[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
telemetry != spying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 199
Thread images: 18
File: windows-10.jpg (310 KB, 2000x1124) Image search: [Google]
windows-10.jpg
310 KB, 2000x1124
>there are retards on /g/ right now who believe Windows 10 telemetry is "spying"

I have been using Windows 10 since July and you retards have it all wrong. Telemetry is just usage information for Microsoft, not personal information.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telemetry
>>
>>51384447
If Microsoft is so confident that it's 110% above-board and not at all intrusive, why do they not let you turn it off? Why do they go around the hosts file to ensure that their telemetry gets through? Sounds to me like Microsoft has something to hide.

Why should Microsoft get to have a database of the applications I choose to run on my own computer anyway? What I do on my computer is my business, not theirs.
>>
>>51385505
>why do they not let you turn it off?
maybe because they want those data
>Sounds to me like Microsoft has something to hide.
Sound to me like they just want to find how to make their futur updates more adapted to the way you use your stuff
>What I do on my computer is my business, not theirs.
their business is to make a computer you can use for what you want
>>
>>51385547
>maybe because they want those data
Well it's my data and I don't think they should have it. NOW WHAT
>Sound to me like they just want to find how to make their futur updates more adapted to the way you use your stuff
They'll have plenty of data from the normies that leave it on. I should be able to opt out.
>their business is to make a computer you can use for what you want
I want my computer to not tell Microsoft what applications I'm using or how I'm using them. That's a valid use case. Maybe if their team looked at their data returns and saw a bunch of people with telemetry turned off, they could draw the useful conclusion that some of their userbase cares about privacy, which would suggest some other improvements for them to make, eh?
>>
File: th.jpg (7 KB, 300x217) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
7 KB, 300x217
http://thehackernews.com/2014/10/download-Windows-10-keylogger.html

>Unlike some other platforms, no matter what privacy options you choose, neither Windows 10 nor any other Microsoft software scans the content of your email or other communications, or your files
wait for it
>in order to deliver targeted advertising to you
They do it for the NSA
>>
That usage information sure does seem to be quite specific to my browsing habits and websites..
>>
Maybe if every win10 user on /g/ had telemetry enabled it would evolve into a better product
>>
>>51385724
Knowing /g/ they'd all be locked up for cp
>>
>>51385621
That's just preview
>>
>>51384447
>knowing exactly what I am doing at all times
>not spying
Jesus christ, fucking corporate apologists.
>>
BOTNET
O
T
N
E
T
>>
File: -_215.jpg (161 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
-_215.jpg
161 KB, 1024x768
>sending every keystroke you make back to microsoft servers
ITS JUST TELEMETRY

>sending every noise your microphone picks up back to microsoft servers
RELAX ITS JUST USAGE INFORMATION

>sharing every piece of data they have with the NSA
ITS JUST METADATA YOU PARANOID ASSHOLE
>>
>>51385748
They "removed it" ;)
>>
I thought the shilling meme was a joke but Jesus I can't believe there are actually marketers on /g/.

I wonder what their audience is on /g/. If a thread stays up for let's say 6 hours, how many people does it reach?
>>
>>51385795
on average there are 1000 views for every 1 comment
>>
>>51384447
How can I get Windows 10 if I have pirated Win 7.
I hate paying for stuff Im sorry
>>
>>51386001
Bump this comment for answer
>>
>>51386001
Help
>>
File: ur a faget.jpg (70 KB, 498x673) Image search: [Google]
ur a faget.jpg
70 KB, 498x673
>>51386001
>>51386009
>>51386036
>>
>>51385804
>on average there are 1000 views for every 1 comment
Source?
>>
>>51385763
You are a complete retard.
Windows does not know what I do with my right hand.
>>
>>51385774
That is 100% bullshit.

