[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to have a Windows 10 license AND keep Windows 7/8.1
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 10
File: Windows7-10.jpg (46 KB, 950x534) Image search: [Google]
Windows7-10.jpg
46 KB, 950x534
>What’s this all about?

Explaining how to get a permanent license for windows 10 before microsoft pulls free upgrades on the 29th and starts charging $119 to upgrade. There's a pretty easy trick to keep using window 7 or 8, AND have the rights to install 10 at any time.

I also want to perma-answer the handful of questions /g/s been getting overrun with with so we don’t have to keep explaining this shit over and over.

>Do you like windows 10?

No. Fuck the store. Fuck the layout. Fuck the botnet. Also fuck micrsoft for shoving it down our throats all year like they believed only cortana's shiny blue ass could save our souls from eternal torment in the fiery pits of hell.

>So why would I ever want it?

Because there's some shit only Windows 10 does. DirectX12 is only on W10, so there will be at least some games that require it. Also many future Xbone games will be cross platform for W10.

>Fuck vidya.

Microsoft also builds a lot of security advancements into it’s newer OSes that never reach the old ones, so infection rates tend to be a lot lower. And in 2020 Windows 7 will stop receiving security updates too (like that shit that went down with XP a while back), so anyone who wants to keep using their shit as long as possible might want to keep their options open. Also W10 is supposed to be the last version of windows, with them just doling out more servicepacks instead of selling us a new OS every 3 years, hopefully making this the last time we have to have this conversation. It also means that we'll eventually start seeing more and more programs that require either Windows 10 or its (goddamn) app store.

***Tl;dr- Doesn’t take long to get a license, so why not? This way you've got it if you need it.***

>So how do I get a license without upgrading?

You upgrade. But then you just undo it. That’s the loophole: you don't have to KEEP W10 on your computer, you just have to install it once before the 29th, say for 5 minutes,
>>
so the microsoft servers register your PC in their database. You then have a permanent "Digital Entitlement" on that computer, so you can go back to your old version of windows immediately, knowing that W10 is yours forever.

>How Do?

There's 3 ways this can go down…

1) The easiest method is to just upgrade to W10, then downgrade using the “Go Back” button in settings (available for 30 days).

2) If you’re specifically worried about windows messing up the install, you can make a system backup image instead with Macrium Reflect or similar, complete the upgrade, then use a recovery disk to restore the image.

3) Alternatively, you can always do a clean install of your old OS, so long as you have the means to install and activate it.

If you’re going with option 2, make a recovery disk and a backup of your system drive. Otherwise there’s no prep, just accept the Windows 10 upgrade. If you've been having trouble with the upgrade for some reason, you want to do this on multiple PCs, or you just don't want to bother using windows update, you can download the W10 install disk directly from microsoft's website:

microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Click "Download tool now" to make a DVD or USB copy of W10. Then you can run the disc within windows (like installing something from a CD). Skip downloading updates. Once W10 is installed, make sure it’s activated itself online by clicking Start> Settings> Update & Security> Activation. Make sure it says “Windows 10 on this device is activated with a digital entitlement"
>>
With W10 activated it’s time to restore your old copy of windows. For options 2&3 either boot the recovery disk to restore your system from backup or go ahead with a fresh install. Otherwise just use the 30 day "Go Back" option in W10 to recover your old copy of windows (stored in C:\Windows.old). To find it, click Start> Settings> Update & Security> Recovery, then hit the “Get started” button under Go back to Windows 7(or 8.1). Mission accomplished.

Frequently Asked Questions:

>Digital Entitlement? What is this BS? Where's my damn key?

"KEYS? Where we're going we don't need KEYS." Most versions of W10, including all free upgrade copies, don’t come with keys. A "digital entitlement" means that their servers have made a fingerprint of your PC (by recording it's hardware and motherboard serial number) and their database now shows that device "owns" a copy of Windows 10 forever. From then on every time you reinstall W10, it activates itself online automatically by checking that fingerprint against microsoft's records. So even if you used a W10 install disk to clean install your system, activating would be as simple as connecting it to the internet.

You should probably keep a copy of the key you got with your ORIGINAL windows 7/8.1 install (usually stuck to your system case anyway), because sometimes major hardware changes can cause the automatic activation to fail. In that case you would call the microsoft activation hotline and explain the situation to them. They usually correct things pretty easily, and the old key can often help with the process, which hasn't changed much since Windows 7. You might also need the old key if you decide to reinstall your original windows later on and you don't have any backups or recovery media with it pre-activated.
>>
>If I upgrade do I lose my windows 7/8.1 license?

