[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24
File: 8JDsUC3.jpg (59 KB, 960x897) Image search: [Google]
8JDsUC3.jpg
59 KB, 960x897
Intended for users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are three ways to try Linux, you can:

1) Install a Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
2) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full Linux experience".
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux (not recommended)

If you are serious about switching to Linux and if you have Windows dual-booted (recommended for pure newbies),
we recommend you use it exclusively for 2 weeks, and avoid Windows dual booting for that period of time, or it's
likely you will start retreating back to windows instead of getting used to Linux as your new home and working on
making it feel the way you want it.

>Recommended for beginners:
-*buntus except vanilla Ubuntu (Unity)
-Debian (For Broadcom devices, use an ISO that includes non-free firmware)
-openSUSE
-LinuxMint (a.k.a Ubuntu LTS + Cinnamon)

Before asking, please find the answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe wine can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
your friendly neighborhood search engine
>>>/g/sqt
https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/learn-the-command-line
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/
>>
What is Linux (or GNU/Linux for Stallmanists)?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux

Babby's First Linux (What distro to choose?)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

What software does /g/ recommend? (Please DON'T include the so called infographic -- refer all your recommended software here.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software

Ricing on Linux (Make it good and functional or make it worse like those at desktop threads)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing

A script designed to ease the transition from Windows to Debian
https://github.com/Chocolate-Chip-Computing/DebianNewbieScript

We now have an entry in the install Gentoo wiki!
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php//flt/
>>
For some reason gtkmm 2.24.4 keeps giving me emake failed messages. Installing newer versions works fine, but what I'm trying to install requires that specific version. Any idea what I can do to fix?
>>
Font rendering is shit on Debian. It was fine on Windows.
Wat do?
>>
>>51517726

Install infinality.
>>
what DE should i get for debian
>>
>>51517818
Get BunsenLabs.
>>
>>51517818

i3 is nice for productivity and tinkering

Openbox is nice if you're in to tinkering but not ready for i3.

Just use gnome if you're not ready for either of those.
>>
>>51517866

Why get some guranateed-to-be-abandonded tier shit that is just based on Debian?
>>
>>51517818
If you NEED a DE, xfce4

If you can do without, go with i3, openbox, or some other tiling wm and just get whatever programs you need on a case by case basis.
>>
>>51517950
sorry, didn't know the diff between de & wm, just meant wm
>>
>>51517995
Then pretty much any tiling wm will do. Find one you think looks easy to configure and look up some guides.
>>
>>51517596
anyone?
>>
Is there a way to customize the wake from sleep logon prompt in XFCE?

xscreensaver looks like shit so I disabled it
>>
Just installed mint and my password didn't work. My password was a simple 5 letter word. After that when I check under password reset it's a 6 letter one. What can I do. Yes I'm new to linux
>>
>>51519349
Well, you could reinstall, that would be relativley simple.

Otherwise, you can chroot into the installed sysytem (mount all the filesystems and partitions, and change the root into the mounted system).
>>
>>51519349
login as root, change the password.
You did make the root password different, right?
>>
What is the general consensus on Slax?
>>
>>51517163
>GNU/Linux for Stallmanists
Why is GNU/Linux ridiculed? It is just the only right name for it. What? Because Stallman is crazy hobo looking person he is wrong about everything? He is not.
>>
File: 1444509162464.jpg (330 KB, 806x938) Image search: [Google]
1444509162464.jpg
330 KB, 806x938
>>51519795
>>
>>51517869
>DE
Omg how many fucking kids wannabe hackers are here on /g/ ? Fuck off inbreds.
>>
Please read my question here, xfce and mouse weird behaviour related inside
>>51519793
>>
>>51519805
>accept my authority
Stopped reading there. He doesnt have that kind of authority. Yeah he wrote the kernel , with the help of GCC. If it wasnt for GNU Linus would do nothing except to pray to god that someone as skilled as GNU project people write the compiler . Also GNU had everything except the kernel , and that is Linux. Not OS.Combined together they make OS. Is it really hard for people to acknowledge this , or just massive trolling?
>>
>>51519805
..and GNU/Stallman tried to force their ideology of free software bullshit. What a pathetic person.
>>
>>51519842
>GNU had everything except the kernel
>implying gnu made the init
>implying gnu made the GUI possible
>implying gnu ever made a package manager prior to guixsd

Fuck off back to Hurd.
>>
>>51519850
>implying rms used Google+
>>
>>51519963
>implying that's a real Torvalds
>>
>>51519866
>Implying Linus did.

It is a colaborative effort, anon. Linux did a lot, RMS did a lot, the folks at xfree86 did a lot and the people who helped all of the porting of software and the creation of new software and the testing and the debugging of programs and the donation of hardware and the BSD folks and the Minix people and . . . the list goes on.

Perhaps GNU Linux is a bad name for exaclty the same reason that Linux is. It needs to be something more all encomapssing.
>>
>>51520594
GNU/Linux is much worse than Linux. You include GNU = You include a bad ideology.
>>
File: sexy robot desktop.png (1 MB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
sexy robot desktop.png
1 MB, 1360x768
My bro's computer is such a piece of shit. LIke a real piece of shit.
As far as I know it only runs Windows XP, and it started getting viruses. Since all my bro does it is play retro games, and any retro emulator he could possibly need I can easily get for Linux, I thought I would install an Ubuntu partition. I got part of the way through the installation process, and then it just fuckin' stopped with no indication of continuing.