You can check it anytime with a non crap router.
>>
Didn't even read the entire article but the first example of telemetry is a tracking device on a gator.
I don't see how that refutes your point about calling it telemetry makes it something else than spying.
Watching someone in a way they cannot watch you is spying.
Since the only reason to use windows is Photoshop, why are such tools not disconnected from the internet and the rest of the world running linux or BSD?
>>
No to metion force update anD DUCKIBG TURNUNG OFF MY PC
I likr to my free
>>
>>51385505
>If Microsoft is so confident that it's 110% above-board and not at all intrusive, why do they not let you turn it off?
They do on Enterprise edition.
>>
>>51386235
except for its still running even after disabling it via settings and GPO on LTSB RTM. t. somebody who is moving back to win 7 ent at the end of the week for this exact reason.
>>
tested my network with wireshark and nothing seems to go back to ms

enterprise edt
>>
>>51384447
Fuck off MS damage control. Your OS is a keylogger and ad embedded piece of shit that even idiots don't like. Spam these threads all day and it wont do shit to make people adopt your gimickey, buggy, ''os''.
>>
Somewhere in the USA, there is a child starting up Windows 10 for the first time.

Everything they read, every website they visit, every search query, every movie they watch...all under the watchful eye of Microsoft, and by extension the US Government.

Every text message, every selfie. Eventually it will also include everything the child says, does, and thinks. Their successes and failures, their first kiss, sexual experimentation...all recorded and stored, "just in case."

And someday...that particular child will run for President. Do you have any idea how useful their lifetime "telemetry" will be to the right people?

If you aren't completely frightened of this sort of shit, then it's due to such a dreadful lack of imagination as to border on retardation. A lack of imagination on the same level as dumb cattle being led along in a chute.

>But look, Windows 10 is shiiiiiiney! Look at the wallpaper, the window borders! It has 15-year-old voice recognition technology!
>>
This thread is definitely damage control
>>
>>51386095
I got bad news for you... It was proven long time ago, even before the official release.
>>
>>51384447
>it's just usage information
>it's just metadata
>it's just enough to infer the rest

Kill yourself faggot.
>>
don't they have a thing in their terms of service where it say they will delete any pirated shit they find?
>>
>>51386095
ᵀʰᶦˢ ᵖᵒˢᵗ ʷᵃˢ ˢᵖᵒᶰˢᵒʳᵉᵈ ᵇʸ ᴹᶦᶜʳᵒˢᵒᶠᵗ'ˢ ᵂᶦᶰᵈᵒʷˢ 10™
>>
>>51387053
>>51387113
I have checked my network (mikrotik router) and wireshark and I have not seen data going to MS.

How do they hide it?
>>
Fresh install Win 8.1 Pro,disable updates,install Start8,end of story no telemetry for me.
>>
>>51386448

Important question - if it still try to connect, what kind of data does it send? Is Enterprise/Edu the same on those terms as 7? Because I dont mind sending MS my dxdiag report or something, already did few times on my own.

I keep asking this question in threads on regular manner, since all I get is constant "BUT IT SEND DAAAAAAATAAAAAA" and sites like Ars Technica claims that with all options disabled in Pro, there are no keystrokes being send, yet OS tries to connect with MS servers, even if nature of those connections (containing temporary machine ID that gets generated again with each restart) suggest that there are either leftovers or continuation of 7 approach.
>>
>>51387311
>>51387311
Can we just agree that nobody knows the truth?
>>
>>51387411
Nobody does, but Microsoft is a corporation, not an individual, and they must know.
>>
Even worse than literally hoarding all of your data is the Windows 10 user interface, looks, and fucking everything that has anything to do with usability. It's least comfy Windows ever released and that's quite a statement after Win8 massacre.
>>
>>51384447
>has built in key logger
>tracks what you do and use
>has built in ads based on the two above
totally not spyware
>>
>>51384447
You have been spied on since July and you're afraid of the truth.
>>
>>51387446
>Even worse ... fucking everything that has anything to do with usability

I always wonder what people mean when they say that. All the recent windows OS's I used, I use the same way: window key -> type whatever I want to start -> enter
The only thing that bothers me is the way they have separate settings from control panel which is retarded, but it was introduced in 8.
Also you can't say that window management or start menu has gotten worse since 8 since that's impossible, and it's no worse than 7.
>>
>>51387135
they send it in bulk every 15 minutes or something like that
do you really think that they send every keystroke as soon as you hit it?
>>
>>51386981
and he updated for minecraft story mode.

fuck this
>>
Feel like your network bandwidth is slipping away? Windows 10 could be the culprit.

Microsoft’s new desktop operating system has employed a torrent-style approach to sharing updates with your fellow Windows 10 users.

