[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rare Earths the Thorium Problem
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2
File: rare-earths-3.jpg (65 KB, 672x370) Image search: [Google]
rare-earths-3.jpg
65 KB, 672x370
No, not talking about thorium reactors, not opening that discussion here.
I'm talking about the fact that our treatment of thorium in mining prevents us from using our own rare metals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyqYP6f66Mw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxwF93wnRQo

China will always be able to outdo non-chinese producers in technology, no matter how hard we try.
Do you think we need to radically rethink our old nuclear weapons guidelines and contracts?
>>
File: china generals logo.gif (20 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
china generals logo.gif
20 KB, 200x200
>>55571813
>Muh globalism muh free trade is the only way
>Thinking we can trust the Chinese government to participate honestly in a free market like private individuals

Western rare earth mining private companies in North/South Amercia and Australia have all gone bankrupt against Chinese state owned companies stockpiling then dumping resources

Tariffs and trade sanctions against China and other non-free countries are the only way.

Next thing you'll be telling me is that we can expect the Chinese to respect our "intellectual property"
>>
>>55571930
>Next thing you'll be telling me is that we can expect the Chinese to respect our "intellectual property"
I think you got it wrong, but glad to see your opinion on that stated.

The reason why China outdoes the west is because they don't adhere to the "thorium is nuclear weapons grade material" rule which forces western mines to dump millions of tons of rare earth ores away because they contain thorium.
China is the only country doing rare earth refinement on a big scale right now.
If Thorium wasn't labeled as a "source material for nuclear weapons" or if it didn't have to be handled that way, the US alone could supply all its rare earth needs with just one phosphate mine in Florida. Europe had rare earth mines up until 2009 or 2004 (the last one closed around that time in Spain...because the toxic waste treatment was too costly)
That's why nuclear weapons guidelines need to be revisited. we are working with shit from the cold war.
>>
>>55571813
The only way I see this being solved is if Trump becomes president and someone brings it to his attention.

Do it before GE and it could be on his campaign even, raising awareness.
>>
>>55572309
This.
The guy know how to sift through the problems of internal and external trade. And he'll probably appoint a lot of people from or close to the economic sector.
Hillary would just send more money to her benefactors and strip people of their rights, Like they are currently doing>:
They are stripping landowners of their rights to their land if thorium-poor rare earths are discovered on it so they can open more mines that close within 15 years because they are not profitable, which is the worst possible solution.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.