No, you can go back and forth as much as you want, as long as you have your old installer and key (or a backup/recovery). You're not officially allowed to have both versions of windows installed at the same time, like a dual boot or VM. The downgrade rights last until 2020 for windows 7 and 2023 for windows 8, when official support ends for the OSes.

>I heard people might start having to pay a monthly subscription for W10 in the future...

Nope. At least none of the PCs people already own have to worry about that. And you still have the option to go back to your old windows until at least 2020.

>I can't make W10 install. Something always goes wrong. Is there some way to make it work?

Try running the install disk (above) instead.

>If I upgrade from windows 7/8.1 retail, is my W10 also a retail(meaning transferable) version?

No. Your copy of W10 is locked to that PC. But if you uninstall windows from that computer entirely you can transfer your old windows 7/8.1 to another PC. To get W10 retail, you have to buy W10 retail.

>How do clean reinstalls work in windows 10?

All you need is that free install disk from the microsoft site. No keys, no HP/Dell recovery partitions taking up disk space. Just run and done. No activation required (if asked for a key hit skip and it will activate automatically over the internet).

>How do I downgrade to windows 7/8.1 if my computer came with 10?

Windows 7/8.1 are available as free downgrades IF you have the pro version of W10, otherwise you’re supposed to buy a copy. You would also need to make sure your core hardware actually has drivers for that version of windows. It's a bit complicated but here's instructions:

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/downgrade-windows-10-to-windows-7-windows-81/2/
>>
>I'm staying on windows 7/8. How do I make the update notifications go away?

The easiest way is to use GWX Control Panel:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/gwx_control_panel.html
Just run it once (Monitor Mode isn't necessary). That's it.

If you would rather block the update manually through windows instead, you can download and install update 3065987 on Windows 7 or 3065988 on Windows 8. Then save-

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
"DisableOSUpgrade"=dword:00000001

-to your desktop as DisableOSUpgrade.reg and run as administrator, then save-

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\GWX]
"DisableGWX"=dword:00000001

-to your desktop as DisableGWX.reg and run as administrator.
>>
File: cautionary.png (38 KB, 665x277) Image search: [Google]
cautionary.png
38 KB, 665x277
>Should I just start using Linux instead?

Maybe! Linux definitely involves going outside your comfort zone, but it can be a very rewarding experience. Once you get the hang of it, many things like program updates and connecting peripherals can be much more convenient than under windows. And while there are certainly some programs that won’t work on linux, there are also many free ones designed specifically for it, and with some tinkering in W.I.N.E. many windows programs are supported as well. Linux has a knack for running very smoothly until some weird problem comes up, then it’s off to the forums. Luckily you don’t have to dive in all at once. You can start by running a copy within windows using VMware or Virtualbox, and if that goes well, try a dual boot. Ubuntu is one of the easier distros to use and comes with an active online community and many guides for beginners. A great way to minimize risk before shrinking windows or trying a dual boot is to do a complete system backup with Macrium Reflect or similar. And after installing linux, I recommend downloading the third party (PPA) program Timeshift as a kind of equivalent to Windows Restore, to help you undo most minor mistakes without hours of searching through forums. Good luck!

>More Links:
howtogeek.com/253901/get-windows-10-for-free-after-july-29th-with-a-little-prep-now/

zdnet.com/article/microsoft-releases-new-license-terms-for-windows-10-no-surprises/
zdnet.com/article/how-to-block-windows-10-upgrades-on-your-business-network-and-at-home-too/
http://pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7
>>
tl;dr install arch linux
>>
>And in 2020 Windows 7 will stop receiving security updates too (like that shit that went down with XP a while back),
my updates still work just fine with the posready 2009 registry hack. nevertheless, at least 8.1 isn't total botnet and can be made usable by installing classic shell, and updates for 8.1 are available until 2023.
>>
i was on a preview build of windows 10 that was activated then i had to format with a downloaded copy of windows 10 and there was no digital entitlement
>sage in all fields
>>
>>55510689
>A "digital entitlement" means that their servers have made a fingerprint of your PC (by recording it's hardware and motherboard serial number) and their database now shows that device "owns" a copy of Windows 10 forever.

the fuck? I'm not going to use this same pc forever
>>
>>55510913
You can call them up and transfer it
>>
EASY SOLUTION:
upgrade w7 to 10. make new partition. install 7 on it.
dual boot W10/7. enjoy.
>>
>>55510851
Preview build usually doesn't count as actual windows 10 from a licensing standpoint. If you reinstall 7 or 8 and follow this process, you should have the entitlement.
>>
File: 1463602390544.jpg (298 KB, 708x1000) Image search: [Google]
1463602390544.jpg
298 KB, 708x1000
Is Never10 better or worse than GWX?

