
date +'%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%N (%:z UTC)'

Prints the current date, with microseconds, and current timezone.

man date for more information.
>>
A little under a 3rd of my Steam library already has a Linux install. What would be a good estimate for how much would work including Wine?
>>
File: RMST.gif (422 KB, 346x459) Image search: [Google]
RMST.gif
422 KB, 346x459
OK.

I'm off to the challenge of setting up my Debian laptop to access a folder in my Windows 10 desktop via LAN.

Using:
-Debian Testing amd64
-Windows 10 x64
-LAN working fine right now between Win10 and other computers in my house (a Win7 laptop and desktop). Group is enabled. My workgroup is "WORKGROUP".

My Debian laptop has samba installed but I have no idea how to set it up. Any help?

Thanks
>>
>>51614522
Do you want to acces a windows samba share?
You don't need samba but samba-client.
Also depending on your DE you may need to download additional packages for your file manager.

I don't know if it's the case in Debian but in Fedora you also have to change firewall settings, by default all new networks are set to "public" zone where smb-client is disabled.
>>
>>51615057
xfce with thunar
installing smbclient right now.
what should I do now?
>>
>>51615251
Check if you have gvfs/thunar-gvfs packages installed.
If you have smbclient already installed it should work ootb. Just relog.
>>
Has anyone here ever successfully attempted GPU passthrough?

I know for sure that my processor supports VT-d and I think my board does too maybe since there is a BIOS option to enable virtualisation, which is vague but could mean both VT-x and/or VT-d.

Is is madness to attempt this on a laptop? I have a Lenovo y50 with i7 4710HQ and nvidia 860m. I've read somestuff about how the Quadro range support this oob but that regular Geforce series can be soft hacked to make them think they are a Quadro.
>>
>>51615295
I got them. Looks like I need to configure something, but I don't know what. At Debian Install, I was asked to add my workgroup name, and I did, but that's all the LAN config I've ever done. I don't know how to check/configure LAN.
>>
>>51606342
How do I make my samba be access to my entire network and not just what is connect to router
>>
Should I Lubuntu?
>how do I mp3 on it?
>>
Hi Linuxfriends

With Win10 trying every few minutes to put in the wrong hole I'm ready to go back to linux. Use debian for years but only for personal programming projects.

I was wondering if anyone here had experience with PS1 emulation on linux. Basically SH1 and FFT1.3 are the two things I'm most interested in. Considering Steam as well since console gaming is fucking dead. Any advice on hardware (building a desktop in the next month or so) is very appreciated.
>>
>>51615782
>PS1 emulation on linux
Pretty good, comparable to windows same with PS2 emulation.
>>
How do I change the volume of channels when downmixing in mpv?

I have audio-channels set to 2 and while left surround, right surround, and LFE play they're all super quiet (like barely audible). How would I make left surround and right surround play louder?
>>
>>51615849
>same with ps2 emulation
PCSX2 runs perfect on windows and is unplayable on linux for me
>>
>>51615849
Are you using epsxe in wine or are there linux-native emulators? Sorry I'm really new to this world. My PS1 died and it's time to transition.
>>
>>51615782
pcsx-reloaded

also
>>>/v/
>>
>>51615768
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
>>
>>51615957
>but muh gnu
>>
>>51615869
>>51615870
I'm not currently on Linux since the only PC I have currently is a laptop and I've had issues with my Nvidia GPU's drivers on Linux.

