[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38
File: 1440282435001.jpg (289 KB, 670x400) Image search: [Google]
1440282435001.jpg
289 KB, 670x400
Previously on: >>55359044

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: http://fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man <insert command here>
https://wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
https://wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://www.gnu.org
>>
File: снимок_экрана_000.png (290 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
снимок_экрана_000.png
290 KB, 1024x768
Hello friends.
Have you yet tried the system of operation Astra Linux?
It is in my opinion as secure as armor of tank from Uralvagonzavod, precise in execution of user command like rifle from Cnitochmash and of beautiful interface to traverse which is like you ride a horse in early morning hour through a polyana or a birch tree grove.
>>
I can not create a new keyring in seahorse with gnome-keyring, nor can I edit login.
I'm using arch with i3
seahorse-Message:  DNS-SD initialization failed: Daemon not running
(seahorse:1872): Gtk-WARNING **: (gtkicontheme.c:5481):gtk_icon_theme_lookup_by_gicon_for_scale: runtime check failed: ((flags & GTK_ICON_LOOKUP_GENERIC_FALLBACK) == 0)

(seahorse:1872): Gtk-WARNING **: (gtkicontheme.c:2226):gtk_icon_theme_choose_icon_for_scale: runtime check failed: ((flags & GTK_ICON_LOOKUP_GENERIC_FALLBACK) == 0)

(seahorse:1872): Gtk-WARNING **: (gtkicontheme.c:5481):gtk_icon_theme_lookup_by_gicon_for_scale: runtime check failed: ((flags & GTK_ICON_LOOKUP_GENERIC_FALLBACK) == 0)

(seahorse:1872): Gtk-WARNING **: (gtkicontheme.c:2226):gtk_icon_theme_choose_icon_for_scale: runtime check failed: ((flags & GTK_ICON_LOOKUP_GENERIC_FALLBACK) == 0)
gpg
>>
>>55375970
Start the daemon
>>
>>55376065
that removes the error, but I still can't create a new keyring. I forgot to say, when I try to create a new keyring it says: "no such secret collection at path: /"
>>
I love the barebone-ness of Archlinux, but I don't like having so many updates to do. I'd rather not think about them.

I might go back to it again, but maybe there's another distro I should take a look at?
>>
>>55376334
Debian net install without a DE?
>>
>>55376334
Have a look at Manjaro.
It's basically Arch, the comfy version.
>>
File: gtk-filepicker.png (151 KB, 742x828) Image search: [Google]
gtk-filepicker.png
151 KB, 742x828
I'm not even trying to meme. I just don't know what I have to do with that gtk patch file.
>>
>>55376420
Still don't know what makes it more comfy
mhwd maybe?
>>
>>55376421
Drag and drop, you'll get used to it
>>
>>55376507
Easy install, prericed spins, takes care of updates which may break.
>>
>>55376420

>using a "meme" buzzword such as comfy to describe software

Kill yourself.
>>
>>55376555
>replying to a meme with a meme
>>>/b/
>>
>>55376547

>takes care of updates which may break.
Yes, by delaying them. All packages, not just the ones which "break".
I wish I was smarter and with a bigger vocabulary, so I could explain how stupid those derivative distributions are.
>>
>>55376586
It doesn't only delay them, it also provides patches for things that Arch users need to do manually.
>>
>>55376547
We have things such as antergos for that easy install

Antergos or other distros based on arch do this

Updates are delayed
They just wait till almost all problems are solved until they push all updates

Friendly reminder for the manjaro users that take this negatively that I am not hating on manjaro
>>
>>55376620
Nice memes, no sources.
>All I know about technology are /g/ memes
>>
pidgin-embeddedvideo crashes for me
openjdk version "1.8.0_92"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_92-b14)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.92-b14, mixed mode)
[1] 7109 abort (core dumped) pidgin

that 7109 is always a new number each crash.
I've installed it from the aur
>>
File: file.png (5 KB, 173x29) Image search: [Google]
file.png
5 KB, 173x29
>>55376645
I used manjaro myself
Had almost no updates besides AUR updates
then a giant wave of updates
>>
>>55376878
Don't see any problem here. What's your point?
>>
>>55376911
That manjaro delays packages without any reason
>>
>>55376940
>without any reason
oh boy
>>
I need help on my auto XDCC from irssi.

