[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Long-lasting tech
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: R-13581-1334520586.jpeg.jpg (57 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
R-13581-1334520586.jpeg.jpg
57 KB, 500x500
I recently found a 2005 receipt for the computer my father's still using, so I'd been thinking - what piece of tech has /g/ been using the longest?

Obligatory specs:

>AMD Athlon 64 x2 4800+ 2.4GHz 2MB 'Toledo'
>(4x) OCZ EB Platinum Edition 1GB PC4000 500MHz 184pin
>(2x) XFX GeForce 7800GTX 512 XXX Edition 512MB
>ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe s939
>Western Digital WD740 74GB 10000rpm 8MB SATA
>Western Digital WD4000YR 400GB 7200rpm 16MB SATA
>Seasonic S12-600 600W
>Antec P180 Mid-tower
>Noctua NH-U 12
>Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW 24" 12ms DVI

pic semirelated, 00s breakbeat
>>
>>51430557
Thinkpad R51 with IDE SSD. It werks! It's my only backup pc.
>>
>>51430557
20" 1680x1050 Acer monitor from 2007. It has horrible colours and viewing angles but it works so I cannot be bothered.
>>
>>51430557
I use some old things. As I am young most of them I did not own when new.

As for computers, I hav a calculator that I bought and have used since 2010. Not too long, but considering that it was a cheap calcualtor, and that I have carried it in my pocket nearly every single day, everywhere I have gone, of those five years it is pretty good. To stress this, I once, without thinking went kayaking with it in my pocket--that is just where it belongs.
(that day it ended up getting soaked and I had to take it all apart and dry it out).

My laptop I got when it was used, from 2007. I was looking at buying an older one actually, more recently. It is in pretty good shape, the screen has a single bad pixel in a lower corner.

At home I have a bicycle which uses an old steel fram from when I do not know. I bought frame from a used bike part shop, it looked to have been in a fire but was solid, althouhg it looks to be possibly from the late 1960's.

I have a binder that I use for school, that was made during WWII. It uses no steel and advertises that rather clearly.
>>
most of my stuff is used but I haven't had it for mostly under a year
>>
Still using a couple parts from the PC I built in 2005 - the case (Antec P180) and the DVD writer.

Also been using an Enermax 600w PSU for over 8 years. The original one from the 2005 build blew up as did its replacement in 2006. This one is from 2007 or so.

Still got a 640GB drive from about 2006 in my spare PC.
>>
>>51430557
>pentium 4 3ghz 1mb
>2gb ddr ram
>nvidia gts7600

my dad used this for a multimedia , and torrent/fileserver until like a week ago and now has a C2D e5200 with 2 gb ddr2 and the same gpu
>>
>>51436136
also he has some electrical engineering calculator that he still uses as his main calc from 1980, i use a toshiba satellite 650d from 2007 that i got a year ago as a faulty laptop (only the hdd was broken so i swapped that and used it ) and many more random shits like 7 year old keyboard or mouse or speakers , and pc cases from the p4 era
>>
Lenovo tower with Pentium E5700 DUAL CORE
4GB RAM
GTS 450
Used to be my gaming rig when I was a teen
>>
Goodness gracious /g/ is horny for old tech isn't it.

I browse 10 other boards and don't see a nostalgia thread for the topic but once a week or so. The one place where you'd expect everyone to care about new stuff, is where they only focus on old luddite shit.

There's like 3 nostalgia threads per day now. Split the board into /g/ and /lg/ - luddite /g/.
>>
>>51436647
Top of the line CRTs still have the best colors. A better split would be /g/ - Techloli/g/y and /v/ - Consumerism and Reddit.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.