The OS employs a system of sharing updates between users’ PCs and across their own networks rather than download direct from Microsoft. The system is called Windows Update Delivery Optimisation, or WUDO.

WUDO came to light as people began downloading Windows 10 – released on Wednesday – to their machines. It’s been causingsurprises.

It works by creating a local cache and stores files that it has downloaded in that cache for a short period of time. Windows 10 sends parts of those files to other PCs on your local network or PCs on the internet that are downloading the same files.

Microsoft claimed its “delivery optimisation” wouldn't be able to access your personal files or folders or be able to alter files on your PC.

NOOOOOOO!!!!
>>
File: amused.png (243 KB, 393x329) Image search: [Google]
amused.png
243 KB, 393x329
>>51384447
>saucing Wikipedia
>>
Microsoft just doesnt give a shit about paranoidal complains.
>>
>>51384447
Even if you are delusional and/or paid enough not to regard this as spying, you must admit it IS spying when they share your data to intelligence agencies, i.e. actual spies.
>>
>>51384447
Rajeet
How much do they pay you?
I would like to shill for Microsoft and earn money from my basement
>>
Windows 10 is not your problem if you are using any android device
>>
>>51387713
Except there is something called Replicant OS and something else called Freecyngn if you still want to keep your drivers
>>
>>51387713
Its different.Closed sourciness of Windows make it difficult to understand which part is spying.
In android we know which part is spying and we can block it.
>>
>muh keylogger
nobody has yet provided any evidence that Win10 keylogs or in fact collects any personal data, if you set all the privacy options on.
>>
>>51387772
Even if they have a keylogger with privacy options off (except in their bing bar) it's still fucked up. But yeah, I'd like to see some traffic analysis that shows they have.
>>
>>51384447
>telemetry after telemetry has been turned off = spying
Fixed your topic
>>
>>51387797
>=
==
>>
>>51387862
Maybe he assigned the value and it was true that the assignment happened.
>>
>>51387411

Like >>51387437 said, but in general, I more or less have to use Windows OS and I might need to switch from 7 at some point in the future or work with people using 10 as their primary OS. VM is not an option in my case.

I HAVE to know. There MUST be some way to reach the truth and I refuse to succumb into either "BOTNET" or "NOTHING TO HIDE" camp.
>>
>>51387508
Could you show some source? I monitored it for 12 hours last time I checked it.
>>
>>51387789
I monitored my Internet (I have MikroTik router ment for server use at my home + Wireshark) for 12 hours (Enterprise edt) and I did not catch it sending anything back. I had maxed out privacy options and went and changed stuff in Group Policy.

I'd like to see what sends the information supposedly back, a video or something that I could check and try to find it from my PC.
>>
"IT administrators of Windows 10 Enterprise, the SKU available only to large customers with volume licensing deals and the annuity-like Software Assurance (SA) program, can completely switch off diagnostic data gathering using group policies."
>>
>>51388290
I have W10 Enterprise, but what does it mean 'IT admins of W10' part?

And last I recall there was only SECURITY in my group policy which would still send stuff.
>>
We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to: 1.comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies; 2.protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone; 3.operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks

PART OF EULA
>>
>>51388137
Source: his ass
>>
>>51388367
This is in Google and other shit you use you fuckin gmongoloid.

Because of Patriot Act.

and because of NSA having direct access to their servers anyway.

Fucking retard.

Watch Citizenfour.
>>
>>51388368
>Source: his ass
>HURR DURR I HAVE NO ARGUMENTS LEFT SO I JUST PRETEND I AM DUMB
>>
File: 1447391467782.jpg (66 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1447391467782.jpg
66 KB, 800x600
>>51384447
I want to upgrade to Windows 10 but it takes 9 hours in total (3 hours to upgrade + 6hrs reset pcclean install)

With the recent major version update, most of my software and registry are fucked and I have to reset PC every time a major update which means backing up close to 500gb of personal files over a shitty 10/100 Lan connection giving me 7MB/s copy speed taking 10 hours just to transfer files.

So tell me senpai, why should I commit to a life of misery when I can dual boot xubuntu and use Windows as a storage dump for files while upgrading xubuntu via usb to the next LTS version?
>>
>>51388387
I asked kindly for source to show me where can I find the part of W10 that sends information in bulk every 15 minutes.

I did not find it in 12 hours of monitoring my Internet with MikroTik+Wireshark.

