[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 16
File: Qfo8JXC.jpg (175 KB, 1024x572) Image search: [Google]
Qfo8JXC.jpg
175 KB, 1024x572
Intended for users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are three ways to try Linux, you can:

1) Install a Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
2) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full Linux experience".
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux (not recommended)

If you are serious about switching to Linux and if you have Windows dual-booted (recommended for pure newbies),
we recommend you use it exclusively for 2 weeks, and avoid Windows dual booting for that period of time, or it's
likely you will start retreating back to windows instead of getting used to Linux as your new home and working on
making it feel the way you want it.

>Recommended for beginners:
-*buntus except vanilla Ubuntu (Unity)
-Debian (For Broadcom devices, use an ISO that includes non-free firmware)
-openSUSE
-LinuxMint (a.k.a Ubuntu LTS + Cinnamon)

Before asking, please find the answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe wine can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
your friendly neighborhood search engine
>>>/g/sqt
https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/learn-the-command-line
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/
>>
What is Linux (or GNU/Linux for Stallmanists)?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux

Babby's First Linux (What distro to choose?)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

What software does /g/ recommend? (Please DON'T include the so called infographic -- refer all your recommended software here.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software

Ricing on Linux (Make it good and functional or make it worse like those at desktop threads)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing

A script designed to ease the transition from Windows to Debian
https://github.com/Chocolate-Chip-Computing/DebianNewbieScript

We now have an entry in the install Gentoo wiki!
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php//flt/
>>
>>51533250
>>
How do I set 4:3 content to not stretch with fglrx? In windows you can do it from catalyst control center but the one for linux doesn't have that option
>>
Whats the best way of dealing with video games with i3?

Right now I just send them to a new workspace but the lack of alt-tabbing like a regular WM really ruins some shit. Also windowed games are a nightmare to get working if they don't already support freely changing the size of the window.
>>
>didn't see the new thread
Reposting from >>51533353

Should I really worry much about security using a Solaris 10/09 system to host a very basic, script/database-free website? Solaris 10 is still supported until 2021, however I think to get access to updates you need a support contract.

I'm also planning for ssh/ftp access, which I'll pretty much ban every non-US/Canadian IP (and maybe western Europe too) from connecting to.

I'm at a crossroads between Slowlaris, which I would prefer, or OpenBSD.
>>
Why linux has a lot of distro? Why they didn't focus on 1 or 2 distro only?
>>
>>51533513
Because multiple people made their own distros using GNU. Linux is just the kernel they all use.
>>
>>51533513
>they
people like different things
thats like asking why dont car manufacturers just focus on one or two models
>>
>>51533513
Because there is no "they", there's no real central entity that represents the platform.
>>
Let's say you have to call a bunch of system utilities repeatedly from your program in Linux.

How do you make sure that said utilities are loaded and waiting for a command to be processed?
>>
Does the battle.net client and all their it games works fine on wine/playonlinux?
>>
>>51533759
It's pretty fucky, I tried playonlinux battle.ent and out of the box it would just crash randomly and I couldn't get anything to work.

Probably some unfucking required but I was too lazy and just dualbooted windows for video games.
>>
>>51533528
>GNU
Fuck off, Stallmanist.
>>
>>51533801
is dis bait

cuz gnu is the frontend friend, linux is the kernel. Im not one to autist about it but it's very relevant to the question friend
>>
>>51532003
>>
Why is it that when I try to copy the configs files from someone in reddit my i3 explodes and says there are missing components?
>>
>>51533759
Only WoW straight from the exe will work, and good luck getting above 45 fps when you're forced into OpenGL. Seriously wine is overrated when it comes to vidya.
>>
what are some must have tools when using i3
i already installed i3 and dmenu
>>
File: 1436734515743.png (28 KB, 383x400) Image search: [Google]
1436734515743.png
28 KB, 383x400
Don't be a faggot. Install Arch.
>>
>>
>try linux ubuntu and arch
>post in linuxquestions forum asking for help with drivers for gpu
>get called an autistic social pleb fag
>ignore and still hoping for help
>weeks pass and still bo help
>post in thread bumping for help
>mod responds telling me not to bump
>ask him that i'm just after help but i can now see why the community is so small since everyone in it insults any new people and tries their best to deter them
>get banned
>see in my email I received an inbox from the forums
>mod tells me that im not the right "kind" for linux and that im some fat slob rapist
>tells me to go kill myself
>"Banned for harassment"
>>
>>51534445
That's pretty much the majority of the Linux community for you.
>>
>>51534445
>frequenting any and all small internet communities
You asked for it.
>>
>>51533208
>Independent Republic of Fedora
>Not a protectorate
ishygddt
>>
>>51534158
>reddit
>>
>>51534567
>implying 4chin and leddit aren't both as shit as each other.
>>
>>51534158
Because you don't have dependencies it requires. Look through their configs and find them.

