[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How easy is it to build a computer? I'm building my first
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_20160615_195855.jpg (59 KB, 680x284) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160615_195855.jpg
59 KB, 680x284
How easy is it to build a computer? I'm building my first one on Tuesday. I've watched about 10-15 different videos on it so far and I understand where all the parts go but I don't understand where the cables go and I'm stressing already. Will it be easier than I think it's going to be?
>>
>>55277059
You'll never do it, it's impossible
>>
File: 1466715830243.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1466715830243.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
alot easier than you'd think, the cables only fit in one slot in one way

you have a little 4 pin cable for the CPU power, a big 24 pin cable for the motherboard main power, sata power cables are pretty easy to identify as to where they go, and sata cables only fit in sata slots on the motherboard and the storage drives

most of its labeled, there will be a little name for each slot on the motherboard, and only one cable from the power supply will fit it

case fan and cpu fan pins are easy to identify, and they have a guide so you cant plug them in the wrong way

the difficult part of it might be figuring out how to get your case panel connectors to work correctly, for modern cases every connection is labled, and it will be really easy, for older cases the whole thing might be a single block connector and you will have to follow the wires from the power button, led's, etc to get them to connect right
>>
>>55277117
Thanks. I have a corsair r100 and I was looking at it today and noticed a lot of really small cable heads that go from the front mic/headphone and usb front plate and it looked like a hassle. Nice build btw
>>
Cables are pretty easy as long as your components are compatible, check with pcpartpicker or r/buildapc on reddit.
>>
I'm like double digit IQ retarded and I can build computers with no problems. The manual that comes with your motherboard should explain a lot about where all the cables go. Just make sure everything is tightly plugged in and don't panic if your computer doesn't turn on or post the first time.
>>
>>55277177
nah theyre all labeled, and the motherboard will tell you exactly where they go

and thanks, its a 2004 thinkcenter i replaced the guts in, went from a pentium 4 and 2gb of ddr2 to a pentium g, 8gb of ddr3 and a gt430
>>
also, dont go for clean cables on your first setup, just make sure everything is plugged in correctly and it works before you go tucking cables away and tying them down

its a bitch to have to undo 20 minutes of cable management when you find you made a few small mistakes and have to rewire it all again

the only things you should care about for cable management at first, are that no cables are touching any PCB's and theyre not wedged in any fans
>>
>>55277059
>Build
Unless you plan to make yourown motherboard the correct term is "assemble" OP, and no. It's not that hard. The only thing you have to worry about is cable management, and whether or not the manufacturer fucked something up. Most commonfags make it seem like you need to be a master enginneer but if you've ever fucked around with building blocks then all you need is a video tutorial, a steady hand, and a magnetized screwdriver. (Preferably.)
>>
>>55277720
you have autism
>>
>>55277059
you should be fine bruh, but if all else fails take your parts to a computer shop and they'll get you up and running for around fifty bucks, so you'll still come out ahead over buying a prebuilt
>>
My first build I was 16 and had no clue what the fuck I was doing and it took me like five hours of trial and error to get it up and running. This was also like 14 years ago when the internet wasn't loaded with guides and videos on how to build and manuals didn't come with illustrations on where to put cables at. Motherboards also didn't come with the grounding and short circuit protection shit they do now.

You'll be fine. Just watch some videos and use common sense. Unless you physically break something through being retarded it's pretty hard to fuck up putting a computer together.
>>
I built my first computer in middle school. My family needed a new computer and I convinced them that letting me build one would be cheaper than buying a pre built. I didn't know much about computers and looking back at it, I made fucking awful part selection. I used a WD green for the hard drive. No wonder it was so fucking slow. But yeah, you'll be good as long as you keep your manuals around if you get confused and there's always the internet. It's not quite as easy as Legos like some people say, but its far from rocket science too.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.