[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chromebook Pixel 2013
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: chromebook-pixel-640x396.jpg (50 KB, 640x396) Image search: [Google]
chromebook-pixel-640x396.jpg
50 KB, 640x396
Why shouldn't I buy a 2013 Pixel in 2016?!? Who cares about google play support when it's the most beautiful laptop ever?!?
>>
>>55387219
You can install windows on them.
>>
>congratulations Ranjeet, one poodollar has been added to your poobucks™ account!
>>
>>55387219
I got one from a friend who works at Google and honestly its pretty nice but definitely has some drawbacks. The screen, both in resolution and aspect ratio, is absolutely gorgeous. I like the screen and trackpad more than my MacBook Pro. In my opinion is suffers from more pronounced image retention than most laptops in that price range. I notice frequent image retention if I have static images displayed although they go away after a while.

The battery life is absolute shit though and its hard to find replacements if you need a new one. It also tends to run hot and if the fans come on then it gets very loud.

How much are you planning on buying it for? You may be able to find a used 2015 Pixel for a good price which seems to have addressed many of the 2013 Pixel's problems.
>>
>>55387957
looking at one for around 350, dont think i can get a 2015 for that much
>>
>>55388467
Are you in the US? $350 isn't bad but I'm pretty sure I've seen ones go for $250-300 before. I'm assuming these are used right?

Depending on how tight money is it might be worth trying to get a used i5 2015 Pixel if you can afford it. What are you planning on using it for?
>>
>>55388500
Yeah, in the US. The one I'm looking at is basically new, but yes technically used. I plan on using it for schoolwork, shitposting, and maybe netflix and shit; it'd be a secondary computer to my desktop. I would definitely get a 2015, but they're 800+ on ebay, and at that point I could pick up a macbook pro.
>>
>>55388540
Oh shit, I didn't realize the 2015 i5's were still going for that much used. I'm surprised they've only taken a $200 hit.

The biggest concerns with the 2013's are no Android app compatibility, it sounds like this isn't a concern for you, and if something gets fucked up hardware wise you're pretty much on you own.

Honestly though, it makes for a pretty fantastic shitposting machine. I'm using mine as we speak.

The 2013's are a darker color than the 2015's, which are a lighter aluminum color like the MacBook Pro. I actually find this more aesthetically pleasing but depending on how much your palms/wrist sweat and your body's pH levels you might develop ugly spotting on the palm rest. Maybe get some kind of protector if this is a problem. I think it shows more on darker aluminum vs lighter.
>>
>>55388657
As an owner of one, would you still buy one today for 350-400ish? Honestly, I feel that someone will definitely hack something together to get play store on the 2013, so I'm not awfully worried about that.
>>
>>55388702
A coupe of things make that hard for me to answer objectively. On the one hand I'm super autistic about aspect ratios and absolutely hate my MacBook's 16:10 screen so just based on that I would probably spend the money for it. I mostly use it at home so the battery life isn't much of a problem and I don't use it for anything aside from shitposting so the fans only go on when its really hot in my apartment, they are annoying though.

Linux is easy enough to run on it, although I haven't done this in over a year, and while I know this goes against everything /g/ stands for I actually like using Chrome OS. I have other computers for more serious work. If you use Chrome browser at all you will be amazed at how well it runs on the Pixel compared to other computers. Using Chrome on the Pixel blows away using Chrome on my MacBook or Windows desktop.

The biggest concern for me would be possible repairs/battery replacement if anything goes wrong and some of the image retention issues. I feel like it retains images easier/faster than my MacBook, although they aren't permanent as far as I can tell. I'm not sure if this is a problem for all Pixels of this generation or if mine is particularly susceptible. I got it used from a Goggler friend so it already had the issue and was out of warranty.

I'd say for $350 its not a bad purchase at all. The screen and overall industrial design is really nice. This might not matter to you but I think it looks way better than my MacBook and is equally well put together. Also, the speakers are great and in fact the ones on the 2013 are much better than the ones on the 2015. Like you said, I'm sure someone will find a way to get Android apps running on it eventually.
>>
>>55388830
Thanks for all the advice. How is the battery life actually? Is 4-5 hours a fair assumption? I'm kinda autistic about aspect ratios too! 16:9 makes me barf and 3:2 gives me a strong hard on
>>
>it's the most beautiful laptop ever?!?

No.
>>
>>55387219
>Who cares about <thing> when it's the most beautiful laptop ever?!?
Are you a macfag? Sounds like something a macfag would say.
>>
>>55388875
Np, glad to be of service. I use it mostly at home and while I don't live in a dungeon and always have my windows open I'm not using it with direct sunlight hitting the screen. I find the screen to be very bright and usually I only have it on 50-60% brightness. Using it with 10-20 Chrome tabs open, playing YouTube in the background with sound on at a medium level I can comfortably get 4 hours.

I just disconnected my charger and it's telling me I have 4:10 left with no music playing and 40% screen brightness. I usually find the battery estimates are pretty accurate. I don't think you will ever get more than 5-5.5 hours though. Also keep in mind I've had this for almost 2 years and someone else was using it before me so I'm sure the battery isn't in great shape.

>3:2 gives me a strong hard on
Tell me about it. I have another thread going right now about possibly retrofitting my MacBook with the 4:3 screen from an iPad Pro.

I think you could do a lot worse for $350. The screen alone makes it worth it for me.
>>
>>55388657
Why wouldn't it get android apps other than planned obsolescence?
>>
>>55389157
I'm not sure on the particulars of how Chrome OS updates work but I don't believe the kernel is updated. I know that Android support requires a newer kernel version than what the original Pixel is on. It wouldn't surprise me if Google eventually addresses this issue but the 2013 Pixel isn't currently listed as getting Android support.
>>
>>55389157
I found this explanation on the Chromium support forum.

>we have a long standing problem with platforms where random performance/functional/stability regressions creep in on older platforms. GPU/WiFi were the worse offenders iiuc. it's why we started forking the kernel trees in the first place -- once we have a stable base for a board (really the CPU/GPU/chipset combo), we don't really upgrade it.
>>
>>55388891
It looks pretty good desu. What laptop looks better?
>>
>>55387219
>Why shouldn't I buy a 2013 Pixel in 2016
because the 2015 one exists with a processor that isnt garbage and battery life that isn't laughable
>>
I was thinking of buying the 2015 one for 600€ new.
It can run android apps now right ?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.