>>51534567
>>51534574
>being this new
>>
>>51534625
>implying I'm new
>>
I posted this question somewhere on /g/ a few days ago, but I thought I'd check in here.
I have dualboot ubuntu on my laptop, but ubuntu is shit, and it's just an overall mess. What are my options on changing my distro while still keeping the win7 dualboot format?
>>
>Posted in the old thread

Installed Xubuntu a while back on my Lenovo laptop, so far everything's ok except the wireless networking.

Sometime the internet just refuse to work right after I start my laptop, despite the fact that it's already connected to a wifi. Browser will get stucked on "Looking up for ...webpage" for almost forever and other software couldn't connect the net as well. Strange thing is this only happen occasionally, sometime the internet works fine after I boot, but when this shit does happen I will have to reboot in order to make it work again. Meanwhile all my other devices and computer works fine.

I tried changing MTU in the options and editing the nsswitch.conf file but the problem still persists. Any ideas /g/?
>>
>>51534894
Delete your ext4 and swap partitions and then just install the new distro into the space you've got left.

Also, if you're installing Arch or something, install os-prober before you install grub.
>>
>>51534906
Check your DNS settings.
>>
>>51534967
No, at least not yet. Still thinking on what to try out.
I'll assume I wouldn't have to worry about that if it's a gui-based installation that allows for dual-boot.
>>
>>51535002
I'd suggest debian minimal. You should be fine just deleting clearing that second partition from the debian installer and installing it to it.
>>
>>
>>51534992
I tried the command nm-tool (got it from the net because Im still a linux noob) and here's what I got

NetworkManager Tool

State: connected (global)

- Device: wlan0 [wan t.k] -----------------------------------------------------
Type: 802.11 WiFi
Driver: wl
State: connected
Default: yes
HW Address: 08:ED:B9:9E:79:C5

Capabilities:
Speed: 72 Mb/s

Wireless Properties
WEP Encryption: yes
WPA Encryption: yes
WPA2 Encryption: yes

Wireless Access Points (* = current AP)
HAKEEM: Infra, BC:96:80:1C:92:F5, Freq 2412 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 69 WEP
*wan t.k: Infra, A8:9D:D2:02:98:04, Freq 2452 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 78 WPA2
AZLINA: Infra, FC:B0:C4:9B:15:2C, Freq 2427 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 37 WPA

IPv4 Settings:
Address: 192.168.1.4
Prefix: 24 (255.255.255.0)
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

DNS: 208.67.222.222
DNS: 208.67.220.220

- Device: eth0 -----------------------------------------------------------------
Type: Wired
Driver: alx
State: unavailable
Default: no
HW Address: 20:89:84:45:78:1A

Capabilities:
Carrier Detect: yes

Wired Properties
Carrier: off

Apparently it's connected to OpenDNS since it's configured as such in my router settings. Other than that, the IPV4 setting is set to auto in the networking options. Is there anything wrong with these things?
>>
>weeaboos
Arch
>retards
Ubuntu
>normies
Mint
>faggots
Debian
>redditors
Fedora
>patricians
Gentoo
>>
>>51534906
What wifi card?
>>
>>51535107
(You)
Windows.
>>
>>51535113
Broadcom 802.11n network adapter on my Lenovo G480, I guess this is what you're referring to?

I installed proprietary driver for it last time but it doesn't seems to solve the issue. It's quite infuriating because it only refuse to work occasionally, sometime it just works fine.
>>
>>51535107
>thinking you're top shit for using a distro where you compile everything

kek
>>
>>
I'm trying to make a Bootable USB. Ubuntu and kubuntu worked fine but when I try to do centOS or kali (just trying them out) they both say unknown keyword in configuration file. Looked on forums all said to remove 'ui' in the config but that didn't work for me. What do?
>>
>>51535026
So don't bother with wiping the space yourself, let the installer do it for you? I'll probably get on it, not tonight though, but after backing up data.
Thank you for the help
>>
>>51535107
>>redditors
>Fedora
huh
>>
>>51535094
Try to use the default DNS settings.
>>
>>51534294
Depends on the game. From my experience, if it's a 2D game, then usually Wine does the job. Otherwise, Wine is definitely overrated.
>>
>>
>>51535179
yeah

>>51535224
yeah

anything directx post 2009 you should just boot to windows
>>
>>51535191
The router setting? Years before I had Xubuntu installed on the same computer too but it's facing the same issue, at that time I used Google DNS but that doesn't affect it in anyway.