I'm a boy btw.
>>
File: ughh.jpg (49 KB, 616x650) Image search: [Google]
ughh.jpg
49 KB, 616x650
>so the microsoft servers register your PC in their database

Why the fuck would I want that?
>>
>>55510996
Never10 basically does just the registry hack automatically. GWX removes the 3gb W10 install file from your hard drive and removes the updates responsible for 10
>>
Not sure if windows shill trap or valid key reg to put me on the Windows database
>>
>>55511027
Basically all PCs with windows 7 and up have your hardware and mobo recorded before it ever leaves the factory. That's how activation works. All that changes is that the record now shows you own 10 too
>>
>>55510654
>security updates
If I was more worried about security than botnet I'd choose the botnet over it.
>games
You can run win10 on a separate, isolated drive where you'd only game
>registering
I'm sure there will be pre activated windows 10 out on torrent sites, I've never paid for an OS and I'm not planning to
>windows xp
Still has updates until 2019, so windows 7 will probably get updates until 2025
>>55510969
Dual booting with Windows 10 gives it the ability to read data from your other OS, so win7+win10 == win10, there's no reason to have them both installed.
>>
>>55511170
Windows XP only has the shitty updates they make for outdated ATMs, and only if you hack your pc to imitate them. I would frickin love for Win 7 to stay remotely secure that long, but I seriously doubt that's gonna happen
>>
is it worth the poz?
>>
tl;dr

just use Daz Loader you dumb nigga.
>>
>>55510654

Just buy windows 10 and keep 7 like I did.

Botnet is non existent in Europe.
>>
File: 1467928678567.jpg (79 KB, 580x539) Image search: [Google]
1467928678567.jpg
79 KB, 580x539
>>55512522
>implying Eurocucks are safe from botnet
>lying to spies
>>
I use one of those preactivated OEM win 7s, will upgrading to win10 raise any flags?
>>
>>55512594
No, OEM is fine for upgrading
>>
>>55512522
>Just buy windows 10
If i wanted to throw $100 away I'd buy shit from /csg/ instead or give them to some poor anon that maybe will spend it on a thinkpad.

Why the fuck would you buy windows if you aren't on a corporate environment.
>>
File: 1429799609289.jpg (201 KB, 625x552) Image search: [Google]
1429799609289.jpg
201 KB, 625x552
>>55510654
>>55510676
>>55510689
>>55510704
Funny, i was planning on doing this tomorrow since i'm getting a 580 evo in the mail.
>>
>>55512549
Clearly don't know who Stefano Rodotà is
>>
>>55510654
I have a solution to get rid of windows 10 if you are sick of microshaft shoving it up your ass:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

Go download this
Run it
When you do, if you have at the bottom of your screen you see the get windows 10 icon, open task manager and look for GWX.exe. You're going to right click it and goto "Open file location"
When you do, close it in task manager. Now, you are in that folder. Go back 1 set and find the initial folder its in. Right click it and goto "Take ownership" now wait till it's finished and then right click delete. Done!

you no longer have windows 10 bullshit on your PC!
You're welcome /g/
>>
Why would I want to bother upgrading to 10 if it doesn't offer anything I can't already do in 8.1, save for DX12? I already have a MSDN key for 10 so I don't need to worry about the free period "ending" so why should I bother?
>>
>>55513826
so pajeet can afford a loo

he won't use it though so yeah don't bother
>>
>>55513617

So we should download an unsupported registry hack to let us delete a protected system file in the hopes that it doesn't A) mess up some file dependency or B) fail to prevent the upgrade since you're only targeting the GWX and not the updater or the updates that put it there. And this is better than the official method
>>55510720
for sysadmins disabling the upgrade how?