Bored, I just reset the machine and gave up, but now it fucking blue screens every time I turn it on. Since my bro is on vacation in California, I have until Friday before he gets back. What should I do? Since the ever reliable ever accesible Ubuntu won't even fucking work on his shitmeister (Let alone Windows 7) and I can't find the XP disc that was used for his machine, what can I do?

I don't think he'll care about using a different OS, as long as he can play his retro games, so is there a reliable Linux OS I can install?

I've already tried
>Ubuntu
>Linux Mint with Debian
>Kali Linux (Before you ask, I just had it lying around, and decided what the hell. Doesn't work)
>>
>>51520756
Install Gentoo immediately anyway.
>>
>>51520756
sounds more like an hardware problem brah. what blue screen error are you getting?
>>
File: behead3.jpg (9 KB, 269x187) Image search: [Google]
behead3.jpg
9 KB, 269x187
>>51520701
>bad ideology
>>
>>51520799
https://stallman.org/archives/2003-may-aug.html
See 28 June 2003

https://stallman.org/archives/2012-nov-feb.html#04_January_2013_(Pedophilia)
>>
If I abort the download of a package, does all the shit that's been downloaded and installed before get removed?
I was installing foxitreader from the Uni library, but it was taking too fucking long and I had to go, I'm pretty sure it installed some QT stuff before tho, how can I remove it? yaourt -Rs doesn't seem to work since I aborted it
>>
Why are you guys using Linux in 20154. are you dense
Unix sucks, convert to OS X El Capitano
>>
>>51520854
>rms = gnu
I guess Microsoft is pro overpopulation then, since Gates is running around ensuring that niggers can breed and survive.
>>
>>51520885
You have 5 minutes to list 10 reasons why.
>>
>>51520885
4 day old bait

Just search the archives for UNIX and Jack.
>>
>>51520877
pacman -Rscn $(pacman -Qqdt) ?

>>51520885
>UNIX sucks, convert to OS X El Capitano
>he doesn't realize that OS X is a "certified UNIX"
http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/brand3612.htm
>>
how to make suspend only suspend video, but not wifi or audio?
im using arch 'cause chromebook
>>
>>51520903
GNU is basically RMS's insanity containment. He's the overlord of GNU/FSF for, how many years already?
>>
>>51520911
>can't prove me wrong
>call it a bait
>>
>>51520930
2 minutes left for those 10 reasons
>>
>>51520929
>Microsoft is basically Bill Gates' insanity containment. He's the overlord of Microsoft for how many years already?

>>51520930
OS X is UNIX.

We already had this discussion, you're just namefagging as the retard from that old thread and repeating past mistakes.
>>
Guys,I need dicks quick
I can't survive without them
>>
>>51520947
Enjoy your systemd botnet while NSA watches you watching loli animu
>>
>>51520919
>>51520916
>>51520885
>>51520947
>>51520968

https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/S51458492#p51470383

https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/S51458492#p51470393
>>
>>51520977
>https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/S51458492#p51470393
Virus don' click
>>
>>51520929
The fact that he holds questionable, or even disgusting, ideas about a topic doesn't make for an argument against ideas he has about another, totally unrelated, topic.
>>
>>51520947
>OS X
3 letters
>UNIX
4 letter
>OS X = UNIX
do you even math bro?
>>
>>51520994
>not counting space as a word
>>
>>51520997
It may be a character but it's definitively not a word.
>>
>>51521000
I meant letter.
>>
>>51521007
Also not a letter.
>>
>>51520968
>implying systemd was a botnet

First off, systemd is not a botnet, it has no botnet, but rather it has an init system as part of the systemd suite. systemd is a project to build a standardised lowlevel userland for Linux. The project is pretty comprehensive and it delivers a lot of functionality under one umbrella. It does away with a lot of older, often undermaintained software packages, which were traditionally used to assemble a low level userland.

Which is where the contention comes from, as a system suite systemd is restrictive for Unix virtuosi who are used to tailor a system with wit, ingenuity, a lick and a prayer and a couple dozen of unrelated packages. systemd makes such knowledge useless.

The faction that thinks that systemd is Linux's Hiroshima, finds all the added functionality bloat, unnecessary and dangerous, as it is all under development in one project.

All the systemd jokes stem from the comprehensiveness as a low level system suite. People against it love to joke that one day systemd will write its own kernel.

There is a lot of FUD and hate going around. Some arguments do have merit, a lot of eggs in one basket is certainly true, but as with all things in life, it depends which tradeoff you prefer. Do you want a suite of well designed software, working closely together, so that system management is streamlined or do you want the complete freedom to tailor your own low level system with a lot of time tested, interchangeable components.

I have no desire to be a low level system designer, so I prefer systemd. I don't hate traditional init systems though. If a Linux system has one and I need to work with it, I'm still happy it boots and starts the necessary services.
>>
What is a good way to organize my files under my home dir? For example, the scripts I make for the panel, or things like that. What's a good way to keep them?
>>
>>51521047
Hello, reddit.
>>
>>51521047
Sorry man.I'm was so angry because my black boyfriend left me.you're right
>>
Recently I ran out of space on my linux partition, so I finally stopped dual booting and nuked my windows install, since I haven't used it in half a year now, and everything I need winshit for can be done in a vm. My data partition is full of desktop.ini files, it is safe to delete those now, right?
Also, can I set up full disk encryption on an existing linux install? I can make an image of the system and copy dd it on my hard drive after the encryption if needed, and I also have all my data backed up so it's not a problem if I have to erase it from my hdd.
>>
What's the usual way to go if you want an easy way to change a bunch of settings(gtk themes / resolution / font stuff) whilst rolling with a window manager like i3?