Its says
 DCC can't create file /path/to/directory/animu.mkv: Permission denied

and the permissions for it with ls -l is
drwxr-xr-x 3 nobody nogroup        40 May 23 00:22 nulog

How do I change permissions for this user without using chown? Because if I use chown transmission won't be able to download to this directory too.
>>
>>55376612
Not the guy you're responding to but I've been using arch for 2 years now and I've never had to patch anything
>>
File: 2016-05-20_19-30-38.png (462 KB, 595x448) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-20_19-30-38.png
462 KB, 595x448
Whats a good release that is gentoo light but without the complexities and time of gentoo? I normally use gentoo if I want to use linux on my thinkpad I just don't feel like taking the time to do it anymore.
>>
Is there a way to expose the bzImage of a running kernel? I'm trying to get network boot working for my cluster and I want them to be able to serve the image to child nodes.
>>
>>55377128
Assuming you manually wrote out /path/to/directory and irssi is actually trying to save it to nulog:

nulog is set as writable to the user "nobody", everyone else only has read access. Either chmod it 777 or give your user access to it with setfacl
>>
Anyone got any icon packs to recommend? Numix is good but I'd like something that makes it a little easier to tell what the icon is for.
>>
>>55377197
/path/to/directory is /nulog
>>
>>55377206
ACYL, AwOken, Ark, Vertex
>>
>>55377159
Arch

aslo
>release
>complexities
>not gnu/linux
>>
>>55377257
sorry I meant distro and not fucking arch. I said I didn't want to deal with overtly complex shit I like doing it sometimes but I am lazy as shit
>>
>>55377293
*Ubuntu
Debian stable
who knows
>>
>>55377206

Mostly complete and original sets:

>faenza icons
>adwaita icons
>cheser icons
>elementary xfce icons
>paper icons
>moka icons
>breeze icons
>luv icons
>>
>>55377159

>claims to normally use gentoo
>isn't familiar with the handful of core distributions and their philosophies

Person who lies on the internet spotted.
>>
>>55377333

There's something called net-install. Just because a package is installed, doesn't mean it's "loaded".

You're totally a long-term, authentic Gentoo user.
>>
>>55377368

You don't know what you want. All you did was mention some buzzwords like "light" and "not complex". People suggested you distributions like that and you dismissed it, because it doesn't fit your ridiculous and idiotic buzzword demands.
What you want doesn't exist. The suggested distributions, which are non-derivative, can be all that. They can be whatever you configure them to. Good luck finding your shitty, derivative niche distribution which just happens to fit your retarded demands.
>>
I have an SSH server running on my ubuntu box using certificates and whatnot.

I want to set up an sftp server and read somewhere that sftp is part of SSH or something? I tried connecting from my phone using the same port as SSH is set up on, 10100 and using my certificate but it wouldn't werk.

What do?
>>
Hi peeps
I have been using Manjaro on my laptop since 2 months now. I have been loving it, it's running greatly on a single core CPU with 3gigs of ram.

I want to go linux on my desktop but I don't really know what to use to replace my adobe software for video and image editing.

I have been trying Gimp for basic image editing, I can roll with it.
I don't really like Inkscape for vetorial edition, if someone know a good alternative, I will be thankful.
My real concern is the video editing software. Again if someone has an idea, I would be thankful again.
>>
>>55377544
sftp://
>>
>>55377552

kdenlive
>>
>>55376334
Gentoo or LFS
>>
im trying to set up a samba share on ubuntu server. i want it to broadcast the shares so that all windows pcs on the network can just click network and open them up. i went through this simple guide https://help.ubuntu.com/community/How%20to%20Create%20a%20Network%20Share%20Via%20Samba%20Via%20CLI%20(Command-line%20interface/Linux%20Terminal)%20-%20Uncomplicated,%20Simple%20and%20Brief%20Way! and it was working fine.

then i changed permissions on some stuff and i can't browse to them any more, but i can access them by typing in the ip

what are the things i need to check to be able to browse to the folders without typing in an ip? i already restored the smb.conf to default and added just the lines in that guide back but i still cant see it and get to it without typing in the path
>>
>>55377964
I have some samba shares on Debian. You just open your file explorer on Windows and browse your local network.
>>
how do i install windows 7 on a debian machine, when i select to boot from usb it just go back into debian, i've checked with another computer and the usb boots fine there
>>
I began my Linux experience with Ubuntu 14.04, and after learning a bit, switched to Arch (i686 on an older PC). I got sick of having so much power with Arch, I could never get anything done besides tweak my setup, so I decided to boot back into Ubuntu, and it's dreadful.

Unity/Nautilus are awful and I can't do ANYTHING because it's trying to protect me from myself like a fucking Windows user. I can't install a bitmap font, I can't even download fucking emacs packages without going through and editing my permissions.

I'm looking for a distro that's a happy medium: geared more towards experienced users but not so much so that I'm going to spend most of my time setting up my window manager.