epsxe is also available on Linux now iirc, I've had success with pcxsr though

pcsx2 ran fine for me on linux a year or so ago, performance was comparable to windows. I didn't even have a dGPU back then, just ran it on an iGPU on a Pentium M with 2gigs of RAM
>>
BUMPES
>>
If this is still alive:
I used Ubuntu then mint cinnamon and then used mint XFCE with some theme or something. Here I am now, barely remember Linux and using windows 10. I want to go back, considering mint again because I found the install a few clicks and done. The issue is that I'm a lazy and not very creative person and am wondering if I can get some sort of "pre-rice", I've seen guides but I don't want that much freedom on design. The sort of stuff on the desktop threads looks alright, I use two different size screens as well.
>>
Are there any versions of good text editors for Linux that are comparable to Notepad++?
>>
>>51616204
>pre-rice
Manjaro i3 edition. Just don't actually tell anyone you're running manjaro.
>>
So if I want to add a script to execute when new users login, I would just throw it in the /etc/skel/.bash_profile right?
>>
I used to run Fedora, but now I need Debian.
what's the equivalent of sudo dnf update? can I still install and remove packages with something like sudo dnf install programname/sudo dnf remove programname?
Debian stable comes with outdated software, what should I do if I want java 8 instead of 7? I installed java 8 adding a weird repository but now I don't know if 7 and 8 can coexist
>>
>>51616251
Thanks. Would like a link to this version, I'm rather confused.
From what I can see it looks a bit "non-free", any shit to run or whatever?
>>
>>51616335
Debian uses apt
1) apt-get update
2) apt-cache search [pkg]
3) apt-get install [pkg]
>>
>>51616251
>>51616422
Got the link, systemd or openrc?
+any help
>>
>>51616335
>what's the equivalent of sudo dnf update?
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
Yes debian is so retarded you have to update metadata manually
>>
I'm installing Arch soon. Can I always use root instead of creating a new user or is it too risky?
>>
>>51616537
how is this retarded, exactly
>>
What should I use for screen recording under linux?
>>
>>51616586
>Can I always use root
for what purpose
>>
>>51616586
If you live on your lonesome and aren't an idiot then you should be fine
>>
>>51616649
ffmpeg
>>
>>51616729
ffmpeg can do screen recording?
>>
>>51616804
ffmpeg can do a lot of things actually.
>>
>>51616715
thanks
>>
>>51616586

Using your computer logged in as root all the time is like always carrying around all your keys, your passport, $5,000 in cash, that piece of paper with all your passwords written on it and the only photo you have of Flopsy, the adorable rabbit whose death broke your seven-year-old heart. Oh, and a chainsaw.

Which is to say, it's mighty convenient from time to time, because it means you can do whatever you want, whenever you want, without needing to go back home to get stuff or talk to your bank manager. But it also puts you at great risk of losing stuff, having it stolen (don't think that chainsaw will help you: you'll be streets away before you notice your wallet's gone), doing things you really regret later (impulse-buying plane tickets to Vegas while drunk), taking dangerous shortcuts (chainsawing through the lion enclosure fence because that's the fastest way to the pandas) and over-reacting (chainsawing your neighbour's car because his dog barks too much). And, when you think about it, mostly, you're just going to the office, going grocery shopping, hanging out with your friends. You don't need all that stuff with you all the time just for the convenience of needing it, what?, once a month? Once a week?

So, no, it's not OK to use the root account all the time. It gives you a tiny amount of convenience but puts you in a lot of danger. There's the danger of stupid mistakes having catastrophic results. There's the danger of acclimating yourself to the idea that all files are equal and you can just mess about with whatever you want, anywhere in the directory tree. There's the danger that any hack to your account is immediately a hack to the whole system, so now every single piece of software on your machine is security-critical.

Root is your spiderman costume. It gives you great power but requires great responsibility. It's there in the closet whenever you need it, so you don't have to wear it all the time.
>>
Is Mageia GNU/Linux any good I've been eyeing the system up for a while now.
>>
I'm trying to install Windows 8.1 for dual booting with my Arch installation (Arch came first) - so I freed some space, installed Windows 8.1, reinstalled Grub2 and am now wondering how to add Windows 8.1 to the grub2 menu. Any tips? I can successfully boot into my old arch installation, but can't find a way to boot into Windows 8.1.
>>
>>51616586

useradd -m -G sudo anon

passwd anon

visudo
anon ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

logout/login

ez
>>
>>51617322
Grub2 should automatically detect Windows 8.1 all you need is the os-prober something package.
>>
>>51617322
$ sudo pacman -S os-prober
$ su
# grub-mkconfig > /boot/grub/grub.cfg
>>
>>51617378
>-G sudo
It's -G wheel, anon. usergroup sudo is deprecated.
>>
>>51617382
Installing the os-prober fixed it. Thanks!
>>
>>51617404

huh, explains why the group was never added during sudo install.
>>
I can't figure out where the hell qbittorent is installed. I'm trying to set it up where it will just throw torrent files and magnet links into it when I'm getting shit from icecat.
>>
>>51618211
Did you try which?
>>
>>51618211
dpkg -L qbittorrent
which qbittorrent
>>
>>51618271
Which? Also is there just an easy to use GUI tool for this sort of thing?
>>
Does Linux hate AMD GPUs? I've only ever owned Nvidia cards since way back in the Riva 128 days.