My ISP DNS censor a lot of stuff so it would be much better to use other DNS. But right now it seems that the issue's within Xubuntu itself since my PC (Win 7) and phone don't have any connection problem whatsoever.
>>
>>51535256
Does your Wireless Connection use a login system or no? That might be the problem.
>>
>>51535265
The wifi does require a password to login (WPA2), but what could be the issue here though? If needed, I will post a screenshot of the router setting page.
>>
>>51535290
Not *that* kind of login system. Hold a second.
>>
>>51534906
berhenti lah tu nak download cp
>>
>>51535316
p biasa je bro x de degenerate sgt smpai nk tgk cp
>>
>>51535348
>>51535316

fukin illegals
>>
>>51535107
>redditors
>not OS X
>>
>>51533759
battle.net client works fine with playonlinux (maybe you can experience a bug that can be fixed by configuring wine in playonlinux)
Then for the games, they works. I play hots everyday without any issue (the game crash when I close the game but this isn't a problem). I have to play it in minimal obviously. Diablo 3 run better. in general, but long time since I didn't played it on linux.
arch, FX-8350 and R9 280X OC. With an nvidia GPU you'll probably have better performances.

Now is playonlinux/wine overatted ? yes. I just want blizzard to port their games on linux. They got devs that actually play on linux Diablo 3 (maybe other games, but D3 was confirmed).
>>
>>51535426
>implying redditors ever used OSX
>>
File: LinuxCommunity.gif (444 KB, 152x98) Image search: [Google]
LinuxCommunity.gif
444 KB, 152x98
>>51534445
>>try linux ubuntu and arch
>>post in linuxquestions forum asking for help with drivers for gpu
>>get called an autistic social pleb fag
holy shit it's hilarious
>>
>>51534445

>I'm a baby and i can't read documentation in the arch wiki
>>
>>51534445
Now tell the truth about what really happened.
>>
>>51534445
linuxquestions is primarily the support platform for slackware. Try asking on the arch forum about an ubuntu question and see how they react.
You were banned because you're a fucking moron.
>>
Can somebody enlighten me on what are file descriptors?
I was reading about I/O redirection and author just introduces the word 'file descriptor' without giving any explanation about it.
Can somebody exlain it to me in simple words?

Also,
>While we have referred to first three of these file streams as standard input, output and error, the shell references them as file descriptors 0, 1 and 2 respectively.
What is file stream?
>>
Is there a resource for learning how to use SystemD that's not their dry as fuck man/wiki pages?
>>
Which distro ships best optimized and most stable latest KDE?
I tried Fedora for one day and its fucking with my graphics (e.g. very often windows are totally black unless I minimize/maximize or open/close them several times and many other weird graphics bugs...).
>>
>>51538475
I'm sure there's tons of shitty youtube videos that take 20mins to explain two features, if that's more your style.
>>
>>51538502
Your problem doesn't sound like anything to do with KDE.
>>
>>51538536
Yeah I know , it has with the distro that is unstable and bugged like Fedora.
>>
>>51538523
I just need something that explains whats changed, like using journalctl and how to manipulate services.
>>
>>51538628
Try the arch wiki, I found it very informative.
But then again, I'm only just using the systemctl enable/start service and systemd-analyze commands.
>>
File: dmenu.png (301 KB, 1600x811) Image search: [Google]
dmenu.png
301 KB, 1600x811
Hey guys, I'm an old time fan for Crunchbang, it was my first Linux distribution and it was fun to use. Scene there's now two distributions hoping to fill the shoes of Crunchbang, what are the difference between them?
>>
>>51538683
One of them is the officially endorsed continuation, the other is a rebel cause.
>>
File: 1444816545725.jpg (15 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
1444816545725.jpg
15 KB, 540x540
Is there anyone that uses laptop with nvidia optimus graphics? What is the best distro/DE that handles the best this technology?
>>
>>51538683
One is stil in development.
>>
>>51538736
Arch.
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA_Optimus
>>
>>51538736
>>51538753
Use bumblebee instead.
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bumblebee
>>
>>51538753
I'm kind a afraid of Arch.
>>51538776
Bumblebee works well with any major distro?
>>
>>51538730
Actually both Bunsen and Crunchbang++ have an official release
>>
>>51538808
Yes.
>>
>>51538820
But CB++ is NOT an officially recognized continuation of CB.