I was thinking about Debian or maybe Fedora. I don't know much about OpenSUSE. What do you think /fglt/?
>>
>>55377964
i know, they don't show up in there anymore. i have to type in the network path at the top of the file explorer to get to them now
>>
>>55378040
meant to reply to >>55377990
>>
>>55377552
You can attempt to install these with WINE. I've heard Photoshop works pretty well with it, but I don't know how Premiere would work.
>>
>>55377964
>>55378040
>>55378053
i should mention that i have tried added browsable = yes in the smb.conf share options but it still doesn't work, when testpharm is ran it doesnt spit out 'browsable = yes' under the share's options
>>
>>55377564
Okay I get user/password prompt.

I think I've disabled the user/password prompt for SSH in the config file, does this affect sftp too?
>>
any gentoomen who can help me with funtoo here?

I'm at the step where I have to chroot into funtoo, and bash is complaining about the missing libncurses.so
I looked, and it is indeed not there. Now I assume I have to install libncurses, however I have no idea how to do so when I haven't even finished installing the OS and the Filesystem root is still the one of my livecd.
what the fuck do I do here?
>>
>>55378090
I will probably give it a try !
I guess it shouldn't have too many problems with the good config.
>>
Alright so I just recently switched over from Win7 to Ubuntu. Really liking things so far, not as difficult to get in to as people made it sound. The only thing that I would like to do is add a Properties bar to the bottom of the file manager like there is in Windows 7. For example the bar that shows the properties of an image, it's dimensions, date modified, created, etc..)

Is this possible?
>>
File: 1429155385389.gif (1 MB, 557x417) Image search: [Google]
1429155385389.gif
1 MB, 557x417
Even if I have my TV completely powered off (unplugged), Linux still detects it sometimes and there's an invisible 'screen' off to the side, on the Login screen, and whenever I need to use a Live CD.

Is there any way to get it to stop, without unplugging the hdmi cable every time?
>>
>>55378780

Not with Nautilus (Unity's file manager). I know that neither Thunar nor Nemo can do that. Your best bet would be Dolphin (KDE's file manager). You can install it and see for yourself.
>>
>>55378817
+1 Highly recommend Dolphin.
>>
>>55378817
>>55378863

Much appreciated. Is it pretty simple to switch Dolphin to the default file manager in Ubuntu 16.04?
>>
>>55378809
I think you can cover an hdmi pin with insulation tape to stop the auto on/off detect, though i am not sure if it'd work for this case. Google it.
>>
>>55378975
Use Unity control panel > application preferences/default apps. Something like that. You can select Dolphin as your file manager from there (provided that you have it installed.
>>
>>55378421
unpacking the tar again fixed it.
I believe I broke something when I copied the resolv.conf from the system rescue cd to funtoo linux/GNU
>>
>>55375546
Guys, serious question. How come GNU/Linux lacks waifus while Windows has many?
>>
>>55379412
we fuck real girls.
>>
>>55379423
>touching 3DPD
gross
>>
Used LiLi for a Mint persistantUSB (I want it so I can burn isos contained there for Windows and Linux onto another flash drive) but I get the "No operating system found" error, should I just create the max 4gb persistent file size, and afterwards expand it with gparted?
>>
>>55377552
for video editing lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vumR5Hcz7s
>>
(>>55379481=)
Also, using mint because of it bootable USB program that even a braidead could use without having to select a mount point for the flash drive. If there's any backport for it just tell me
>>
How do I take a screenshot with i3?
bindsym Print scrot -s

does not work
>>
File: sysadmins.jpg (102 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
sysadmins.jpg
102 KB, 1920x1080
Reminder we have two threads on /t/ - Torrents

Training videos for GNU/Linux (torrents)
>>>/t/713097
>>>/t/713097

Ported videogames (torrents)
>>>/t/707928
>>>/t/707928

Also check the list of open source games
https://ghostbin.com/paste/z74bj/raw
>>
>>55379075

When you say Unity control panel, do you mean the Unity Tweak Tool? Not seeing anything online about a control panel.
>>
>>55379626
Why is that a JPEG?

PNG would have taken less space and it would have been lossless...
>>
>>55379616
Bump
>>
>>55379956
From the i3 documentation
# Take a screenshot upon pressing $mod+x (select an area)
bindsym --release $mod+x exec --no-startup-id import /tmp/latest-screenshot.png
>>
>>55380003
Thanks
>>
How can I copy the contents of a image to the system clipboard to paste its contents in other applications?
>>
>>55380141
That should just work like you'd expect, if the other application supports images.
>>
>>55380183
See
>>55380141
>>
How do I pipe data to an audio output device?
I've got ALSA on debian
>>
>>55380232
What?
>>
>>55380141

You probably need to install a clipboard manager.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Clipboard#List_of_clipboard_managers
>>
I just noticed that all my vps instances have 1 or 2GB ram but all have an x64 OS. Is this fine?
>>
>>55380327
What one would you suggest?
>>
>>55380556

I don't use those. Just try them all until you find one you like.
>>
Recently I installed Ubuntu, dual booted with win10. I got 14.04 with Unity, so that if I ran into problems everything was pretty stock, and similar to most of the users. However it doesn't 'just work'. Simple shit like connecting a monitor over VGA or installing nodejs.

