[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
China Claims World’s Most Powerful Supercomputer 7th Year In
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 4
File: sunway.jpg (42 KB, 708x387) Image search: [Google]
sunway.jpg
42 KB, 708x387
China Claims World’s Most Powerful Supercomputer 7th Year In A Row

China has been named the home of the fastest supercomputer for the 7th year in a row.

But for the first time, and what makes this year’s choice unique, is the fact that this year’s winning computer has won using only Chinese designed processors.

The computer based in the National Supercomputing Center in Wuxi, and named Sunway TaihuLight was designed and developed by the Chinese National Research Center of Parallel Computer Engineering & Technology.

With an ability to process 93 petaflops that also makes it just about three times faster than the previous record setter, the Tianhe-2, also Chinese, which was clocked at being able to process 33.85 petaflops.

The TaihuLight can perform approximately a quadrillion calculations a second, which is much faster than the Tianhe-2, built with US designed processors can achieve. In theory, the TaihuLight could achieve peak a peak performance of 124 petaflops.

That China has been trying to develop a 100 petaflop system (or close enough for it not to really matter) isn’t exactly new, well, news, but it was widely anticipated that the Chinese would use US based Intel company chips to reach the fabled 100 petaflop barrier.
>>
Bad move on the part of the US

However, the US banned Intel from shipping the Xeon chips to Chinese super computer manufacturers last year because they claimed that last year’s winner, the Tianhe-2 was being used for predictive simulations to do with nuclear explosive experiments.

The irony of the embargo is that China just went ahead and upped its own processor development.

As well as claiming the top spot for the world’s most powerful supercomputer for yet another year, 2016 also marks the first year that China has surpassed the US for the first time as being the country with highest number of the world’s most powerful supercomputers, albeit only just. The US has 165, China has 167.

Other countries to make the top 10 included Japan, Germany, Switzerland, and Saudi Arabia.
>>
How is it a race when America is talking about the distant future, while China is doing it RIGHT now?

The US ban has merely delayed China by a mere matter of months, and instead of one exascale with US tech, as China's upgrades would have ben this year, 2016 will use not just one domestically designed product, but likely a different one for each project, in addition to Chinese designed technology and advancements.

If anything, the US's schizophrenic, paranoid foreign policies have just helped speed up Chinese advanced tech development and adoption, and caused the US lose quite a contract and gain competitors.
>>
Oh look, its that Chinese poster again.

Go eat a dog with piss boiled eggs.
>>
Well the Chinese children go to school 7 days a week so.

Including homework, yes. Chinese always have endless homework to do.

Smarter than you are.
>>
>>55268295
americunt is mad :^)
>>
China owns the US.

The US is owned by China.
>>
good for China... i hoping to see some great advances in medical and tech fields in the coming years...
>>
>>55268275
This is great news. Should mean the market is more competitive now.
>>
Can it play Cyrsis 1?
>>
>>55268284
>us bans intel from giving china chips
that's so fucking retarded. how come this wasn't all over the news? was I on vacation?
>they just use a chinese manufacturer and business proceeds
ha
>>
>>55268355
Kek, buttpaine much
>>
>>55268275
That's actually very good for computing enthusiasts.

American ban on export of intel products to china sped up the Chinese semiconductor research.

And since the Chinese have variety of open/free RISC architectures like Power8/9/+ and RISC-V to choose from there's a hope we'll get both fine and most importantly CHEAP chips absolutely free of the NSA's x86 shitware.

Ding dong wong, chinaman needs to step up.
>>
>>55268411
>And since the Chinese have variety of open/free RISC architectures like Power8/9/+ and RISC-V to choose from there's a hope we'll get both fine and most importantly CHEAP chips absolutely free of the NSA's x86 shitware.

0 software support
>>
>>55268419
It can run most of the stuff I run daily and my OS of choice has proper support for power8.

