[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Modern Dumb Phones
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 19
File: sessy brick.jpg (67 KB, 615x576) Image search: [Google]
sessy brick.jpg
67 KB, 615x576
What does /g/ think about the idea of modern dumb phones?

This punkt phone is the only one that I've really found any info on; does anyone else know of any other phones like this?
>>
How did you become brain damaged? Honest question. Was it a car crash, use of drugs, what?
>>
I don't see the appeal. There are smartphones with very good battery life, especially if you use them exactly how you'd use a dumbphone. Some people cite privacy concerns but I haven't been under the illusion of having privacy with my cell phone for far longer than 10 years. I'm carrying a microphone and radio transmitter in my pocket either way.

You could conceivably use lots of old phones on a modern GSM network as long as you can fit your SIM into them. They make micro-to-full adapters for next to nothing. Might as well get an old phone, a new chink battery and go to town.
>>
>>55261272
Do you really have so little self control that you need to buy a $300 dumb phone to stop you from playing mobile games ?
>>
>>55261272
Its for old people, OP.

are you an old person
>>
you can still be tracked and listened in on so what's the point. just go phoneless
>>
For the record, I don't actually own one of these. I'm fully aware that paying nearly $300 for one is practically fucking pants on head retarded.
>>
>>55261381
>I was just pretending to be retarded
>>
>>55261395
-implying I ever claimed to own one
>>
>>55261308

dumbphones tend to be indestructible, are smaller, can last two weeks on one charge, and have low cost, such as $20 to purchase, with total yearly cost of $150 for calls only

but if you want to pay more, feel free
>>
>>55261328
There are dozens of clones on the market as cheap as $20. Aliexpress and Aamazon alike both stock them.
>>
What gave you the idea that this was the right board to talk about technology? This is /g/ - consumer whoring. Only nigger culture and apple devices are allowed on this board.
>>
>>55261272
You can literally get smartphones for free now.
There's no reason to get a dumbphone, other than battery life of course. you're really better off getting a free smartphone, not installyng any apps and buying one of those portable battery packs that you connect through micro USB.
>>
>>55261455
Anecdote time.

>indestructable
For all I know that's true of every smartphone I've ever owned. Either that or I'm good at not breaking things.

>smaller
This is the same trap as laptops getting thinner. Size is not a universal measure of how good something is. If a phone is smaller than another which itself is already comfortably small, the extra reduction in size means nothing. It might even take away from comfort of use.

>low cost, such as $20 to purchase
That certainly is true of what I said to OP regarding buying an older dumbphone. What I don't understand are modern dumbphones. They're generally more expensive than $20 and the shitty burners at the $20 are awful as phones. Trust me officer, I use them now and again.

>with total yearly cost of $150 for calls only
Actually I use a PAYG plan for my smartphone and it's $100/year. So I guess I've taken the opportunity to pay less, not more. Thanks.
>>
tfw no nokia 515
>>
>>55261455
>>55261671
>point about total yearly cost
You guys do realize that you can use the same plans with smart and dumb phones, don't you?

>>55261671
>If a phone is smaller than another which itself is already comfortably small, the extra reduction in size means nothing. It might even take away from comfort of use.
You aren't going to be taking away comfort of use no matter how small you realistically make it if you just use it for calling. Also the extra reduction in size means you can easily store more shit in the same pocket as your phone.
>>
>>55262790
>You guys do realize
It's exactly what I was talking about, so yes.

>You aren't going to be taking away comfort
Thank goodness the word "might" accommodates differences in opinion.

You added almost nothing by replying except a thought about stuffing your pockets. Thanks, Cargo Steve.
>>
Wow that looks kinda nifty. Any other modern dunb-phones?
>>
>>55261308
There are smart phones that have a 2 week battery life? That's how long my dumb phones used to last.
>>
>>55261272
>dumb phone
>300 fucking dollarydoos

you could buy 30 tracfones for the price of this stupid fucking thing. are you retarded?
no amount of money spent on a dumbphone is going to make anybody on earth go "oh cool dumbphone", and all dumbphones are going to function virtually the same. the only reason anyone would spend $300 USD on a dumbphone is to prove how fucking stupid they are.

go to target, buy a flip phone that works on your carrier, get on with your paranoid stupid jackass life.
>>
Back doored so p shit. Old nokia any day
>>
>>55262829
>It's exactly what I was talking about, so yes.
You saying
>So I guess I've taken the opportunity to pay less, not more. Thanks.
After saying you pay less they they did points to you believing otherwise.