So I'm wondering what actually works with not too much maintenance and headache. I don't mind having to do initial setup but nothing too crazy.
>>
What's currently the best, feature-rich and out-of-the-box beautiful DE?

I've been already falling in love with i3, but I need something friendly for a friendly newfriend.
>>
Where is droid sans in debian testing? All I can find is the fallback version.
>>
>>55380474
shameful bump
>>
File: screenFetch-2016-07-02_17-21-16.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2016-07-02_17-21-16.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
Hello friends, what image viewer do you use, I'm looking for a minimal image viewer, such as the one found in everybodys animu screenshots. This is my current desktop, but I'm looking to spice it up a bit, so could anybody recommend a different font or something along those lines?
>>
>have to write a few essays for university
>have 0 sense of design
>watch a few LaTex yt videos
>this looks cool
>apt-get install texlive
42 fucking packages and 589 MB
lmao are they KIDDING ME right now
is there no lightweight version of this thing? even the --no-install-recommends is 130 MB
>>
>>55381379
sxiv
>>
How do I get the kde patched firefox in debian?
>>
>>55381424
Can sxiv do gifs?
>>
>>55381503
Yeah
>>
>>55381519
Webm?
>>
How do I install this?

https://github.com/ahodesuka/ahoviewer

I've only been using Linux for a few weeks and I'm using Ubuntu 15.10. Thanks in advance
>>
>>55380272
Pipe it into aplay, check the man page for supported formats. If you have a weird format use gstreamer or ffmpeg
>>
>>55382021
https://github.com/ahodesuka/ahoviewer/blob/master/README.md
+ checkinstall
>>
>>55382245
>>>/a/
>>
>>55380474
>friendly linux thread
my ass.

If my question is stupid at least call me a stupid faggot.
>>
>>55382021
libgtkmm-3.0-dev libglibmm-2.4-dev libconfig++-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev libxml2-dev libqtgstreamer-1.0-0 libqtgstreamer-1.0-0 libgstreamer-plugins-bad1.0-dev gstreamer1.0-plugins-good gstreamer1.0-libav libsecret-1-dev libgnome-keyring-dev unrar-free libzip-dev libgtkmm-2.4-dev libgegl-dev gegl freeglut3-dev libgegl-0.3-0 libegl1-mesa-dev
>>
where my /void/ niggaz at?
>>
>>55382287
Back to twitter with your lowquality niggermeme
>>
>>55382630
By the time you asked you could have learned how to use searx.me
yes it is fine
>>
>>55382860
They are void of reasons to live
>>
File: mhm2.jpg (233 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
mhm2.jpg
233 KB, 1680x1050
>>55375546

I haven't really been using Linux for couple months now, because of Widnows got all of my gaymen on it. I dont really program or any of that stuff, but I like to work with networking and such, I also love how I can customize everything. I mostly want to use Linux because of privacy and because I can be anonymous.

I used Archlinux before, but was wondering if I should give Void a shot, what do /fglt/ think?
>>
>>55376620
>We have things such as antergos for that easy install
and architect
>>
File: 1460083239083.png (214 KB, 455x356) Image search: [Google]
1460083239083.png
214 KB, 455x356
>>55383753
>antergos
installer that rebrands arch with antergos
>architect
installer

You clearly have no idea what Manjaro actually is.
>>
my system originally came with xfce4-power-manager, but over the years, development seems to be abandoned and now it's buggy as hell

what do I replace it with? it's the display management, lid events, sleep, hibernate, battery monitoring, all that stuff
>>
File: 1467483466129.gif (105 KB, 318x318) Image search: [Google]
1467483466129.gif
105 KB, 318x318
>>55383821
Things like that make me sort of motivated to make a DE from scratch with a Debian net install.
Which components should I be looking at?
>>
What is the easiest way to manage patches?
I have 4 different patches i want to patch against the kernl source.
Do i put the gits in the kernel tree and have the patches reference those folders?
>>
>>55383972
>make a DE from scratch
?
>>
>>55383821
>replace
You find a WM that suits your needs and then install the same programs you used before.
>>
>>55384267
You know, like installing i3 and moving up from there.
>>
>>55384300
no you don't get it
I've been using this Debian since the #! days. The WM is Openbox but they put xfce power manager in it for some reason
>>
>>55384582
I do get it.
Replace
the
soft
ware
>>
>>55379404
In your chroot system do
chmod 644 /etc/resolv.conf
>>
planning on installing ubuntu as the sole OS on my MBP 2011. are there any issues i am going to run into? this is strictly just for class, i'm going to running VM's on it, taking notes and maybe viewing some media occasionally.
>>
>>55384613
yes
with what software
that was the original question
replace xfce4-power-manager with _____?
>>
>>55385421
Go and find what you like.There are various lists of software, on the gentoo and arch wiki.
It depends on your needs and your hardware.
I cant go through the internet and type for you
>>
>>55385421
acpi
upower
etc.
>>
>>55385453
well I don't get you pal, I was explicitely asking for names in my first post
so what was the point in replying if you're not gonna give names