http://crunchbang.org redirects to Bunsen, not CB++
>>
>>51538833
One more thing srry , that archwiki's guide for Bumblebee can be applied to other distros or only Arch ?
>>
>>51535145
post output of
lspci -nn | grep Network
>>
>>51538371
Please, anyone?
>>
>>51538876
The only thing that specfic to Arch is the installation, in which you have to find the equivalent of the packages AND the package manager for your distro, aside from that all of it should be the same, assuming you're systemd.
>>
>>51538546
no, it doesn't.
>>
>>51538846
I know, I'm just saying they're both out of beta and ready for use.
>>
>>51538876
>>51538915
Oh, and what distro do you use?
>>
>>51538930
Currently on Xubuntu.
>>
>>51538808
You don't need to use arch, ignore the fanboys.
>>
>>51538909
In 45mins since posting you didn't think of trying google?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_descriptor
>>
>>51538923
so its my computer then? i have nvidia optimus like other anon... :/
>>
>>51538953
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bumblebee
>>
>>51539024
Is there an option so that Bumblebee can run automatically on some applications or do I need every time to manually optirun it?
>>
>>51538991
>must be KDE
>no? must be my shitty distro
>no? must be my computer
Anon, is this really the extent of your power of deduction and reason?
>>
>>51539044
You can alias it on your bash (or if you Steam, set launch options to optirun %command%)
>>
>>51538971
Wikipedia article is too technical to understand.
Do you think I would post here if I was that smart?
>>
>>51539055
it's just that other people told me they too sometimes get black windows on Fedora
>>
>>51539063
Search for another explanation then, it's really not that hard to find like a million web pages giving a millions descriptions of it.
>Do you think I would post here if I was that smart?
I think you're lazy.
>>
>>51538953
Same
>>
Anyone got a better way to launch gui apps from the terminal?

My laptop boots with default just the one terminal open, if I want to browse I usually
<browser name> &

to launch in the background, if I want to edit a file with a graphical editor and require root I will
gksudo <editor name> <file name>

I guess I could just hit the search button or bind a key to a launchy type program, but does that have advantages over this method?
>>
>>51534445
This is my main reason for using Linux.Behavior like this keeps things interesting. I'd get extremely bored looking at nothing but dry explanations for everything.
>>
>>51539114
>I think you're lazy.
I would just install Windows and never bother to learn the command line if I was lazy.
>>
>>51539063

you gotta want that shit anon. google search every word in the fucking wiki till you can understand :~)
>>
>>51539192
You're capable of finding a definition you can understand then.
>>
>>51539188
>Shilling this hard.
I mean, we all love Linux, but man seriously?
>>
>>51539063
>Wikipedia article is too technical to understand.
It seems pretty straightforward to me. There's even a handy flowchart.
>>
Guys, I´m using Elementary OS. I installed Word, Excel and PowerPoint through Wine, and they are working really well. Is there a way to get their icons to appear in the dock when they´re open, instead of Wine´s?
>>
>>51538683
Question, if I were to use Bunsenlabs would methods that work for Debian also work for this?
>>
>>51539234
Use LibreOffice. You get all the features of MS Office plus Freedom.

What's the point of using Linux if you are gonna install MS botnet anyway?
>>
>>51539258

yes
>>
>>51539258
It's Debian based, so I say why not?
>>
>>51539280
>>51539286
OK, just making sure.
>>
>>51539210
Exactly the kind of comments I expect and love.You Aspies are what make Linux great!
>>
>>51539286
>>51539270

pretty sure it's just jessie with openbox. some repos added in too but i havent booted my bunsen vm in awhile
>>
>>51538371
0 = standard input(stdin) = </<<
1 = standard output(stdout) = >/>>
2 = standard error output(stderr) = 2>/2>>

Try this and feel the difference:
echo "now you see me" 1>&2
echo "now you don't" 2> /dev/null 1>&2
>>
>>51539123
try a launcher?
>>
>>51539311
Wow, thanks anon. Really cleared things up.
>>
File: 1421672586412-2.gif (132 KB, 600x340) Image search: [Google]
1421672586412-2.gif
132 KB, 600x340
>>51539270
B-but using Office is so comfy anon.
>>
>>51539459
>literally what's on the wiki page
>>
How can I improve battery life on Linux?
>>
In some quarters, it's politically correct to call the Linux operating system the “GNU/Linux operating system.” The problem with “Linux” is that there is no completely correct way to name it because it was written by many different people in a vast, distributed development effort. Technically speaking, Linux is the name of the operating system's kernel, nothing more. The kernel is very important of course, since it makes the operating system go, but it's not enough to form a complete operating system.

Enter Richard Stallman, the genius-philosopher who founded the Free Software movement, started the Free Software Foundation, formed the GNU Project, wrote the first version of the GNU C Compiler (gcc), created the GNU General Public License (the GPL), etc., etc., etc. He insists that you call it “GNU/Linux” to properly reflect the contributions of the GNU Project. While the GNU Project predates the Linux kernel, and the project's contributions are extremely deserving of recognition, placing them in the name is unfair to everyone else who made significant contributions.

Besides, I think “Linux/GNU” would be more technically accurate since the kernel boots first and everything else runs on top of it. In popular usage, “Linux” refers to the kernel and all the other free and open source software found in the typical Linux distribution; that is, the entire Linux ecosystem, not just the GNU components.

