[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Questions for iPhone users
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: turndownforhwat.png (1 MB, 1890x1056) Image search: [Google]
turndownforhwat.png
1 MB, 1890x1056
Hey guys long time android user here starting to get a little bored of the OS and would like to try going the eating shit out my hands route. I have a couple questions/scenarios that I'd like answers to so I can determine if it can do everything or most of what I need. I am willing to jailbreak it. If you're bored I'd appreciate the answers.

>Scenarios (Can I do these on iPhone and how)
1. I have an HD .mkv file with subtitles. Can I play this and do I need a special player or will the built in one work
2. I want to download an mp3 off youtube and play it (Preferably with the mp3's being listed in the same player as the rest of my music)

>Questions
1.Is it worth it to pay an additional 300 dollars for the 6s over the 6 (Prices are fucked where I live)
2.Is there a decent 4chan app
3.How much does the battery degrade over time
4.If you came from android do you miss any features from it.

Thanks for the help guys!
>>
no clover here on ios. pretty lonely
>>
You can't do any of that shit on ios LOL
>>
>>51594683
I had an iPhone 6s+ for a month and half and switched back to Android with a Nexus 6P.

>2.Is there a decent 4chan app
Nope, not unless you jailbreak.

>3.How much does the batter degrade over time
Battery life is god tier for the 6S+.

>4.If you came from android do you miss any features from it.
-Google now/OK Google
-Using it as a USB device if I need to
-Being able to torrent if I feel I can't wait until later
-Phones are generally cheaper
-File explorers
-Multiple apps for various functions (PDF readers, texting apps, file explorers)
-The ability to change things up whenever you want. I haven't found the time to do it yet but knowing I can do so at any time is nice.
-Google Rewards leading to paid apps for basically free.

Those are just some of the few things that I missed and caused me to go back. I also use Keep, Drive, sheets, Gmail so I'm pretty rooted in Google's ecosystem.
>>
I have an iPhone.

Had an 5S and absolutely loved it. I had a 6S for a day, didn't like it and got a 6. I like it a lot.

>Is it worth it to pay an additional 300 dollars for the 6s.
IMHO, no. Force Touch is worthless. Live Photos is pointless. The only notable thing about the 6S that's actually worth while is a better camera, other than that, it's virtually identical, functionally, to an iPhone 6.
>Is there a decent 4chan app.
As >>51594740 said, no Clover.
>How much does the battery degrade over time.
I had my 5S for 2 years. There definitely was some degradation by the end, but I was still able to get a days worth of use out of mine on a full charge.
>If you came from android do you miss any features from it.
When I switched from my S3 to the 5S a few years ago, there wasn't anything I missed. Honestly, if everything else with iOS went to shit but they still kept TouchID and 1Password, I'd keep it for that alone. TouchID is really fucking good on these things.
>>
6s user here.

1. Dunno about built in player, but VLC plays .mkv's fine
2. Yes, tons of tweaks that do that. Need to be jailbroken tho

1. 300 dollars? Not a chance. 6s is better than 6, mostly cause more ram and alot better fingerprint scanner but it's not ''300 dollars better''
2. Yes, Called Fortune. Need to be jailbroken though.
3. Just like any other battery. Used my 4s for more than 2 years before changing the battery, and it was still kholding the charge pretty good to be honest.
4. The customization. But jailbreak + Springtomize 3 can take care of that.

tl;dr it just werkz, but werkz alot better when jailbroken
>>
>>51594683
>>Scenarios (Can I do these on iPhone and how)
>1. I have an HD .mkv file with subtitles. Can I play this and do I need a special player or will the built in one work

I think so, not sure about that one. You can download VLC though

>2. I want to download an mp3 off youtube and play it (Preferably with the mp3's being listed in the same player as the rest of my music)

Jailbreak for this, Apple hates pirates

>>Questions
>1.Is it worth it to pay an additional 300 dollars for the 6s over the 6 (Prices are fucked where I live)

I have the 6+ and its fine for me

>2.Is there a decent 4chan app

Jailbreak>Fortune

>3.How much does the battery degrade over time

Not very much

>4.If you came from android do you miss any features from it.

Its easier to customize, thats it really. Jailbreaking gives me all of that anyway
>>
You can't
>>
>>51594805
>-File explorers
>-Multiple apps for various functions (PDF readers, texting apps, file explorers)

These are the things I miss the most, the software and the store are better tho IMO
>>
>>51594683
Scenarios
1. You'll need a 3rd party video player app. I used nPlayer for my 1080p 10-bit chinese cartoons and it ran smoothly.
2. I just recently switched over myself, don't think you can do this unless you jailbreak (and if you want to JB, don't update iOS on your device if you get it as you can't downgrade)

Questions
1. No. Force Touch isn't widely implemented nor is it a widely useful feature (not +$300 useful anyways)
2. No.
3. I don't really imagine the degradation rates for batteries between iPhones and other smartphones to be significantly different. Now if you're asking about battery life, my 6s+ has been doing better than my Note 2 in it's day.
4. Here;s my list:
- Back button near the bottom of the screen/capacitive button (muh phablet, reachability feature is just an extra step)
- USB device feature (unless you jailbreak on iOS)
- No music apps that sorts music by Folder if you do that sort of thing (OSTs and remix albums turn your artist listing into shit)
- No equivalent to "Google Rewards"
- More specifically from the Samsung Note series: multi-window function. It made playing a youtube playlist and google maps simultaneously possible.

I stopped caring about launcher and icon customization, and I never used Tasker to it's full automated potential. Otherwise, I never really did much that could only be accomplished through the Android ecosystem, so I'm not missing much since the switch.
>>
>>51600852
>- No music apps that sorts music by Folder if you do that sort of thing (OSTs and remix albums turn your artist listing into shit)
This is really annoying.
>>
>>51594683
Scenario 1) VLC of course. There are numerous 3rd party players, but that's what I use for exactly that use case. Beware of Dolby audio codecs though, only a few players support it due to licensing (and they cost extra).

2) yes, but for having it show up in the main Apple Music player you gotta use iTunes. I keep my iTunes use just for backing up and loading music.

As for the 6 vs. 6s--I use a 128 GB 6 and plan to run it into the ground. The processor will keep it alive with updates for 4+ years, and I'm sure the 6s is even better but not $300 better.

4chan app? Never understood those even on android. I use iCab mobile, separate profile just for 4chan and shit. Saves files to its own sandbox (no feet pics or Bailey Jay mucking up my main camera roll) and is infinitely customizable.

Battery lasts pretty well over time, judging from past iPhones. And is fairly easily user replaceable, see ifixit.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.