>>55385482
upower is the daemon that xfce power manager connects to, not an alternative to the frontend. acpi works like shit in linux

fucking hell you people are retards
I'm gonna ask in IRC instead
>>
>>55385565
Because:
I don't know what hardware you are using.
I don't know what features you do and do not want in a program or service.
I don't know how you want your system to be configured.

>acpi shit
You're just incapable of making it work properly, coming to a conclusion from your posts, i say from incompetence, or just pure lazyness.
>>
File: 1462480534434.jpg (309 KB, 672x505) Image search: [Google]
1462480534434.jpg
309 KB, 672x505
I'm using Debian 8 (jessie), so far I like it, but is there a way to install newer packages on it? Most of the software I've used on other distros seems to be newer.
>>
Dumb question

I have an NFS share that I mount on my desktop and laptop (everything is Fedora 23). When the file server gets shut down it totally borks the computers connected to it. I can't access my home folder, and when I try to shut down it hangs.

Is this just a problem with NFS? Is there a way to stop this apart from manually dis-mounting the NFS share on each connected system?
>>
>>55385644
Upgrade to testing my nigga. If it's still not enough, then compile it yourself. Running bleeding edge emulators is pretty neat.
>>
>>55385698
Thanks, anon. I'm upgrading as we speak.
>>
File: regex.jpg (158 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
regex.jpg
158 KB, 800x533
My REGEX isn't working like I need it, help?

There is some text

[...]"https://web.site/ds7d6a-9sd9_ada.--_/dfsf.jpg[...]"[...]

that I need to match with regex on GREP, but my regex is getting all the text in the paragraph, and not only the URLs:

grep \"https://web.site/[a-zo-9/\._-]*\.jpg origin_file > destiny_file

What am I doing wrong? How to fix, so I can get only the JPG URLs in the mess that is the entire text file?
>>
why would anyone use Manjaro over Antergos? Maybe I'm missing something
>>
Whats the best way to convert to a storage disk to a different filesystem without moving the data elsewhere

Have any of you done it?
>>
>>55386243
grep -o
>>
File: gedit-news.jpg (65 KB, 750x591) Image search: [Google]
gedit-news.jpg
65 KB, 750x591
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YVrxFmheSc
>>
>>55386327
>without moving the data elsewhere
Somebody stop this madman.
>>
>>55386359
I dont have enough free space to move around 2TB
>>
>>55386337
Thank you, anon!
>>
>>55386377
But you do...
>>
>>55386412
No I don't
>>
>>55386327
Reformat file system.
Restore files from backup.
>>
>>55386439
I didn't either. I had to delete one of my backup drives and hope that nothing happened in between. Now everything is fine.
>>
>>55386479
>>55386491
I dont want to redownload 2TB from the internet

I don't even know why I ask you people for help anymore
>>
Now here's a dumb question.

Do you guys have a motherboard while a lot of SATA ports or do you have one of those SATA expansion cards?
>>
>>55386521
You can't reformat a file system are expect the files on it to somehow survive. Try it on a USB flash drive. Format it NTFS, put some files on it, format it to ext4 and post the results.
>>
>>55386561
https://sourceforge.net/projects/fstransform/
>>
>>55386524
I have an Asrock motherboard with a bunch of sata ports.
>>
>>55386524
my mobo has 5 sata and an esata
I also bought a cheap PCI raid card that added 2 sata ports and I have 2 USB external drives
I also think I have one or 2 old IDE drives in there too
>>
>>55386439
>>55386491
>having this many standalone drives
Good lawdy how the fuck do you manage that shit?
>>
>>55386652
plex
>>
Pretend I don't trust my current install for whatever reason. Is it enough to just delete the partition when installing a new distro, or would I have to wipe the entire drive to be really safe?
>>
>>55386652
My head. It's mostly anime, mango, gaymes, music, novels, academic books, and porn. My Pictures folder is a clusterfuck.
>>
I dual boot win and xubuntu. I do want to settle on linux but i read here somewhere linux is not that great to handle ntfs. Only problem is all my torrents (3tb) is on ntfs partition in windows and it was downloaded from private tracked so I have to seed. questions is: how can i migrate linux? wait till I re-seed everything, delete them, re-format partition to ext4? or just leave it as it is ntfs? Thanks!
>>
>>55387273
You shouldn't use NTFS on linux unless you absolutely need to e.g. dual boot
>>
>>55387273