The operating system marketplace seems to prefer one-word names such as DOS, Windows, Solaris, Irix, AIX. I have chosen to use the popular format.
>>
>>51539565
>tfw you tricked me into checking the wiki
No it's not in the wiki.
>>
>>51539602
TLP and cross your fingers.
>>
I'm a windows user and I when I jumped into linux (Debian) it was pretty easy to install. But when it came to installing such things like steam and nvidia drivers everything was quite daunting and I couldn't really follow any video guides to help me. I want to get back to linux but I feel like I should've prepared myself a bit better.

Is there a guide to basic tasks on linux, things like adding no repos, installing, killing, uninstall, updating programs, and etc?
>>
>>51539561
>Posting anime on technology board.
JUST
>>
File: linus_corrects_rms_8560.jpg (303 KB, 806x938) Image search: [Google]
linus_corrects_rms_8560.jpg
303 KB, 806x938
>>51539611
Not this crap again.
Sigh.
Please refer to pic related.
>>
>>51539611
Nice copy pasta.

BTW, I am currently reading the same book.
>>
>>51539673
>Linus sperging out to an RMS impostor
Never gets old.
>>
>>51539660
The Arch Wiki is a good place.
>>
>>51539611
>RMS
>genius-philosopher
>a.k.a pedophile
>>
>>51539692
>implying it's the real Linus
>>
>>51539692
RMS pls. You can't prove anything on an anonymous image board.
>>
>>51539751
How can you make a relation between a philosopher and a pedophile?
>>
>>51539766
>implying it's not
He deleted that comment when he realised that he was taken on a ruse cruise.
>>
>>51539660

debian reference for dpkg/apt
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference
arch wiki for pacman

access.redhat for whatever they use. rpm, yum or some shit idk
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/System_Administrators_Guide/index.html

and all of those sites are excellent for getting the basics. openSUSE has a decent looking community and is well documented p sure.
>>
>>51539826
>implying Linus ever used that profile picture
Jesus Christ why are you this stupid?
>>
>>51539836
>https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference
Thanks Anon.
>>
>>51539969

not a problem. good luck on your install
>>
Hey guys, I've been trying to figure out how to use rtorrent, but the speeds are super slow, when transmission didn't have any issue. Any ideas how to fix?
>>
Can I get some networking help? I'm renting a server from linode. I used ubuntu 14.04, and followed these 2 guides to set it up
https://www.linode.com/docs/getting-started
https://www.linode.com/docs/security/securing-your-server
I installed apache and that works fine. I installed ruby and rails and started the server on port 3000, but I can't access it. I've added rules to iptables but it still doesn't work.
Anyone know what's wrong? Anything else I need to configure and where can I look to debug this?
>>
>>51540117
Oh I forgot to mention, it keeps saying it can't resolve host name as well. Tried googling, but nothing seems to work
>>
>>51534445
RTFM
fucking autist
>>
Odd Linux only issue?

Visiting Senpai, I connected my phone to her WiFi.

I connect my other Senpaitachi devices.

My own Laptop with Mint on it won't connect, it sees the network but appears to fail in authentication. Same WiFi key as used earlier.

Any suggestions?
>>
>>51540781
bravo ひろゆき
>>
File: dark_room.jpg (246 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
dark_room.jpg
246 KB, 1920x1080
HI all, just got a fresh install of openSUSE Tumbleweed w/ GNOME.

I used to use xfce with thunar. but now I'm liking how the GNOME files manager looks. Is there a way to open up the directory in files from terminal? I used to be able to just use "thunar" and it would open thunar to the directory the terminal was in. When I try "nautilus" it just opens to my home dir.
>>
>>51540781
WHAT THE FUCK IS SENPAITACHI?
>>
>>51540781
read the system logs. if you get an error and don't understand it/google doesn't return anything useful, post it here
>>
>>51540824
Word filtre for F.A.M.S.
>>51540852
It throws a time-out on Authentication issue then everything fails.
>>
I want to keep using kde4 as my desktop OS, but receive updates (if any) to kde and regular updates to the rest of the system.

What distro should I go with for this?
Jessie still has kde4 but is that my only option these days?
>>
What are the main differences between theses Firefox forks : Pale Moon, Waterfox, Icecat and Iceweasel?
>>
>>51541009
the logo and levels of autism
>>
>>51540819
nautilus .
?
>>
>>51541009
>Pale Moon
Firefox before Autism
>Waterfox
64bit only Firefox
>IceCat
GNU shit, don't use it.
>Iceweasel
Debian shit, use it if you Debian.
>>
Okay, so today i received chromebook (Toshiba CB30) and i am trying to install pure linux on it. Trying to do everything like it written in instructions, however, i cannot access SeaBios (it beeps two times at me). Also had no success in enabling write mode in crosh shell to excecute set_gbb_flags.sh, internets have no help or i am bad in searching. So anyone had this problem? Also it is possible to fully format it?
>>
>>51541021
Awesome thanks. I didn't even think of that. Not super versed in terminal work.
>>
Is there actually a significant difference between Nvidia and AMD cards/drivers when playing games through Wine?
I have a spare Nvidia car lying around but it's much weaker than the AMD I'm using now, so any tests would be pretty skewed.
>>
>>51541066
Do I need to compile waterfox to make it works under GNU/Linux? I can't find any binairies.
>>
>>51541216
Just use Firefox, Waterfox is a "stable 64bit" version for Windows as Windows' Firefox doesn't have a stable 64bit version.
>>
I installed Linux Mint on my HDD. I want to dual boot windows for some games that don't work well in wine. What's the best way for me to dual boot? I'd like for it to ask:

"Which OS do youwant to boot?