Right now my Linux box has a GTX 560 Ti, but I want to swap it out for something that is more efficient and has a lower TDP. It also has an FX-8350 so I'm trying to get my case temps down.

I could get an R7 240 for cheap. It has a 30W TDP and it should have more than enough power for desktop usage. Will I end up ripping my hair out trying to get it to play nice with Debian? Should I just stick to the 560 Ti since everything works fine with it?
>>
>>51618330
Yes, which
And screw the gui, why would it care to show where something is installed anyway?
>>
>>51618330
Which is a standard UNIX command. Run man which to learn about it.
>Also is there just an easy to use GUI tool for this sort of thing?
Yes, it's called a terminal emulator.
>>51618336
Rather AMD hates Linux.
>>
>>51618336
In my experience AMD drivers for linux are actually superior.

With AMD on Debian, you add non-free firmware and 99% of the time you're done. With Nvidia, it's not so great.
>>
>>51618410
>With Nvidia, it's not so great.
Well, if you use nouveau...
>>
>>51618410
Yeah, Nvidia needs sort of a secret handshake to get it working nicely in Debian, but we're just used to it I think. Install the proprietary package, reboot, run nvidia-xconfig, reboot, add a line in xorg.conf to force full compositing and get rid of tearing.
>>
Compton vs Weston for compositing? (sorry if they're different, I don't know any others or what the difference is)
>>
>>51618505
weston is the compositor for wayland.
>>
>>51618505
>Compton vs Weston for compositing?
Compton is Xorg, Weston is Wayland.
>>
>open containing folder doesn't use my filemanager with icecat
fuck you icecat.
>>
>>51618479
Why are people using this distro, where everything is such a chore?
>>
As a future small business owner (opening shop in January), what benefit do I have of installing Linux on my secretaries PC and on my own?

It's a short term loan store. We will be using address book and calendar software.
>>
>>51618645
>using GNU IceCat
your fault
>>
>>51618649
What chore?
>>
>>51618652
Theres no games so your secretary have to focus at work.
>>
>>51618717
>no games
There are even more games you could play in an office environment
>>
>>51618717
are you seriously implying she wouldn't be rocking dorfs and wesnoth like a fucking champ
>>
>>51618716
>Nvidia needs sort of a secret handshake to get it working nicely in Debian, but we're just used to it I think. Install the proprietary package, reboot, run nvidia-xconfig, reboot, add a line in xorg.conf to force full compositing and get rid of tearing.
On Arch, you just install the nvidia package. Unless maybe the guy I quoted is an idiot.
>>
>>51618847
On Arch you'd need to do that too when you want to install Nvidia-drivers.
Unless you use other software taking care of those.
Propably because drivers have next to nothing to do with the distro anyway.
>>
>>51618918
Defaults have.
>>
>>51618975
Defaults have what? Defaults won't make your multi-monitor setup run, and screen tearing will be a bitch depending on what software you run. (which you could also run on Debian)
>>
>>51618652
>We will be using address book and calendar software.
Well, most important one will be the cost, which besides your time needed to set everything up correctly, will be zero.

What software exactly will you run?

For such environment I would suggest running something like centos (free version of redhat enterprise linux).
It has a tremendously long support cycle (like 10 years long), so in theory you could forget about maintaining your computers
Also rhel/centos is considered (or at least marketed) as a distro for mission critical applications, so reliability issues will not be a problem.
RHEL/CentOS 7 will reach end-of-life in june 30 2024.

Do you expect/need such long lifecycle/reliability?

Tell me more, maybe I'll recommend something different.
>>
>>51618649
Debian has the compatibility of Ubuntu, stability, and the net installer lets you start from a minimal install. Its packages are much older than Arch's, and it takes less work to get up and running than Arch.