You move the torrents to the new partition (ext4) and point the torrent client you install to its location.
>>
>>55386881
I could not understand what you mean by "don't trusting your install". If you have files that you don't want to be recovered, you should shred them. If you are afraid of files coming back to life withouth external action, you don't need to worry.
>>
>>55387374
I just get a little worried when I experience bugs, because I never really know if it's a bug or something worse.
>>
>>55387305
>>55387312
Great, thanks!
>>
>>55387506
Why don't you trust your install?
>>
File: 471741.png (95 KB, 376x369) Image search: [Google]
471741.png
95 KB, 376x369
>tfw the firefox/web browsing experience is so much worse on linux compared to windows with the same hardware

Why is that? This is slowly really getting annoying. Who's the culprit for the shitty performance? Drivers' (nouveau) or Firefox's lack of hardware acceleration on Linux (X's?).
>>
>>55387619
Slowing down shitposters is built into the kernel.
>>
>>55387619

Install GNU IceCat and replace Firefox with it.

https://www.gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/
>>
Can I mount two drives to the same directory? If not, what's the best way of managing my files across all my drives?
>>
File: d5.jpg (94 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
d5.jpg
94 KB, 640x480
is there anything like ubuntu but that updates their packages regularly?
>>
>>55387929
Debian Sid?
>>
>>55387909
LVM
>>
>>55387946
is there anything stable?
>>
>>55387974
Debian Testing
>>
>>55387981
lots of pkgs seem to be several months old.

also the delay of security updates is kinda weird
>>
>>55387974
'updates regularly' means 'unstable'.
>>
>>55388063
couldn't they set something up so nothing important gets updated?
>>
>>55387825

How is that going to make it significantly more responsive?
>>
>>55388038
use sid then, it is stable enough.
>>
>>55386573
Is this safe to use? Has anyone tried it yet?
>>
>>55388110
if you enable multiprocessing and 3d accleration, it will be faster. Now git gud frogposter.
>>
>>55388088

No, because there's no clear, objective definition of "important".
Rolling release distributions work fine, without any issues. Stable, fixed release distributions works fine without any issues. You are asking for something between which has the worst of both sides without the benefits of each.
Chances are that using either of those wouldn't even affect you, but you have a weird misconception about it and you think it will somehow affect you.
>>
>>55388130

But how would the IceCat fork have those features and the upstream Firefox not?

>its main advantage is an ethical one: it is entirely free software.
>Privacy protection features
>something irrelevant to performance
>>
>>55388154
I am not the same person. IceCat is nice but not for performance.
ff has these features, you just need to enable them. And for the love of rms, use dev/aurora.
>>
>>55388121
>>55386573
|>Currently, the programs mentioned above have been tested on Linux
with the following filesystems, both as source and as target:
ext2, ext3, ext4, reiserfs, jfs, xfs.
>Do NOT use these programs with other filesystems
unless you are willing to LOSE your data.
>In particular, they do NOT (yet) support ntfs, msdos and vfat file systems.
Be wary.
>>
Why do I get 1 Mbps down on wifi? Only happens in xubuntu. I am using s Dell latitude e6230 with an Intel wireless card. Tried everything including some commands and changing to Google public DNS.
>>
I'm trying to troubleshoot my openvpn confoguration.
When I connect to my server at home though my phone's hotspot, everything works just fine, but when I try to use it on open wifi, which has a web filter that blocks literally everything besides 80 and 443, nothing resolves, but I can connect to services on my home network just fine.
My server is set to give clients dns options, and I included opendns, Google and my home dns server just to be safe.
>>
File: killall1.jpg (418 KB, 670x400) Image search: [Google]
killall1.jpg
418 KB, 670x400
>>55375546
>美女Linux
For what purpose?
>>
How long does it take you to configure the kernel? I swear I've been doing this for over four hours.
>>
ok, so i wanna move to linux, but here's the problem:
on windows, my wi-fi connection works fine, but on ubuntu, webpages load painfully slow.
i'm using a usb wi-fi adapter btw

also i haven't tried other distros, because i only have ubuntu 14 on a cd, and can't really download another one since i'm on my phone's internet (hotspot)
>>
>>55388121
Don't use it on anything you cant afford to lose
>>
>>55388131
you make a good point.

what misconceptions are you referring to?
>>
File: 1467178790979.png (581 KB, 670x400) Image search: [Google]
1467178790979.png
581 KB, 670x400
>>55388375
feeding my kernel desires
>>
How is btrfs support on Debian Jessie (stable branch)?
>>
Is there a Intel Extreme Tuning Utility equivalent for Linux? I'm trying to undervolt my skylake like I can on Windows.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-07-03_10-52-18.png (62 KB, 648x540) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-07-03_10-52-18.png
62 KB, 648x540
Trying to get rid of xfce screen tearing. Is the '-b' before 'compton' in the startup command necessary? What does it do? See highlight in pic related.
>>
I'm about to dual boot manjaro with os x, what should I expect?
>>
>>55389168
Fist off, theres a program that tells you how programs work and it's called "man".
Run it like this: man compton