Oh right
>muh gayme
I completely forgot about you guys.
>>
>>55268446
https://www.raptorengineering.com/TALOS/prerelease_info.php

put your money where your mouth is
>>
>>55268466
>$1000+ for a low end board.
Yeah, that's exactly what I meant by saying "it's a good thing".

IBM is the only one chugging out power8 chips, the market is niche and the costs are huge
>>
Knowing how the Chinese have a tendency to exaggerate or embellish things like national economic growth, fisheries output, pollution levels, radar observability of their "stealth" planes, etc. it's a good idea to always be a bit suspicious of any major claims that they make.

The Tianhe-2A, i.e last machine they had that was the supposed #1 on the supercomputer top 500, was operated and run by the Chinese army which meant that not only was it impossible for foreigners to verify the performance claims, it was also very difficult to get ahold of anyone who had done any work using those machines. Now if they made the new one available to foreigners the same way that most western supercomputers are, I know people who have run jobs on the Titan at Oak Ridge, but I don't see that really happening.
>>
>US bans intel chips in china
>china just rebrands the chips coming out of the china factory
>we did it guys!
>>
>>55268275
So can they finally run chrome with more than 3 tabs open?
>>
>>55268466
1 POWER8 SCM
8, 10, and 12 core variants available (190W TDP)
8 and 10 core variants also available in 130W TDP versions

literally a fucking shitty ibm housefire
>>
>>55268489
>IBM is the only one chugging out power8 chips, the market is niche and the costs are huge

x86 is cheaper, more efficient and more powerful.
>>
>>55268303
how does homework raise your intellect please tell me
>>
>>55268765
study hard make brain more intellectful
>>
>>55268765
Instead of just sitting in school and ignoring the teacher, for doing homework you actually have to understand what you learned and it helps to deepen the knowledge.
>>
>>55268753
Lol no.
For HPC and real computer work, POWER is more cost effective per core and more energy efficient.
>>
>>55268795
http://www.green500.org/lists/green201511

Nowhere to be seen in the top 10.
>>
>They think this is a race.

Most custom computational facilities are made to order. Particle physics, medical, weather systems, NSA etc. All of this costs money. Why waste money just to have the biggest epeen?
>>
>>55268275
I was expecting the winner to be Japan or USA but CHINA!1111
Imma buy me a Thinkpad ASAP because the china men know how to make computers.
>>
>>55268753
>x86 is cheaper
Are you fucking retarded?
Read my post again. I hope it will change soon.

>more efficient and more powerful.
at being a botnet for sure
>>
>>55268838
They have the most powerful supercomputer.
>>
>>55268284
>>55268292
Holy Guacamolee how does the US cheat on a race like this and still gets rekt by China.
Here is how it went...
US: FUck you chink, I ain't giving you our best CPUs
China: Fine. We make our own CPU.

Outcome: US gets rekt by China
>>
>>55268966
And x86 will remain so, OpenPOWER is dead before it's even really started.

IBM should have done this 10 years ago to stave x86-64 of air before it became dominant.
>>
>>55268992
If you look at the structure of the things we're talking something pretty similar to a GPU. In theoretical terms GPUs have been faster than CPUs for a long while, but the problem is that a lot of supercomputing applications simply don't run that well on GPUs due to how they're built. Lots of branching wreaks absolute havoc on GPUs while on CPUs it's much less of an issue. This is the reason why most western supercomputers have GPU clusters pretty much bolted onto the side of the main CPU cluster, not the other way around.

So China (probably) just made the cluster with the biggest theoretical throughput in the world, but probably won't be getting the highest actual compute throughput in real applications.
>>
>>55268275
Look ma, I posted it again!
>>
>>55268366
>that's so fucking retarded. how come this wasn't all over the news? was I on vacation?