Honestly it's just one more option in a sea of distros. If you happen to want all those things, it's a great distro.
>>
Hello i use ubuntu but one day the network stop and i can't connect. How can i fix that
>Thanks
>>
>>51619212
please do the needful, thanks you
>>
>>51619234
I can smell the poo in loo
>>
>>51619487
DESIGNATED NETWORK ADAPTER?
>>
On Arch and I just noticed that xf86-video-ati provides two drivers: "ati" and "radeon". What's the difference between these?
>>
>>51620723
Just use the default.
>>
>>51621095
>vesa
Why the fuck would I use vesa when I can use ati or radeon? Hell with my current configuration X crashes if I try to start it with vesa
>>
>>51621141
radeon it is.
>>
>>51621213
That's what I'm currently using, but what's the difference between that and the ati driver?
>>
File: 1448703800191.png (586 KB, 1354x1246) Image search: [Google]
1448703800191.png
586 KB, 1354x1246
>>51612973
>numix
top pleb
>>
File: 1447595597144.png (106 KB, 749x573) Image search: [Google]
1447595597144.png
106 KB, 749x573
>>51621428
hello manjarofag, how's that ssl thing going?
>>
File: Enjoy your stay.jpg (26 KB, 535x261) Image search: [Google]
Enjoy your stay.jpg
26 KB, 535x261
>>51619212
>Hello i use ubuntu but one day the network stop and i can't connect. How can i fix that
Wellcome to /g/
>>
File: 1448842085821.png (243 KB, 1366x1578) Image search: [Google]
1448842085821.png
243 KB, 1366x1578
>>51621457
I couldn't install antergos you know :^)
>>
Hey /flt/,
I don't care if you don't remember me but I was the guy that wiped the hard drive trying to install mint.
Well I finally got it back up and running on a Windows image (with a little help from my friend) and I downloaded virtualbox.

I'm running into a bit of an issue where mint won't boot past the "automatic boot in 10 seconds" screen, it'll reach zero and stay there.

I'm only capable of running 32 bit systems on virtualbox for some reason, and I know I downloaded the 32 bit version of mint.

I don't run into this problem with Ubuntu, but when I install Ubuntu and start it up again I get "APCI PCC Probe Failure" and I've tried installing it 3 different times and it hasn't worked.

I don't know what is causing this issue but I'm just gonna post all my specs, maybe it's something wrong with my hardware? It really shouldn't be but here it is

i7-3537U
8.00 GB of RAM
64-bit Windows 8.1
>>
>>51621567
>he's too fucking stupid to click next next next

Enter this command:
sudo date -s 2015-04-06 +09
>>
>>51621650
>next
>next
>next
>New updates found; Installing
>wait
>next
>next
>next
I/O out of sync. Go download architect

Top_tier_software_design.py
>>
>>51621573
Don't use Mint, it's literally Manjaro of Ubuntu. It's broken by design.
>>
>>51619081
I'd like to tell you what I'll be doing and maybe you can recommend me some software

Customer walks in, they fill out an application (by hand) secretary inputs their info into the computer. One day before the due date, secretary gets a notification to call and remind client his loan is due.
>>
>>51621699
okay, but that still doesn't solve my issue of "APCI PCC Probe Failure", would you happen to know what causes this? Most of the stuff I've been reading about are people actually installing Ubuntu on their machines and are talking about BIOS Flashing
>>
>>51621751
If you install antergos, there'd be no problem
>>
>>51621767
No shit. Antergos comes with in-built breakage-free technology. Just click next,next and the package will never break. Sure the installer is a bit broken but if you try the second or third time, you can install Arch in a few moments, thanks to the ultra high speed Antergos (TM) servers :^)
>>
>>51621705
Well I assume you don't want to write your own software.

I honestly have no idea what software to use in such case. Do you have any windows software for such task?

I think you could make libreoffice base to do that. I'm only worried about the notification, no idea if base does that.
>>
>>51622398
Just checked, I think LO base will do just fine. Which is good because backing up your data will be easy as fuck.
Definately look into it. >>51621705
>>
Running a live usb Manjaro 15.09

How do I install Adobe Flash Player via Terminal?
How do I get/install Chrome Dev/Chromium Dev?
>>
>>51622479
Why the fuck would you install flash player?
>>
>>51622479
install base-devel, yajl and yaourt. Then
yaourt chromium-pepper-flash
yaourt chromium
Read the wiki
>>
>>51622495