>You added almost nothing by replying except a thought about stuffing your pockets.
Given that I regularly have to carry tools and other shit at work, it's incredibly convenient to be able to comfortably put them in my pockets when I don't need them instead of having to hold onto them or bring something else around with me to put them in/on like the people with bulky smartphones have to.
>>
File: not.png (14 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
not.png
14 KB, 300x250
> 300 obamas.
> You can buy a dumbphone for 10 in ebay.
>>
File: goonies_sloth_1024.jpg (142 KB, 450x287) Image search: [Google]
goonies_sloth_1024.jpg
142 KB, 450x287
>>55261307
>>
There's some nice looking mini cell phones on Amazon for like, $9.

I have a galaxy s5 and the shit ain't worth $50+ a month for shitty internet when out driving.
>>
i wish some company would make dumb phone with 23 or 41mpx camera sensor
>>
Why does /g/ seem to turn to shit when Europeans wake up?
>>
>>55261272
I would take a low-cost durable web/media streaming service-capable dumbphone with a nice interface (physically and software) and a high-quality camera.

Rehashed pigfat iPhone clones with BIG NUMBER gimmicks are starting to get old, and frankly I don't need them.
>>
>>55261272
30 dollar windows phone
>>
>>55261272
feature phones in 2005-2010:
>alarm that could turn the phone on, so you never miss work.
>searchable contacts so you only pressed 2 or three numbers and it would find the contact you were looking for
>keyboard based menu system, everything was easy and fast to get to
>good for texting, hardware keyboard which meant you could write a message without even looking at the phone, the dictionary prediction was spot on and easy to modify, I never typed the wrong word.
>it even had games on it, so you autistic fuckers could entertain yourself
>even the high end phones back then was less than $100.

Modern dumb phones:
>No features is the biggest feature
>keyboard is worse than before
>software is worse than before
>battery life is about the same
>just as expensive as a smartphone

If you got a modern version of a sony-erricson from 2007, I could see the appeal.
>>
>>55262858
Turn off wifi, mobile data, bt, don't use it for music and stuff like that. Just use it for texts and calls. You will easily get 2 weeks this way.
>>
>>55261272
HEY LEW HERE xD

Get out.
>>
File: mxrevolution3.jpg (24 KB, 500x212) Image search: [Google]
mxrevolution3.jpg
24 KB, 500x212
>>55262790
>implying the pantech c300 wasn't uncomfortable as all fuck to use as a phone.

It was awful. I called it the zoolander phone because of its size, and half the time you had to do this weird shifting around where you move it down your cheek, closer to your mouth when speaking and back up to your ear when listening, unless you wanted people across town to hear your side of the conversation.

Pic related. Far left is the c300. "The world's smallest flip phone" was what it was advertised as.
>>
>>55261308
you fucking new age rainbow man

i bet you grew up with a silver spoon. I hate your type
>>
>>55261571
>free

Someone is a child with absolutely no idea how phone contracts work.

There is no such thing as a free phone. If you're paying $0 at the time of signing or renewing a contract, that doesn't mean it's free. That means you're getting ass raped by subsidy fees every month.

If you and I both walked into the same shop to start a service plan, and I already bought the phone for full retail and did a "customer owned equipment" activation and we compared our monthly bills at the end of the contract term, I guarantee that the total amount of money you've spent will be equal to what I spent, PLUS you've paid at least 10% over the full retail of the phone. Just because they're not charging you $500+ up front doesn't mean they aren't getting that money from you. They've just made you finance the phone with interest over the contract term.

Source: I'm a former regional retail accounts executive for one of the big four US carriers.
>>
File: Johns_phone.jpg (432 KB, 1024x765) Image search: [Google]
Johns_phone.jpg
432 KB, 1024x765
>>55264931
This. The only worthwhile dumbphones are the cheap Nokia burners. Anything else advertised as a 'simple' or 'basic' phone is an overpriced meme phone pitched at hipsters (pic related), or an overpriced Fisher Price phone pitched at elderly people.
>>
>>55264543
>web/media streaming service-capable
Then it isn't a dumbphone anymore you moron
>>
>>55264931
lol, I had the kinds of feature phones you described until late 2013. (It was too expensive to use any of the apps, though. For a long time I didn't have a data plan.)

