[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Genelec Monitors
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_20151119_182049.jpg (2 MB, 3120x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151119_182049.jpg
2 MB, 3120x4160
Hey /g/ just got 2 Genelec 4040 speakers, got them from a friend for about 750~ dollars, they are brand new.
what do you guys think of genelec? these were fucking expensive but are they worth it?
>>
>>51422087
>Genelec 4040
Looks like the 8040 with a different mounting. If that is the case, a good price for the Genelecs. Genelec is one of the better/best audio companies.
But do you like them, that is the important thing.
>>
File: IMG_3889-1.jpg (2 MB, 2449x1633) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3889-1.jpg
2 MB, 2449x1633
I like the smaller genelecs (8250 and 8020 in this case) a lot because they're perfect for mobile use with the built-in speaker grilles, carrying bags, mic stand threads on the bottom and glm measuring system and whatnot
but in direct comparison with other speakers in the same price ranges it's always noticeable how they really depend on the glm, with no correction their general timbre is a tad harsh. the new 83xx series is lots of fun and their tweeter design seems to be tweaked. I'm looking forward to testing the 8351 for an extended period
genelec wall mounted main monitors designs are pretty old now, but still amazing.
>>
>>51422087
Excellent monitors and loudspeakers. Expensive yes but the performance is generally fantastic and they are easy to position and use. I have the M040s myself.
>>
>>51422220
The 4040 is an installation model, the main difference between 8040 and 4040 is that it uses phenix instead of XLR
>>
I had the 8040, sold due to shit apartment acoustics. Would buy again. Get a nice source and a passive volume limiter if you need one.
>>
>>51422087
As far as sound quality goes, they're excellent, but as far as frequency response goes, they're more colored than other monitors at that price range like neumann.

I'd still love to own a pair though.
>>
nice shelf, what is it?
>>
>>51422087
>>51422299
>>51422220
so what's the deal with small expensive studio monitors? Some say they only cover a frequency response from 60-20khz. My cheap ones even go to 38hz which is alot lower.
>>
>>51422087
>these were fucking expensive but are they worth it?
Genelecs are more high end studio gear than something you'd find in an audiophile's place. I would buy a pair if I had the dosh, probably.

Supposedly Behringer makes a set of monitors that measures very similarly to Genelecs though.
>>
>>51423519

Behringer makes low quality imitations that migth break or change their sound signature over time.
>>
>>51423519
yeah, they make a not too bad copy of the 1031 design

>>51423514
the quality, obviously. sound-wise on the one side, built quality on the other side.
every egg-shaped genelec or other speakers in that range like kh120 with the built in speaker grilles and metal enclosures are robust enough to be lugged around all day, I wouldn't want do that with krks or similar
>>
>>51423514
They cover that spectrum accurately on and off axis and they are really well built. Professional gear really, not the best bang for your buck but very good products.
>>
>>51423514
Nicer construction of course, less likely to fall apart. The cabinets have more bracing and damping material used inside.
The frequency balance tolerances are tightened some(hopefully), larger and more substantial amplifiers used.

As >>51423681 said, this is serious gear, but not necessarily bang for buck as might be found closer to the entry level.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.