Because I need it for some sites I want to use. The fuck's it to you anyway?
>>
My biggest issue when I downloaded ubuntu was watching chaturbate ? Can any anon help ?
>>
>>51622556
>The fuck's it to you anyway?
Well, retards with pcs being vulnerable because of flash affect everybody by becoming parts of (actual) botnets/spreading vriuses.
>>
>>51622680

Come on, anon. I know because the media affected you on giving flash a bad rap doesn't mean you need to be ignorant at how many sites still use Flash/depend on flash.
>>
>>51622722
> the media affected you
And here's a typical retarded flash-user. At least run a browser in a VM if you want to use that shit.
And no, not the media affected me, it's countless vulnerability reports that did.
>>
>>51622771

>countless vulnerability reports

nigga we need flash for xvideos.com, what else ?
>>
>>51622771

an academic has entered the arena

Do you also clean all your usb interfaces after ejecting them manually?
>>
>>51622771
>>51622722
check 'em
www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list.php?vendor_id=53&product_id=6761page=1&cvssscoremin=9&year=2015&order=1&trc=216
>>
>>51622841
Jokes aside, do you know of any good anime streaming website that doesn't use flash?
>>
Absolute beginner here, why is anything but vanilla Ubuntu recommended?
>>
>>51622877
>amazon spyware
>>
>>51622852

I have a perfect one for you.

twist.moe
>>
>>51622829
>Do you also clean all your usb interfaces after ejecting them manually?
I eject my shit in your mouth, flashtard :^3
>>51622852
No I don't watch streams sry
>>
>>51622897
Thanks anon
>>
I run fedora 21 (updating to 23 in a day or two)

Has anyone every gotten age of empires 3 or civilization 4 to work with WINE? I've been googling this one for months and I've got nothing.

I was just in a thread talking about how shit Firefox is; is pale moon a good alternative? And what privacy/security plugins are a must-have?
>>
Other then the added things like Openbox, tint2 etc. What is the difference between Bunsen and Debian? I want to use Debian, but Bunsen looks great out of the box.

Is it hard for a new guy to start linux with a DE?
>>
File: cronshit.png (25 KB, 737x488) Image search: [Google]
cronshit.png
25 KB, 737x488
Retard here

I've never used cron before, set up a job to run this over complicated shell script on my slowlaris box to rotate an image on my website by randomly selecting one and then symlinking "front.png" to it. It worked fine when run by root or the "web" user that was supposed to execute it from any directory.

When the job did it, however, it would totally fuck up the prior removal of the existing symlink and stop the job, blanking out the image altogether. I tried replacing it with a more crude copy-and-overwrite method that deleted it fine but for some reason couldn't create a new one after. I'm not really sure what's going on.

Does /flt/ see anything wrong with the crontab or the script? The permissions from the ls -l output should all be assigned to web but since I ran it as root it created a front.png with root ownership.
>>
>>51623002
Expanding on that, I removed flash and Java from my system a few weeks back and have no intention of reinstalling them. I currently use html5 video and just don't use Java programs. What's the best flash substitute? Is there a Java substitute that isn't bullshit?
>>
>>51623002
>And what privacy/security plugins are a must-have?
uMatrix imo. It does break most websites in default configuration so at first you gotta manually whitelist a lot of shit but it's 100% worth spending time on, cause all 3rd party shit can't get to you now.
Also the obvious https everywhere
>>
>>51623005
bravo good sir, excellent use of subtlety in plugging your distro, would check out again. if you're real the difference is how lazy you are vs how much you wanna rice
>>
Im trying to set up dual boot using this guide
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2/Chainloading
However, just adding
menuentry "Windows 7 BIOS MBR" { insmod part_msdos insmod ntldr insmod ntfs ntldr (hd0,msdos1)/bootmgr } 

Doesnt work, as I get a /boot/bcd error until I restore the mbr (which gets rid of grub2), even though I have the /boot folder, so I tried using grub2-probe as the guide suggests, but it tells me the
--hint-bios=hd1,msdos1
command doesnt exist
>>
>>51610523

