[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What music player do you use /g/? I usually use cmus but i've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: note.png (5 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
note.png
5 KB, 512x512
What music player do you use /g/? I usually use cmus but i've recently discovered youtube-dl to get the audio from youtube videos. Problem is they download into .m4a format. Which cmus doesn't recognize and it seems like a pain to convert all of them to .mp3 on ubuntu15.10. any suggestions.
>>
>man youtube-dl
youtube-dl can download in mp3. I think the flag is --format mp3.
>>
>>51429461
Cross-encoding is not recommended, since it destroys the audio. The files are .m4a (AAC) because the videos they're ripped from are .mp4. Youtube also has webm, which uses vorbis. You could force youtube-dl to download that format instead to avoid reencoding.

For no generation loss (vorbis only):
$ youtube-dl <url> -x -f webm
$ cmus <file>.ogg

For generation loss (but with whatever format you want):
$ youtube <url> -x -f bestaudio --format mp3
$ cmus <file>.mp3

The cmus issue with AAC seems to be caused by a bug, by the way. Try updating it or install the git version.
>>
>>51431569
--format

should be
--audio-format
>>
>>51429461
You can download .m4a from YouTube directly from Firefox with flashget
>>
>>51431569
.ogg VS .m4a
What to choose?
>>
>>51429461
I use Clementine. I'd use cmus if I had a tiling window manager but since I'm on Openbox it just doesn't seem like it would mesh well. I might give it a shot anyway, though, just to see.
>>
>>51432109
Clementine is like foobar but already customized (at least how I had it, minus the SACD support), I'm loving it.
>>
Foobar2000.

The bigger my library grew the more and more I realized simple media library view (facets) and playlist+tabs was the best UI for it too, fuck the redundant ricing stopping me from being effective with huge library.
>>
>>51432002
m4a
>>
>>51432141
Clementine is Amarok 2.0, right? That player was god-tier.
>>
Musicbee
>>
File: 1447406884958.jpg (44 KB, 598x608) Image search: [Google]
1447406884958.jpg
44 KB, 598x608
Steam Music
>>
Ncmpcpp and winamp. Fite me
>>
File: yt.png (124 KB, 1209x750) Image search: [Google]
yt.png
124 KB, 1209x750
youtube
>>
>>51432220
It's a reimagining of Amarok 1. 2 is when Amarok went to shit.
>>
>>51432828
Oh, right. Amarok 2 was for KDE 3, and 1.5 for KDE 2. Forgot about that.
>>
>>51432852
>KDE 3
Or KDE 4 even.
>>
Vlc
>>
ncmpcpp
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.