1.) Linux Mint
2.) WIndows 7
"

Or something along those lines.
>>
>>51533208
I recently install Ubuntu coming from Linux Mint and am having an issue with multi-monitors.

Is there a way to delete one of the panels? Playing some games in windowed-fullscreen mode can get annoying with the panel at top. Mint had an option to just get rid of one.
>>
>>51541245
GRUB should do it automatically for you. You UEFI/BIOS?

>>51541247
What DE?
>>
Thoughts on Fedora as a starter OS?
>>
>>51533349
are you talking about setting your resolution to 4:3 and it scales shit?
or your watching a video (say in mpv) and its 4:3 but its stretching
>>
>>51541245
grub.
The easiest method is to install windows, install mint in another partition and it will come automatically.

The default setup will give you a couple of safe options (boot last working kernel or something).
If you want to just have two options, there is an easy to read config file you can edit.
If you prefer to use a gui, there is a couple available.

If you don't want to start over, just install grub on the boot partition.
>>
>>51541305
RPM is shit.
>>
>>51534625
up boated
>>
>>51541245
Ideally, you want to install Windows first then install Linux Mint.
That way your Linux install detects the Windows install and adds an entry in the GRUB for you to select between Windows or Linux.
>>
>>51541280
Unity
>>
>>51533208
are there any distros that can use my switchable graphics on my macbook pro?
im pretty sure anything that isn't uefi can't use it so what distros play nicely on a macbook that support uefi
>>
>>51541487
Try to install unity-tweak-tool and configure it.

>>51541499
What kind of MacBook?
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MacBook
>>
>>51541245
Google EasyBCD. It let you keep the Windows bootloader in the MBR so in case you fuck up your Linux install you'll still be able to boot normally.
>>
>>51541533
Thanks, but I don't see an option to remove panels in the tool.
I'll keep looking around for a way.
>>
>>51541629
...or switch DEs. Unity's a shit.
>>
Samefag as before this WiFi issue is driving me crazy.

Every time it procs a time-out issue.
>>
>>51540131
Bump for this.
I feel like I'm missing something. Here's my netstat and iptables.
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:22 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 3104/sshd
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:3000 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 8370/ruby
tcp6 0 0 :::80 :::* LISTEN 8124/apache2
tcp6 0 0 :::22 :::* LISTEN 3104/sshd
tcp6 0 0 ::1:3000 :::* LISTEN 8370/ruby

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
pkts bytes target prot opt in out source destination
0 0 ACCEPT all -- lo * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0
0 0 REJECT all -- !lo * 127.0.0.0/8 0.0.0.0/0 reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
10 376 ACCEPT icmp -- * * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 state NEW icmptype 8
631 37196 ACCEPT tcp -- * * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 tcp dpt:22 state NEW
54 2472 ACCEPT tcp -- * * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 tcp dpt:80 state NEW
18 792 ACCEPT tcp -- * * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 tcp dpt:443 state NEW
0 0 ACCEPT tcp -- * * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 tcp dpt:3000 state NEW
19533 11M ACCEPT all -- * * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
974 73507 LOG all -- * * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 limit: avg 5/min burst 5 LOG flags 0 level 7 prefix "iptables_INPUT_denied: "
1000 82758 REJECT all -- * * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
>>
>>51541766
restart your router
>>
>>51541814
Been There Done That.
>>
What's the deal with Mir and Wayland?

I was reading some anon's comments but they didn't add up, he said that no one will support Mir because Ubumtoes but I read elsewhere that Nvidia plan to support both. Intel seems like it won't support Mir though, which I guess is pretty bad.