Maybe I missed it somehow, maybe not.
>>
>>51386055
My dick will change her perception of me being a faggot.
>>
>>51387454
>>51386095
What in gods name are you not understanding?

Wireshark. SNMP Router interface. Show at results.

Are you fuckin retarded?
>>
>>51388367
>onedrive, outlook, insider preview
>i-it's botnet guise
>>
>>51388411
What should I have seen at the results because I did not see MS sending information back to their servers
>>
>>51388387
>>51388405

They collect information for the following purposes:

1. Service packs
2. Errors
3. Driver problems
4. Advertising
5. Mapping demographics
6. Cortana AI improvement
7. Advertising
8. Advertising

So which of these do people find questionable considering I can choose to make a local account and shut off any and all M$ services and with ublock in chrome, I never have to see any ads whatsoever.

I need a rational answer.
>>
>>51388440
>What should I have seen at the results because I did not see MS sending information back to their servers
That's what I mean I didn't quote you I am the windows 10 dude
>>
>>51388444
Can you please tell me the exact IPs and process names that send this information to MS

Wireshark and made for server use MikroTik did not see this shit being sent (W10 Enterprise edt)
>>
>>51388318
Annual fee for the right to disable Telemetry and Data Collection!
>>
BOTNET BOTNET BOTNET BOTNET
>>
File: 1357267284591.jpg (54 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1357267284591.jpg
54 KB, 640x480
>shills for windows 10 are still on /g/

At first it was irritating. But when you realize more people are still using 7, Vista, and even XP than 8, 8.1, and 10, these threads become laughable.
>>
>>51388462
That is what was stated in the description of telemetry updates. No one knows the exact IP, this is what M$ declares as their policy of data collection.

Again, these are not extra ordinary data collection items, I just want to know if there is anything beyond this that I need to be concerned about.

I am sure Google collects far more data than this.
>>
>>51388515
I am fairly sure NSA catches about 99% of the information if for some reason Google and MS miss something.

Just can't find these things that send information back despite monitoring my network heavily.
>>
>>51384447
>ᵀʰᶦˢ ᵖᵒˢᵗ ʷᵃˢ ˢᵖᵒᶰˢᵒʳᵉᵈ ᵇʸ ᴹᶦᶜʳᵒˢᵒᶠᵗ'ˢ ᵂᶦᶰᵈᵒʷˢ 10™
>>
>>51385774
Source on the mic bit? Google came up empty for me
>>
>>51388549
I think it's something picked up from NSA docs where they can listen to your mic on smartphones and any tablet/dekstop if they have one.
>>
>>51388549
facebook does this (to recognise music you listen to lol), there was nothing on windows though
>>
>>51388526
>NSA catches about 99% of the information
That is obvious, every telecom company complies with the government agencies of their country to hand over activity logs on demand.

So this is the new normal and does not affect mainstream users. I am more concerned about 3rd part advertisers installing malware through Windows "updates" and my system being compromised by some skiddie since Windows is a piece of shit when it comes to security. Even with Avast I feel paranoid about viruses.
>>
>>51388589
>To hand over activity logs on demand.
Being plugged to server and get every information is more than 'hand over activity logs on demand'.
>>
>>51388589
>Windows is a piece of shit when it comes to security
Not anymore no. That's a very old meme.
>>
>>51388489
>At first it was irritating. But when you realize more people are still using 7, Vista, and even XP than 8, 8.1, and 10, these threads become laughable.
Since 10 already has more marketshare than osx or any of your linux distros most other threads here are even more ridiculous. The only thing that stops people from upgrading is irrational fear from retarded tech sites that don't know shit about anything they are writing about.
>>
>>51388606
do you know what a log is?
>>
>>51384447
But you can turn it off for fuck sake,
it's just a pair of services to kill and some fucking booleans to add/change in the registers
>>
>>51388745
>the registers
the average knowledge level of /g/
>>
>>51388755
Sorry for my bad english, but come on this meme has to end.
>>
if you nerds actually bothered to read the fucking KB's, you would realize that it has to do with uac escalation and shit like that. something that happens so infrequently who cares?
>>
WE COME IN PEACE
>>
File: 1396746981746.jpg (42 KB, 375x431) Image search: [Google]
1396746981746.jpg
42 KB, 375x431
great shill thred guise!
>>
>>51387606

yeah they do, just not normalfag home users. They figured they can`t make money from selling licenses anymore so they made the whole OS into adware.

