[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
wifi only working on windows
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 1273332032wifi4youcom1.jpg (170 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1273332032wifi4youcom1.jpg
170 KB, 512x384
hey /g/entoomen, how come my wifi only works on windows ?

i have an Alpha with an RTL8187l chip.
the wifi i'm trying to connect to is pretty far away, -58db is the best i could get.
while on linux i can connect to it but then thats it, it seems that all my packets are lost.
i changed my txpower to 30 but it still the same.

on windows however, it works ! altho i get qute a few packet loss i can still use internet.

how is that possible ?

ps: linux can connect and use closer wifi networks just fine
>>
>>55566005
No idea, I have a 8187B and it always worked fine
>>
File: solution.jpg (25 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
solution.jpg
25 KB, 500x500
>>55566005
Just use Ethernet.
>>
>>55566005
https://www.netroby.com/view/3801
>iwconfig wlan0 frag 512
>iwconfig wlan0 rts 250
>iwconfig wlan0 retry short 3

rts[_threshold]
RTS/CTS adds a handshake before each packet transmission to make sure that the channel is clear. This adds overhead, but
increases performance in case of hidden nodes or a large number of active nodes. This parameter sets the size of the
smallest packet for which the node sends RTS ; a value equal to the maximum packet size disables the mechanism. You may
also set this parameter to auto, fixed or off.
frag[mentation_threshold]
Fragmentation allows to split an IP packet in a burst of smaller fragments transmitted on the medium. In most cases this
adds overhead, but in a very noisy environment this reduces the error penalty and allow packets to get through interfer‐
ence bursts. This parameter sets the maximum fragment size which is always lower than the maximum packet size.
This parameter may also control Frame Bursting available on some cards, the ability to send multiple IP packets together.
This mechanism would be enabled if the fragment size is larger than the maximum packet size.
You may also set this parameter to auto, fixed or off.
retry Most cards have MAC retransmissions, and some allow to set the behaviour of the retry mechanism.
To set the maximum number of retries, enter limit `value'. This is an absolute value (without unit), and the default
(when nothing is specified). To set the maximum length of time the MAC should retry, enter lifetime `value'. By
defaults, this value is in seconds, append the suffix m or u to specify values in milliseconds or microseconds.
You can also add the short, long, min and max modifiers.
>>
>-58 dB

That's actually a very strong signal as the average signal strength for most folks is somewhere between -70 and -80 dB more often than not.

Windows is simply not as efficient with networking aspects of any kind whether it's wired or wireless and sometimes issues crop up on such connections, it's just something you have to deal with as it happens.

If it works, then a few dropped packets is really irrelevant in the long run.

Realize that more than anything else the Alfa adapters are nothing special to be honest, they just gained a reputation because they were well supported on Linux (the chipset), and they came packaged with a high gain omnidirectional antenna.

Just because you can "see" an access point from a distance does not mean you can actually make any good use of it.

Besides, the Alfa devices don't put out nearly the power levels their marketing BS claims - there are limits and they don't put out anywhere near a full watt of energy on transmit, barely a third of that even with the high gain omni antenna.

If you want a better quality signal and better quality connection to a distant access point you're going to need a tuned Yagi, I'd recommend one with at least 15 elements, 18-20 would be even better.
>>
>>55566770
>"ethernet"
>people still use that in 2016?
>>
>>55566770
Most of these don't encrypt at all
>>
>>55568077
His issue is that it works in windows but not in linux.
>>
>>55568109

Do you see any encryption happening by default on wired Ethernet connections on all the networks on the planet?

Nope.

Why would powerLINE wireless be any different?
>>
>>55568123

I'm aware of that, but Linux sucks so what the fuck do I care.
>>
I don't have a dongle with that particular realtek chip. In my experience, Windows acts like the signal is fucking great whereas Linux shows that it's poor. It's shit on both OS, but my room is far away from the router. Don't believe the signal strength Windows reports on Realtek devices. It's bullshit.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.