[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone own a steam link? I was thinking about picking one up
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 1
File: header.jpg (14 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
14 KB, 460x215
Anyone own a steam link? I was thinking about picking one up over the holidays. I don't want an Xbox or playstation but sometimes I just want to get away from my desk and play a game lying in bed. I already have a wireless controller that will work.

How well does it work? How much of a lag is there?

Rig specs are as follows:

I5 4670k @ 4.6ghz
Gtx 780
16gb corsair ram
500gb crucial SSD
>>
It's just a in home streaming device right?

There's barely any lag. I used to use in home streaming as an audio replacement when my main computer speakers broke. Just streamed to my laptop with audio and played on my main computer.

The audio was almost perfectly synced.
>>
From what i've seen it's actually surprisingly good. Little to no latency between your PC and TV (that is noticable anyway) and if you're playing games which are compatible with steam controller it makes a great combo. PC specs don't ENTIRELY matter as it just streams your desktop, so as long as you aren't streaming beyond your PCs capabilities you'll be fine.
>>
>>51404261

It basically takes your video cards output. Compresses it to h.264 and pushes that to your television over your network.

I'm hoping to find someone who is running one over a wireless network because if I can't do that I will have to go buy a modem. No big deal but it's another $50

>>51404314

From what I've seen online that seems to be the case but I don't trust those shills. What scares me is they never show it playing games like skyrim or battlefield 4. They only show arcade style games that aren't graphically intensive. I want to know what happens when I try to stream a REAL game. Does it fall apart?
>>
>>51404184
Do you have an android device?
Then you already have a "steam link"
>>
I'd say your networking equipment was much more important a factor here than your hardware.
>>
>>51404261
>There's barely any lag. I used to use in home streaming as an audio replacement when my main computer speakers broke. Just streamed to my laptop with audio and played on my main computer.
>The audio was almost perfectly synced.

lol
>>
>>51404184
My house is being built now so I had the idea of pulling a few CAT6 cables for HDMI and USB from the office (where my main PC will be) to my living room. There I'll just connect it to my TV and to a USB bluetooth and I'll use it as both my HTPC and game machine.
>>
just get a hdmi splitter and 25-50 foot hdmi cable on ebay for a combined price of $15. Not only will you not have compressed graphics but you wont have any latency.
>>
>>51404402
elaborate please

>>51404404
i have good networking hardware. i'm not worried about that

>>51404456
the cost savings would be negated by the difficulty of running such a long cord under carpeting.
>>
>>51404184
unless you have a family and are an adult with shit to do and have your own house and shit, in which case you'd be a manchild to be playing videogames, you have literally no reason to even own a television in the first place, let alone a streaming device.

You can't prove me wrong.
>>
>>51404508
run the cable over carpeting or buy a mini projector for your room.
>>
>>51404586

no
>>
>>51404596
That's the cheapest and most effective way to do what you want to do.
>>
>>51404619

a 50ft hdmi cable running on top of my carpeting across my house is not an option .we aren't all 12 year old with computers in our bedrooms. some of us actually have an office.
>>
>>51404646
What difference would the computer being in a bedroom or an office make for this purpose? You'd be running the cable across carpeting in either case.
>>
>>51404676

leave this thread. you're an idiot who can't read apparently.
>>
>>51404713
That's a dodge. Regardless of whether you do it with a wire or not, the source PC is going to be in a different room. That quip you made about 12 year olds and their bedrooms was wholly irrelevant from the start.
>>
>>51404508
Theres an application called Moonlight, that emulates an nvidia shield, so you can use the nvidia mirroring.

(If you have an AMD card, you can use splashtop, so far the best mirroring application and it works for amd n nvidia, i played a mmorpg with my note 3 with a bluetooth controller from the subway)

Both aplications are top tier mirroring.

u just need a hdmi cable for your phone and you are set.

Theres also another application for creating custom touch controls. For example you can make swipes and map them to a key in a controller.
(i will look for it)

I have tested multiple setups, so feel free to ask.
>>
>>51404529
It's more comfy than the chair.
>>
>>51404386
I've used home steaming to play Metro Redux, Wargame, GTA 4 and had no issues thus far.
>>
>>51404762
>splashtop
it just fucking botnet RAT, no thanks
i will la
>>
It should be fine if you use a wired connection to the link.
>>
>>51404646
>a 50ft hdmi cable running on top of my carpeting across my house is not an option .we aren't all 12 year old with computers in our bedrooms. some of us actually have an office.
kid, we have computers in our bedrooms, laptops, tablets, consoles, projectors, the whole 9. It's good not being underage b&
>>
>>51404529
You should learn to express yourself clearly before telling others they are doing something wrong in your opinion.
>>
Long Displayport cable >>>>>>>>>>>> long hdmi cable >>>>> long vga/dvi cable >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> anything wireless.
>>
>>51404762
>an AMD card, you can use splashtop, so far the best mirroring application and it works for amd n nvidia, i played a mmorpg with my note 3 with a bluetooth controller from the subway)
I use ssplashtop for streaming touch games to my tablet and phone. I have a huge issue with lag, Although it's probably due to my internet being shit
>>
OP here

