[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
At work we're using an ADSL2+ internet connection with an
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
At work we're using an ADSL2+ internet connection with an old Optus modem. It's still using the very outdated 802.11g protocol.

I've been thinking though, since wireless is 54mbps and our internet is supposed to peak at 20mbps(it's actually 14 on speedtest), would we benefit at all from a newer modem with 300n?

Pic related is our modem
>>
File: tumblr_n8mrtc5s5o1s5bbhwo1_500.jpg (96 KB, 500x706) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n8mrtc5s5o1s5bbhwo1_500.jpg
96 KB, 500x706
Bump
>>
>>55447063
i still use g, it's not that slow everything is fast enough for video streaming and thats all that matters.

N is faster but it requires a 5ghz band for the 300mbps, 5ghz is not good for object penetration, for example if you were to leave your building and stay connected to a 5ghz N router it would most likely drop the 5ghz and go back to G only (2.4ghz).

The new AC spec is even worse since it makes you chose one or the other, If you connect to the 5ghz side of the router you will benefit but only when you are within a few feet of it or LoS preferably.

G is by no means "outdated".
>>
>>55447196
I'm not saying its outdated, but would we see any improvements? Speed is pretty good, but this modern has been here almost half as long as I've been alive.

I'm asking more out of curiosity, I still use a 54mbps g usb stick at home because it works fine.
>>
>>55447225
Like you said, Your inet tops out at 14mbps... So no.

You might benefit if you frequently access other computers on the LAN say a file server or an ip cam, But as far as boosting internet speed it ain't gonna happen.
>>
>>55447063
Haha we both top at 14mbps and I'm in aus as well. iinet tho.
>>
>>55447063
You mean router mate, don't say modem its an outdated term. Also that Netgear is ancient and you should have replaced it ages ago. my god
>>
>>55447441
>modem is an outdated term
what are cable modems?
>should have replaced something just because it's old
consumerist nonsense.
>>
>>55447441
But it still works fine? Why replace it if it's not broken?

>>55447261
I remember going up from adsl to adsl2+, that was nice.
Now I'm not really sure what I'll need more than 14mbps though.

Was forced to use dialup again a few years ago, good God websites have gotten bloated
>>
>>55447063

BTW - the 54mbps spec is the raw rate. You'll actually get closer to 25mbit of real throughput. Same goes for other "speeds" of wireless - they are all referencing the raw rate.
>>
>>55447482
Second bit was meant for
>>55447383
>>
>>55447063

Mbs are not MBs.
>>
>>55447545
Who said they are?
>>
>>55447063
Get a proper motorola Modem and get a cheap Router.
However I'd advise you get some low end Cisco Gear( it includes the cable modem and wifi) for your office since it's a production enviroment and you need to have internet working 24/7.
>>
My Internet throughput has always improved when I upgrade my router, even when it shouldn't.
>>
>>55447576
Why?
>>
hey op im at work taking a shit browsing /g/ on my phone bludging, heres http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2047234832. im on unlimted optus 3g, u jelli ur work is poor
>>
>>55447063
If you're transferring large files from one computer on the network to another you'll benefit from a better network. If you're primarily just using the wireless router to share an internet connection, you won't notice any difference.

If you are transferring large files from computer to computer often(>1GB) look and are looking for an upgrade look in to 1Gbps ethernet or something.
>>
>>55447637
>unlimited optus 3g
Not bad. I'm on 15GB optus 4g, which is more than enough for me.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.