>>55513826
Good for you?
>>
Can I do this if my copy is pirated?
>>
>>55514889
It depends. Officially microsoft doesn't support it but many people have reported success. Daz seems to be doing well. You can search around /r/Piracy if you're using something else.
>>
>>55515232
It's been so long, I can't remember what I used.

It did ask me to upgrade to 10. Hopefully that's a good sign.
>>
Bump because I need to read this.
>>
>>55513617
you still have the backported botnet
>>
>>55510654
Yeah, sure, OP.
I do it and wake up on 29th to a freshly upgraded Win10 shit.
Thanks, but no thanks.
>>
I can't be bothered finding a source, but apparently you lose your W10 licence if you miss updates for six months.
>>
>>55510654
>>55510676
>>55510689
>>55510704
>>55510720
>>55510739

Instead of all this, how about...

>download Windows 10 Enterprise 64x
>download KMSpico or your activator of choice
>install the former, use the latter
>realize you just got Windows 10
>throw the PC away
>go outside
>buy a mac
>>
Why can't Microsoft just keep Windows 10 free for plebs and charge businesses for volume licensing. It probably costs them more to enforce this than not.
>>
File: 1460017503977.png (117 KB, 680x528) Image search: [Google]
1460017503977.png
117 KB, 680x528
>>55520094
>buy a mac
>>
OP: You're a fucking idiot.

1) Get Windows 10 ISO from the Microsoft Techbench (that way time isn't wasted).

2) Get 8GB USB stick or larger.

3) Get the Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool or Rufus or whatever to transfer the ISO to the USB stick, doesn't matter which tool.

4) Install Windows 10 cleanly (use a spare hard drive or image what you have now - this is NOT an upgrade).

5) When asked for the Product Key during the installation, skip it both times (or just once, it varies).

6) When the OS is fully installed, get online, go to activate it, input the Windows 7/8/8.1 Product Key at that time, voila, you're done.

7) Restore the image you made previously or deal with Windows 10 from that point on as you can clean install it on the same hardware anytime in the future and not even require a Product Key to do so.

>stupid fucking people will be the death of us all
>>
>>55520064
No you don't.
>>
>>55520196
Is it possible to change hardware and still activate with your Win 7/8 key?

I upgraded from Win 8 to 10 but I also still have a Win 7 key. I reinstalled Win 7 on a virtual machine and upgraded it to 10 so that I could potentially use that for a second Win 10 install should the need arise.

But will either of them be valid to activate 10 on different hardware?
>>
Is it possible to "reserve" win10 for installing at a later date and just keep running win7 without having to actually install windows 10? I'd rather wait to find out how bad the spying and appstore jewing is first before committing to it.
>>
>>55520308
Install it on a separate drive. And it's pretty bad, they see everything you type in clear text (meaning their keylogger goes through https) so they can see your passwords and any account info (including bank account) as long as you use the pc to access them.
>>
>>55520400
Hmmm, maybe I'll just stick with Win7 for years and maybe pirate Win10 plus whatever daz equivalent comes along at the time. Any malware probably won't be much worse than what microsoft is offering.
>>
>>55520422
If they don't release security updates for Windows 7 just install a good antivirus and a firewall. You don't need those right now but they help a lot on systems with no security.
>>
I have a 10 installed with dazloader on dual boot and I never touch it
>>
File: 1467667677387.jpg (293 KB, 960x655) Image search: [Google]
1467667677387.jpg
293 KB, 960x655
>>55520473
pc gaming is all about troubleshooting and maintenance. if ps4 had piracy i'd abandon this master race ASAP

i'll install a pirated version of w10 on a 100gb ide hard disk when a w10 exclusive i want is piratable

how about that for an answer cucks
>>
>implying microsoft won't make windows 10 update free forever
>>
File: 1464617222406.jpg (3 MB, 6024x5624) Image search: [Google]
1464617222406.jpg
3 MB, 6024x5624
>>55510654
>>
>>55510654
>Microsoft also builds a lot of security advancements into it’s newer OSes that never reach the old ones, so infection rates tend to be a lot lower.
If you mean botnet shit that sends the name of every exe you run to MS HQ, then you're correct
>>
>>55511103
>buying prebuilts
leave
>>
>>55520197
Hello MS india
>>
>>55520064
That makes no sense
>>
>>55514889
pirated 7 upgraded to 10 downgraded and got the windows is not genuine message in 7. its still giving me the option to upgrade back to 10. dunno if thats permanent or just til june 29 or whatever
>>
>>55520586
>Not buying prebuilts
You are either 12 or do not work for company it.
>>
>>55513826
>if it doesn't offer anything I can't already do in 8.1
I remembered that 90% of you assholes complained about the missing start menu in 8.1, windows 10 is a plain simple upgrade bringing it back, so stop bullshitting around, everyone and his mom bashed 8 for it's start menu, now it's cool? Fuck you.
>>
>>55520573
You can monitor your connection you complete fuckin retard.
>>
>>55520253
Yes you can change hardware, but not to an entirely different PC. The mobo is usually the important part. If you've only installed it in a VM, that might be a problem.