1) Get qemu-kvm working
2) download a minimal distro (TinyCore Linux for example)
3) figure out how to create a bridge interface, then run your host eth0 through it, then run a tun/tap (tun0) through the bridge so your first vm can get network access (the bridge interface works like an ethernet switch, eth0 & tun0 will share it)
4) make a bash script for when the vm starts, that will:
- detect if a bridge interface is running or not
- if so, create an appropriately named tun0/tun1/tun2/tun# interface and hook it up to the bridge
- take down it's tun interface properly when the VM starts
5) Fire up 5 or 10 TinyCore VM's this way, see if they're all on the same "network" now, see if they can communicate
6) Write scripts for the VM's to run, to get some traffic going back and forth between them. Have one run a web server.
7) Startup Kali Linux, start learning various basic attacks, see what problems you can cause for your little internet of VM's.
8) Script the Kali stuff
9) Add an unpatched Windows XP vm to the mix.
10) See how complex you can make your simulated network, script as much as possible.

Basically, bash script your own personal pen testing dojo, where you can spawn various distros & OS's and experiment on them.

All of this can be done from the command line with basic Linux networking tools, output redirection, cut/sed/awk/grep, etc.

> I'm currently in the middle of step #4 myself. This project is going to be fun.
>>
>>51623131
I don't really like whitelisting every single site I visit. Is noscript a valid substitute?

Also, I had the myWOT extension, but considering how many websites have 0 reviews from them, I don't trust it. What's a good plugin for figuring out if a website is bullshit? I've got urlcheck but I don't trust that much either.
>>
>>51606631
whatever your on i want three bushels of it.
>>
So what file am I supposed to Nvidia settings to? I don't see a file named xorg.config in x11
>>
>>51606342
What's the difference between XFCE, Cinnamon, KDE, and MATE for Linux Mint?
>>
>>51622398
Thanks for the info. I'll look into LO.

How would Linux mint be for a distro? Which version would you recommend?
>>
>>51623896
Learn about Desktop Environment
>>51623980
I'd prefer xubuntu. Either way, try the latest one
>>
>>51606631
You actually need professional help anon. You present as paranoid schizophrenic at minimum.

I'm being 100% serious.
>>
having some problems

>installing Debian on a partition of my MacBook (inb4 eating shit)
>installation completes, no errors
>reboot, Debian won't boot, hangs on underscore
>give up for the time being
>go to erase partition, "Couldn't Read Partition Map"
>install Debian again, still hangs, still can't delete partition

any ideas on how to fix this?
>>
>>51624088
Are you sure you are installing the bootloader properly? I am not familiar with debian but did you generate fstab?
>>
>>51624018
I know they're DEs, I meant pros and cons like looks, resource intensiveness, etc.
>>
>>51624167
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_mint17_desktops&num=1
>>
>>51624134
I'm pretty sure I was setting up fine. As far as I know fstab is automatically generated in Debian and you only really have to make that in Arch. I also tried booting Ubuntu on the same partition with same problem
>>
>>51624188
oh, cool. thanks!
>>
I am really liking fedora plasma KDE. The way everything is organized and looks in the DE is nice but there is one small problem.

That font rendering is fucking yuck. How do I fix it? I keep seeing gnome-tweak-tools but I am on kde... also I tried editing .fonts.conf but there was nothing there.. wat do?
>>
File: lain-is-a-bear.jpg (48 KB, 1008x720) Image search: [Google]
lain-is-a-bear.jpg
48 KB, 1008x720
>try to install arch
>think you got it right htis time
>boot
>vmlinuz-linux or something or other isn't found
>failed to boot

ok im trying to figure out what went wrong.

I'm installing to my SSD, which is partitioned as thus:
SDA1 450mb Windows recovery
SDA2 100mb EFI partition, I mounted as /boot
SDA3 16mb Unknown Microsoft reserved space
SDA4 180gb Windows install
SDA5 52gb Arch install, mounted as root

How do I fix this? Do I need to run the full installer again or can I just chroot from the liveinstall media and fix it?

What am I doing wrong.

Partition for my SSD
SDA1- windows recovery shenanigans
SDA2- EFI partition
SDA3
>>
>permission denied to write to my sansaclip
fuuuck
>>
Ok I can write stuff to my audio player, but the audio player won't fucking play it. Any ideas? I know it's the correct format because I used a file already on it.
>>
File: 1448949359246.png (73 KB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
1448949359246.png
73 KB, 1360x768
Why is Anki so fucking blinding? How do I set up a night theme on Anki so it has a dark background? I installed a plug in and it doesn't work.
>>
>>51626024
Help please?
>>
>>51624881
I believe there is a font option in KDE to add Anti-Aliasing to pretty it up.