I'm currently just using i3 whilst firing up the cinnamon-settings-daemon and using cinnamon's setting tools to do these sort of things but I feel like this is a really wrong and dirty way to do this.
>>
>>51520756
What is the exact error you are getting?
Is the bootloader loading fine?
Did you format the XP partition?
>>
Is wayland ready yet?
>>
>>51521188
desktop.ini is useless in Linux.

Full disk encryption = Nuke the partition.

>>51521326
No
>>
>>51521326
You can test it in Fedora Gnome, but it won't be default unitil Fedora 24.
>>
>>51519806

Jeez, WTF are you talking about? You don't even provide answers or suggestions, just shit out of your mouth.
>>
>>51517153
Is it possible to split the bash shell (before starting wm) to 2 sections? I want to display some kind of animated ascii at the top of the screen during drive selection and password input

Ty
>>
>>51521783
tmux, but you can't startx.
>>
>>51521818
what do you mean by "can't startx"?
>>
>>51519806
Enjoy your bloat. I don't even tweak i3 that much but I can recognize the bloated shit that most DEs have become. Tiling is good for productivity and GNOME takes a shitload more time to boot, even on an SSD. Yeah I'll take the tiling WM over the massive DE anyday.
>>
Alright, this is driving me nuts. Here's my /etc/sudoers :
Defaults        env_reset
Defaults mail_badpass
Defaults secure_path="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin"

# Host alias specification

# User alias specification

# Cmnd alias specification

# User privilege specification
root ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL

# Allow members of group sudo to execute any command
%sudo ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL

# See sudoers(5) for more information on "#include" directives:

#includedir /etc/sudoers.d
me ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
me ALL = NOPASSWD: /home/me/.script/bright_down
. After saving the file, sudo still asks for a password when I want to run my script. What am I doing wrong ?
>>
>>51521326
I use Wayland close to every day. That said, I also use xorg.

The answer to this question is generally going to be that it depends what you need it for. Wayland is certainly less developed than X, and certainly the programs I use with Wayland are. But that does not mean that it cannot be used.

>>51521188
You cannot encrypt a partition without wiping it. But copying and replacing all the stuff there can work. I would be wary of using dd for that if you are not sure what you are doing. It might be simpler to make a zipped archive.

>>51521853
You cannot run startx from inside of things like tmux. But you can disconnect the tmux session and restart it inside of x.
>>
>>51521853
>Is it possible to split the bash shell (before starting wm)
That's what I meant. You want to split the bash terminal BEFORE you start the WM, which implies that you haven't run X yet.
>>
Installed kubuntu last night, first time having a Linux partition.

Holy fuck does plasma suck...

Current goal: get fb chat to route through pidgin
>>
>>51517880

It's just a tint2 & openbox config running on real debian, on debian repos. can't really abandon a collection of config files.

And they are good config files with sane defaults.
>>
>>51521872
>me ALL = NOPASSWD: /home/me/.script/bright_down
There's space between ALL and =
>>
>>51521903
>using KDE at all
ID-10T problem.
>>
>>51521884
Second anon here, I use dd for making images of the OS and rsync for backing up my data partition. One of those os images saved my ass recently, so I know what I'm doing. I just want to keep my existing OS and not have to install a fresh one cause then I'd have to configure and install a ton of shit.
>>
>>51521913
That's how it is in the man page and removing it doesn't change anything anyway.
>>
>>51521920
Eh, unity seems like crap, want a current Ubuntu derivative.

Wat do?
>>
>>51521947
What does the script contain? That may trigger the whole password.
>>
>>51521958
No anon, the password prompt is sudo's. Here's my code :
brightness=$((`cat /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness`-50))

if [ $brightness -gt 0 ]
then
echo $brightness > /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness
fi
>>
Building a PC, not for gaming, ps3/4 for that.
Question is, do Vulkan/Linux support each other? If so what gpu should I get? Thinking an HD 7970, theres a good deal for one, unless its a meme card. Does Vulkan work with the Radeon 7000 series cards?
>>
>>51521974
Solution 1:
Change the owner of brightness inside the /sys/class/backlight/blah blah to your username

Solution 2:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Backlight
>>
>>51522015
This is not a solution to my problem, this is a workaround. Modifying my sudoers file doesn't work regardless of the script's content and this is what I want to fix.
>>
>>51521903
don't use the built in pidgin facebook, unless you know all the technical details, there's a facebook plugin for pidgin that let's you just log in, I don't remember the exact name though
>>
>>51517153
LINUX CONFIRMED FOR RACIST
>>
>>51522072
Yea, I know the built in one doesn't work, getting the plugin going is kicking my ass.
>>
>>51522137
what's the problem exactly?
>>
What's the best way to get your feet wet with hacking at the kernel from your guys' experience? Knoppix on a USB or Virtual Box?
>>
>>51517869
See I use i3 but I can't made sense out of openbox
idk why
>>
What is the most vanilla Linux experience I can get?