At this point I'm just going to assume no one here owns a link and i'm just going to have to take my chances
>>
>>51404762

The only android I have is a dusty galaxy note (the original that everyone made fun of me for having because it was so big)

Doubt it would work well and the shield has a limited number of games that can be streamed

As long as the link is relatively lag free ill spend the $50 to be able to chill on the bed and play games
>>
>>51407621
Or spend 15$ on a cable
>>
>>51406944
Ya the conection speed is a thing, but you also need to make the resolution smaller. I cant remember the configuration but that has a direct impact on the performance. Also theres a reg fix for windows to stream up to 60fps and make sure you use the performance over quality streaming settings.

>>51405083
Well dude, i just didnt know they were a bot net (citation needed) . Probably what you should try is kainy is another android mirroring program that has a nice set of configurations. For what ive tested it can run in very low resolution (scaling) so it should be very fast on bad connections. The quality was meh, and im sure its a configuration problem, i just didn't had that time to play around with it.

>>51407621
I think that theres no lag free solutions, the streaming on tegra devices its about 5ms (you can google this or read it on the moonlight home page) so theres lag spikes sometimes but i also have to use wifi-n @2.4ghz (FUCKING CHROMECASTS).

In the hardware side, you shoud be able to check it by playing a .h264 video with no issues, that pretty much will test the hardware.

>>51407036
What link?
http://moonlight-stream.com/

tl;dr

Splashtop (botnet? citation needed) easy setup, you can play over internet. (if you want to buy it get the older versions. you can play over internet without a subscription)

Kainy: more customizable, not as easy as the other two. Internet play is posible.

Moonlight: Only NVidia, easy setup. I haven't tested it, but i think that you can´t play over internet.
>>
>>51404762
The application is called Tincore Keymapper.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tincore.and.keymapper
>>
>>51407712
This. The picture quality will be far better as well.
>>
So my setup is i5 4690k, 970, 16gb displaying onto 2560×1080, streaming via Ethernet network to my laptop, displaying onto a 4k seiki TV at 2560×1440, black bars aside, the picture is blurry, okay. At best. The latency is at times unbearable, I have yet to identify the main bottleneck, may be my garbage network adapter.
>>
>>51408288

>far better

Not really.
>>
>>51408473
uhm, gb ethernet is more than enough. Prob the 970@ 4k is the issue. Try lowering the resolution and test.

Also interested in doing this same thing.
>>
I use it to play vidya on my laptop in bed if I don't feel like getting up. Both PC and laptop are connected wirelessly. There an itsy bitsy amount of lag but it's not enough to hinder gameplay.
>>
>>51408558
The 970 outputs onto a 2560×1080p
>>can'tintoreadingcomprehension
>>
>>51404261
I used it for wireless keyboard/mouse input from my bed. I also had to have in a shitty kb/m at the same time otherwise Windows would flop and go full retard.
I found out a glitch with Dolphin (as a non-steam app) to get full access to Windows with it.
>>
Why is my thread attracting retards who can't stay remotely on topic?

I am not and will not run a 50ft hdmi cord across my fucking house. This is not realistic at all. If it was I wouldn't be here on this god forsaken board.
>>
>>51408816
As long as you have AC wi-fi and a strong connection, you'll be fine.
>>
>>51408473
There are some games where IHS is just fucked up, but most of the time it should work pretty great, at least it does for me over 1Gbps LAN, though not with one of these, using an old C2D laptop. Latency isn't bad (maybe like 30ms when everything is working well) and quality is pretty good. You can set the stream bandwidth manually, increase it to get better quality if everything you have can handle it.
>>
mine works fairly well, but at least in my house the wireless connection works like shit. running over ac the latency would sometimes spike to over 500ms and the video bitrate would drop fairly drastically. steam also crashed fairly frequently.

the wired connection runs significantly better, and that is running to a remote router connected to the main router over 802.11n. steam link reports lower overall bandwidth utilization, but far lower latency and almost no streaming problems.

i got mine a month ago so maybe they updated something to make the wireless work better, haven't tried.
>>
>>51408484
Yes really. Like a blu ray vs netflix streaming.
>>
>>51409332
IHS really was meant to be used with very good networks, ideally there should be no wireless hops between the host and client at all.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.