Why the fuck would that be news worthy. It's the kind of politics that happens on the daily. What should be concerning you is teh fact that ISIS is funded entirely by Saudi money.
>>
File: 1466338812785238402983.jpg (11 KB, 392x243) Image search: [Google]
1466338812785238402983.jpg
11 KB, 392x243
>>55269025
>chinese just fucking stepped up the game with domestic production of RISC chips
>completely outjewed the american leltel
>hurr x86 will rule forever because I said so

Kek sure x86 will still reign for a bit.
But since x86 is a monopoly with noone but leltel and ayymd allowed to manufacture it, not for long.
>>
>>55268788
maybe you should've studied harder then
>>
>>55268411
Id rather be spied on by the NSA than the fucking commies that kill their own people for protesting and speaking up.

If you fear the NSA, than the Chinese are literally your worst nightmare. The Orwellian future that you fear so much is a reality in China.
>>
>>55269170
nice try nsa
>>
>>55269195
Shit. Is it that obvious?
>>
>>55268765
because it gives you the sense of responsibility.
>>
>>55268795
as far as i read, the CPUs of that "supercomputer" are "inspired" on DEC's Alpha architecture.
>>
>>55268765
If your mind is a cup and knowledge is water. You can only fill the cup at a limited speed therefore filling the cup for longer and more often is the quickest way to obtaining a full cup.

Until we find a way to rapidly insert or download large amounts of data into brains that's how we'll have to do it.
>>
Why haven't we cured cancer or some other problem which can be solved through computation alone? These machines are literally super computers
>>
>>55269353
they're not as powerful as the human mind, anon...
>>
>>55269353
Folding proteins is hard
>>
>>55268676
Not from Intel factory. In fact, the ones in china can't fabricate structure beyond 65nm

The best intel fab is in Israel.
>>
I trust unverifiable PR announcements from the government of China implicitly.
>>
>>55269894
No, actually there best fab is D1X in Hillsboro, Oregon. It is the first 10nm fab. The best design team is in Israel though.
>>
>>55268466
I can't fucking wait to get one
>>
>>55269914
top500 is a standardized test.
>>
>>55269914
>Amerifats so fucking triggered about China beating the fuck out of them they don't trust the top500 to provide accurate data
Keep that head in the ground, maybe when you look up again America will be #1.
>>
>>55268275
but can it run crysis ?
>>
>>55268275
Yes but can it run Crysis?
>>
>>55269917
Ah yes. I've been there couple times. Apparently they wanted to move older equipments to either Vietnam or Malaysia.

Mind that this "older" equipment could still fabricate device under 20nm, so it's still pretty advanced to any asian countries bar Japan (and China)
>>
>>55268411
>absolutely free of the NSA's x86 shitware.
Replaced with Uncle Lao's own backdoor with direct connection to the communist party. Yay!

Retard.
>>
>>55271558
As an American, chinese backdoor >>>>>>>>> American backdoor
>>
>>55271589
Are you a certifiable moron?
>>
>>55271622
Of course not. Tell me anon, what the fuck is some foreign government with no authority over me going to do with my data and how is it worse than a government that can use my data to incriminate me having access to it?
>>
>>55268311
>The irony of the embargo is that China just went ahead and upped its own processor development.

Top kek nevermind they copied another chip, where's the development there?
>>
>>55271558
>>55271622

Kek being patriotically-assblasted like the sheep you are.

Which government would likely gonna stomp your door for some torrented movies and cheese pizzas? Not the chinks
>>
>>55271762
>implying you shouldn't be raped continuously in prison for wanting to watch someone rape a child.
>>
File: 8759132035_ac16a4c70f.jpg (41 KB, 494x358) Image search: [Google]
8759132035_ac16a4c70f.jpg
41 KB, 494x358
>>55271855
>>
File: 1457319061229.jpg (772 KB, 1080x1440) Image search: [Google]
1457319061229.jpg
772 KB, 1080x1440
>>55268275
Can't wait for those Chinese CPU's.
>>
>>55272010
MAKI
>>
>>55271762
You are retarded, patriotism has nothing to do with that. Being spied on by another government doesn't somehow makes being spied on good.
>>55271663
>what the fuck is some foreign government with no authority over me going to do with my data
Sell it to your own government?
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.