- Manufacturers win because it means zero costs for OS for them.

- MS wins because it gets to chop down google down a peg in advertisement revenue.

- Moronic normalfags win because now their bottom of the barrel laptop will be 50$ cheaper.
>>
File: yee.jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
yee.jpg
11 KB, 480x360
>>51384447
"CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

10 shekels have been added to your paypal account.

Sincerely,
Uncle Billy"
>>
>>
>>51386084 oh so you use your left hand for a mouse?
>>
>>51387508
Use peerblock with the Microsoft list, type something after being idle for a minute and watch it light up.
>>
>>51389664
MS list referring to the pastebin made by the MS worker?
>>
>running Windows 10
ISHYGDDT
>>
Botnet BUMP
>>
>>51384447
>US company
>NSA has full access to all that "telemetry"
>not spying
>>
>>51390571
NSA has full access to just about most of the digital data bit in the world and programs to filter the metadata.

For a board so hell bent on ragging on Winblows 10 you sure keep promoting and buying Android trash which is even more eager on spying you lel
>>
On windows 10. Both Firefox and Chrome suddenly defaults to Google.co.jp
Utorrent suddenly is testing connection from Tokyo,jp.
What the fuck is happening. I live in NY. I haven't changed any language or system locale settings.
>>
>>51384447
nice meme consumertard
>>
>>51384447
nuked this crap unfinished joke of an OS with linux mint

feels good mang.jpg
>>
>>51390818

Enjoy your ghost OS. Is it you, is it MS, is a virus? NOBODY FUCKING KNOWS!

Now imagine you run a small office, YOU are your own tech support, you can't shovel it off to some intern...is your firewall compromised, did someone catch a virus? Will the next update crash your machine and make you miss a deadline?

Fuck. This.
>>
>>51384447
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telemetry

I don't think microsoft would waste money on paying people to spy on windows 10 users. What is happening is that what you do on your pc is being uploaded to a database somewhere
>>
>>51384447
le how to troll gee: the post
>>
Year 2216 /g/
Telemetry in Windows 10.7.4.9 = Spying
Botnet botnet
Windows 10.6.8.1 rules
>>
>>51391413
qt
>>
>>51384447

true except for the fact that it gathers keyboard input. and has info on all your web browsing habbits and it has detailed info on your files.
>>
>>51384447
>key logging isn't spying
>>
>>51391681
But Cortana is spying
>>
shilling for shekels are we? good goyim

if telemetry is not spying, then you should be able to disable it. after all, YOU own your copy of win10, NOT microsoft. It's YOU who decide IF microsoft should have access to your data, NOT otherway around. Also...
>wikipedia is an objective source of information
topkex mate
>>
>>51387606

>Microsoft just doesnt give a shit about paranoidal complains

Facebook provides 1.5billion reasons why they shouldn't care about invading peoples privacy. The vast majority of people don't care and those that do are tin foil hat subversives who obviously have something to hide.
>>
>>51385547
Microsoft wants to be a cloud company. You know, like Facebook and Google. It's not even a new thing, remember when they tried to become like AOL? What do all these companies have in common?

>Sell ads
>Market research
>control information channels
>prevent "misuse"
>enforce "intellectual property"
>you are not the customer you are the product
>>
anyone have the windows 10 guide?
>>
>>51393197
Guide,no.. Use win10 offline
>>
If I'm already on 8.1, should I just get W10?
>>
>>51393745
No no no
>>
>>51392826
>YOU own your copy of win10, NOT microsoft. It's YOU who decide IF microsoft should have access to your data, NOT otherway around.
I'm not sure if this is even true, you're too used to Linux world. In Windows you need to agree to some gigantic EULA which gives them the legal power to do whatever they want. There should be a list in EULA focusing on the most important things, like
>We WILL collect your
>name
>address
>location
>IP
>age
>sex
>browser history
>family member names
>credit card info
>your income
>your toilet schedule
>your phone number
>your shoe size
>your emails
>your first born baby and make him/her a shill

and not hide it in a long list of mumbo jumbo.
>>
>>51394571
that's my point. microsoft is stealing from people by pirating personal information and re-selling it to third parties without compensating you for it. that's stealing.

