[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is a computer science degree a scam and if so why? >WHAT DEGREE
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: DSC_0139.jpg (840 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0139.jpg
840 KB, 2560x1440
Is a computer science degree a scam and if so why?
>WHAT DEGREE = $$$$
>>
Airplane technician
>>
>>51393205
forestry
>>
>>51393205
>Is a computer science degree a scam

No, but it's kind of pointless.

People look at Google, with $150k base salaries and barbecues and adult-sized kiddie fun slides and think it's an awesome career. But that probably represents, what, less than half a percent of all the programmers in the world?

Chances are you'll be writing stupid CRUD apps for some local bank. They'll get mad at you for fixing bugs that weren't assigned to you, and they'll be very upset when you suggest that they move away from Visual Basic.

Then, when you're 35, you'll get laid off because the company was poorly run, and you'll never get hired again because you didn't spend time literally studying books on how to game the easily gamed hiring practices of 2015.

The whole industry is a joke.

If you're good with computers, get a degree EE or mech E. Or, if you can't hack that, get a degree in business. You'll do far better as an accountant with awesome computer skills than you will as a programmer with average programming skills.
>>
>>51393330
>If you're good with computers, get a degree EE or mech E. Or, if you can't hack that, get a degree in business.

You're half right, but I'd suggest going associate technician if you can't hack a traditional engineering program. It's way more stable pay than most accountants or code monkeys and you're done in 1.5 to 2 years.
>>
>>51393205
yes because you could have taught yourself this shit
>>
A degree helps for getting past HR and nothing more. The rest depends on you teaching yourself all of the HipsterJS 2015 frameworks so that you can do web development at a "hip" new startup or something. But hey, you have to be willing to do what pays if you want to make money. Otherwise you'll end up at a shitty local bank or grocery store like >>51393330 said, programming shopping cart apps or something. Fuck that.
>>
>>51393205
Certifications
>>
>Currently doing a Computing degree
>Not even that interested but chose it because literally nothing else seemed to interest me
>No real idea of what I want to be
>Noticing more and more comments about how shit and pointless the course is
>>
>>51393994

Dude an internet conversation about any course will generate comments like those, short of an MD degree. CS is one of the better ones.
>>
>>51393205
Can you get a better picture of the girl?
>>
How legit is this?
https://training.linuxfoundation.org/certification

Do companies actually recognize a certification like this or is my Linux dream job a pipe dream? 23yo with no prior (professional) experience in computing, no education nothing. Just been using Linux since forever and know i'd be able to do it.
>>
>>51394173
Legit but nobody cares if you can use the terminal. Learn better skills.
>>
>>51393994
You will find just as many people praising the course as well. If you're doing something just for the money you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>51393205
>WHAT DEGREE = $$$$

Nothing in IT LMAO. The only way to make university profitable is to go to a prestigious university and make as many rich friends as you can.
>>
petroleum engineering
>>
>>51394083
>>51394237
Thanks anons, feel better now desu
>>
>>51393330
is EE really better?
there were a couple of second year students coming to my town to talk about their studies,
and the EE student was really stupid.
Like reaaaaly stupid.
But he still was in the study after more then a year.
And the stuff he told us he had learned was all really basic stuff.
He reffered to both IC's and PCB's as "chips", not differntiating between them.
He was really proud about his projects, even though an eight year old could have done them, and a ten year old would have done them better.
He thought Wifi and bluetooth were "discovered" and "invented" instead of designed on top of the century old invention of radio technology.
He was just generally retarded.
Is that just this student/UNI or are all EE people this retarded?
>>
>>51394462
You'll find that most people are generally this retarded. It says nothing about the curricula, but just that individual. You'll have access to profs and staff that actually know what they're talking about. Undergrads are pretty much retarded.
>>
>>51393330
>you didn't spend time literally studying books on how to game the easily gamed hiring practices of 2015.

What books are these?
>>
File: 1233255977804.jpg (23 KB, 414x425) Image search: [Google]
1233255977804.jpg
23 KB, 414x425
>>51394462
>>51394595
>Undergrads are pretty much retarded.
This.

University is full of normies with undiagnosed autism.
>>
>>51394462
Its not that they're stupid they're just not technically proficient with those kinds of things. EE is an extremely hard undergrad major so the people that make it aren't stupid, but they can be stupid in other ways. Such as terrible taste in just about everything.
>>
>>51393205
Learn cobal, I shit you not, the people that know cobol are like 80 and are dying. Old legacy software still being run by some companies need engineers to maintain thier old systems. They will pay you a lot of money to fix the shit that breaks.
>>
File: 12345.png (35 KB, 1204x412) Image search: [Google]
12345.png
35 KB, 1204x412
These are some of my required courses, I think it depends on what college you go to.
>>
>WHAT DEGREE = $$$$

You may want to reconsider if a degree is right for you. No degree will guarantee you a job, except for maybe an MD.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.