Also try compton --backend glx --vsync opengl-swc
>>
File: 1465315844664.jpg (40 KB, 657x527) Image search: [Google]
1465315844664.jpg
40 KB, 657x527
Hi memers. I've finally stopped being a useless shit which means I now have a small amount of responsibility. This means the time has come to stop being a shitter using the gmail web client as it was out of the box with muh 2700 unread mails.

What sort of web clients should I use? I'm currently switching from vim to emacs (plus evil mode) and I hear emacs has great mail integration, but I'm not really sure where to start
>>
i used mint mate for some time
should i install 18th version? or is there better similar, lightweight distribution? something that would respect privacy too
>>
>>55389852

>vague buzzwords: the post
>>
>>55389852
No. Get rid of Mint. Get a real distro like Arch, Debian or Fedora.
>>
>>55389496
owncloud mail server
https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryMail
>>
>>55389496
>web clients
>>
>>55389496
If you like vim, try using mutt.
>>
What do you use to write code on your GNU/Linux?
>>
>>55390571
Keyboard, typically.
>>
>>55377552
shotcut
>>
>>55390571
input devices
>>
I've been using archlinux for over a year now, but I only started with it because of the minimalist install (that meant it was really fast for my laptop), I don't care about updates. I'd prefer to not care about them at all.

Should I stick with arch or should I try another distro?
>>
>>55390593
>>55390662
>>55390749
>friendly

>>55390571
text editor and interpretor/compiler
>>
Can you help me upgrading my linux to Windows 10?
>>
>>55390571

I repost the xkcd M-x butterfly on reddit and 4chan in certain patterns which is interpreted by a script in elisp which I use to input commands
>>
If I install Ubuntu on a hdd, and move it to a new system with no internet connection, will drivers and shit work, or will it break?
>>
File: Linux4women.jpg (152 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
Linux4women.jpg
152 KB, 480x640
I scavenged a 3ghz pentium D to turn it into a youtube/music machine, which distro could work fine there and be retard friendly enough for a 67yo guy?

I need something that can have easy custom res and/or scaling since he is almost blind
>>
>>55391068
Yes. It's like a video game m8. Simply download and update to hdd, then take it to another machine. Make sure both machines are comparable with eachother as in 32/64 bit architecture. Also if you're gonna go with Buntu, MATE is my favorite
>>
>>55390890
Call pajeets at MS
>>
>>55391229
Ayy, MATE is my favorite too, but I wanted to load it up with a bunch of other lightweight shit like e17 and jwm to try them out for my computer. It's a d2500 with hd5450 graphics, so DE matters.

MATE has been fantastic so far though
>>
>>55390862
>minimalist install
>arch
not really
you can stay with it or use an actual minimal install
>>
>>55391188
something with the GTK3 accessibility programs, but a pentium 3 is really old, why not get him some used thinkpad for 30 bucks?
distro shouldn't matter but debian stable minimal or buntu lts wouldn't take a lot of work.
>>
File: fddf.jpg (204 KB, 1000x622) Image search: [Google]
fddf.jpg
204 KB, 1000x622
I need to somehow install Windows 10, along with Xubuntu, and a shared storage partition, on a bios/mbr only laptop..

Windows needs 2 paritions, and I need another for storage, so I only have 1 partition left meaning I can't have a swap file which I do need on this old laptop

wat do? someone said gpt is possible on bios but idk how I would go about installing all this shit
>>
>>55391747
at least it doesn't come with a wm
>>
>>55391777
http://ark.intel.com/products/27513/Intel-Pentium-D-Processor-830-2M-Cache-3_00-GHz-800-MHz-FSB
>>
>>55391779
that's not xubuntu senpai
>>
>>55391779
>trying to do all that on a "old laptop"

not worth it
>>
>>55391779
use a swap file instead of a swap partition
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/swap#Swap_file
>>
>>55391417
IDK what all you're trying to do but I have downloaded shit off GitHub then transferred it via usb to a Buntu machine in my workshop not connected to the Internet. If you need to keep it lightweight, don't bloat it up
>>
File: Ricing_at_its_finest.jpg (223 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
Ricing_at_its_finest.jpg
223 KB, 1440x900
>>55375546
Is there anything comfier than to have GNU/Linux look like windows xp or 7? It's a great disguise to have so normalfags won't freak out you're using an OS that isn't windows or OS X.
>>
>>55392437
have fun explaining why is your windows strange
>>
>>55392560
Bah a little tweaking here and there to make it look exact.
>>
>>55392437

