[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /g/, after 2 FUCKING HOURS, I finally installed arch, but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5
File: arch.png (3 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
arch.png
3 KB, 500x500
Sup /g/, after 2 FUCKING HOURS, I finally installed arch, but now, what do?
What are the basics should I install?
>>
>>55290925
>overzealous autistic fan boys
>"you'll learn how Linux REALLY works!" When it's literally just configuring a package manager and letting scripts do the rest
>offers nothing that minimal net installs already offered for other distros don't
>muh bleeding edge packages!! when you can just install directly from the upstream source in any distro
>only reason to use it is the aur, which is full of broken and unmaintained packages and isn't monitored at all, most "packages" are just a bash script to download the package and it's install script from GitHub
>aur is far worse than Open Build Service, which actually lets you package binaries and programs for multiple distros
It's not the worst distro, but there's nothing it offers that makes it worth using over any other distros and it has the worst fucking user base.
>>
>>55290925

What do you want to do?

Install a DE of your choice I suppose
>>
intense ricing for six hours, then feel euphoric about your accomplishment
>>
>>55290925
>What are the basics should I install?
Gentoo
>>
Try a wm and try to rice or give up and go back to windows/ubuntu.
Its not hard to rice wangblows if thats what you want.
>>
>>55290925
Use a different distro.

ANYTHING you can do in Arch you can do in Ubuntu.

* install latest shit from source
* use a riced out tiling wm
* play games on steam
>>
File: 1466462993798.gif (1 MB, 320x234) Image search: [Google]
1466462993798.gif
1 MB, 320x234
>>55290925
Kill yourself for installing arch. Install ubuntu instead.
>>
>>55290937
nice pasta mate
>>
>>55291569
>>55291722
b-but arch looks better!
>>
File: 5nJG0cg.gif (736 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
5nJG0cg.gif
736 KB, 1280x800
>>55291949
>>
>>55291722
in this order?
>>
>>55290925
Now install packer from the AUR and use it to install whatever you want
>>
>>55292071
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_helpers
>>
>>55290937
Fuck off, you just don't get arch linux.
>>
>>55291465
>it's not that hard to rice wangblows
but you can't change jackshit in Windows' DE
>>
>>55290925
>taking more than 20 minutes to install arch.
you know when you cant install arch with the provided install scripts.
just go and use architect to install it for you.
>>
>>55290937
>>55291569
I find that installing packages from Arch's official repos with pacman are really noticeably faster than installing from PPAs on Ubuntu.

And Arch can handle multiple desktop environments being installed better compared to Ubuntu.
>>
>>55292188
there are WM's for windows, that's about much you can customise without the help of paid software (like stuff from stardock) as far as "linux ricing" goes
>>
Good luck getting Office 2013 on there
>>
install Gentoo
>>
>>55292007
H-HOW
>>
>>55291465
>>55290952
>>55292118
Can any of you show a good guide on ricing?
>>
>>55290925
>Install Fluxbox
>launch it
>note how abysmal it looks
>pro tip: it's supposed to
>make it into the desktop you want
>you can alter every single aspect of it via editing simple text files

I'd recommend a compositor to go with it. I've never been able to get Compton to work correctly on Arch. Cairo is pretty nice though.
>>
>>55292051
Yes. You must kill yourself before installing ubuntu.
>>
>>55291569>>55291722
I used ubuntu for 4 years now, I was bored, so I installed arch
>>
Arch Linux is for plebs who think they are leet but in actuality they are novice - intermediate at best. Systemd and software anarchy. It's pretty much the same as all of the other binary distributions.
>>
There is literally nothing to do on arch but install awesome wm and jerk off to it for 10 minutes before realizing you just wasted hours upon hours of time for something as meaningless and retarded as having 30 windows open at once. Congratulations faggot
>>
>>55292955
there is a surprising lack of such guides I have found
>>
>>55290925
>I finally installed arch, but now, what do?
Use your computer
>>
>>55293791
what do you use/recommend?
>>
>>55293875
Whatever you like. I was just trolling. CRUX, Gentoo, Void ect.
>>
>>55290925
Did you literally JUST install it?
things to do:
-install a window manager or desktop -environment of your choice
-make goddamn sure you have a terminal -emulator installed
-set up your wi-fi
-install a browser
-make sure audio is good, if not install -pulseaudio and alsamixer
-make sure your user has sudoer priviledges in order to do all of this

and that's pretty much the basic stuff, the rest of it is ricing. If there's anything you need the Arch wiki is one of the most extensive linux wikis out there.
>>
>>55293822
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing
https://rizonrice.github.io/resources
>>
Why do you make this thread every month?
>>
it took you two hours to install Arch?

Arch install is literally just "partition, download stuff to partition via a one-liner shell script, reboot". Wew
>>
>>55290937
mfw I was there when this was first posted
>>
File: image.png (57 KB, 477x477) Image search: [Google]
image.png
57 KB, 477x477
>Not scumming it out like a true patrician.
>>
>>55294343
>using Arch but not being able to follow a wiki page

This is what /g/ has done with its Arch meming. . .

It used to be Arch was only for newfags who thought they were leet, but now they've even convinced the ones that know they're newfags to use it. Wew.
>>
Earlier this year I installed Antergos, basically riced out Arch for Eurofags which I downloaded because I needed an OS small enough to fit on a standard CD.

It wanted me to install a huge amount of updates every single day. It liked to not boot cleanly and required constantly maintenance. I shit canned that junk and installed a BSD for simplicity but literally any other distro you should choose (Ubuntu, DerpOS, TempleOS).
>>
>>55290925
congrats, comrade.
I recommend you to install mate DE.
>>
>>55294518
Why does everyone like this one? The bars are so thin.
>>
>>55290925
You can now fuck off of /g/ like the rest of you archniggers. You will learn nothing from Arch.
>>
Upgrade to Windows 10.
>>
>>55294457
Why would you even bother with an arch spin-off unless you literally had no time on your hands?
>>
>>55291569
But it's bloatless.
>>
>>55295456
see >>55290937
>>
>>55295473
I don't even use Arch, I'm merely pointing out what Arch could "give" that Ubuntu can't.
>>
>>55294923
what bar do you mean? title bars?
you can easily change theme just with few clicks.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.