[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/, i recently though of replacing windows with linux completely,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: GabeNewell-1024x576.jpg (86 KB, 1024x426) Image search: [Google]
GabeNewell-1024x576.jpg
86 KB, 1024x426
Hey /g/, i recently though of replacing windows with linux completely, and thought to install Arch, Is this what most people would recommend? How good is arch for someone who just wants to browse 4chan and code and shit.
>>
>>55366944
Arch is for autists, if i had to pick a distro to switch over to from windows its debian.
>>
Before you abandon Windows, set up a virtual machine, and spend some time familiarizing yourself.

This is a good site:
https://linuxjourney.com/

Also, this is a good video series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bju_FdCo42w

Just stick with Ubuntu until you know what you want. Arch is not for novices, and is hated by most linux users
>>
>>55366944
Are you saying that this linux can run on a computer without windows underneath it, at all ? As in, without a boot disk, without any drivers, and without any services ?

That sounds preposterous to me.

If it were true (and I doubt it), then companies would be selling computers without a windows. This clearly is not happening, so there must be some error in your calculations. I hope you realise that windows is more than just Office ? Its a whole system that runs the computer from start to finish, and that is a very difficult thing to acheive. A lot of people dont realise this.

Microsoft just spent $9 billion and many years to create Vista, so it does not sound reasonable that some new alternative could just snap into existence overnight like that. It would take billions of dollars and a massive effort to achieve. IBM tried, and spent a huge amount of money developing OS/2 but could never keep up with Windows. Apple tried to create their own system for years, but finally gave up recently and moved to Intel and Microsoft.

Its just not possible that a freeware like the Linux could be extended to the point where it runs the entire computer fron start to finish, without using some of the more critical parts of windows. Not possible.

I think you need to re-examine your assumptions.
>>
>>55366944
Just use Ubuntu or Fedora.
Arch isn't very special, apart that doesn't pull a lot of dependencies with every package.
Oh, and they don't ship their software with sane defaults.
>>
Get a Ubuntu Desktop derivative, just don't use the default Unity DE (I recommend Xubuntu or Kubuntu)

Arch is the best choice for really low-end PCs, but every archfag i've met is a le epin haker who think they understand the Linux Kernel just for using a few Commands for installing their OS, Gentoo is much better for an Autism distro.
>>
>>55366944
A buddy of mine, who barely even heard of Linux, took a plunge to Mint about 3 years ago, or so. He just installed it over his Vista, or whatever he was using. He asked me for help a few times, but he is super comfy now, and it just werks.

It's probably one of the friendliest distros for beginners.
>>
what is a good distro that has nvidia drivers on their repository like Arch?
>>
>>55367215
How simple would it be to replace windows with linux, i'm like completely into the idea of ditching windows, and using linux. Also, i really wanna use Arch, would i be able to burn the disk to a usb, then boot the installation from there, i'm new to this shit.
>>
>>55367145
>w
>what
>>
>>55367145
With a couple tweaks this could be an excellent pasta
>>
>>55367145
What did i just read.
>>
>>55367145
thanks for sheding light on this delicate subject.
>>
>>55367149
>Oh, and they [don't] ship their software with sane defaults.
do
>>
>>55367318
>>55367339
>>55367344
Scummerfags detected.
>>
>>55367339
this IS a pasta
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.