I'm thinking it would be either Slackware or maybe Crux, but I could be wrong.

Also has anyone on Gentoo experienced an oddly slow Firefox lately? These past few installs I've done I get the same problem with Firefox being practically unusably slow and hogging resources while everything else seems to be fine, I don't seem to be doing anything different than I have in past installs either and it's the same machine.
>>
>>51517153
I don't think we should keep recommending openSUSE considering Debian is the "original" version, far more stable and it's almost as much "user friendly" as openSUSE.

Just sayin'
>>
>>51521872
Use visudo
>>
File: afterlife.jpg (927 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
afterlife.jpg
927 KB, 2000x2000
1) Is there option in the latest KDE to remove cashew from desktop?

2)In xfce , using banshee, i blacklist players from my sound menu (using dconf) , they get removed , but as soon as i start banshee or vlc again they appear again in the sound menu , and in dconf.
How to permanently disable this stuff from appearing in my sound menu?

3) When I click panel icons in panel that open their little popups (wifi, sound,calendar,...) , those windows are either overlapping the panel or they are behind it unless i open/close them several times until they align with the panel. Is there a fix for this , or xfce is shitty?
Using it on Xubuntu.
Thanks and please respond I'm out of options.
>>
What's an ideal partitioning scheme for Linux these days on a 256gb ssd?

Normally I just have a partitions for swap, / and /home

Am I missing out on anything important? Surely space isn't a concern anymore...
>>
>>51521884
Do wms for it break? Any good tiling wms?
Still no plans for awesome port? Would be sad leaving it, awesome was really, well, awesome.
Is sway any good?
I assume most applications only run with Xwayland?
>>
>>51522396
Debian is not nearly as friendly as OpenSUSE lmao, also on Debian something is always broken for me(desktop programs) in the stable branch which means it will take FOREVER to fix so I always just move to the testing branch.
>>
I'm gonna try out a WM (i3). Is xorg the only prerequisite I need to install beforehand?
>>
What do you do on Linux all day? I play video games on windows.

Id like to be part of the meme but can't find a good reason to do so.
>>
My gentoo dependency tree for the last stable version in the tree, if it helps.
[Words in brackets] are USE flags. Since these are mostly X, you will likely need them installed.
* dependency graph for x11-wm/i3-4.11
`-- x11-wm/i3-4.11 ~amd64
`-- dev-libs/libev-4.20 (dev-libs/libev) ~amd64
`-- dev-libs/libpcre-8.38 (dev-libs/libpcre) ~amd64
`-- dev-libs/yajl-2.0.4-r3 (>=dev-libs/yajl-2.0.3) amd64
`-- x11-libs/libxcb-1.11.1 (x11-libs/libxcb) ~amd64 [xkb]
`-- x11-libs/libxkbcommon-0.5.0 (x11-libs/libxkbcommon) amd64 [X]
`-- x11-libs/startup-notification-0.12-r1 (x11-libs/startup-notification) amd64
`-- x11-libs/xcb-util-0.4.0 (x11-libs/xcb-util) amd64
`-- x11-libs/xcb-util-cursor-0.1.2 (x11-libs/xcb-util-cursor) ~amd64
`-- x11-libs/xcb-util-keysyms-0.4.0 (x11-libs/xcb-util-keysyms) amd64
`-- x11-libs/xcb-util-wm-0.4.1-r1 (x11-libs/xcb-util-wm) amd64
`-- x11-libs/pango-1.38.1 (>=x11-libs/pango-1.30.0) ~amd64 [X]
`-- x11-libs/cairo-9999 (>=x11-libs/cairo-1.12.2) [X xcb]
`-- virtual/pkgconfig-0-r1 (virtual/pkgconfig) amd64
`-- dev-lang/perl-5.22.0 (dev-lang/perl) ~amd64
`-- dev-perl/AnyEvent-I3-0.160.0 (dev-perl/AnyEvent-I3) ~amd64
`-- dev-perl/JSON-XS-3.10.0 (dev-perl/JSON-XS) ~amd64
[ x11-wm/i3-4.11 stats: packages (17), max depth (1) ]
>>
Just built an arch machine. I was using unity/ubuntu before and have been trying out Gnome... it's HORRIBLE. Not sure if I should try out a window manager or what. I know there are thigns like awesome and i3 out there, but i'm not sure where to start. Recommendations for a new tweaker?
>>
>>51522672
You could brag about installing Gentoo and post cute anime grills in Desktop thread.
>>
>>51522672
browse the web, make stuff in blender, consume other media, draw in krita, make shitty icons in inkscape, play games (i like torchlight 2 and 0ad personally), communicate with people... do whatever you want.
>>
>>51522672
Learn about OS stuff by configuring Gentoo, since I want to work in IT and this will be helpful.
Play older games with wine or emulation (I play mostly these nowadays). Steam for newer ones.
Spend less time on waiting for computer lagging.
Spend more time looking at pretty running text during compilation, except when I do something else in the meantime.
Funpost on 4chan.
All the other stuff I did on Windows too.
From time to time have fun screwing with configs.
>>
>>51522698
xfce masterrace
>>
So I know how to dual boot when installing a fresh Windows but how do it with a pre-installed Windows 10? I want to install arch on top of my already existing Windows 10
>>
>>51522797
make partition smaller, disable fast startup in wangblows, reboot with installation medium, install.
if you don't even know this or how to use a search engine, why do you want to install arch?
>>
>>51522492
have you tried leap? it's broken as fuck
>>
>>51522835
I've installed arch before I just get really nervous about partitioning and fucking my shit up so wanted some comfort.
>>
>>51522698
xfce4 is good if you dont want to go digging through config files