it's like advertising: people generate huge amount of money through ads, but do they compensate the people, who generate those incomes buy clicking their content? no of course not.
>>
File: IMG_20151117_171629.jpg (2 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151117_171629.jpg
2 MB, 4160x3120
Guys i fell for the w10 meme. I upgraded from w7 and my computer stopped being able to wake from sleep and would bluescreen on shutdown about 25% of the time. I tried uninstalling drivers and letting w10 update them to try and fix the issue, now this is what i get. Im guessing it BTFO my sata driver. Thanks Microsoft.
>>
>>51394571
>In Windows you need to agree to some gigantic EULA which gives them the legal power to do whatever they want
Not like Linux where you agree to a huge amount of EULAs because everything is thirdparty
>>
>>51394825
>re-selling it to third parties without compensating you for it. that's stealing
Think Jewgle, not Microsoft. M$ just want you to buy their shitty apps and give the data to the NSA.
>>
File: mfw164464.png (273 KB, 368x447) Image search: [Google]
mfw164464.png
273 KB, 368x447
>>51384447
>he astroturfs on an anonymous onlin anime image board's technology section for a very very small wage
>>
File: file.png (11 KB, 411x300) Image search: [Google]
file.png
11 KB, 411x300
>>51385621
what the fuck
my isp seems to be blocking this site
>>
>>51388411
>host based packet sniffing
L M A O
>>
>>51398066
*citation needed*
>>
>>51398157
How much do you make per post? Or is it per thread? Is there a set number of replies you have to achieve depending on the thread activity?
Just curious desu. Was thinking about signing up myself as a 3rd job to make some extra cash for investing or something.
>>
>>51398157
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2365060/microsoft-caught-astroturfing-bloggers-again-to-promote-internet-explorer.html

Microsoft has been doing it for decades now. It's standard practice for them. The thing is, they're so devoid of class and subtlety that they fuck even this up, and hire obvious mongoloids to do their shilling.
>>
>>51388039
Get a job at microsoft then.

Only they know, and the only way we can know is
1) Fully reverse engineer windows source code
This breaks on the next windows update
2) A leak from a microsoft insider
This breaks on the next windows update, and how reliable is the leak?

Any form of traffic monitoring can't verify that win10 doesn't send back information.
It can only verify win 10 DOES send back information.

One possible reason among many for this, is that if windows someone knew it was being monitored, it could change what it sent back.
>>
>>51387446
> It's least comfy Windows ever released and that's quite a statement after Win8 massacre.
Get outta here with that. Sure, 10 isn't at 7/XP's level of comfort, but it's leagues ahead of 8.

8 was literally a fucking eye sore with the colored windows, mishmash of flat design and Aero leftovers, and all the various wannabe smart phone bullshit.
>>
File: 077.jpg (216 KB, 569x571) Image search: [Google]
077.jpg
216 KB, 569x571
>install the TH2 windows 10 update
>all settings are gone (settings app, control panel, nvidia settings, everything)
>VMware doesn't even start
>Speccy removed because it's "unsupported" according to Windows market place but i downloaded it via piriform website and i don't even have a fucking microsoft account
>20Gb windows.old folder created on my 120GB SSD
>$Windows.BT 3Gb folder that is the install files for the TH2 update and is hidden
>duplicate user folder named "users.migrated"
>all standard programs reset to microsoft apps
>all microsoft apps restored that were previously uninstalled via powershell
>FireFox doesn't show up in the list of available standard programs
>media feature pack (that allows camera import pictures and windows media player etc) for N versions of Windows uninstalled

jesus christ. 300 fucking euro for the Pro version and i get this just from one fucking update?

Atleast i got my fucking colored title bars atleast
>>
>>51399168
You deserved every bit of that and more you faggot.
>>
>>51399168

Welcome to the OS of the the future!

>>
>>51385621
>mfw there's system wide spell check.

