[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Congratulations! You just finished making an extremely useful
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: rin3.png (549 KB, 845x947) Image search: [Google]
rin3.png
549 KB, 845x947
Congratulations! You just finished making an extremely useful piece of software that you want to make open-source.

What license do you use?

Apache/MIT?
or
GPL?
>>
MIT or GPLv2 (so, most likely MIT).

GPLv3 drove a wedge in the open source community between industry developers who wanted to feed back into OSS and non-industry developers who felt that the principle of freedumb was more important than actually winning over the hearts and minds of developers. nobody calls it "copyleft" - everyone calls it "viral".

people will find excuses to use new useful libraries if the licensing permits them to use it in their project, and most industry projects are closed source. you are not going to be so influential that you'll force them to go open source; instead, you'll be contributing to building a wall between two worlds.
>>
>>55357333
BSD clause 3
>>
>You just finished making an extremely useful piece of software

The license will be proprietary. I will lock it down in my secured cloud server instance and put a paid API to access it on the internet.

Programmers should make income off their software instead of giving it away for free.
>>
>>55357333
AGPLv3
I don't want to get cucked.
>>
File: 1461329349145.png (114 KB, 311x438) Image search: [Google]
1461329349145.png
114 KB, 311x438
>>55357434
>paying for nontangible things
>>
>>55357333
nice trips. GPL because I don't want industry using my software.

You are now aware that Orin has both human and cat ears.
>>
>>55357333
GPL v3. Has all the protections of v2 and additional ones.
>>
>>55357434
GPL doesn't prevent you from monetizing the software.
>>
>>55359631
Except practically.
>>
File: YZtjOZZ.png (143 KB, 379x440) Image search: [Google]
YZtjOZZ.png
143 KB, 379x440
MIT
>>
>>55359511
Just like you pay your lawyer and financial advisor for advice you can pay my proprietary machine learning API for its inference over your data.
>>
BSD
>>
>>55357333
GPLv3+
>>
WTFPL
Because this is the only truly open source licence
>>
I keep it to myself because I'm always afraid someone will make fun of me.
>>
Probably some proprietary license. I don't think I'd gain anything out of making it free software.
>>
>>55359815
/thread
>>
>>55360740
>/threading cancer
>>
>>55357340
I had a client that did the same. Whenever I asked a question, he just answered with "yes". He did not and could not decide. I fired him. 3k dollars and I shat on it because that guys was an idiot.
>>
>>55361733
>fire
>a client
wat
>>
>>55362088
sorry my english kinda sucks.
"kicked out" fits better.
>>
>>55362314
Happens to everyone, Władysław.
>>
public domain
>>
>>55357333
everything useful has already been written though.
>>
>>55357333
Zlib because it is short... It has less clauses occurring the "don't take the creators name in vain" one
>>
MIT if it's for software developers to use
GPLv3 if it's not
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.