otherwise go with i3 and start here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1I63wGcvU4

he goes over pretty much everything you need to know and how to rice
>>
Why do you always say not to use Unity? It's by far the most "complete" feeling, polished DE I've used
>>
>>51522992
Because it's ugly, bloated and slow. It also doesn't allow any real customisation which many people want.
>>
>>51523014
But it's solid and works well, which is good for beginners, whom you specifically tell not to use it
>>
File: 1446657017246s.jpg (3 KB, 109x124) Image search: [Google]
1446657017246s.jpg
3 KB, 109x124
i have a jvc tv 24 inch that i am using as a monitor. it uses vga but i cannot seem to get native resolution to work in linux. no matter what i try.

i have to spend a while configuring it in windows to get it to work right. if i remember rightly i tried using xrandr with a modeline and adding the resoution that way. it wouldn't work.

the monitor also has hdmi but for some reason it looks like shit when used with computers. anyone have a fix either for the vga or hdmi? the resoultion im trying to use it 1920.1080
>>
>>51523034
>solid and works well
That covers every mature DE
There are just better less restrictive options than unity.
>>
>>51522148

For some reason, when I go to install it, it won't work. Forcing it to install from synaptic uninstall pidgin itself
>>
>>51523063
install non-free drivers? what does xrandr say?
>>
>>51523063
Paste xrandr output (as in when you simply run xrandr without any arguments)
>>
>>51523063
Model number of TV?
>>
>>51517153
linux are barbaric brutes.
>>
>>51523131
it all appears to go through fine with xrandr.

i am using the proprietary nvidia drivers. i have a gtx 680 if thats relevant at all
>>
>>51523034
Every DE is solid and works well, there is no benefit to using it over something like xfce4, cinnamon, or even gnome.
>>
>>51523138
JVC LT-24HG31J
>>
>>51523176
In your TV's settings, set HDMI mode to PC and press the picture size button on the remote until it says "real".
Does it make any difference to the HDMI input?
>>
>>51521872
I just added the exact same thing to my sudoers and it just works. Is that your whole sudoers file? Did you triple-check the path to your script?
>>
So, I am trying to install xubunty 14.04 in dualboot with windows 10 on my laptop (asus x554la). I've disabled hibernation and fastboot in windows and secure boot and fastboot in bios. When I am trying to install xubuntu installer shows me this error - "the attempt to mount a file system with type vfat in SCSI1 (0,0,0), partition #1 (sda) at /boot/efi failed".
There's screenshot of my current partition system. On free 30 gigs I've mounted 2 partitions - 12GB root and 15 GB home; also, 4GB swap.
What am I doing wrong?
>>
Some programs like filezilla are not available for debian testing, only for stable and unstable. Should I switch from testing to unstable? Any unstable users here? What's your experience?
>>
>>51523349
You are dual booting with Windows.
>>
>>51523356
I-its u-unstab-ble b-b-bruh .-.
>>
So I've read several articles that say that Xbox one controllers work on kernel 3.17 and up, but I can't get mine working on Ubuntu 15.10
Everywhere else I ask they just say "It doesn't support wireless", to which I tell them I'm NOT using it wireless, and then they just stop replying
So does anyone here know what to do? All of the articles say it just works but it doesn't
>>
>>51523394
So what? I can't just stop using Windows.
>>
>>51523356
aren't backports available for testing aswell?
>>
>>51523408
I don't get it, are you implying that I shouldn't switch or are you implying that I shouldn't be afraid of switching because it doesn't break or have any major problems, even though it has a "scary" name? And by switching I mean changing the repos to the unstable ones, not a clean install.
>>
>>51523349
dont you have to pick a file-system for the free-space partition and format it?

pick ext4 or whatever you like.
>>
>>51523429
You can and you will ! DEUS VULT !
>>
>>51523425
Do you know the name of the kernel module it uses? You could try modprobing it, perhaps it isn't loaded.
>>
>>51523394
That wasn't very friendly, pal
>>
>>51523442
I don't know anything about kernels or modules, all I know is that everyone says it just works as long as you're on 3.17 or above, and that I'm running 4.something
>>
>>51523438
I've done it, obviously. Both root and home are ext4. That's old screenshot.
>>
>>51520885
>Unix sucks, convert to OS X El Capitano
you what now

you realize what you typed, right?
>>
>>51523456
According to this
>https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gamepad#PlayStation_3.2F4_controller
the PS button needs to be pushed to begin. If you plug it in, open a terminal and type lsusb and see what the output is.
>>
>>51523457
If I remember the /boot can be in a single partition, or could be in the root partition (/) but either way it needs the first sectors of the hd.
I may be wrong let me research.
>>
>>51520928
you mean that you just want the screen to turn off and not for it to actually suspend, right?

like you wanna safely close the lid?
>>
>>51523441
>DEUS VULT
Permanent casus belli gained against neighboring heathens and heretics
>>
>>51523480
Pushing the button makes it try to find an Xbox, I'll try the command in a minute
>>
>>51517153
I've three HDDs, one for Win, other for anime and the other's just there, it's full of random shit.