>>51606342
Will it cause a lot of bloat to mix and match parts of desktop environments?

I was thinking of going KDE for my first Linux desktop for something nice and full featured. But I like things like Nautilus from Gnome as a browser. So I'm wondering if I install a lot of utilities from other DE and remove some that come standard in KDE if I'll end up with a lot of background bullshit libraries left over from mixing QT and GTK etc.

Thinking Linux Mint if that makes a difference. I liked LMDE, but thinking of just using the regular Mint. I liked Cinnamon, but KDE really looks pretty.
>>
>>51626458
>But I like things like Nautilus from Gnome as a browser.
How could anybody prefer Nautilus? It's a mystery to me.
Besides that, yes, you might end with a lot of packages. Though you probably will have GTK packages anyway since so much software is using it.
>>
>>51626458
>>51626494
You guys seem really educated when it comes to themes and things. Think you could help me with this?

>>51626024
>Why is Anki so fucking blinding? How do I set up a night theme on Anki so it has a dark background? I installed a plug in and it doesn't work.
>>
>>51626501
Okay, fuck off, now
>>
>>51626505
>friendly thread
>fuck off
:(
>>
>>51625221
anyone?
>>
>>51626494
Mostly because Nautilus didn't throw a fit using my CIFS shares, mount command to directly do it doesn't play well on Chromebooks apparently and Dolphin looked a tad fugly on LXDE. Open to other suggestions though. Just didn't want to have to go make duplicate Unix Shares on the NAS.

>>51626501
Not terribly familiar with KDE, but see if this helps.

Go to Settings, Sytem Settings, Application Appearance, Fonts
Enable anti-ailising, configure to use sub-pixel rending and hinting slight, then apply.

Check in desktop affects under advanced and make sure scale is set to crisp, it probably is by default.
>>
File: didn't quite work.png (179 KB, 1331x589) Image search: [Google]
didn't quite work.png
179 KB, 1331x589
>>51626644
>Not terribly familiar with KDE, but see if this helps.
>
>Go to Settings, Sytem Settings, Application Appearance, Fonts
>Enable anti-ailising, configure to use sub-pixel rending and hinting slight, then apply.
>
>Check in desktop affects under advanced and make sure scale is set to crisp, it probably is by default.
I switched to KDE to try all that. Didn't work, but thanks for trying so hard, man! :)
>>
>>51625221
Just use Architect installer.
>>
File: 1411222246422.jpg (462 KB, 694x1175) Image search: [Google]
1411222246422.jpg
462 KB, 694x1175
I went balls deep and installed mint + cinnamon, now there seems to be network issues

I have a router which is working fine because I'm posting this from my mac

my PC is connected via wire and mint says it's connected and well

however, when I try to enter a website in firefox it keeps loading and then returns a Server not found message

what gives?
>>
>>51627018
DNS resolver issues? Try to ping the IP (not the domain) of it.
>>
>>51627060
I only have a local IP 192.168 etc and I tried pinging that with my laptop but got nothing
>>
Just reformatted most of everything, been on arch + windows 7 BIOS MBR for the last 6 months

Gonna go down the UEFI GPT route, is systemd boot the best way to go?

Plan was to do windows 10, then arch
>>
>>51627273
>systemd
>>
>>51627273
Yes. People that hate systemd are just FUD.
>>
>>51627327
coolio

>>51627280
I mean systemd isnt amazing in itself, but I don't think there's a better UEFI bootloader for windows dual booting. Suggestions would be nice
>>
>>51627018
>>51627060
>>51627223
I kind of think this might be an issue with the motherboard because not all of the USB ports are working either
>>
>>51606623
It's for people who haven't heard of architect installer
>>
>>51610473
It's pretty alright. You could also use cfdisk instead of parted, easier
>>
>>51616499
O P E N R C
P
E
N
R
C
>>
>>51616499
Systemd of course. OpenRC if you want lesser support.
>>
>>51616499
open rc
>>
Have the issues with Xubuntu's built-in compositor been dealt with? Or is grabbing compton still a necessity?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.