Yes, I didn't get an actual smartphone until less than three years ago. Was I living in the past for too long, /g/?
>>
The only advantage of dumbphones is the satisfying clap with which you can end calls
>>
>>55261272
i have a nokia 225, shit's great
dropped it a million times, nothing. can still go on 4chink too, but barely.
i have a htc but im just too clumsy for a smartphone, they just drop so easily.
>>
>>55261272
Hipster trash
>>
Anyone ever bought a refurbished phone from Aliexpress?

Something like this

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/w995-Original-Sony-Ericsson-w995-mobile-phone-3G-network-Walkman-4-0-player-WIFI-Bluetooth-GPS/32277479368.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_8,searchweb201602_2_10017_405_507,searchweb201603_11&btsid=6bb2b3cc-ca0f-46ae-ba99-d8dea820a7b2
>>
>>55266462
So-called dumbphones were already able to do that though.
>>
>>55264450
Lumia pureview.
>>
>>55264450
I don't really care about cameras, but battery life, physical keyboards, flip or slide, keyboard-based controls, small size and durability are musts.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160626-160659.png (143 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160626-160659.png
143 KB, 1080x1920
>>55265636
This is not completely true though, at least in the netherlands. Sometimes you only pay the same as what you would pay for the phone or even slightly less. They can afford to do so because they obviously make money on the contract anyways and the phone just enables them to make their contract more appealing. It's obviously pretty difficult to see what you're paying for the phone though, becayse you can't always find the exact same deal minus the phone.

Carriers in the netherlands (and maybe the entire EU) can't do this anymore though. They have to show the cost of the phone separately. You can see that the price of a phone is discounted even if you pay for it every month during your contract. The total price of 504 euro is impossible to find without a contract, let alone the 449.95 if you buy it upfront (in combination with a contract).

Obviously you are right about the phones not being free though. I never understood how americans could think the iPhone cost $200. Are they retarded?
>>
File: 3586vy1[1].gif (16 KB, 475x61) Image search: [Google]
3586vy1[1].gif
16 KB, 475x61
>>55261307
First post best post
>>
>>55266370
Weren't burner cards going to be restricted or banned in the us? If that happens, wouldn't the companies stop making that sort of phones since there is no market for them solo?
>>
>>55268033
Theres no real point in the cards themselves when shit like cricket gives you the exact same shit. $30 month plus like $40 for a moto g if you need one.

I can't remember what law you're talking about (vaguely remember it though), but if they were to get rid of pre-paids entirely, a fuck load of poor people would be without a phone. Literally everyone I know in the lower income bracket uses cricket or something similar
>>
File: 53796e6f65b9a.image.jpg (101 KB, 760x480) Image search: [Google]
53796e6f65b9a.image.jpg
101 KB, 760x480
Have this thread every few days and noticed some serious replies.

/g/ is stuck in the past just the same way it hates on grandmas for not learning windows, it's not about being a hipster in this case, dumbphone fucks are just scared of change.

I've seen 23 year olds carrying dumbphones repeating the "good ol days" meme, in some cases your ISP won't let you turn off data since every plan comes with it now, so if you're on any mainstream carrier you're paying out the ass for something you don't use at all. There's no legit excuse, smartphones are cheaper, you can get cases to make them more durable, and you're a fucking idiot in the first place if you're dropping your phone on the ground.

Amish communities outside big cities use smartphones as long as it's to make money, even their backwards ass beliefs make an exception since they know that realistically they have to fit in at least to do work and make money so they can stay alive, when they go home they drop using them.

Dumbphone fucks are worse than amish "luddites", this isn't hipsterism, it isn't special snowflake - dumbphone users are SCARED TO DEATH of anything new. That's all it is. Just like your dumbass grandma holds onto her 70s typewriters shit, dumbphone losers will hold onto their 2005 garbage. Same shit different decade.
>>
>>55261272
They are shit and are for poorfags