If I format it and install Linux on it will the case of booting to correct system be just turning boot menu on?

Should I keep all hard drives connected or just the target one during installation, to avoid bootmgr shenanigans?
>>
>>51523349
>12GB root
That ain't gonna be enough in the long run.
>15 GB home
Absolutely useless.
>4GB swap
>swap
>current year
Why?
>>
>>51523503
>makes it try to find an Xbox
What, the controller or the computer?
>>
>>51523483
/boot/efi has to be vfat, unfortunately. I don't know if he (>>51523349) can just mount /dev/sda5 as /boot/efi
>>
>>51521949
install arch with the architect installer

it's babby easy but if you get stuck I can help you also
>>
>>51523507
UEFI/BIOS?
>>
>>51522672
do the same thing.. I do the same stuff I used to, I just enjoy life more now

games work fine
>>
>>51523483
boot is sda1 partition so I guess its in the first sector. Actually, there are 2 boot partitions, sda1 and sda5 that marked as "Windows Boot partition". Why 2 efi partitions? Jesus christ.
>>
>>51522698
openbox is good, i3 is good

avoid DEs
>>
Need to passthrough my firewire controller to a Windows guest for like 10 fucking seconds while I configure something with Windows-only software.
I'm getting VERR_RESOURCE_BUSY when trying to start the VM, unplugged everything from the card, despite having unbound the driver, and unloaded (and blacklisted) the kernel module.
I'm using VirtualBox because Xen seems like a whole lot of effort to go through to passthrough for something that is going to take less than 10 seconds.
How do I find out what is using the card?

>mfw in the amount of time I'm spent with this, I could have installed Windows, made the changes, and wiped the install again
>no face
>>
>>51523513
The controller
It's an Xbox One wireless controller (There is no official wired one), if you google "Xbox One controller ubuntu" you'll find tons of articles and topics that say you can just plug it in and it'll work, but it won't for me
>>
>>51523541
>avoid DEs
like how you ignore sex?
>>
>>51523527
>UEFI/BIOS
BIOS I believe, I've got sort of antique mobo, GB P55
>>
>>51523558
>hurr wm virgins durr
OTOH I'm sure your incredible wit helps you get laid all the time
>>
>>51523515
So, what should I do? I do not want to fuck my win10 up, to be honest.
>>
>>51523579
I can never tell which one are you , Neo or Morpheus ?
>>
>>51523480
lsusb does absolutely nothing, it just makes a blank line and now I can't type commands
>>
>>51523563
Or did you mean what kind of bios do I have? Dunno lol, I know how to set up boot order and bring up boot menu, that's not an issue. I'm just wondering if it won't be a problem to have all three drives connected and them working, no matter which system I'm on.
>>
>>51523551
>zgrep -i xpad /proc/config.gz
This will tell you if it has been built in to the kernel.

>lsmod | grep -i xpad
This will tell if the module is loaded

>lsusb
You can see if it is recognised
>>
>>51523604
Lol, your installation is majorly fucked
>>
>>51517153
I've just noticed there is no /dev/fw0 entry. Is that the problem?
How can the device be in use if the the device doesn't even exist?
>>
>>51523608
Linux, no problem. Windows however, would go nuts and BSoD out of nowhere.
>>
>>51523604
You did something wrong then
>>
>>51523588
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI
>>
>>51523620
>>51523632
I don't know what, it's a clean install, I've done nothing except install steam and the Arc theme
>>
>>51523627
Yeah, I remember that'd happen if I made the install with all three drives connected, but if install Linux with just its drive connected, it should be a-ok right?
>>
>>51523507
>If I format it and install Linux on it will the case of booting to correct system be just turning boot menu on?
Yes
>Should I keep all hard drives connected or just the target one during installation, to avoid bootmgr shenanigans?
Although Linux installers shouldn't do any "helpful" stuff in the background, like install bootloaders on different physical disks, I'd still remove all the other drives just to be safe.
>>
>>51523647
Did you put / at the end or something?
Doesn't make much sense what you say about can't type more commands.
Press control c and try with sudo.
>>
>>51523662
Alright, posting back in a few, gonna try it.
>>
>>51523652
Yep. Considering you use BIOS and going to dual-boot, the problem would be with GRUB, which must have your Windows drive connected if you want it to detect Windows partition
>>
>>51523620
I'm getting the same thing and I have no clue why. I know it used to work when I tried to get my dualshock 3 to work(which it never did).
>>
>>51523673
I just typed "lsusb", without the quotes
Control C just types "^C"
I tried closing the terminal and opening a new one to try with sudo and my computer froze
>>
>>51523063
the issue is probably the tv
>>
>>51523731
Ok, well something is very strange there, don't know what to suggest.
>>
>>51523356
just use arch to be honest family
>>
>>51523779
Why should I use arch? Legit question.
>>
>>51523558
ignore sex? are you implying that I get raped and pretend I don't or something? that doesn't make much sense
>>
>>51523731
>>51523760
Ok when this happens just restart. I get the same thing and usually none of my USB ports work at that point and I still have no clue why it happens or when.
>>
>>51523791
fresh as fuck packages, bitchin' AUR (doesn't mean much now, but you'll learn to love it later), combining these two you have access to tons of software very easily, all of it up to date

