[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hypervisor recommend because I'm weak
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: type1hypervisor.png (37 KB, 555x264) Image search: [Google]
type1hypervisor.png
37 KB, 555x264
So windows is a bunch of faggotry wanting to do dumb shit but adobe and gaems
so what hypervisor would you guys use if you want GPU passthrough?
So far I've looked at esxi and some weird shit called unRAID by limetech.
Also you think AMD gpus will always be easier to pass through? I want the gtx1080 for machine learning shit on linux and ideally it'd be nice if there were a hypervisor that I could have the gpu pass through for both linux and windows and just run one at a time.
>>
>>55577078
>gpu pass through
good luck with this, you gonna need it. I am not saying it doesn't exists, but in most project it still has the label "experimental", it has poor performance and it works with limited software, sometimes you even need combinations of hardware as well.

Much more reliable way is to dual boot. It is 10 minutes of setup, 100% software compatibility no matter what updates, drivers, kernels will screw up in future and no bottlenecks in your virtual machines.

>think AMD gpus will always be easier
AMD and anything linux related is a bad idea. Not that nvidia is much better, but still they at least bother to release SOMETHING which maintainers pack into packages.
>gtx1080 for machine learning
>machine learning
I am not sure which kind of problems you want to solve, but anything basic can be done with normal CPU + a LOT of RAM. But hey, it will play your games fine.

tldr:
GPUs in VMs are EXPERIMENTAL. Atm not worth any effort at all. Save yourself time and do dual boot if you must.
>>
>>55577078
Calm the fuck down

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF
>>
Proxmox is top tier and has easy passthrough.
>>
>>55577262
good point with the dual booting option, that's actually what I'm doing currently but thought this would be a fun project if it really could work, but you're right updates and drivers scare me.

>>55577325
mah nigga

>>55577446
haven't heard of that one before - and it uses kvm, sounds promising thanks!
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.