That looks fucking horrible. Just look at those inconsistencies and downright broken elements (the start button with the white border).
>>
>>55392437
fuck the normies
>>
>>55392594
Show me an image of linux ricing to look like windows done right.
>>
File: 174303-1.png (78 KB, 927x726) Image search: [Google]
174303-1.png
78 KB, 927x726
>>55392669

You can use a well done GTK and appropriate window manager themes. I don't know if there's a Qt style which looks like one of the Windowses.
>>
Asking this again:

How the hell do I use this gtk filepicker patch?!
>>
I've been using scp to transfer files between computers in my LAN. Is there something "simpler"? I don't really need the encryption scp offers, but I like its ease of use (can copy recursively and retain file attributes and permissions).
>>
>>55392882

Depending on your distribution and your use case it might be futile.

If you only want it to get an icon view for Firefox uploads, it won't work if your distribution ships the GTK3 version of Firefox.
>>
>>55392882
>>55392913
What's so great about GTK when they can't even get file picking right? Why not just use Qt instead?
>>
>>55392839

GTK theme*
>>
>>55388433
any ideas?
>>
>>55392913
damn ;_;

Thanks for helping.
>>
>>55392934
It doesn't include 1,5 GIG of useless stuff.
>>
>>55392960
GTK also has the infamous no thumbnails bug.
>>
>>55392934

>Why not just use Qt instead?
Are you going to rewrite all of the programs in Qt that you're using?
Also, the Qt file picker is even worse. Look it up on the internet. The good file dialog you're thinking of is KDE's.
>>
>>55392941

In that case you can build Firefox yourself with GTK2 instead of GTK3 and then also install the patched GTK2 (which has the icon view).

>>55392960

>not being able to distinguish Qt and KDE's Plasma desktop
>>
>>55392975
KDE has a ton of bloat, XFCE is the better DE senpai
>>
>>55392998

Look up the definition of bloat, realize that different people have different needs and then rethink what you just wrote.
>>
File: hydrogen3.jpg (766 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
hydrogen3.jpg
766 KB, 1920x1080
can someone tell me what the program that does this is called?
>>
>>55393260

Conky.
>>
>>55393308
thanks
>>
File: desktop.png (105 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
desktop.png
105 KB, 1440x900
Posting because delayed at airport.
>>
>>55393687

>widescreen
>wasting vertical space with 2 taskbars

You're either a huge idiot or Asian.
>>
I just installed Gentoo. This means I qualify for an honorary PhD in CS, right?
>>
>>55393713

No, it means you have elementary school level reading comprehension and skills.
>>
>>55393700
It's called rarely using the laptop, and prioritizing aesthetics. QTs definitely gonna notice this.
>>
>>55387619

Here's how it "works". This is on an Athlon64 X2 5600 CPU and an Nvidia GeForce 8800GT. I enabled "GPU Accelerated Windows" with no difference. For a website as simple as 4chan, this is bordering unusable territory. YouTube or those obnoxious new websites are even worse.

https://a.uguu.se/J2o0zDt1zYzG.webm

Is this normal?
>>
https://vid.me/vgEE I have the same problem as the person is this video and cant figure out how to fix it. The only solution i found was to upgrade the kernel, which i did but it didn't fix my problem. Running a dual boot of Windows 7 and Ubuntu-Mate. I'm fairly new to Linux so I'm not sure if its a simple fix that I'm not seeing or what.
>>
>>55376334
just update it when you feel like it

you can do a barebones install of many distros, including debian and ubuntu, if you'd prefer to use those
>>
>>55377128
only "nobody" is allowed to write there
if you need multiple users (but not everyone) to write to a folder, change the group and add the users to that group, then allow the group write access to the folder
if you just want anyone to write there, give other write permission
>>
File: 1467447219799.png (30 KB, 733x648) Image search: [Google]
1467447219799.png
30 KB, 733x648
>Uninstall my window manager so I can run Openbox
>Linux now opens to an empty desktop, no taskbar or icons or anything
>Run Openbox through terminal
>"a window manager is already running"

fugg
what do
>>
>>55380474
i use a 64bit os on my 512M ram vps, it's fine
>>
>>55394471
Openbox doesn't come with a panel. You right click to bring up the 'start' menu which you can customize by editing the config.
>>
>>55394471
>>55394510
Try fluxbox, its similar but it comes with a system tray dock workspaces etc. If it isn't pretty enough try enlightenment.
>>
>>55391779
either use an extended partition, or convert it to gpt
>>
File: 2016-05-17-833180.png (645 KB, 655x930) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-17-833180.png
645 KB, 655x930
How do I disable window shadows in xfce4 on xubuntu and what is the name of that program where I can see my distro logo and OS info in the terminal?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.