Buy a Motorola razor like someone with a brain
>>
>>55268147
k
>>
>>55265046
you sir are retarted. Dont you know smartphones have standby time of <2 days at max? The screen of the phone uses the most power and battery. You can turn off all the services, but as long as the screen continues to suck juice even when the phone is on sleep, it will not last you more than 2 days
>>
>>55268147
Or you know, carrying around a $500 fragile facebook device is pointless when you can get a $20 phone instead.
>>
>>55261272
I have literally no use for a portable phone if it doesn't happen to be an excelent camera, audio player (mainly podcasts and audio books), video player, navigation aid and notepad as well.
>>
>>55264517
Lol fuk u amerifat xddd
>>
I like that Russian credit card sized one
>>
if you ever get stopped by a cop and he sees you have a dumbphone he automatically assumes you are a drug dealer.
>>
File: zune hd 32gb.jpg (66 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
zune hd 32gb.jpg
66 KB, 800x600
I always wanted a phone as nice and sleek as the zune hd, it had pretty great battery too
MS did wonders with that device, if it just had better app support it could have been an ipod touch killer for sure.
>>
File: asha 208.jpg (28 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
asha 208.jpg
28 KB, 500x500
>>55261272
This phone just does the job.
>>
>>55269042
He's probably right too
>>
>>55261272
I'd love to switch to a dumbphone but I can't give up my qwerty keyboard and 4G hotspot
>>
>>55269042
They do that anyway, my car gets searched practically every time I get pulled over.
>>
>>55270191
Are you a nignog?
>>
>>55270169
Tons of dumbphones have had querty keyboards, and unlike the abomination that are touch keyboards, they were actually physical.
>>
>>55270585
Nope

>>55270594
I'm well aware, what about the 4G hotspot though?
>>
File: TRA_PAC_12_G_155_LG440G.jpg (78 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
TRA_PAC_12_G_155_LG440G.jpg
78 KB, 600x600
>>55261272

That's hipster garbage. What you want is a trap phone for ganster shit.
>>
Why do people assume I don't have a smart phone just because I use a dumb one for phoning?
Shits heavy and I don't carry a manbag 24/7.
also
>buying anything dumb but nokia
>>
>>55270661
Because 99.999% of people only have one phone and use that one phone as a phone.
>>
>>55270617
There's no inherent reason why a modern dumbphone can't have 4G, although I don't think anyone's made a 4G dumbphone yet.
>>
>>55270678
>Because 99.999% of people only have one phone and use that one phone as a portable gaming device.
FTFY
>>
>>55270682
>There's no inherent reason why a modern dumbphone can't have 4G
I never said there was.
>although I don't think anyone's made a 4G dumbphone yet
That's my point.
>>
>>55268575
This is about it, I know people that use the mobile phone for phone calls ony, don't even reply to texts.
You don't really need to use a smartphone every single day unless it's for business or to keep up with the fresh new memes.
>>
Anyone know of any durable dumb phones with big buttons? I wanna get one for my grandma.
>>
>>55268147
>it's the "everyone who doesn't like this new thing I like is just afraid of change" meme
Why do you tards always act that we don't already use smartphones? Or that all change is good change? I don't need a $1000 fart app machine made of fragile and heavy as fuck "premium" materials to do what I need to do, but it's my only option because nothing durable and cheap is capable of doing fuck near anything, let alone shipping with a good camera.
>>
>All those posts of people not having a single clue of why dumbphones can be better for many use cases and trying to reduces their insecurities by trashing those who do in the stupidest ways possible
I already knew /g/ was full of cuntsumerist kiddos, but this is a whole new low which even makes me regret the hipster population who liked stuff just because it's old.
>>
>>55261487

Link to clone plz
>>
Dumbphones are shit, can't even post on 4chan.
>>
>>55272902
Fuck off weeb, enjoy your hipster phone that's completely inferior to a smartphone.
>>
>>55266668
underrated
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 430x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 430x500
>>55261671
>smaller
Did you know there are phones on market that are actually designed to be be inserted into the anus?
>>
>>55274505
But that's wrong
>>
>>55261272
go be hispter somewhere else
>>
>>55275167
Show me a dumbphone that supports javascript.
>>
>>55275415
You don't need JavaScript to post
>>
>>55275455
>I've never posted on 4chan!
How are you even here?
>>
>>55275492
>I've never posted on 4chan without JavaScipt before
That's neat and all, but others do.
>>
>>55275581
I bet you don't even know what javascript is.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (240 KB, 990x885) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
240 KB, 990x885
>>55275268
yessss consumerist goy, gooood
continue upgrading, it will make you happy™
>>
>>55274440
There are tons of them.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UWT5DM4/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016BG5SMQ/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015XMRLZG/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QWQIBSY/
>>
File: Untitled.webm (676 KB, 454x662) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.webm
676 KB, 454x662
>>55275604
See that post you just replied to? I disabled JavaScript in my browser before posting it. Here's an example.
>>
>>55261308
>>55261372
Good points. Excellent.
But normies don't care about that. They care about:
>>55261455
> indestructible, are smaller, can last two weeks on one charge, and have low cost
I've dropped my Sony Xperia Z1 Compact a few times, it never broke. It is small (i specifically bought the Compact model).
I will say the battery doesnt last 2 weeks. but then again, the smartphone does have more features that make it drain the battery.. obviously.. you can't shitpost on 4chan for 8 hours a day on a dumbphone. As for the price, there are cheap android phones. nobody is forcing you to buy the latest flagship phones.

