[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why isnt it as accessible to build you own laptop like it is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 1464225787896.jpg (35 KB, 601x601) Image search: [Google]
1464225787896.jpg
35 KB, 601x601
Why isnt it as accessible to build you own laptop like it is to build a desktop? I would like to see a larger market for DIY laptop or tablet components.
>>
>>55569209
Look at how much volume is wasted in an average desktop computer. It's impossible to make everything sufficiently modular for DIY in a laptop or tablet without massively bloating it.
>>
>>55569209
>Why isnt it as accessible to build you own laptop
Dell lets you choose your specs in the laptop you order.
Also, CPU, RAM, HDD, GPU, Wireless cards are all socketed standard on Gaming laptops. So if you want a new motherboard, time to get a new laptop.
>>
>>55569298
There's still things like keyboard and screens i wish would be easier to replace

>>55569264
It wouldnt be terribly bloated. When you consider how then a motherboard with an APU would be against something with a Gpu you could even build one decent for light gaming. the only thing that i think would take up space on a z-axis would be a PSU and that wouldnt even be terrible if it was elongated enough. sure it wouldnt be macbook air levels of thin but you could build it without being "bulky"
>>
>>55569323
>There's still things like keyboard and screens i wish would be easier to replace
They're already easy to replace. They're usually the first things you can access after removing 4 screws on Dells and Thinkpads.
>>
>>55569351
Yeah but you need an exact screen type to replace it. yeah yeah, i know what you're thinking. Technically you dont. But if you dont want to tear about the entire screen frame and get to soldering one in with a higher resolution, then you should have the option of having a standardized one you can replace and alter with just those four screws as opposed to get the one for the make and model of the laptop
>>
>>55569323
Open up any "fat" laptop, you'll see how tightly packed everything is even in a non macbook air one.
And there's also the issue of external ports, you can't just use swappable plates like in desktop PCs unless you want to massively restrict the choice of form factors and materials.
>>
>>55569384
"fat" laptops are typically outdated ones and needed everything to be in a 1cm margin of each other. Im sorry if my English is bad, im still working on it. But arent they coming out with stamp sized SSD's up to 250gb now? couldnt that be soldered onto a motherboard and the only thing finalizing the thickness be the external ports? and i dont see how the swappable place plates would be an issue, just make the ports one column and have the standard width of a laptop plate be around 1 inch or so. and the plate could have a plastic cover to be more visually pleasing with the case as opposed to just aluminum sunk in there.
>>
>>55569452
>wanting shit soldered

Plsno
>>
>>55569371
What are you even talking about
>>
>>55570426
He wants universally replaceable screens.
>>
>>55570621
t. eDP
>>
The average gamer retard that touts about building his own PC couldn't put together a small slim ultrabook. Because it's more than just placing everything in the right slow and screwing it into a case.
>>
>>55570836
You never touched pre-2012 laptop, ain't ya?
>>
>>55569371
>soldering one in with a higher resolution
You don't solder anything to do with the screen, it's either going to be eDP or LVDS. The connectors are finicky but not soldered.
>>55569209
You would need to standardise a whole lot of shit to achieve this. Even the standards that are in place now generally speaking allow too much wiggle room.
>>55569351
Generally speaking HP will let you change the keyboard by removing two screws. I've had several HP laptops and always swapped the local keyboard out for a British one. Screens can be a bit harder though.

Basically the answer to OP is "Get a gaming laptop and accept that you'll look like a massive faggot carrying around a two ton POS that'll fry itself in three years." Even then, MXM cards cost a fortune, CPUs can be pricy and hard to find, how often are you going to change the storage and the Wi-Fi module? There's absolutely no point to a modular laptop.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.