Why did Shitheadworth even have to create a new X11 alternative anyways?
>>
>>51541858
Canonical have never really cared about Linux as much as their own brand.
>>
File: 130568.jpg.png (46 KB, 178x154) Image search: [Google]
130568.jpg.png
46 KB, 178x154
>>51533208
>Friendly Linux Thread

>download debian live image
>usb-it
>boot
>ask for user/pass
>try debian/debian nope
>try admin/admin nope
>try user/user nope
>try user/pass nope
>try busty/tits nope
>try nigger/nigger nope
>fuck_this_bitch_shit.avi
>go back to windoze7
>>
>>51541245
If you're UEFI, just make sure your partition table is GPT and any Windows 8+ 64 bit will work after you install it with no fiddling required.
>>
>>51541858
I think no one really understands their point, because it doesn't even make sense. Mir was/is(?) a copy of Wayland/Weston, it's supposed to be relatively compatible with it...
I have no idea about this, but all of this drama sounds like a group of devs at canonical misunderstood something, forked the work of the Wayland devs, understood their mistake but just kept doing it out of shame.
also, judging by the shit I've seen, looks like canonical employees are a bunch of useless fucks that just want to profit from it.
>>
I have this regex
>$regex(text,"^(THE)\s(.+)$",$2)
I want to use this so that if THE exists then it will be replaced with "$2, The" (instead of "The $2) but I can't seem to find a way to introduce a comma after the $2.
>>
>>51542072
Ah think I've got it, enclose the second part in " "
>>
>>51541858
>I think what canoncycle is doing with mir is just one step in their goal to become a closed ecosystem like apple. as for intel not supporting it, well there's always arm, or they can get superchips from ibm
>>
Hi, guys, I have intend to start using linux, but I have this weird wish.
I want to use it mostly using the cmd line, but I would like to be able to use gui based apps at times, and other programs.
Can this type of contract be satisfied?
If so, what should I read to go about learning and achieving this?

Asking about literature, because most books I have com across seem to focus on using Linux for it's server capabilities, yet I want to use it as a home user, who doesn't need every single functionality of a desktop os, or a windows os etc.
>>
>>51542506
http://wiki.archlinux.org
>>
>>51542506
yeah, just install a light wm and use look into ncurses for your no gui stuff and just when you want to use a gui program you can launch it from whaterve terminal you're in. oh and if you're gonna do lot's of stuff from the terminal you'll want to get tmux or something simmilar
>>
>>51542506
Literally any distro with the right cli tools installed. Read man pages to learn how to use the tools you want to use.
>>
>>51542506
that's pretty much what i do
>cli email client
>cli file manager
>cli irc client
>cli audio player
>cli rss feed reader
>cli todolist
>cli text editor
>cli password manager
etc.
the only thing i need a gui for are things like web browsers, image editors, office suite programs, and miscellaneous other things that happen to only have a gui available
>>
>>51541310
>are you talking about setting your resolution to 4:3 and it scales shit?
For games, yeah
>>
>>51542616
>>51542569
>>51542551
>>51542550
thanks for the quick responses
i have a direction now
>>
>>51542506
>>51542734
emacs can do a lot of stuff
tiling wms like i3,awesome,ratpoison speed up workflow when using cli stuff
also programs you should look at:
irssi,vim,tmux,mutt,ncmpcpp+mpd,htop,newsbeuter,ranger,feh,lynx
>>
How do you select which drive to install to when emerging?
>>
Installed xubuntu. Wireless won't work. Detects my network, I type the password, and it attempts to connect before eventually just stopping, no error message, no "couldn't connect", just nothing, it just stops. Nothing works. Why does nothing ever work.
>>
>>51542799
well my plan is
1.learn to use linux command line (to install things, navigate etc.)
2.learn to use said things, for ex. tools you mention there
looks doable
>>
>>51542874
Does your network have a supported security type? I don't know about xubuntu but for Gentoo I had to download a separate package to use my WPA network.
>>
>>51542838
Clarify what you are trying to do, you're not making much sense what what you wrote.
>>
>>51542921
I'm trying to install something (using emerge) to a different hard drive, so I don't take up my SSD space with it
>>
>>51542939
As far as I know you would need to edit the ebuild. But you want it to install stuff in to a /usr/bin on a different drive? You could try symlinking I suppose.
>>
>>51542916
Yeah, it's there. It doesn't seem to have an issue with that. It just stops trying to connect. I've been here for like two hours googling. Nothing.
>>
sigh. i really wanted to try out Linux but if this is how it's going to be, well, fuck it. I'm about done with computers in general anyway, nothing ever, ever, ever works the way it's supposed to.
>>
>>51543197
what the fuck is the point of coming here to whine instead of just asking the fucking question you want to know

fucking faggot seriously
>>
>>51543197
>>
>>51543252
nobody's replied so
>>
File: no.gif (423 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
no.gif
423 KB, 600x338
>>51543264
>>
>>51542984
>>51542874

I would seriously appreciate some kind of help. It is incredibly frustrating. I want to use Linux. I need to connect to the fucking internet.
>>
I switched to i3 recently and it's great except my fucking screen shuts off every 10 min. How the fuck do I get it to not do that? I tried playing with xset dpms but none of it seems to do anything, I even put it in my config and made it always execute but still nothing.
>>
>>51543396
Try another distro. If none with, get a better WiFi card. There like $5.
>>
>>51543396
try manually connecting with
ifconfig <interface name> up
wpa_passphrase <ssid> <password> > /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
wpa_supplicant -B -i <interface name> -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
>>
>>51543197
practise with virtual machines
>>
Before I do research (pardon my ignorance) do you guys know of a macro recorder/player that records mouse movements/keystrokes and then plays them exactly?