>>55520308
Yes, that's the whole point. Install it and revert it, then you've got your "reserved" win10.

>>55520064
The license is permanent.
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/act-now-keep-windows-10-upgrade-free-july-29/
>>
>>55510654
can this be done with a non legit 8.1?

>>55520705
I'm one of the few who like the 8.1 start menu, though I think it needs more control options - tile size, color, etc, being able to make my own live tiles and so on.
>>
>>55520094

Why do you need enterprise. You can disable everything in pro.
>>
>>55520196
You're mostly repeating what's already been stated. Certainly someone could do a clean install and then enter their 7/8 product key manually online after the fact. If they weren't trying to upgrade pirated win or volume licensing or enterprise edition it probably wouldn't matter. And having 2 versions of windows installed at the same time would probably work, although it can trip microsoft's licensing sometimes. That's beyond most people though, and the image option was already mentioned. If you aren't planning on keeping 10 just yet, a clean install is kind of pointless
>>
>>55515265
If you had the old old OLD version of daz then it will recognize and delete your w7 key and every time you try to install the upgrade it tells you your windows is invalid. I got the slightly less old version of DAZ, installed it and the upgrade went through without a hiccup.
>>
>>55510654
Download Windows 7, update to 10, keep your legit 7 copy.
No way I'm downgrading my 7 Ultimate to 10 Pro.
>>
create a vhd on your hdd, run the upgrade tool and select the vhd as the install location. it will give you a dual boot system. let the 10 install boot up and activate. that will store that your computer is licensed. then delete the vhd and edit the boot menu to delete the windows 10 entry. then you can upgrade or clean install when you want to in the future. simple as fuck.
>>
>>55522980
There is no 10 "ultimate". In windows 10 all features normally given to ultimate editions have been added to 10 PRO. They simplified, which is why a starter 7 also gets full home abilities
>>
>not having a MSDN subscription with every legal version of Windows you want
>>
>>55520705
There's no sense in upgrading to 10 for a start menu if you can get a much better one in 8.1 by installing Start8 or Classic Shell.
>>
>>55513826
>>55523267
So rather than get a legit free license you would use a revocable MSDN one?

https://forum.raymond.cc/threads/the-legality-aspects-of-using-msdn-technet-subscription-license-and-the-ugly-truth.18251/

There's a reason those ebay ones are always getting cancelled.
>>
>>55510654
Question, can't I just install it later from an original ISO without a key and it like that?

When you install a W7 and the trial to put the cd key expires, you only get a black wallpaper and a watermark, but everything else is the same and you can even use windows update. Is windows 10 different or we don't know yet?
>>
>>55523739
Windows 10 is actually LESS obtrusive with an unactivated copy than 7 was. And the linked free win10 iso will work fine for that. But if you have an activated 7 or 8 you might as well get a legit 10 license now while they're free, even if you don't plan on upgrading yet. That way windows 10 will activate automatically in the future without needing a key.
>>
Yo OP
KILL YOURSELF
>>
>>55523079
Aside from being beyond the understanding of most people, I would be concerned that even in native boot a VHD might not register the same as a normal install. Microsoft makes VHDs behave differently, like providing pre-activated images and adding a mechanism that injects a VHD with its host's activation. I wouldn't trust that to work the other way around, especially if it turns out that native boot still visualizes the mobo serial like hyper-v. You could end up installing win10 to VHD only to find that your pc itself never received the entitlement.
>>
i want my macfag and winshit hater, freedom lover /g/ back.normies and /v/ ruined this board.

http://webmshare.com/y8jgX
>>
>>55525792
Agreed. Just ignore the summerfags.
>>
>>55527423
so should I or should I not poo in loo?
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.