also since it's rolling release you just run your daily or weekly updates and that's it, there's never a big chunky monkey upgrade that fucks your shit

legit answer.
>>
>>51523824
oh and also because architect makes installing arch really easy so now is a good time to get into it
>>
>>51523798
Oh geez , I meant to say "avoid sex" not "ignore sex" , sorry about that mister sir.
>>
>>51523824
so arch with AUR is essentially like debian unstable with PPA?
>>
>>51523824
>>51523845
Okay, I'll definitely try it in a vm, and maybe install it on my machine if it's actually that good.
>>
>>51523845
You can also use Antergos and then just remove their repo if you don't like it.
>>
>>51523853
ah, in that case I actually do avoid sex

haven't had any since 8th grade.. tough to say if I "got it out of my system" or if there was some sort of emotional trauma that lead to me losing interest in such things

however I don't really think that's related to me avoiding desktop environments, I just enjoy using computers without them a lot more and I want everyone here to have a good experience
>>
File: IMG_20151125_125807.jpg (2 MB, 4096x3072) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151125_125807.jpg
2 MB, 4096x3072
>>51523802
>>51523760
He's dead
>>
>>51523888
Arch is more minimal and the AUR >>>>> PPA.

>>51523908
How do you fuck up this bad
>>
>>51523898
Antergos has shitty Cnchi. Architect is better.
>>
>>51523898
Would not recommend. Antergos is a distro. It is to Arch as CrunchBang was to Debian. Architect is just an installer for regular Arch.

>>51523888
Sorta... PPAs are pretty shit so I don't like this comparison.

It's more like if there was something to do after enabling non-free repos on Debian. After getting an AUR helper like Yaourt, installation is the same as using pacman for regular packages. You can just search and install from your terminal. Yaourt even integrates with Pacman so that you can update your whole system (including AUR packages) with a yaourt command, and when you search with yaourt it searches both pacman repos and the AUR.
>>
>>51523917
I just wanted to use a controller
>>
>>51523948
Wii U Pro Controller works well out of the box on GNU/Linux. Uses Bluetooth instead of shit that needs a special adapter. I've also heard good things about the DualShock 4, but I don't have any Playstation stuff.
>>
>>51523888
>Debian unstable
Debian testing would be more accurate.

Arch testing = Debian unstable
>>
>>51523940
yaourt is so insanely useful its insane desu

its so nice how each package shows which repo its from and a description of what it does too desu senpai
>>
>>51523966
What? Really? I had no idea the Pro worked
Do you know if it works in games that only support Xinput on windows? I don't know much about how controllers work in linux
>>
>>51524048
Can you list specific games? The answer is probably yes considering GNU/Linux has xinput.

I've played Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, Hammerwatch, Super Hexagon, Melody's Escape, Super Meat Boy, etc. with my controller.

The only weird thing I had to do in setting it up was put some text file somewhere so it would stop moving the mouse when I plugged it in
>>
>>51524089
Why was the mouse moving?
Anyway, I think some of those games only support xinput on windows, so it's probably fine
>>
>>51524123
Computer assuming the controller you connected was for moving the mouse. One option was to run
xinput disable idofdevicehere
. Another was to just place a file somewhere in an X11 related folder.
>>
>>51523908
You might have a massive log file, maybe have a look in /var/log
>>
>>51523940
yogurt integrates well enough that the gui package managers also have aur access, if point and click is your thing
>>
>>51524346
>using a GUI wrapper for pacman
>>
>>51524459
>using gui for anything

Sent from Lynx
>>
>>51524459
some people like it that way, and it's convenient for browsing what's available
>>
>>51524466
>using lynx
>not sending it manually with a bash script to send a reply and answering captcha with a legacy captcha sent through framebuffer
>>
File: sci.jpg (135 KB, 640x988) Image search: [Google]
sci.jpg
135 KB, 640x988
Greetings /flt/ I would like some clarifications on my filesystem/data storage choices. To keep the memes to a minimum I'm not gonna list brands, beyond saying they're NAS drives and not seagate.

I currently have 2 x 4 TB drives that I have in a single LVM. These are primarily media drives, only some of the data is critical (and therefore backed up on externals obviously). I am planning on buying 6 x 4 TB drives and a 64 GB SSD to make an 8 x 4 TB RAID6 array, 24 TB effective storage, and I want to use the SSD as a cache (and also as a dumb drive for /var/).

MY OPTIONS:
>ext4 with LVM/mdadm to use the SSD as a cache for the RAID6 array
>BTRFS RAID6 with LVM to use the SSD as a cache
>ZFS with an L2 arc SSD cache and RAIDZ2

Problems include me not having ECC RAM (and only 16 GB of RAM) so ZFS is sort of out. BTRFS is unstable on parity RAID and I'd still need LVM for the SSD cache, and finally ext4 has no checksumming. Currently I'm leaning toward ext4 mdadm/LVM because it's the cheapest option, the only downside being it doesn't have checksumming which I may need because 32 TB is a lot of data and bitrot could be an issue.