Most windows macro applications don't record pixel perfect and at the same intervals, which is what I need. I have one but want to switch windows servers to ubuntu.
>>
>>51543264
what fucking questioin you triple faggot
>>
Do I need to use q4wine, winetricks or wine-doors if I'm using playonlinux or does it do all those things for me?
>>
A game is looking for libjack.so, but gentoo doesn't have a libjack package. What should I do?
>>
>>51544587
Install media-sound/jack-audio-connection-kit
>>
How do I get playonlinux to just use a previous windows installation of a game rather than reinstall it from scratch? Also how do I change the install directory?
>>
Why do people here call arch a meme?
>>
>>51545619
Because it is?
>>
>>51544793
Not sure that would be possible
>>
>>51544793
I guess you'd have to export the relevant keys from the registry in windows, and import them in POL. also, put the files in the same paths, etc.. as >>51545753 says, I doubt it's possible, but... just try it
>>
Thoughts on getting a Linux+ cert?
How can I git gud for free?
>>
>>51543643
Different fag, trying this for another issue but similar.

When I enter passphrase it says it has to be between 8 and 64 characters. My passphrase is 10 char. Is there something I need to insert to delimit the SSID and Passphrase?
>>
>>51545872
If your SSID or your password contain whitespaces and the like, you better put them between 'single' quotes.
>>
You guys should recommend Manjaro in the OP so that people can experience an arch derivative.
>>
>>51545967
haha yeah no
>>
I used tune2fs to change the reserved block % but it's still taking up as much as it was before (according to gparted at least)
>>
>>51545967
Antergos maybe, manjaro is shit.
>>
>>51545619
Don't you know? Popular things are memes now.
>>
>>51546029
What command did you use, exactly?
>>
>>51546073
sudo tune2fs -m 2 /dev/sda1
>>
>>51546059
>Popular things are memes now.
If you don't understand why arch is a meme, you shouldn't be here
>>>/out/
>>
>>51546088
What does df say?
>>
>>51546094
>x is a meme
Honestly it's completely meaningless now. If you have some compelling explanation, please do go ahead and enlighten us.
>>
>>51546109
/dev/sda1 1442010172 71160 1412619988 1% /storage

But that's way less than it should be if it's counting system reserved, seeing as it's showing 22GB on gparted (and if that was 5% 2% would be ~8GB)
>>
>>51545926
>>51543643
Okay so I got to that but iwconfig is now non-compliant.
>>
>>51546211
can you post that as df -h, sorry I forgot I had that aliased, can't be bothered to convert.
>>
>>51546277
/dev/sda1 1.4T 70M 1.4T 1% /storage
>>
>>51546299
When you say it is less than it should be, what are you talking about, the size or the available size?
>>
I have a USB sound card with a built in mic. None of the options in pavucontrol are getting the mic to work. Are there any packages that could help?
>>
File: tag.png (261 B, 40x20) Image search: [Google]
tag.png
261 B, 40x20
How do I change the colors on the tag indicator in i3? Pic related
>>
>>51546616
read the documentation
>>
>>51546627
Found nothing on changing the color in there
>>
File: ss-26-11-2015-195012.png (389 KB, 523x253) Image search: [Google]
ss-26-11-2015-195012.png
389 KB, 523x253
>>51546748
you didnt look hard enough you goof
>>
>>51546748
# Start i3bar to display a workspace bar (plus the system information i3status
# finds out, if available)
bar {
status_command i3status -c /home/lazyfuckinganon/.i3/i3status.conf
position top
mode dock
workspace_buttons yes
colors {
background #000000
statusline #aaaaaa

urgent_workspace #ffffff #ff0000
# focused_workspace #ffffff #535D6C

#focused_workspace #ffffff #9932CC
#active_workspace #ffffff #DA70D6
#inactive_workspace #888888 #242424
#urgent_workspace #ffffff #32CD32
}
}
>>
>>51546771
I'm trying to do it with i3status not i3blocks
>>
>>51546800
are you intentionally being dumb or can you not read a config file?
>>
>>51546796
many thanks familia
>>
>>51546819
fuck off
>>
>>51546346
the size used

Gparted still says it's 22 GB
>>
>>51547237
Well that's not what df is reporting.
>>
>>51547255
Does df show system reserved space?
>>
How do you make i3bar conform to your gtk theme?
>>
>>51547367
i3bar doesnt take anything from GTK theme, you have to customize it yourself

use lxappearance if you want to change GTK theme though
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.