IMO, the only convincing reason to get a dumbphone is
1. battery life
2. to buy as a cheap disposable burner phone
Smartphones excel in everything else.
>>
>>55275708
Thanks for confirming you're full of shit.
>>
>>55275772
The fuck are you on about? How am I posting with JavaScript if I have JavaScript disabled?

Fucking dumbass.
>>
File: retard.png (42 KB, 944x885) Image search: [Google]
retard.png
42 KB, 944x885
>>55275772
What are you on about? Have you seriously never seen the JS-less captcha before?
>>
Why do people keep saying this smartphones cant get long battery life? I keep my Nexus 5 as a dumbphone and it gets 8 days on standby, its actually slightly more than my old nokia dumbphones. Ive never used a dumbphone with 2 week battery life, thats an exagerated meme as well.

>>55268522
Fuck off to reddit.
>>
File: Nokia-X3.jpg (32 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Nokia-X3.jpg
32 KB, 500x375
Post dumbphones you still use, pic related, radio alarm clock, one of the few phones with integrated radio antenna.
>>
>>55261308
>There are smartphones with very good battery life, especially if you use them exactly how you'd use a dumbphone.

This. I have a Moto X and for a while I didn't have a data plan, I just used wifi as needed for my rare mobile data needs (and where I lived I basically could always access some kind of wifi if needed at work, home, friends' houses, restaurants...). During that time my phone would last 3-4 days on a single charge.
>>
>>55261308
They have a fucking keypad. Go shove your ebin touchscreen up your ass if you think there is no reason for these to exist.
>>
>>55276087
>implying you even have someone to call
Yeah im sure using that hardware keyboard to enter your moms number must've been an awesome experience, totally worth the trade off.
>>
>>55268147
how dare someone prefer physical buttons
>>
>>55268147
Some people just don't have a real use for a smartphone. I'm a software developer and

- I don't need to chat on le Tindereddits because everyone's a text or a call away
- I don't need to shitpost while on the train because I can wait to get home/work for that
- I don't want a cellphone that overheats, has shit battery life and gets shitslow like if it were some fucking Windows laptop
- I don't want to run currynigger/chink apps on my phone to do basic shit
- I like my phone to have 1+ week battery life
- I don't want some meme touchscreen with no tactile feedback that cracks for no fucking reason
- I don't need to check the most ebin memes on 9gag on the go
- You damn well know cheap smartphones tend to be slow as fuck and almost as useful as a dumbphone-with-Facebook.

Granted, smartphones are cheaper nowadays and I own one because dumbphones are impossible to find nowadays, but if you think everyone absolutely need a smartphone you're either a redditard manchild or a trendy hipster memer who can't wait to get home to shitpost on /g/.

Nothing wrong with $15 dumbphones. If they still existed, that is. I agree dumbphone are too expensive nowadays though.
>>
>>55261272
Having physical keys is nice, and if you don't use your phone too much there's really no point in buying a $500 paperweight. Might as well get a $30 phone and a pay as you go sim.
>>
>>55276113
Having to uninstall useless apps, root your phone, flash a half decent ROM, keep a close eye on your little shit that updates itself for no fucking reason and the pain of typing on a touchscreen must have made you really bitter.
>>
>>55265046
so... the same as just getting a dumbphone
>>
Could just be for the simple fact that you don't want a touchscreen phone.

I personally don't like touchscreens that much and if you're buying a smartphone today you don't have much of a choice
>>
>>55267153
I had the phone you linked a bunch of years ago. It was a neat phone
>>
>>55275856
Are posting from the year 1997?
>>
>>55276397
No, I'm pretty sure we're both 2016
>>
>>55275856
os 7? noice
>>
>>55276039
I still use a Razr.

livin the life, circa 2007
>>
>>55275856
fucken lel
nice os9
>>
File: classic.png (260 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
classic.png
260 KB, 1280x1024
>>55276397
Behold, I come from 2005, wielding the power of Classic mode.
Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.