Pic is just to try and attempt to get you to read this post.
>>
wow on linux. i see a few people on here before post configs etc on how to get wow working well on linux. i think they were just some edits to text files but they said it improved performance a lot. does anyone here know what to do or where to find it out?
>>
Does anyone actually use sabayon?
>>
>>51525160
just google wow linux tweaks, I don't feel like sifting through the results for ya
>>
Is there a good gui configurator for mpv? I'm using gnome-mpv but that doesn't support configuration.
>>
>>51525216
Baka mplayer, smplayer.
>>
>>51525256
I just want a configuration program, not a frontend
>>
How come I can't view 720p videos on FF 41.0 in Arch, yet it works on chromium?

wat do.
>>
>>51525274
Then no there isn't. It's really not hard to edit the text file, the instructions are pretty clear.
>>
>>51525281
Mozilla a shit.
Though you could go and google for the solutions.
>>
>>51525281
switch to aurora or edit the media and mediasource settings in about:config
>>
how to I make a daemon so that when I press F6 or F7 (for brightness purposes), it changes the /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness file
essentially, I need root privileges, does systemd enable root privileges to its childs when it inits?
>>
Hey /flt/. Got a question for you.
I've just fried my graphics card. I was thinking of installing Mint for a long time now and I finally had enough of this windows bullshit. Will Mint work with my graphics card totally useless?
Btw I have a laptop with an i5-2450. I'm getting a new one later, but I need this shit working right now.
>>
>>51517153
zombie processes doesn't exsist in *nix systems
>>
>>51525589
why don't you try, it'll most likely work though
just install the right drivers, but I think Mint does it for you.
>>
>>51525604
>zombie processes doesn't exsist in *nix systems
>>
>>51525669
I'll do that. But right now I'm waiting for windows7 to revert all 219 updates it just installed due to some error. Thought I could ask before I do that, just to keep safe. I can't lose my laptop right now.
>>
>>51525716
sucks to wait for Windows to do its thing while not being able to do stuff, have fun.
>>
>>51525281
non-free video codecs being disabled out of the box by mozilla
>>
>>51523285
>>51523138
>>51523134
This is how it looks in nvidia x server settings. whenever i try to change the viewportout it just swaps back to that
>>
I'm trying to compile chromium in gentoo and I'm gettting tons of
<command-line>:0:0: warning: "_FORTIFY_SOURCE" redefined
errors, should I just let it keep going, or is there something I need to fix?

example:

http://pastebin.com/9mqcfkyw
>>
>>51517818
I asked myself that exact question yesterday after installing Debian. I got KDE, didn't like it, switched to Gnome, and it's OK. If you decide on Gnome, I would recommend opening the "Tweak Tool," and playing around with it. Get a few extensions. Gnome, as it comes out of the box is shit but it can be configured.
>>
>>51521096

have a /bin/ dir in you homedir, put it in your path, easy script access
>>
What should I have in my mpv configuration?

Right now I just have

#video
vo=opengl-hq
fs=yes
stop-screensaver=yes
hwdec=auto
#audio
ao=pulse
>>
>>51526501
What's wrong with that? Does it not work? It should.
>>
>>51526537
It works, I just don't know if I should have more
>>
>>51526546
Well if it works then why change it? You could possibly add interpolation if judder bother you. Or you could add some 1337 scalars, but opengl-hq is a pretty good preset.
>>
I just installed Fedora 23

DNF is a bit confusing to me since I'm used to Apt. Pacman/Yaourt even seemed simpler.

Anyways, how do I install mpv?

I looked at http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=mpv

and it looks like you can only install mpv on Fedora 22? That seems really odd.
>>
Anyone remember the command to change the color moc? I can't seem to find it.
>>
How do I disable the recently used tab in the start menu in XFCE?
Using Linux Mint. There is no recently-used.xbel and even if I create one and leave it blank with a lock it does nothing.
>>
Is there any difference between compatibility profile and core profile for fglrx?
>>
What's a good cursor set that goes well with numix?
>>
>>51528301
I actually quite like the elementary cursor theme.
Breeze cursors are pretty good too if you want something colored.
>>
>>51525791
Yeah. Thanks, anon.
>>51525589
So I've installed mint. How do I disable the graphics card driver?
>>
File: fuck.jpg (71 KB, 602x300) Image search: [Google]
fuck.jpg
71 KB, 602x300
I'm trying to set a "root" flag for partition 2 but it won't let me. Any ideas?
>>
>>51517153
taskkill /f  /im process_name.exe
kill -9 process_name
>>
>>51528527
*pkill
>>
>>51528481
Are you trying to save your data on /dev/sda2
no?
$ mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdxY

A VM install?
Read this carefully:
>>
>>51528481
If you just want to install Arch, use Architect Linux or Antergos.

If you still want to do things that hard way by going through the wiki, parted sucks balls, you should really use cfdisk or cgdisk.
>>
>>51528595
Forgot the link:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners'_guide#UEFI.2FGPT_examples
>>
>>51528481
Or do it as >>51528603 says (Just disregard the antergos garbage)
>>
>>51520885
but im already using el capitaint and I want to go back
>>
>>51520885
don't forget to filter
/^(?!Anonymous$)/
>>
>>51528481
Are you actually following the install guide?
>>
What's a good size for a USB stick to run linux from it? I have a 16gb SanDisk Ultra.

Also, what are the pros and cons of OpenSUSE and Mint? These are the two I am considering as babby's first linux.

Thanks.
>>
>>51520885
Take that name off for' I shoot up your block nigga
>>
>>51528684
Do you have a rooted android phone? That's all you need to mess about with live isos.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.