Only reason people scream key logger

Fucking plebs.
>>
>>51399168
Windows 10 is in beta stage so..
>>
winBUMP
>>
I wonder if sp1 will address the massive clusterfuck that is the control panels.
>>
No more service packs
>>
>>51388608
Except people DID try it, found it to be shit, because that's what it is, shit with driver issues, a window manager that still doesn't cover everyone's use cases, a laughable implementation of virtual workspaces. Admit it, Windows is broken by design, and all the telemetry shit isn't helping either.
So fuck off shill.
>>
My mother bought W10 for her laptop, how does that make you feel guys?
>>
>>51388608
I usually wait a couple of months, at least sp1, before upgrading. I've played with 10 in a VM for a while but its a fucking mess and inconsistent as fuck.

I wouldn't even expect inconsistencies like that from rc1.
>>
>>51403401
I can tell you nomy mother would hate it. She even gets flustered with deleted shortcuts so any kind of change is unsettling to her in regards to tech. She will most likely use it until her laptop dies and has no choice.

My gfs mother is the same. Struggles to use a fucking iPhone.
>>
File: no_german.jpg (159 KB, 329x528) Image search: [Google]
no_german.jpg
159 KB, 329x528
>>51384447
so can you block it yet?
>>
>>51384447
hands down, best windows yet
>>
>IT'S OKAY GAIZ, WINDOWS 10 IS ONLY A LITTLE BIT BACKDOORED!
>>
>>51403832
25 Bing points has been deposited to your Outlook account
>>
File: face2.png (119 KB, 312x314) Image search: [Google]
face2.png
119 KB, 312x314
>>51403905
>>
Cortana is voice of BING
>>
>>51403434
She used to build my PC when I was younger. Oh how the mighty have fallen.
>>
>>51385547
>maybe because they want those data
without explicit permission this is theft. Clicking "next" during install is not explicit.

>Sound to me like they just want to find how to make their futur updates more adapted to the way you use your stuff
total non sequitur.
>their business is to make a computer you can use for what you want
their business is to make money at all and any costs. period. if that means they have to datamine your sorry ass to earn some shekerus with ads, they will.
>>
>>51388411
you can see encrypted packets being sent to microsoft.
that's a red flag right there.
>>
just stop that shit at FW level if you're tinfoil
>>
Charging smartphone over usb will expose your sd card and internal memory to spying!!! Alert Alert Alert!!! Code Red Alert!!!
>>
>>51404143
WAKE UP SHEEPLE!
>>
Pure horror
>>
>>51384447
MS's attitude is the most troubling aspect of this. When it does bother to respond to criticism from the plebs, it's a simple "Yeah, that's right, deal with it."

MS is now aggressively copying Apple's philosophy of telling the users what they may or may not do. Remember the simpler, more naive days when we thought MS's arrogance peaked with Windows 8?
>>
For a board concerned with countering intelligence organizations you sure do use lot of Google products like Androids.
>>
>>51398016
You don't sound like you have any idea what you are talking about.
>>
Telemetry is god Win 10 the best,but i use 8.1
>>
Photo viewer dont work when you are offline..
>>
>>51384447
>it's not personal data
>it's just data about how you use your personal machine
>>
>>51406718
And your name is Rupesh you are from India and you work for Microsoft
>>
>>51384447
Win 10 niggers get in here and represent. Feels good to have this new UI and compositor.
>>
>>51404830
Android is FOSS
Fuck off shill
>>
Guys I can PROVE MS is using WIn10 for nefarious purposes, collecting ALL the data.

Let me just link that study for proof. Gosh where did that link go. Stand by...

