[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Personal projects vs Open Source
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 1405726407187.jpg (1 MB, 1593x1000) Image search: [Google]
1405726407187.jpg
1 MB, 1593x1000
What makes you the most employable? Which is a greater display of programming skills?
>>
>>51473572
Probably Open Source, since it is mostly big shit
>>
what? i don't understand the comparison
>>
>>51473635
The thing is, I got sick after graduating from college and haven't been able to work. I'm looking for a job just now. I really hope the months without working aren't a handicap, I will explain what happened if asked though.

I decided that I was gonna program on my own during my free time. My last internship showed me that I can't know what I don't know and that I could be shitty as fuck and unaware of it, so I decided to engage in something in which I would get taught instead of side projects of my own.

It went very well and I learned a lot and now have a portfolio of open source contributions to a large project, but the "issue" is that now my github is unnatended for several months and the code of the few projects on it fucking sucks. I wonder how that will come across and whether I would be better off if I had done more pet projects of my own.
>>
>>51473572
>working for free
Don't work for any company that expects you to work for free in your spare time.
>>
>>51473714
Whole project of your own vs collaborating in a huge one

>>51473721
That's an interesting point of view tb h.
>>
>>51473572
Why is that a dichotomy? Do you mean personal projects vs. contributions to large, established open-source projects?

As someone who routinely is on selection committees in the IT world, I'd say they're both important. However, it's definitely not enough to make irrelevant contributions to a big-name project just to claim you've worked on it. If I think that someone's doing that, I'll just ask to see the diffs on their commits.

>>51473721
Plenty of tech companies either use the 20% time rule (Google, etc) or just pay their employees to contribute to open-source projects (Intel, Google, etc).
>>
>>51473737
The size of the project has nothing to do with it being FOSS...
>>
>>51473718
Just lie and say your were backpacking around europe
>>
>>51473763
>Why is that a dichotomy? Do you mean personal projects vs. contributions to large, established open-source projects?

well i mean you can either invest your time in one or the other

read this man i'd appreciate your advice
>>51473718
>>
>>51473788
kek. what if they ask for details though? i think that besides being the truth getting sick is a good excuse, i mean its literally as good of an excuse as it gets because its absolutely not my fault
>>
>>51473784
yeah you are right. i am collaborating with a huge one though
>>
>>51473801
>>51473718
Honestly explain what happened and what you've done. Personally, I'd be impressed by your will to self-improvement. If you're motivated enough to teach yourself a lot of useful stuff, that's a good sign about your potential as an employee.

>It went very well and I learned a lot and now have a portfolio of open source contributions to a large project, but the "issue" is that now my github is unnatended for several months and the code of the few projects on it fucking sucks.
If you're embarrassed by a repo on your Github account, pay them the $6/month or whatever it is and make it private, or if you really don't care about it just delete it. If you're worried about an absence of your own repos or something, know that no reasonable person would hold that against you if your contributions to this large project are suitably impressive. That said, more good examples of your programming ability are always helpful.
>>
>>51473888
>if your contributions to this large project are suitably impressive

To be honest I'm not so sure anymore. I'm not exactly overhauling anything but you couldn't claim that I'm a bullshitter spamming 1 line commits, either. I do basic things that you need a basic grasp of the project's architecture in order to do, and did 5 pull requests so far.
>>
>>51473980
You're probably fine. By "suitably impressive" I meant basically anything that's not totally trivial, since too many people try to pass off bullshit 1-line commits as actual contributions.
>>
>>51474019
thanks a lot man
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.