It's not an article from 2014 talking about the preview either. Man it was just here.... I had it...
>>
>implying meta data isnt MORE useful anyway
WOW
>>
>>51396048
I can easily recreate that by changing my bios from ahci to ide you dumbfuck. Do not install in wrong mode.
>>
>>51404059
>you can see encrypted packets being sent to microsoft.
how about no?
>>
>>51394825
>that's my point. microsoft is stealing from people by pirating personal information and re-selling it to third parties without compensating you for it. that's stealing.
While google did that before and microsoft didn't ever do it, both don't do it now. Google is generáting the revenue not by selling information but by selling ad space which they themselves are the only ones in control over.
No one needs to buy what said ads offer, just like you don't need to buy what tv ads offer while watching.
>>
imgur more spy than win10
>>
>people are actually this naive
The way you use your computer IS the important information bot. Why would I care WHAT you have to say? Instead I can learn about how frequently you communicate, to whom, from where, what applications you use, for how long, how often your computer is idle at what times of day. I could go on. This information when presented over a long enough time period can reveal more information about you than you may be aware of. For example, if company X determines that you try to troubleshoot problems on your own, in a certain way, and they can arbitrarily run code on your computer(microsoft), they could just as easily use that information to manipulate you into using their support services. "wow the phone number for microsoft was right there when I "needed" it!" and of course the fact that you feel you can trust a big corporation like microsoft with ANYTHING is disheartening. We all know they work with different government agencies and share information about your behaviors. Why DOESNT that scare you? They could have a behavior profile on you, that they could potentially either use for malicious purpose or sell to someone who can(governments, highest bidder, marketing companies of the world)
In its purest form its another way for microsoft to take more of your money, in the worst case its how they manipulate you.
>But my improved UI...
Worth it.
>>
>>51407705
>They could have a behavior profile on you
Sorry to inform you but even porn sites have that nowadays.
You just need to go check what you're presented with on the first page if you're on different devices.
>>
>>51407802
>Not sure of being trolled...
The argument that because a porn does it, its okay, is a terrible argument. The fact that everyone does it, does not justify it.In fact I would argue that it IS the problem.
>>
>>51407841
And yet the fact remains you cannot prove any of the fucking bullshit about this. If you really think all of your fucking keystrokes are being sent back to microsoft every 15 minutes you are dumb as a rock.
>>
>>51407863
>If you really think all of your fucking keystrokes are being sent back to microsoft every 15 minutes you are dumb as a rock.
This.
>>
>>51407705
>that they could potentially either use for
>they could potentially
>could

what if, tinfoil post #1392430
>>
>>51407863
Never claimed that.
Good counter argument though :)
In fact I would guess they couldnt handle that much information. they dont want keystrokes because they dont care about what you have to say.
>Countering a argument I never made
Good job bruh.
>>
>>51407896
>what if, tinfoil post #1392430
>tinfoil post
>tinfoil
spot the shill, $2000 alex.
>>
>>51407906
I wasn't the original person you were talking to, I am just pointing out how fucking retarded people like you are. And since you are using the internet, that means your ISP also has the same data on you. So if you don't refuse to use anything else that does that, what makes you so special by refusing to use windows?
>>
>>51407950
>refuse to use
>implying I refuse anything
Never claimed to refuse anything.
Man, having arms as long as your must be nice.
>reaching
>>
>>51392826
Software is not a tangible good like hardware. Unless you wrote the software yourself, you don't own jack shit, you are just licensed to use it. A license which can be revoked at any moment if you violate and/or ignore the end-user LICENSE AGREEMENT.
>>
People don't get it. The fact that M$ might not be doing it now doesn't fucking matter. WHAT FUCKING MATTERS is that M$ IS ALLOWED TO DO THAT IN THE FUCKING TERMS AND YOU AGREED TO IT.
THEY CAN FUCKING DO IT ANYTIME IN THE FUTURE WHEN THEY DECIDE THEY WANT TO
>>
>>51408022
>CAPS LOCK
>>
>>51408012
I feel like you are implying that its okay to spy because you have been forced into buying a license. Now if I were to counter that I would say"Your not forced to use microsoft products at all" which is true except thats like saying you are not required to use the operating system that comes on your phone. Thats true and in alot of cases you COULD change it but for the average laymen that exists so far outside of what they understand that its practically impossible.
>>51408022
Agreed. I equate this to a government being able to detain you for anyreason and having a microphone in your pocket. The problem is tbhat they CAN, not whether or not they DO.
>>
>>51408086
I don't have an opinion on the spying/telemetry thing. All I was saying is that it's a common misconception that because you pay for something means you own it, which is not always the case, such as with software.
>>
>>51408133
That's fair.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.
>>
>>51384447
Uniquely identifiable general usage data. Just like cell phone metadata. If you don't believe that's spying you need to do some reading on how much can be inferred from usage data.
>>
>>51406747
No my name is Lorde
>>
>>51384447
You all complain about this shiz, use a router that has IP tables and control your ports. I have already made 60+ fixes to prevent leaking any data "I" consider not for prying eyes
>>
>>51408494
Smart move
>>
B u m p
>>
It's just Meta data! says the Corporation
Nobody's recording your calls! says Obama
It's for your security! says Congress
Thread replies: 199
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.